Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Discussion > Books and Literature

Books and Literature Books and Literature Forum - For topics and discussions about books and literature in the world


Thanks Tree81Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2017, 12:32 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 38,895
Other than the basic biological necessities to maintain life, there is no one most important thing to all human beings.
Jimmyb is offline  
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:07 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: California
Posts: 137
Jimmyb has joined! Well done, sir!

THE ANSWER

The answer is, knowledge. Whether first-hand or second-hand, knowledge is the single most indispensable thing to all living humans. People have died not because there wasn’t water or food available, but because they didn’t know how to get it. People have also died because they didn’t know what they were doing was going to kill them. And finally, an infant human will die if left alone because it doesn’t yet know how to take care of itself—which is where second-hand knowledge (in the form of an adult human) comes into play. This proves that knowledge, for human beings, is the most important thing. The more you know, the closer you are to the truth, the closer you are to the truth, that safer you are in the big, bad jungle.

Next question: what are the main components that identify a civilization as a civilization?
Alipes is offline  
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:20 PM   #13
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 27,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alipes View Post
Jimmyb has joined! Well done, sir!

THE ANSWER

The answer is, knowledge. Whether first-hand or second-hand, knowledge is the single most indispensable thing to all living humans. People have died not because there wasn’t water or food available, but because they didn’t know how to get it. People have also died because they didn’t know what they were doing was going to kill them. And finally, an infant human will die if left alone because it doesn’t yet know how to take care of itself—which is where second-hand knowledge (in the form of an adult human) comes into play. This proves that knowledge, for human beings, is the most important thing. The more you know, the closer you are to the truth, the closer you are to the truth, that safer you are in the big, bad jungle.

Next question: what are the main components that identify a civilization as a civilization?
I disagree with your analysis about babies. It isn't the lack of knowledge. More immediately is the fact that for many babies, they do not have the physical ability to obtain the necessities for sustaining life even if they had the knowledge.
Thanks from Hollywood and GhostRider
RNG is offline  
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:38 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 19,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
I disagree with your analysis about babies. It isn't the lack of knowledge. More immediately is the fact that for many babies, they do not have the physical ability to obtain the necessities for sustaining life even if they had the knowledge.
Good point. Even if a baby had the knowledge it needed water what good would that knowledge be if it could not physically reach the source of water?
Thanks from GhostRider
Hollywood is online now  
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:40 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: California
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
I disagree with your analysis about babies. It isn't the lack of knowledge. More immediately is the fact that for many babies, they do not have the physical ability to obtain the necessities for sustaining life even if they had the knowledge.
If babies were born physically capable as an adult, perhaps they could survive. But then maybe being mobile and oblivious is even more dangerous than laying there incapable of movement and oblivious.

We take it for granted when we order breakfast at the diner, but it's an awful lot of knowledge that got us to that moment.

More proof knowledge is supreme--Alzheimers folks, if they live long enough, die because they forget how to swallow: Do Alzheimer's Patients Forget How To Eat? - Alzheimer's Disease Center - EverydayHealth.com

Forgetting is a loss of knowledge. Knowledge, to human beings, if they are to live, is supreme.
Alipes is offline  
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: California
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Good point. Even if a baby had the knowledge it needed water what good would that knowledge be if it could not physically reach the source of water?
If he has the physical capability, but doesn't have the knowledge, what good is the former? Knowledge precedes all else in human importance.
Alipes is offline  
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:54 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 19,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alipes View Post
If he has the physical capability, but doesn't have the knowledge, what good is the former? Knowledge precedes all else in human importance.
Ok, I'll agree with that.

However, just to keep the game going and play the Devil's Advocate a bit, at what point does human will become involved?
What good is knowledge if one does not have the will to act upon that knowledge?
Hollywood is online now  
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:55 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 38,895
People have lived without any direct knowledge of anything.
Jimmyb is offline  
Old April 11th, 2017, 02:13 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: California
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Ok, I'll agree with that.

However, just to keep the game going and play the Devil's Advocate a bit, at what point does human will become involved?
What good is knowledge if one does not have the will to act upon that knowledge?
You are real Hollywood, and I appreciate that. We just want a little fun in our lives, what's wrong with that!

Human will comes from knowledge too. How would you know what you wanted unless you first knew what it was? In other words, there is no such thing as will or spirit or anything without knowledge first. Knowledge is supreme in the life of us funny little monkeys.
Alipes is offline  
Old April 11th, 2017, 02:13 PM   #20
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 27,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alipes View Post
If he has the physical capability, but doesn't have the knowledge, what good is the former? Knowledge precedes all else in human importance.
I don't agree. This is yet another question where a single answer will not cover all possibilities.

We could consider Alzheimer's sufferers as fodder for Darwin.

I would claim that a baby's incapacity is an example of how survival of the species is one of the high priorities.
RNG is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Discussion > Books and Literature

Tags
calling, duel, intellectuals



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama, Republicans duel over tax cut plans LongWinded Economics 1 April 13th, 2015 05:17 PM
Rebel Leader Challenges Ukrainian President To A Duel imaginethat Current Events 0 November 19th, 2014 09:31 AM
Dutch Intellectuals Apologize to Putin for Lies on MH17, Syria, Ukraine... katsung47 Current Events 27 September 19th, 2014 12:13 PM
Conspiracy of the “Intellectuals” coberst Philosophy 2 August 6th, 2008 01:06 PM
Gingrich vs. Kerry: Climate-change duel CNN Current Events 1 April 10th, 2007 08:57 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.