Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Social Issues > Bullying

Bullying Until recently, Bullying has been identified as a major concern in our Society.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 28th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
PaperAlchemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,433
What was that about wanting to protect the children?



Quote:



Sixth Bullied Student Sues Minnesota School District



Embattled Minnesota school district Anoka-Hennepin is being sued by a sixth student over the district’s sexual orientation policy that lawyers argue prevents staff from addressing LGBT issues, and most seriously anti-LGBT bullying.

The lawsuit launched by the National Center for Lesbian Rights was filed in federal district court in Minneapolis on Wednesday on behalf of a lesbian student and is a companion case to Doe v. Anoka-Hennepin School District No. 11, a federal lawsuit previously reported here that on behalf of five other district students argues the district has, through virtue of its policies, facilitated and refused to combat anti-LGBT bullying to the point at which students have endured anti-LGBT slurs and physical threats if not assaults as part of a daily routine. What is more, the suit charges that when such incidents are reported to teachers or school officials there has been almost no action taken because school officials are tied by the gag policy — a policy the district continues to defend as being a neutral standpoint on alternative lifestyles.

More from the NCLR blog:

The sixth student, who is referred to by her initials of E.R. in the complaint because she is a minor, started attending Anoka-Hennepin’s Jackson Middle School in September 2010 after her family moved into the district. Beginning on her first day in school, she faced a constant, daily barrage of taunts from other students, who called her names like’“faggot,’ ‘dyke,’ ‘he/she,’ and ‘it.’ While she regularly reported the harassment to teachers and administrators, they did not protect her. A staff member once told E.R. that she had heard other staff talking about E.R. in the office, saying that they wished the school could ‘get rid of her.’

“This is yet another incredibly distressing example of how the district’s shameful policy has hurt kids,” said NCLR Executive Director Kate Kendell. “The district has to stop turning its back on children, and recognize that its illegal policy that singles out those who are LGBT is the reason that so many children in their schools continue to be tormented—verbally, physically, and emotionally—every day.”

The district has a unique policy relating to LGBT topics in that it instructs teachers to remain “neutral” on the subject of LGBTs, that is to say they cannot appear to affirm that being gay or trans is normal or acceptable, but at the same time should not be seen to condemn pupils. What this reasonable sounding policy has translated to, NCLR argues, is an abandoning of responsibility where LGBT children and anti-LGBT bullying is concerned.

The district has not commented on this most recent case, but said when the original lawsuit was filed in July that the district was disappointed the NCLR has chosen to pursue court action rather than working with the district to improve its bullying policies, though it again reiterated that it fully supports the sexual orientation curriculum policy as it stands.

The district is also currently under investigation by the U.S. Justice Department over complaints of pervasive harassment in the district’s schools. This follows at least seven young people in the district having taken their own lives over the past two years, with a majority of those deaths attributed, at least in part, to bullying.[/left]
PaperAlchemist is offline  
Old August 28th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,333
Isn't that Bachmann's district? No wonder they've got problems.
skrekk is offline  
Old August 28th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #3
Your Own Moderator
 
pensacola_niceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 31,694
I lived in Anoka,MN for almost 7 years
pensacola_niceman is offline  
Old August 28th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 4,699
Yes, indeed, Mrs. Bachmann is a major player in this situation.



Quote:
The first was TJ. Then came Samantha, Aaron, Nick, and Kevin. Over the past two years, a total of nine teenagers have committed suicide in a Minnesota school district represented by Rep. Michele Bachmann—the latest in May—and many more students have attempted to take their lives. State public health officials have labeled the area a "suicide contagion area" because of the unusually high death rate.



Some of the victims were gay, or perceived to be by their classmates, and many were reportedly bullied. And the anti-gay activists who are some of the congresswoman's closest allies stand accused of blocking an effective response to the crisis and fostering a climate of intolerance that allowed bullying to flourish. Bachmann, meanwhile, has been uncharacteristically silent on the tragic deaths that have roiled her district—including the high school that she attended.

