Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Ideologies > Big Government

Big Government Big Government Forum - Political Philosophy Forum


Thanks Tree38Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2016, 08:37 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
hot dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: australia
Posts: 9,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
And they mostly buy the politicians anyway, one way or another. Re-election costs a lot.
drug availability and price are not determined by market forces, its all done by secret meetings behind closed doors. pharma has their reps in those meetings, so do health insurance companies, who will ultimately be paying for them, and its politicians who adjudicate.
Thanks from imaginethat, Camelot and Sabcat
hot dragon is offline  
Old September 19th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #12
Banned
 
coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: nunya
Posts: 12,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot dragon View Post
it was a decision by the industry, not any individual corporation. had cannabis been legalised, pharma would have been competing with farmers, herbalists, home growers, naturopaths, they would have faced a lot of competition from outside their industry. this way, each individual active compound can be patented and marketed as a pill. this way pharma owns the entire therapeutic marijuana industry.

pharma have a superbly effective lobbying network, backed by the top doctors and academics from the best universities, and there is nobody airing the case against theirs. they look professional, they use science and evidence, they are backed by professors, they sound right, and there is nobody to tell the politicians when they arent.
I understand what you are saying, but big pharma could have became the market for the farmers and such. I see it like this. Archer Daniels Midland is a major corporation. They have really large grainery's all across the mid west. Think of ADM as big pharma for farmers. Had big Pharma jumped into this emerging market they could have became the biggest players in it. It could have created a network of farmers and others to sell their goods to big pharma. Then big pharma takes it to market. Instead they fought it for the reason you said. Just does not seem like a great business idea to me.
coke is offline  
Old September 19th, 2016, 09:33 PM   #13
Take a number
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 22,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by coke View Post
I understand what you are saying, but big pharma could have became the market for the farmers and such. I see it like this. Archer Daniels Midland is a major corporation. They have really large grainery's all across the mid west. Think of ADM as big pharma for farmers. Had big Pharma jumped into this emerging market they could have became the biggest players in it. It could have created a network of farmers and others to sell their goods to big pharma. Then big pharma takes it to market. Instead they fought it for the reason you said. Just does not seem like a great business idea to me.
Yeah, but pot heads love weed. There is weed porn w/ centerfolds and all. They like to smoke it, talk about it look at it, smell it and grow it you can't stop that w/o laws. Even then you can't.
Thanks from coke
Sabcat is offline  
Old September 19th, 2016, 09:58 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
hot dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: australia
Posts: 9,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by coke View Post
I understand what you are saying, but big pharma could have became the market for the farmers and such. I see it like this. Archer Daniels Midland is a major corporation. They have really large grainery's all across the mid west. Think of ADM as big pharma for farmers. Had big Pharma jumped into this emerging market they could have became the biggest players in it. It could have created a network of farmers and others to sell their goods to big pharma. Then big pharma takes it to market. Instead they fought it for the reason you said. Just does not seem like a great business idea to me.
your way farmers could also sell direct to customers, or to naturopaths, or customers can grow their own. pharma might be a big player in the market, but there is genuine competition.

their way, they arent one player in the market, they are the only player. they might need to compete with each other but thats ok, its a manipulated artificial market where the corporations rule, there is little real competition.
Thanks from imaginethat and Sabcat
hot dragon is offline  
Old September 19th, 2016, 10:05 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
hot dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: australia
Posts: 9,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by coke View Post
I understand what you are saying, but big pharma could have became the market for the farmers and such. I see it like this. Archer Daniels Midland is a major corporation. They have really large grainery's all across the mid west. Think of ADM as big pharma for farmers. Had big Pharma jumped into this emerging market they could have became the biggest players in it. It could have created a network of farmers and others to sell their goods to big pharma. Then big pharma takes it to market. Instead they fought it for the reason you said. Just does not seem like a great business idea to me.
using your analogy, imagine ADM lobbied government for a law that said "ADM is the only corporation allowed to buy and sell grain in the mid west." thats what pharma has done, they have manipulated government into passing regulation banned the competition from competing.
Thanks from Sabcat
hot dragon is offline  
Old September 20th, 2016, 02:51 AM   #16
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 25,043
Pharmaceutical companies are able to make exorbitant profits by way of our crazy patent laws. Sabcat hit the nail on the head. Pharmaceutical companies achieve monopolistic pricing power by way of patents and buying up their competition. They have done this with opioids. They cannot do this with marijuana.
Thanks from imaginethat, Sabcat and Clara007
Camelot is offline  
Old September 20th, 2016, 04:35 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
Pharmaceutical companies are able to make exorbitant profits by way of our crazy patent laws. Sabcat hit the nail on the head. Pharmaceutical companies achieve monopolistic pricing power by way of patents and buying up their competition. They have done this with opioids. They cannot do this with marijuana.

