Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Religion > Atheism


Thanks Tree12Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2017, 02:17 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Nwolfe35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 16,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
So if there can be a master computer that runs everything, why not God?
Atheists don't say, "There can't be a God."

We say, "After 6,000 years of looking for a god no credible evidence for the existence of one has been shown so I don't believe one exists."

Personally I would also add, "At what point should we stop worrying about it and concentrate on what we KNOW does exist?"
Nwolfe35 is offline  
Old September 2nd, 2017, 04:56 AM   #12
Coconut Lure
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwolfe35 View Post
Atheists don't say, "There can't be a God."

We say, "After 6,000 years of looking for a god no credible evidence for the existence of one has been shown so I don't believe one exists."

Personally I would also add, "At what point should we stop worrying about it and concentrate on what we KNOW does exist?"
Define "credible evidence".
webguy4 is offline  
Old September 2nd, 2017, 05:44 AM   #13
Hiding behind the sofa
 
MichaelT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Stockport. UK
Posts: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
Define "credible evidence".
Any evidence apart from claims made by ancient writers in religious texts.
MichaelT is offline  
Old September 2nd, 2017, 10:26 AM   #14
Coconut Lure
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
Any evidence apart from claims made by ancient writers in religious texts.
Obvious bias displayed in your definition, and I don't really believe you when you when you say "any".

You'll renege, I've been round this merry go round before.
webguy4 is offline  
Old September 2nd, 2017, 10:34 AM   #15
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 31,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
Obvious bias displayed in your definition, and I don't really believe you when you when you say "any".

You'll renege, I've been round this merry go round before.
What bias? Not believing that since the bible says the bible is god's word, then the bible is gods word?

That's not bias, that's logic.
RNG is offline  
Old September 2nd, 2017, 10:36 AM   #16
Coconut Lure
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
What bias? Not believing that since the bible says the bible is god's word, then the bible is gods word?

That's not bias, that's logic.
Not believing the Bible is Gods word is different than saying no ancient text can be evidence.
webguy4 is offline  
Old September 2nd, 2017, 11:23 AM   #17
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 31,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
Not believing the Bible is Gods word is different than saying no ancient text can be evidence.
He didn't say that, now did he?
RNG is offline  
Old September 2nd, 2017, 11:28 AM   #18
Coconut Lure
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
He didn't say that, now did he?
He said any evidence apart from ancient religious texts.

And I never said anything about believing the Bible on faith.

And this is all distraction to hide the fact every time I try to discuss this the definition of evidence is shifting sand, never stuck to.
webguy4 is offline  
Old September 2nd, 2017, 11:31 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 60,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
So if there can be a master computer that runs everything, why not God?
Why, necessarily, are the two mutually exclusive?
imaginethat is offline  
Old September 2nd, 2017, 11:36 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 60,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
He said any evidence apart from ancient religious texts.

And I never said anything about believing the Bible on faith.

And this is all distraction to hide the fact every time I try to discuss this the definition of evidence is shifting sand, never stuck to.
Conclusive evidence for the existence of God doesn't exist.

Likewise, conclusive evidence for the universe being an act of random interactions (never mind its origin) doesn't exist.

And odds aren't pertinent to this discussion. Ask the person who was hit by a lightning bolt.
imaginethat is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Philosophy and Religion > Religion > Atheism

Tags
atheists, questions



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
questions for atheists dusty Atheism 86 June 4th, 2017 06:09 PM
what is a atheists dusty Atheism 2 February 27th, 2017 04:29 PM
questions for Atheists dusty Atheism 10 May 25th, 2015 09:07 AM
.............. What About the Atheists ? dadman Atheism 170 November 28th, 2012 04:03 AM
What Atheists Are dusty Atheism 341 November 26th, 2012 01:43 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.