Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Money and Finance > Business & Industries

Business & Industries Discuss things going on in the corporate world, individual companies and corporate practices.


Thanks Tree7Thanks
  • 1 Post By skews13
  • 1 Post By coke
  • 1 Post By Twisted Sister
  • 1 Post By skews13
  • 2 Post By Twisted Sister
  • 1 Post By Sabcat
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18th, 2016, 09:45 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
skews13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: nirvana
Posts: 9,479
More Solar Jobs Than Gas, Oil, Coal Combined Up 6% In 2016

The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) based in Dubai has just released a report that says jobs in the solar and renewable energy sectors are increasing faster than employment opportunities in fossil fuel industry for the first time. It says 8.1 million people worldwide had jobs in the clean energy in 2015, up from 7.7 million in 2014, according to Bloomberg.

http://gas2.org/wp-content/uploads/2...g-1024x569.png


“The continued job growth in the renewable energy sector is significant because it stands in contrast to trends across the energy sector,” said Adnan Amin, director general of IRENA.

“This increase is being driven by declining renewable energy technology costs and enabling policy frameworks. We expect this to continue as the case for renewables strengthens and countries move to achieve climate targets.”

The group projects the workforce in clean energy will grow to 24 million by 2030 if United Nations targets are met on climate change and development.

Since 2012, the number of US solar jobs has increased by 75% to 210,000.

Oil and gas extraction remained flat and coal mining jobs have decreased. The loss of jobs in the oil and gas industries has been driven by the steep drop in prices for those fuels. Government incentives have helped job creation in the solar industry.

China leads all other nations in creating new jobs in the clean energy sector.

It added 65 gigawatts of renewable energy capacity last year. It now employs 35% more people in its clean energy industry than in oil and gas.

Other countries in Asia and Brazil are also boosting green energy employment. Most of those jobs in Brazil are concentrated in the biofuel industry. The clean energy sector’s global workforce is projected to jump to 24 million by 2030 from about 8.1 million last year.

The conventional wisdom among US political leaders is that renewable energy will destroy the US economy, throwing millions out of work and crashing the economy.

They are spouting the same arguments once used to defend whaling and the Conestoga wagon industry from new technologies.

Renewable energy will replace fossil fuels entirely in the foreseeable future and will bring millions of new job opportunities with it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...opoZZx96ymsJaQ
Thanks from Twisted Sister
skews13 is offline  
Old December 18th, 2016, 10:08 AM   #2
Banned
 
excalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Milky Way
Posts: 24,581
How are there 212,000 jobs in solar in the U.S.? Are they counting every one that installs panels on a roof (heavily subsidized)? I would like to see the actual breakdown as to how they reached that figure

As for installed capacity, aka nameplate capacity, we know that the solar rarely comes close to anywhere near the nameplate capacity delivery. Not even close in fact. Whereas nuclear, coal or natural gas power plants can easily hit their nameplate capacity when needed, and then drop down to lower levels when the situation changes, and back again.

So-called renewables will not replace so-called fossil fuels any time soon.


excalibur is offline  
Old December 18th, 2016, 02:06 PM   #3
Banned
 
coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: nunya
Posts: 12,580
Oh I believe those numbers. Especially China. I mean golly a nation that uses child and slave labor has the lion share of manufacturing. Amazing. Who would have thought it. The amazing part is watching the leftards now do an about face and want free and open trade. They support child labor and slave labor. The building of a peasant class for the elites is such hard work
Thanks from Sabcat
coke is offline  
Old December 18th, 2016, 02:18 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 12,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by skews13 View Post
The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) based in Dubai has just released a report that says jobs in the solar and renewable energy sectors are increasing faster than employment opportunities in fossil fuel industry for the first time. It says 8.1 million people worldwide had jobs in the clean energy in 2015, up from 7.7 million in 2014, according to Bloomberg.

http://gas2.org/wp-content/uploads/2...g-1024x569.png


“The continued job growth in the renewable energy sector is significant because it stands in contrast to trends across the energy sector,” said Adnan Amin, director general of IRENA.

“This increase is being driven by declining renewable energy technology costs and enabling policy frameworks. We expect this to continue as the case for renewables strengthens and countries move to achieve climate targets.”

The group projects the workforce in clean energy will grow to 24 million by 2030 if United Nations targets are met on climate change and development.

Since 2012, the number of US solar jobs has increased by 75% to 210,000.

Oil and gas extraction remained flat and coal mining jobs have decreased. The loss of jobs in the oil and gas industries has been driven by the steep drop in prices for those fuels. Government incentives have helped job creation in the solar industry.

