Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Social Issues > Bullying

Bullying Until recently, Bullying has been identified as a major concern in our Society.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #31
Mom
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom' timestamp='1323222945' post='371328

Thank you for the condolences, it was 24 years ago so it is not as hard to talk about now. I just wanted to share a personal experience as to why some kids don't tell and some parents don't know. And overall it is a complex issue.


That was my point, we never know what is happening in a child's mind, or at home, or how they are relating to their parents.



However, I stick by my earlier points that putting a bleeding heart video on YT does not solve anything, and the world of parenting has not changed forever in the last 7 years because of Facebook!


Gary,



I am not saying the world of parenting changed becasue of FB, I was saying that there are more ways for a bully to engage with their victom.
Mom is offline  
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #32
Banned
 
garysher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary' timestamp='1323223844' post='371330

[quote name='Mom' timestamp='1323222945' post='371328']

Thank you for the condolences, it was 24 years ago so it is not as hard to talk about now. I just wanted to share a personal experience as to why some kids don't tell and some parents don't know. And overall it is a complex issue.


That was my point, we never know what is happening in a child's mind, or at home, or how they are relating to their parents.



However, I stick by my earlier points that putting a bleeding heart video on YT does not solve anything, and the world of parenting has not changed forever in the last 7 years because of Facebook!


Gary,



I am not saying the world of parenting changed becasue of FB, I was saying that there are more ways for a bully to engage with their victom.

[/quote]



Things are constantly changing.



A wise parent won't allow their child to get on FB until they are 18, especially if the child is ultra-sensitive or disturbed like the kid in this YT
garysher is offline  
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
jaaaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
Posts: 1,682
Facebook also has blocking features that would allow the teenager being bullied to block the offending party. I agree mom that it is a complicated problem but I'm with Gary that this YT video doesn't do much of anything to educate the public about bullying. Yes, the kid is definately the victim of bullying, but there are aspects about this video that are self serving and preachy. I hope the kid gets the help he needs...but the video did nothing for me.
jaaaman is offline  
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #34
Krista
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom' timestamp='1323224776' post='371337

[quote name='gary' timestamp='1323223844' post='371330']

[quote name='Mom' timestamp='1323222945' post='371328']

Thank you for the condolences, it was 24 years ago so it is not as hard to talk about now. I just wanted to share a personal experience as to why some kids don't tell and some parents don't know. And overall it is a complex issue.


That was my point, we never know what is happening in a child's mind, or at home, or how they are relating to their parents.



However, I stick by my earlier points that putting a bleeding heart video on YT does not solve anything, and the world of parenting has not changed forever in the last 7 years because of Facebook!


Gary,



I am not saying the world of parenting changed becasue of FB, I was saying that there are more ways for a bully to engage with their victom.

[/quote]



Things are constantly changing.



A wise parent won't allow their child to get on FB until they are 18, especially if the child is ultra-sensitive or disturbed like the kid in this YT

[/quote]



Much easier said than done, since kids have access to the internet at libraries, friends' houses, and school. Certain settings can prevent their parents from finding their page on a search.



Plus, not having a Facebook could be alienating to the child, when all of his or her friends do and that's their main form of communication. I'm not saying it's healthy, but the internet certainly seems to trump face-to-face and phone conversations these days.



I think it would be a good idea for Facebook to only be available to people 18 or over. It causes so much unnecessary drama and tension, even in adults' lives. Facebook has been the death of many friendships and relationships.
 
Old December 6th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #35
Krista
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary' timestamp='1323223844' post='371330

[quote name='Mom' timestamp='1323222945' post='371328']

Thank you for the condolences, it was 24 years ago so it is not as hard to talk about now. I just wanted to share a personal experience as to why some kids don't tell and some parents don't know. And overall it is a complex issue.


That was my point, we never know what is happening in a child's mind, or at home, or how they are relating to their parents.



However, I stick by my earlier points that putting a bleeding heart video on YT does not solve anything, and the world of parenting has not changed forever in the last 7 years because of Facebook!


Gary,



I am not saying the world of parenting changed becasue of FB, I was saying that there are more ways for a bully to engage with their victom.

[/quote]



I agree the internet has allowed the bullying to go far beyond the classroom. Have you ever seen the movie, "Odd Girl Out"? It's about cyber-bullying and pretty much hits the nail on the head.
 
Old December 6th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #36
Banned
 
garysher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary' timestamp='1323226054' post='371341

[quote name='Mom' timestamp='1323224776' post='371337']

[quote name='gary' timestamp='1323223844' post='371330']

[quote name='Mom' timestamp='1323222945' post='371328']

Thank you for the condolences, it was 24 years ago so it is not as hard to talk about now. I just wanted to share a personal experience as to why some kids don't tell and some parents don't know. And overall it is a complex issue.


That was my point, we never know what is happening in a child's mind, or at home, or how they are relating to their parents.



However, I stick by my earlier points that putting a bleeding heart video on YT does not solve anything, and the world of parenting has not changed forever in the last 7 years because of Facebook!


