Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Money and Finance > Business & Industries

Business & Industries Discuss things going on in the corporate world, individual companies and corporate practices.


Thanks Tree10Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2017, 10:13 AM   #1
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 20,964
Taxi drivers lose fares, livelihoods as ride-for-hire market heats up

Quote:
BUSINESS

Taxi drivers lose fares, livelihoods as ride-for-hire market heats up

On a recent day, taxi driver Abdul Mohammed worked for 12 hours and only landed two fares. At the end of the long day, he cleared about $25 after expenses.


Abdul Mohammed sits in his white van and frets.

In front of him in a parking lot near Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport are 300 other taxis, each of whose drivers will wait for hours to make the 1.5-mile trip to the terminal to pick up a passenger.


Mohammed has been driving an airport taxi since 1989, but he’s not sure how long he can hang on. The day before, he worked for 12 hours and made just two trips. After gas and his daily lease payment, the $80 in fares he collected shrunk to just $25.

“Our American dream has been cut short,” said Mohammed, an Ethiopian immigrant who lives in Brooklyn Park. “Our business is saturated. There are too many drivers. You can’t even raise a family.”

Business has gotten tougher for Mohammed and hundreds of other cabdrivers in the Twin Cities for a simple reason: Uber and Lyft. The ride-sharing services have transformed the transportation business since their arrival in 2013, and cabdrivers have lost out.



Now, some of them are improving their games in an effort to compete: embracing technology, spiffing up their vehicles and improving customer service. But the ride-sharing companies are still usually cheaper and often more convenient.

Nowhere is the challenge more obvious than at the airport, where Uber and Lyft have been allowed to pick up passengers since April. Cabdrivers, who now wait as long as six hours for a customer, are horrified by the change.
Taxi drivers lose fares, livelihoods as ride-for-hire market heats up | Star Tribune



Good bye shitty taxi services.
Thanks from coke

Last edited by Sabcat; February 26th, 2017 at 10:21 AM.
Sabcat is offline  
Old February 26th, 2017, 10:28 AM   #2
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 20,964
Maybe Minneapolis will go w/ Massive-tax-etts (part of the Socialist States of New England) and add a tax on every ride from businesses like Uber and give a % directly to the archaic business model of rude, stinky, over priced taxi companies.


Yup. That sounds about right.

I mean we have already taxed cartogo out of the city.

For fucks sake
Thanks from coke

Last edited by Sabcat; February 26th, 2017 at 10:51 AM.
Sabcat is offline  
Old February 26th, 2017, 01:06 PM   #3
forgot my old user name
 
right to left's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
Can't wait till we say goodbye to your shitty job! I don't take many cabs, but when I do need a ride, I'm calling a legitimate taxi service, not this race-to-the-bottom "sharing economy" bullshit! No savings justify driving more and more people into debt servitude and enriching the corporate overlords at everyone's expense! One of these clueless ride share operations even had the gall to run an ad posting about one of their exceptional "associates" a pregnant woman who was still driving long hours close to delivery date, was going into labor..but got the rider to their destination before going to the hospital to have her baby...and then was back to work three days later...how wonderful! What a good slave for the idle rich to live off of!

This shit is the same as the $10 t-shirt or any shit for that matter sold at stores like Walmart! No price is low enough to take advantage of slave labor in far off places!
right to left is offline  
Old February 26th, 2017, 02:08 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 15,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by right to left View Post
Can't wait till we say goodbye to your shitty job! I don't take many cabs, but when I do need a ride, I'm calling a legitimate taxi service, not this race-to-the-bottom "sharing economy" bullshit! No savings justify driving more and more people into debt servitude and enriching the corporate overlords at everyone's expense! One of these clueless ride share operations even had the gall to run an ad posting about one of their exceptional "associates" a pregnant woman who was still driving long hours close to delivery date, was going into labor..but got the rider to their destination before going to the hospital to have her baby...and then was back to work three days later...how wonderful! What a good slave for the idle rich to live off of!

