Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Religion > Atheism


Thanks Tree20Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Franklin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
Are there any moral atheists here? Any atheists who understand how completely evil liberalism, feminism, and modern culture are?
After 4 pages, my original question seems to have been lost. So here it is again (above). And the answer seems to be "no".
Franklin is offline  
Old August 7th, 2015, 05:50 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Nwolfe35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 16,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
After 4 pages, my original question seems to have been lost. So here it is again (above). And the answer seems to be "no".
If the question were "Has Franklin shown any common sense?" then I agree, the answer seems to be no.
Thanks from Clara007
Nwolfe35 is online now  
Old August 7th, 2015, 07:06 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Asimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwolfe35 View Post
If the question were "Has Franklin shown any common sense?" then I agree, the answer seems to be no.
Nwolfe is absolutely correct in that one doesn't NEED a conscious religious agenda to motivate oneself to do good things. Cyrus of Persia, for example, was not a Christian OR a Jew, in fact he proclaimed himself to be divine, yet he instituted religious and cultural toleration across his empire to an extent that had never been seen. Why? To generate peace and stability within the Persian Empire, and discourage conquered subject peoples from fomenting rebellion.

Certainly people of non-faith in organized religious precepts are capable of doing great things. And religious people are just as capable of doing horrendous things. This is indisputable. So what benefit is religion? Why not get rid of it altogether? I can only say that Aldous Huxley's Brave New World was meant to be a satire, not a utopia. If people want to believe that murder and theft and rape and child pornography are morally wrong because God forbids it... fine. Let them refrain from such behavior and don't complain because you question their motives. Just let them be good. We've got enough bad people in the world, so leave the good ones alone and recognize who are the REAL enemies of peace.

Last edited by Asimov; August 7th, 2015 at 07:09 PM.
Asimov is offline  
Old August 7th, 2015, 07:15 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Franklin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimov View Post
Nwolfe is absolutely correct in that one doesn't NEED a conscious religious agenda to motivate oneself to do good things. Cyrus of Persia, for example, was not a Christian OR a Jew, in fact he proclaimed himself to be divine, yet he instituted religious and cultural toleration across his empire to an extent that had never been seen. Why? To generate peace and stability within the Persian Empire, and discourage conquered subject peoples from fomenting rebellion.

Certainly people of non-faith in organized religious precepts are capable of doing great things. And religious people are just as capable of doing horrendous things. This is indisputable. So what benefit is religion? Why not get rid of it altogether? I can only say that Aldous Huxley's Brave New World was meant to be a satire, not a utopia. If people want to believe that murder and theft and rape and child pornography are morally wrong because God forbids it... fine. Let them refrain from such behavior and don't complain because you question their motives. Just let them be good. We've got enough bad people in the world, so leave the good ones alone and recognize who are the REAL enemies of peace.
I don't know your religion and haven't read many of your posts, but based on this post I would guess modern Protestant (not a good religion).

Now, what does this post of yours have to do with Nwolfe's quote?

Nwolfe didn't say conscious religious agenda, he is against any religious agenda, conscious or not.

Do you think Cyrus of Persia was an atheist? Or rather are you dismissing all non-Abrahamic religions as not even counting? I suspect the latter, which is narrow minded.

That religious people are capable of doing horrendous things is irrelevant. Religion is a necessary condition, but not a sufficient condition, for maintaining morality.
Franklin is offline  
Old August 7th, 2015, 08:31 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Asimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
Now, what does this post of yours have to do with Nwolfe's quote?
I apologize. I was responding to this statement; I just clicked on the wrong avatar.

Correct and reasoned self interest tells me that I treat others with respect if I want the same treatment in return... The Question I get asked by religious people all the time is, Without God, what’s to stop me from raping all I want? And my answer is, I do rape all I want, and the amount I want is Zero. And I do murder all I want, and the amount is Zero. The fact that there people think that if they didn’t have this person watching over them that they would go on killing, raping rampages is the most self-damning thing I can imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
Do you think Cyrus of Persia was an atheist? Or rather are you dismissing all non-Abrahamic religions as not even counting? I suspect the latter, which is narrow minded.
Of course Cyrus wasn't an atheist. How could he be an atheist if he claimed to be divine himself? That would be silly.

And religion being used to justify horrendous things is not irrelevant. It is history. As you admitted, you don't know much about me or my beliefs, so it would be wise to reserve judgement. In exchange, I will refrain from judging you, even though much of what you say sounds puritanical and harsh.
Asimov is offline  
Old August 8th, 2015, 09:19 AM   #46
#freetommy
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 27,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
After 4 pages, my original question seems to have been lost. So here it is again (above). And the answer seems to be "no".
Maybe if you didn't have the extensive "ignore" list you bragged about you may get some answers. Dick.
Thanks from RNG and Beasty
Sabcat is offline  
Old October 25th, 2016, 12:03 PM   #47
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,972
Nothing faith for me when God doesn't care about my belief.
Kipper is offline  
Old October 25th, 2016, 12:16 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Franklin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
Nothing faith for me when God doesn't care about my belief.
So you have no faith that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning?
Franklin is offline  
Old October 25th, 2016, 12:37 PM   #49
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
So you have no faith that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning?
It is evening this european lives.
Kipper is offline  
Old November 1st, 2016, 11:38 PM   #50
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,972
Evil in hell are a part of atheists policy. The Heavy Metal are evil music.
Kipper is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Religion > Atheism

Tags
atheists, moral



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a moral hell hot dragon Religion 37 July 5th, 2014 10:26 PM
What makes something moral? Nwolfe35 Philosophy 216 November 30th, 2013 01:56 AM
.............. What About the Atheists ? dadman Atheism 170 November 28th, 2012 04:03 AM
What Atheists Are dusty Atheism 341 November 26th, 2012 01:43 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.