Gary,



I am not saying the world of parenting changed becasue of FB, I was saying that there are more ways for a bully to engage with their victom.

[/quote]



Things are constantly changing.



A wise parent won't allow their child to get on FB until they are 18, especially if the child is ultra-sensitive or disturbed like the kid in this YT

[/quote]



Much easier said than done, since kids have access to the internet at libraries, friends' houses, and school. Certain settings can prevent their parents from finding their page on a search.



Plus, not having a Facebook could be alienating to the child, when all of his or her friends do and that's their main form of communication. I'm not saying it's healthy, but the internet certainly seems to trump face-to-face and phone conversations these days.



I think it would be a good idea for Facebook to only be available to people 18 or over. It causes so much unnecessary drama and tension, even in adults' lives. Facebook has been the death of many friendships and relationships.

[/quote]



It has also cost a lot of people their jobs when they post confidential company information or snarky comments about co-workers managers or customers.
garysher is offline  
Old December 6th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #37
Krista
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaaman View Post
Facebook also has blocking features that would allow the teenager being bullied to block the offending party. I agree mom that it is a complicated problem but I'm with Gary that this YT video doesn't do much of anything to educate the public about bullying. Yes, the kid is definately the victim of bullying, but there are aspects about this video that are self serving and preachy. I hope the kid gets the help he needs...but the video did nothing for me.


Perhaps it only reaches those that are currently in the same predicament, people that have been in the same predicament, people closer to his age, or people of his sexuality. If you take a look at the comments, which change by the second because of its popularity, you'll see people inspired by him to stay strong and thank him for showing them they are not alone. There are hundreds of follow-up videos thanking him: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd23lcUZJQM&feature=related[/media] [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-huPai1Srk&feature=related[/media] http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=eiDEvrT0Lb8&feature=endscreen





Surely these videos are more important to the public by spreading awareness and giving a positive message than videos of people doing foolish things.
 
Old December 6th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #38
Krista
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista' timestamp='1323226638' post='371344

[quote name='gary' timestamp='1323226054' post='371341']

[quote name='Mom' timestamp='1323224776' post='371337']

[quote name='gary' timestamp='1323223844' post='371330']

[quote name='Mom' timestamp='1323222945' post='371328']

Thank you for the condolences, it was 24 years ago so it is not as hard to talk about now. I just wanted to share a personal experience as to why some kids don't tell and some parents don't know. And overall it is a complex issue.


That was my point, we never know what is happening in a child's mind, or at home, or how they are relating to their parents.



However, I stick by my earlier points that putting a bleeding heart video on YT does not solve anything, and the world of parenting has not changed forever in the last 7 years because of Facebook!


Gary,



I am not saying the world of parenting changed becasue of FB, I was saying that there are more ways for a bully to engage with their victom.

[/quote]



Things are constantly changing.



A wise parent won't allow their child to get on FB until they are 18, especially if the child is ultra-sensitive or disturbed like the kid in this YT

[/quote]



Much easier said than done, since kids have access to the internet at libraries, friends' houses, and school. Certain settings can prevent their parents from finding their page on a search.



Plus, not having a Facebook could be alienating to the child, when all of his or her friends do and that's their main form of communication. I'm not saying it's healthy, but the internet certainly seems to trump face-to-face and phone conversations these days.



I think it would be a good idea for Facebook to only be available to people 18 or over. It causes so much unnecessary drama and tension, even in adults' lives. Facebook has been the death of many friendships and relationships.

[/quote]



It has also cost a lot of people their jobs when they post confidential company information or snarky comments about co-workers managers or customers.

[/quote]



Yes, I've seen that happen in a former job, actually.
 
Old December 6th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #39
Banned
 
garysher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista View Post
Surely these videos are more important to the public by spreading awareness and giving a positive message than videos of people doing foolish things.


I have to say I find these kids equally pathetic and self-serving.



Before you say it only hits people closer to his age, here is one of dozens of "hilarious parodies" by someone closer to his age



[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=1AQc02ZON8E[/youtube]



with the same agonising music and melodramatic over-weeping



and many clips claiming Jonah is lying



[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBZab1NgNz0&feature=related[/youtube]



and it was all a publicity stunt!
garysher is offline  
Old December 6th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #40
Krista
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Did you not see his followup video? He admitted he didn't get his facts straight. There's a disclaimer at the top of the video you just posted. lol [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuI_Af1kwjQ&feature=player_embedded[/media]
 
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Social Issues > Bullying

Tags
bullying, jonah, mowry



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Evolution Of Bullying Since 1990 XanderCrews Bullying 65 April 13th, 2012 10:50 AM
Who's Bullying Who? Ray Kaye Gay and Lesbian Rights 78 September 6th, 2011 08:44 AM
School Ignores Bullying Then Whines leighredf Crime and Punishment 10 September 26th, 2010 11:05 PM
Bush warns Russians against 'bullying' CNN Current Events 4 August 16th, 2008 09:52 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.