Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Abortion

Abortion Abortion Forum - A complex ethical, moral, philosophical, biological, and legal issue


View Poll Results: Would you still support abortion if you were convinced that abortions kill a Child?
Yes, I probably would 5 55.56%
No, I probably would not 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Thanks Tree128Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2016, 06:28 PM   #141
Self Banned
 
Chuz Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
If you are hung up on the legal definitions
I'm not hung up on definitions at all. I think the definitions are fine as they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
relax
If I were any more relaxed, I would be asleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
abortion is legal, because fetuses aren't persons. That's settled law.
Abortion is legal in spite of the fact that human beings in the fetal stage of their life are being denied the equal protections of our laws and if it were "settled law" there would be no challenges to it.

It's FAR from settled law when the nation remains divided on it.

Chuz Life is offline  
Old January 31st, 2016, 06:30 PM   #142
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 29,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
the ignore list...DTT safe zone.


Personally, I consider being on his and Franklin's ignore lists a badge of honor.
Thanks from Sabcat

Last edited by RNG; January 31st, 2016 at 06:49 PM.
RNG is offline  
Old January 31st, 2016, 06:36 PM   #143
Put some ice on that
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 26,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
Personally, I carry being on his and Franklin's ignore lists a badge of honor.
maybe he will also make a list

i figured he was a "justice for all" poster or something along those lines. those guys come to my city frequently and i love to fuck w/ them. when it comes to abortion i understand the perspective of the religious, i couldn't even get a POV from this guy much less an argument. just a bunch of scripted talking points. no agenda...funny.
Thanks from RNG
Sabcat is online now  
Old January 31st, 2016, 06:47 PM   #144
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
I'm not hung up on definitions at all. I think the definitions are fine as they are.



If I were any more relaxed, I would be asleep.



Abortion is legal in spite of the fact that human beings in the fetal stage of their life are being denied the equal protections of our laws and if it were "settled law" there would be no challenges to it.

It's FAR from settled law when the nation remains divided on it.

It's settled, like same sex marriage, it's done, some people will challenge the law, some people will plant bombs at clinics, some people will murder doctors and patients, but the law is that abortion is legal.
goober is offline  
Old January 31st, 2016, 06:54 PM   #145
Senior Member
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
It's settled, like same sex marriage, it's done, some people will challenge the law, some people will plant bombs at clinics, some people will murder doctors and patients, but the law is that abortion is legal.
Black-letter law is not subject to dispute, so you are wrong again.
Thanks from Chuz Life
Jimmyb is offline  
Old January 31st, 2016, 06:55 PM   #146
Self Banned
 
Chuz Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
It's settled, like same sex marriage, it's done, some people will challenge the law, some people will plant bombs at clinics, some people will murder doctors and patients, but the law is that abortion is legal.

LOL, so it's "settled" until it changes again.

Okay.

Got it.
Chuz Life is offline  
Old February 1st, 2016, 03:41 AM   #147
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
Black-letter law is not subject to dispute, so you are wrong again.
right over your head
goober is offline  
Old February 1st, 2016, 12:32 PM   #148
Senior Member
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
right over your head
It is apparent that it went right over my head. I will defer to your legal education and background in the matter of settled law. I will need you to explain it to me in simple terms so I can understand what exactly settled law may be.

Perhaps you could start off with the basics such as when you were educated regarding Hornbook law and explain that concept to me in your own words from your legal education. I have no idea what that term means, but for some reason that term is in my head, and I do not know where it came from or what it means. I think it may have something to do with settled law. Just so I am not missing anything, throw in the common law history of same-sex marriage for the past couple of centuries so it will tie in nicely with Hornbook law.

Perhaps you can move on from Hornbook law to black-letter law. I just cannot wrap my head around this concept. I am certain that you can explain what black-letter law is and its counterpart trite law

It seems that Roe v. Wade is so entrenched that it is surely black-letter law as it has not been challenged for the past forty years, but I just cannot seem to connect the dots. I thought I read somewhere on the internet that it was challenged, but I am probably wrong. Moreover, certainly there has not been over one-hundred state laws restricting abortion, multiple court cases since Roe, nor has public opinion shifted to the majority being against abortion. I also heard somewhere that the Supreme Court granted cert for a Texas abortion law. This certainly must be a mistake as this would make Roe, not black-letter law. For some reason, there is a case stuck in my head called Singh v Canada from 1997. A sharp legal mind such as yours and with your legal education and background must have access to Canadian federal cases. However, just in case, there is a technical glitch, here is a link to the ruling and trite law: Link

I am certain that you can clear this up for me and demonstrate that Roe has been mechanically applied since the ruling as that is the only way that it could be black-letter law.
Thanks from Chuz Life
Jimmyb is offline  
Old February 1st, 2016, 12:55 PM   #149
Self Banned
 
Chuz Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
It is apparent that it went right over my head. I will defer to your legal education and background in the matter of settled law. I will need you to explain it to me in simple terms so I can understand what exactly settled law may be.

Perhaps you could start off with the basics such as when you were educated regarding Hornbook law and explain that concept to me in your own words from your legal education. I have no idea what that term means, but for some reason that term is in my head, and I do not know where it came from or what it means. I think it may have something to do with settled law. Just so I am not missing anything, throw in the common law history of same-sex marriage for the past couple of centuries so it will tie in nicely with Hornbook law.

Perhaps you can move on from Hornbook law to black-letter law. I just cannot wrap my head around this concept. I am certain that you can explain what black-letter law is and its counterpart trite law

It seems that Roe v. Wade is so entrenched that it is surely black-letter law as it has not been challenged for the past forty years, but I just cannot seem to connect the dots. I thought I read somewhere on the internet that it was challenged, but I am probably wrong. Moreover, certainly there has not been over one-hundred state laws restricting abortion, multiple court cases since Roe, nor has public opinion shifted to the majority being against abortion. I also heard somewhere that the Supreme Court granted cert for a Texas abortion law. This certainly must be a mistake as this would make Roe, not black-letter law. For some reason, there is a case stuck in my head called Singh v Canada from 1997. A sharp legal mind such as yours and with your legal education and background must have access to Canadian federal cases. However, just in case, there is a technical glitch, here is a link to the ruling and trite law: Link

I am certain that you can clear this up for me and demonstrate that Roe has been mechanically applied since the ruling as that is the only way that it could be black-letter law.
It's not often that I see something in these forums that I have never read before.

Thank you for this.
Thanks from Jimmyb
Chuz Life is offline  
Old February 1st, 2016, 01:08 PM   #150
Senior Member
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
It's not often that I see something in these forums that I have never read before.

Thank you for this.
Settled law or black-letter law is not contested in the courts each year, does not have over one-hundred state laws restricting it, and does not have the majority of Americans against it over the course of forty years, or even a few years. To state that Roe v. Wade is settled law is comically ignorant.
Thanks from Chuz Life
Jimmyb is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Abortion

Tags
abortion, child, chuz life, proponents, question



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Abortion Rights Leader Nails Hypocrisy Of Anti-Abortion Activists LongWinded Abortion 3 December 14th, 2015 03:06 PM
10-Year-Old Rape Victim Denied Abortion: The Horrific Realities of Abortion Bans LongWinded Abortion 32 December 7th, 2015 01:02 PM
Proponents Say They Have Signatures to Put Pot Legalization to a Vote in Calif. intangible child Money and Finance 0 December 14th, 2009 06:43 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.