All the more reason to legalize MJ. This whole thing has such a ripple affect. Think of the people and industries impacted (or potentially impacted) by marijuana -- prison overpopulation, cartels, lobbyists, lawmakers, medical profession, states revenue.......
Just legalize the dang stuff and move on.
Thanks from Sabcat and Pilgrim
Clara007 is offline  
Old September 20th, 2016, 07:28 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
BubbaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 6,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
All the more reason to legalize MJ. This whole thing has such a ripple affect. Think of the people and industries impacted (or potentially impacted) by marijuana -- prison overpopulation, cartels, lobbyists, lawmakers, medical profession, states revenue.......
Just legalize the dang stuff and move on.
But that's just the point Clara, legalizing it would TAKE MONEY away from the people you mentioned. Government can't tax it, and corporations can't control it. People that already have enough money to buy the politicians who will not pass any legislation that harms their corporate masters.

Even in the states where it is legal, it's not fully legal. There are some very strange laws about who can grow and how much. Small farmers are still subject to having their crops seized and destroyed by police, even if they no longer go to jail for having it.

In one state the law failed because it gave a monopoly to six hand picked corporations. THEY and ONLY THEY would be allowed to grow and sell it. The people were willing to decriminalize it, they just weren't willing to hand over their state to a small group of corporations.
Thanks from Sabcat
BubbaJones is offline  
Old September 20th, 2016, 08:06 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaJones View Post
But that's just the point Clara, legalizing it would TAKE MONEY away from the people you mentioned. Government can't tax it, and corporations can't control it. People that already have enough money to buy the politicians who will not pass any legislation that harms their corporate masters.

Even in the states where it is legal, it's not fully legal. There are some very strange laws about who can grow and how much. Small farmers are still subject to having their crops seized and destroyed by police, even if they no longer go to jail for having it.

In one state the law failed because it gave a monopoly to six hand picked corporations. THEY and ONLY THEY would be allowed to grow and sell it. The people were willing to decriminalize it, they just weren't willing to hand over their state to a small group of corporations.

Yes I agree....but just like alcohol prohibition I think it's just a matter of time. People need to be educated. They need to know the history of cannabis. For most of human history, marijuana has been completely legal. It’s not a recently discovered plant, nor is it a long-standing law. The United States Census of 1850 counted 8,327 hemp “plantations” (minimum 2,000-acre farm) growing cannabis hemp for cloth, canvas and even the cordage used for baling cotton.
Along comes the Mexican connection and all the racism that involved. During the early 1900s small farmers resented big farmers who could hire Mexican field hands. Many Mexicans smoked cannabis.....so many states started prohibiting MJ use. Other states followed. Then then feds decided to create a whole department: the Federal Bureau of Narcotics. A guy named Harry Anslinger was named director and ol' Harry hated dark-skinned folks. Here are some quotes attributed to Harry:
“There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others.”

“…the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races.”

“Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death.”

“Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.”

“Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing”

“You smoke a joint and you’re likely to kill your brother.”

“Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind.”

And a *STAR* is born. Americans bought it. GAWD, we are so easy to manipulate. Ever since, we have feared the 'addictive degenerate drug'. Alcohol? OH IT'S FINE--so they rolled back prohibition on that, but the stigma of cannabis stayed and stayed. Here it is decades later and we're still dealing with this ridiculous crap.
Clara007 is offline  
Old September 20th, 2016, 08:18 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 10,693
Marijuana was criminalized in the 1930's because blacks and browns smoked it. Some will say that pot is a gate way drug but they are toting water in a leaky bucket.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Ideologies > Big Government

Tags
big, fight, gun, legalizatio, lobby, marijuana, money, pharma, spent, times



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Money Trail: Big Pharma intangible child Current Events 0 May 28th, 2015 09:21 PM
The Debt Ceiling Pays Off Money The Republicans Already Spent skews13 Current Events 38 January 7th, 2013 12:15 PM
Romney rolling in Iowa, New Hampshire on money well spent CNN Current Events 1 October 29th, 2007 12:48 PM
Romney rolling in Iowa, New Hampshire on money well spent Current Events 0 December 31st, 1969 04:00 PM
Romney rolling in Iowa, New Hampshire on money well spent Current Events 0 December 31st, 1969 04:00 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.