Bachmann, who began her political career as an education activist, has described gay rights as an "earthquake issue," and she and her allies have made public schools the front lines of their fight against the "homosexual agenda." They have opposed efforts in the state to promote tolerance for gays and lesbians in the classroom, seeing such initiatives as a way of allowing gays to recruit impressionable youths into an unhealthy and un-Christian lifestyle.

http://motherjones.c...nn-teen-suicide
CrazyFlamingos is offline  
Old August 29th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #5
Banned
 
garysher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensacola_niceman View Post
I lived in Anoka,MN for almost 7 years


Were you ever bullied?



Did you ever meet Michelle Bachmann?
garysher is offline  
Old August 29th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #6
Your Own Moderator
 
pensacola_niceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 31,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensacola_niceman' timestamp='1314579313' post='350612

I lived in Anoka,MN for almost 7 years


Were you ever bullied?



Did you ever meet Michelle Bachmann?
That was 6 years ago. Too old to be subject to bullying.
pensacola_niceman is offline  
Old August 29th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
PaperAlchemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyFlamingos View Post
Yes, indeed, Mrs. Bachmann is a major player in this situation.



Quote:
The first was TJ. Then came Samantha, Aaron, Nick, and Kevin. Over the past two years, a total of nine teenagers have committed suicide in a Minnesota school district represented by Rep. Michele Bachmann—the latest in May—and many more students have attempted to take their lives. State public health officials have labeled the area a "suicide contagion area" because of the unusually high death rate.



Some of the victims were gay, or perceived to be by their classmates, and many were reportedly bullied. And the anti-gay activists who are some of the congresswoman's closest allies stand accused of blocking an effective response to the crisis and fostering a climate of intolerance that allowed bullying to flourish. Bachmann, meanwhile, has been uncharacteristically silent on the tragic deaths that have roiled her district—including the high school that she attended.

Bachmann, who began her political career as an education activist, has described gay rights as an "earthquake issue," and she and her allies have made public schools the front lines of their fight against the "homosexual agenda." They have opposed efforts in the state to promote tolerance for gays and lesbians in the classroom, seeing such initiatives as a way of allowing gays to recruit impressionable youths into an unhealthy and un-Christian lifestyle.

http://motherjones.c...nn-teen-suicide




Again, I say. "So much for protecting the children." Apparently they want to "protect the children", but only the straight children and screw the gay ones. Kids are being bullied to the point of slitting their own wrists, and what do these people do, when they're supposedly doing their damnedest to protect the children? They make it so its even harder for these kids to get help, to ask for help from teachers or people of authority that they could seek shelter from at school. They tie the teacher's hands, so the bullies have free reign.



Then they act SURPRISED when the kids kill themselves.



Sick bastards.
PaperAlchemist is offline  
Old August 29th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Your Own Moderator
 
pensacola_niceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 31,694
Kids get bullied for not doing well in sports too - I did.
pensacola_niceman is offline  
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #9
Retired
 
highway80west's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 17,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pensacola_niceman View Post
Kids get bullied for not doing well in sports too - I did.


I was bullied in school because of my disability. As for sports, I was good in some, not good in others. Who can you please?
highway80west is offline  
Old September 3rd, 2011, 01:43 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,333
Gary will be upset to learn that the California legislature just passed "Seth's Law", which requires early intervention by schools in bullying incidents.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_N...LGBT_Students/



No longer will Gary be allowed to hang around schools and pelt the gay students with stones.
skrekk is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Social Issues > Bullying

Tags
bullied, district, minnesota, school, sixth, student, sues



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Utah school district sued over restricted access to lesbian family book XanderCrews Gay and Lesbian Rights 12 November 26th, 2012 03:03 PM
Mother Of Bullied Son Sues City PaperAlchemist Bullying 0 July 5th, 2011 07:02 PM
U Of Michigan Student Sues Stalking Ag Ray Kaye Gay and Lesbian Rights 15 April 8th, 2011 07:52 AM
Homophobic School District In Oregon Gets Slapped Down skrekk Gay and Lesbian Rights 11 February 22nd, 2011 09:06 AM
White African American Sues NJ Med School tristanrobin Education 17 June 5th, 2009 12:03 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.