Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Discussion > Books and Literature

Books and Literature Books and Literature Forum - For topics and discussions about books and literature in the world


Thanks Tree81Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2017, 03:23 PM   #31
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 27,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alipes View Post
Of course the knowledge of where to move is of no use to an infant that can't move. That does not mean that movement supplants knowledge in supremacy of importance to human existence. Are there instances where strength takes the place of knowledge, or someone who is more knowledgeable is told to shut up? Yes, but that doesn't mean the knowledge denied is now less important.

Whether an infant is mobile or immobile, knowing where it is and where it needs to be is more important. You can't get where you want to be if you don't first know where you're at. Knowledge precedes all.

Walking and running are absolutely learned behaviors. It took an infant's eyes to see other humans doing it before it decided to try. The infant had to first know something about walking before it could do it.
Do you have children?
RNG is offline  
Old April 11th, 2017, 03:32 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 10,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alipes View Post
I was asking others what the most important thing is to a living human as an intellectual exercise, and fun.
I like to work difficult crossword puzzles without help of a dictionary because doing so keeps my problem solving mind active during retirement. I equate problem solving with intellectualism.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old April 11th, 2017, 03:56 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: California
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Sister View Post
I like to work difficult crossword puzzles without help of a dictionary because doing so keeps my problem solving mind active during retirement. I equate problem solving with intellectualism.
Same thing here kind of. That was the first question, the second question was/is: What are the main components that identify a civilization as a civilization.
Thanks from Twisted Sister
Alipes is offline  
Old April 11th, 2017, 04:44 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 10,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alipes View Post
Same thing here kind of. That was the first question, the second question was/is: What are the main components that identify a civilization as a civilization.
Prehistory is before writing and History is after writing and before agriculture we lived in a hunter and gatherer society which is not civilization. Agriculture is the civilizing force. IMHO
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old April 11th, 2017, 06:31 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: California
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Sister View Post
Prehistory is before writing and History is after writing and before agriculture we lived in a hunter and gatherer society which is not civilization. Agriculture is the civilizing force. IMHO
Agriculture is a science. Science is one of the main components that identifies a civilization, there are others. Guess how many and what they are.
Thanks from Twisted Sister
Alipes is offline  
Old April 11th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 10,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alipes View Post
Agriculture is a science. Science is one of the main components that identifies a civilization, there are others. Guess how many and what they are.
Honesty and Truthfulness are hard science in my opinion. Mathematics is not a science of any kind in my opinion.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old April 11th, 2017, 07:04 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: California
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Sister View Post
Honesty and Truthfulness are hard science in my opinion. Mathematics is not a science of any kind in my opinion.
Honesty and truthfulness are behavioral traits, mathematics is a tool used to verify scientific inquiry.
Thanks from Twisted Sister
Alipes is offline  
Old April 11th, 2017, 07:11 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 10,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alipes View Post
Honesty and truthfulness are behavioral traits, mathematics is a tool used to verify scientific inquiry.
Interesting but why is there no solution to Pi, my keyboard does not have the Pi symbol. I will tell you why if you want to know. 22 divided by 7 is close. Pi is a circle being described by a polygon and even if you have a billion sided polygon it will never be a circle.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old April 11th, 2017, 07:24 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: California
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Sister View Post
Interesting but why is there no solution to Pi, my keyboard does not have the Pi symbol. I will tell you why if you want to know. 22 divided by 7 is close. Pi is a circle being described by a polygon and even if you have a billion sided polygon it will never be a circle.
Nice TS. I like that.

Mathematics is not only a tool it is a phenomenon that mirrors the paradoxical nature of existence.

Pi is a circle described by a polygon. Nice.
Thanks from Twisted Sister
Alipes is offline  
Old April 11th, 2017, 07:40 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 10,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alipes View Post
Nice TS. I like that.

Mathematics is not only a tool it is a phenomenon that mirrors the paradoxical nature of existence.

Pi is a circle described by a polygon. Nice.
Paradoxical woke me up and that word makes me think of paradox which is a conundrum. Mystery? Parallax has to do with shooting stars in Navy lingo. Mark Mark barked the harelip dog. Parallel lines.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Discussion > Books and Literature

Tags
calling, duel, intellectuals



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama, Republicans duel over tax cut plans LongWinded Economics 1 April 13th, 2015 05:17 PM
Rebel Leader Challenges Ukrainian President To A Duel imaginethat Current Events 0 November 19th, 2014 09:31 AM
Dutch Intellectuals Apologize to Putin for Lies on MH17, Syria, Ukraine... katsung47 Current Events 27 September 19th, 2014 12:13 PM
Conspiracy of the “Intellectuals” coberst Philosophy 2 August 6th, 2008 01:06 PM
Gingrich vs. Kerry: Climate-change duel CNN Current Events 1 April 10th, 2007 08:57 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.