China leads all other nations in creating new jobs in the clean energy sector.

It added 65 gigawatts of renewable energy capacity last year. It now employs 35% more people in its clean energy industry than in oil and gas.

Other countries in Asia and Brazil are also boosting green energy employment. Most of those jobs in Brazil are concentrated in the biofuel industry. The clean energy sector’s global workforce is projected to jump to 24 million by 2030 from about 8.1 million last year.

The conventional wisdom among US political leaders is that renewable energy will destroy the US economy, throwing millions out of work and crashing the economy.

They are spouting the same arguments once used to defend whaling and the Conestoga wagon industry from new technologies.

Renewable energy will replace fossil fuels entirely in the foreseeable future and will bring millions of new job opportunities with it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...opoZZx96ymsJaQ
Germanium is the most efficient semi-conductor and semi-conductors are required in solar cells. China currently holds a monopoly of Germanium and when they release more than they presently do the solar cell industry will bloom. I might have the roof of my house covered with germanium solar cells and get off the grid.
Thanks from skews13
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old December 18th, 2016, 02:58 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
skews13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: nirvana
Posts: 9,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Sister View Post
Germanium is the most efficient semi-conductor and semi-conductors are required in solar cells. China currently holds a monopoly of Germanium and when they release more than they presently do the solar cell industry will bloom. I might have the roof of my house covered with germanium solar cells and get off the grid.
My brother is a traveling electrician. He's working on a solar farm job now.

Licensed electricians are making $40 an hour on those jobs, $120 a day per diem, and all the overtime they can handle.

That's where the jobs are being created here for solar. Some of those farms are as big as some counties in some states.

They are being funded by private investors, and being built on private land the owners lease, because they make more money than they would farming it.

The local utilities gladly by the power at a cost lower than it cost them to generate it.

The jobs to operate the farms stay in those states.

It's a win win for everybody involved.

Except the fossil fuel industry.

Who spends time and money trying to actually stop it.

They're losing.
Thanks from Twisted Sister
skews13 is offline  
Old December 18th, 2016, 04:03 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 12,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by skews13 View Post
My brother is a traveling electrician. He's working on a solar farm job now.

Licensed electricians are making $40 an hour on those jobs, $120 a day per diem, and all the overtime they can handle.

That's where the jobs are being created here for solar. Some of those farms are as big as some counties in some states.

They are being funded by private investors, and being built on private land the owners lease, because they make more money than they would farming it.

The local utilities gladly by the power at a cost lower than it cost them to generate it.

The jobs to operate the farms stay in those states.

It's a win win for everybody involved.

Except the fossil fuel industry.

Who spends time and money trying to actually stop it.

They're losing.
Tech jobs will increase and shovel jobs go down. Kids in High School today should take Physics and Chemistry to get their foot in the door. When you learn Physics and Chemistry you automatically learn Mathematics.
Thanks from skews13 and coke
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old December 18th, 2016, 06:50 PM   #7
#freetommy
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 27,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by skews13 View Post
My brother is a traveling electrician. He's working on a solar farm job now.

Licensed electricians are making $40 an hour on those jobs, $120 a day per diem, and all the overtime they can handle.

That's where the jobs are being created here for solar. Some of those farms are as big as some counties in some states.

They are being funded by private investors, and being built on private land the owners lease, because they make more money than they would farming it.

The local utilities gladly by the power at a cost lower than it cost them to generate it.

The jobs to operate the farms stay in those states.

It's a win win for everybody involved.

Except the fossil fuel industry.

Who spends time and money trying to actually stop it.

They're losing.

I am 100% for things like solar energy.

The question I have is what % of that cash flow is subsidized by the taxpayer?

I would guess that it is well over 50%
Thanks from coke
Sabcat is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Money and Finance > Business & Industries

Tags
2016, coal, combined, gas, jobs, oil, solar



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Painkillers Kill More Than Heroin and Cocaine Combined intangible child Current Events 5 April 24th, 2015 10:17 PM
The End of a Solar Era: The Legacy of the California Solar Initiative baloney_detector Environment 10 December 26th, 2014 03:12 PM
FACT SHEET: Building on Progress – Supporting Solar Deployment and Jobs The White House The White House 0 April 17th, 2014 05:40 AM
More Jobs Were Created Under Clinton Than Reagan/ Both Bushs'Combined skews13 Current Events 62 April 3rd, 2014 12:53 PM
Fox News Draws More Viewers than Other Networks Combined sumara Current Events 28 January 7th, 2014 09:48 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.