Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Religion > Atheism


Thanks Tree43Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
dusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: north east usa
Posts: 3,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWinded View Post
Your deity is an inanimate book? OMG.....which one?
its not a dam deity
its the words of god
and I pity you who don't know god not only exist
he is real. I am real you are real we exist with god
he is real.
I waist me time no more here
dusty is offline  
Old September 12th, 2015, 03:57 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
LongWinded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 11,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
its not a dam deity
its the words of god
and I pity you who don't know god not only exist
he is real. I am real you are real we exist with god
he is real.
I waist me time no more here
He's not real. IF he were real, he would have presented himself to the world. I know, you old fall back of "free will" but even that doesn't change it.

You guys go ahead and be knee jerked around by white guys who want to control you and your money. For me, I'm going to be responsible for my life and actions and words and then I'll die.
LongWinded is offline  
Old September 12th, 2015, 07:01 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
Questioning ourselves is often a good practice to undertake. But why do we need to invent some super-daddy in the sky who cares about us as individuals?
Why does God have to be a super-daddy? Really? that kind of pisses me off, because it is so patriarchal.

Last edited by Athena; September 12th, 2015 at 07:09 AM.
Athena is offline  
Old September 12th, 2015, 07:02 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWinded View Post
However, in the absence of any deity showing itself to the masses and laying out what contradictions in the Bible are right and which are wrong, humanity is what YOU rely on to interpret this book you consider written by the deity. In the 50's and 60's, this book championed for the poor and pushed equal rights in this nation. In the 80's, 90' to now,this books pushes for the rich to get richer and the poor to suck it up and die.

So, the "book", this "infallible word" of your deity, seems to get interpreted by man and it depends on who is in power.
Why do you refer to a book?
Athena is offline  
Old September 12th, 2015, 07:08 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwolfe35 View Post
Then what are we to hold as "the highest authority"?

If you say "god" then, short of actual face to face communication with the god in question, you are depending on other humans to communicate the edicts from that authority. You are just relying on humans who say they speak for "the highest authority". How is that any different then depending on a human as the authority?

Personally I think we need to question ANY authority, especially authority that claims to be from "god".
Well, I think math and science are excellent sources of information. I tend to believe what the humans who convey this information say, but I try to keep an open mind.

Perhaps you confused my sense of God with revealed religions? You do not seem to be talking of Cicero's understanding of God.
Athena is offline  
Old September 12th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #26
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 31,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Why does God have to be a super-daddy? Really? that kind of pisses me off, because it is so patriarchal.
The word "god" connotes that in our culture.

I like IT's concept of using, perhaps "the force" or to forestall Star Wars confusion, "a force" for a non-biblical creator or whatever.
RNG is offline  
Old September 12th, 2015, 09:59 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
LongWinded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 11,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Why do you refer to a book?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
you simple pea brain
want a deity
read the bible
as if he needs a deity that you are using to reply to my post
from reading another post on how stupid a deity is
Because it is a book. It's a collection of stories handed down by word of mouth. It's a collection that was put together by religious guys. Nothing more, nothing less. It is not holy in and of itself. Those who see it connected with a deity make it holy in their minds.
LongWinded is offline  
Old September 12th, 2015, 10:00 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
LongWinded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 11,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Why does God have to be a super-daddy? Really? that kind of pisses me off, because it is so patriarchal.
He's referred to as the "Father". People who believe in it call themselves his children.
LongWinded is offline  
Old September 12th, 2015, 10:38 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Asimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,881
I wish somebody would explain to Atheists like Stalin and Pol-Pot, et al, how they didn't need to believe they were accountable for the mass murders they perpetrated because faith in God is a hindrance to the human social moral fabric. It' s much more beneficial to humankind to believe in nothing other than oneself.

This a a response to someone who claims, "Atheists (broad sweep) are more moral than people of faith because they are naturally good without having to fear punishment for their sins." What a crock! Atheists are human just like everybody else, and they come in good and bad and all shades of gray. Denying accountability to someone greater than ourselves doesn't make a person moral, any more than stepping into a church. Moral character runs much deeper than believing there is or is not a god.

I'm not saying Atheists are automatically evil. That's stupid. What I'm saying is that they're not automatically "good."
Thanks from RNG
Asimov is offline  
Old September 12th, 2015, 01:14 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
LongWinded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 11,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimov View Post
I wish somebody would explain to Atheists like Stalin and Pol-Pot, et al, how they didn't need to believe they were accountable for the mass murders they perpetrated because faith in God is a hindrance to the human social moral fabric. It' s much more beneficial to humankind to believe in nothing other than oneself.

This a a response to someone who claims, "Atheists (broad sweep) are more moral than people of faith because they are naturally good without having to fear punishment for their sins." What a crock! Atheists are human just like everybody else, and they come in good and bad and all shades of gray. Denying accountability to someone greater than ourselves doesn't make a person moral, any more than stepping into a church. Moral character runs much deeper than believing there is or is not a god.

I'm not saying Atheists are automatically evil. That's stupid. What I'm saying is that they're not automatically "good."
Well, let's look at it like this. Hitler was a Christian.
LongWinded is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Religion > Atheism

Tags
atheists, group, moral, religious



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moral Atheists? Franklin Atheism 51 February 7th, 2017 07:35 PM
Religious Leaders On Senate Torture Report: 'Complete Moral Bankruptcy' LongWinded Christianity 0 December 10th, 2014 01:49 PM
The Religious Right Champions Moral Relevitism In Defense Of Phil Robertson skews13 Current Events 44 January 21st, 2014 11:33 AM
If Atheists Acted Religious ... tristanrobin Gay and Lesbian Rights 84 February 14th, 2012 01:26 PM
Religious people discriminate Atheists DONT!! Adam&Steve Religion 7 March 2nd, 2007 01:44 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.