This shit is the same as the $10 t-shirt or any shit for that matter sold at stores like Walmart! No price is low enough to take advantage of slave labor in far off places!
Yup, keep them indigent immigrants coming because we don't have enough taxi drivers. And of course, when that job expires, there's always welfare, food stamps, free health care, etc. etc., that WE the taxpayers can shovel out to subsidize them.
Thanks from excalibur and Sabcat
caconservative is offline  
Old February 26th, 2017, 05:00 PM   #5
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 20,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by right to left View Post
I don't take many cabs, but when I do need a ride, I'm calling a legitimate taxi service,

In other words you have no fucking idea what you are talking about and are just spouting off other people's opinions.

Good job.


Uber I push a button on my phone and see in real time the kind of car that is picking me up.

Taxi I call some person in some basement and he guesses when a stinky, dirty busted ass old van will show up at my house. Usually off by like 10 min.

Taxi drivers have to shell out between $50-$100 a day for the privilege to drive the stinky, run down out of date vehicle.

Uber they drive the car of their choice.

Jump in a cab at the airport and you are at the inflated discrestion of the cab driver.

Last winter uber was not aloud at MSP for pick ups. I took an uber to the airport $15 I took a cab home $40. Fuck cab drivers.

I have not taken a taxi since uber came out and I used to primarily take a car service but did take a cab once and a while.

Cabs are the worse.

So tell me again why a taxi is better.
Thanks from caconservative and coke

Last edited by Sabcat; February 26th, 2017 at 05:02 PM.
Sabcat is offline  
Old February 26th, 2017, 05:04 PM   #6
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 20,964
A few months ago I had one of those fuck stains run a 4 way stop and almost clip my car. Called the dispatch they could not give a shit less.


I still order that cab company at least twice a week
Thanks from coke
Sabcat is offline  
Old February 26th, 2017, 07:55 PM   #7
forgot my old user name
 
right to left's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by caconservative View Post
Yup, keep them indigent immigrants coming because we don't have enough taxi drivers. And of course, when that job expires, there's always welfare, food stamps, free health care, etc. etc., that WE the taxpayers can shovel out to subsidize them.
Where I live, there are many times more whites living on welfare and disability pensions than any immigrants, and from what I have read, the numbers are the same all across North America! Immigrants have far lower unemployment rates...but why not keep feeding your notions that North America is white man's country and pretend your ancestors were here first!
right to left is offline  
Old February 26th, 2017, 07:57 PM   #8
forgot my old user name
 
right to left's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
A few months ago I had one of those fuck stains run a 4 way stop and almost clip my car. Called the dispatch they could not give a shit less.
And that could never happen with an uber driver!
right to left is offline  
Old February 26th, 2017, 08:04 PM   #9
forgot my old user name
 
right to left's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
In other words you have no fucking idea what you are talking about and are just spouting off other people's opinions.

Good job.


Uber I push a button on my phone and see in real time the kind of car that is picking me up.

Taxi I call some person in some basement and he guesses when a stinky, dirty busted ass old van will show up at my house. Usually off by like 10 min.

Taxi drivers have to shell out between $50-$100 a day for the privilege to drive the stinky, run down out of date vehicle.

Uber they drive the car of their choice.

Jump in a cab at the airport and you are at the inflated discrestion of the cab driver.

Last winter uber was not aloud at MSP for pick ups. I took an uber to the airport $15 I took a cab home $40. Fuck cab drivers.

I have not taken a taxi since uber came out and I used to primarily take a car service but did take a cab once and a while.

Cabs are the worse.

So tell me again why a taxi is better.
So, how are you connected or profiting from this Uber or other ride share companies again?
You think I don't know what Uber is and don't know how to call one if I wanted it? Taxi driving has always been the last resort or a temporary job for most people.
I don't know how it works where you are ...and I suspect you don't either, but up here, the cab owner is responsible for licensing the cab and the running costs, and splits revenues with the driver. I never heard of this $50 to 100 a day fee for driving a cab..that's not how it works here...or likely anywhere!

Uber drivers drive the car of their choice...yes, I mentioned the flowery capitalist free market bullshit when I commented earlier about them running an ad about the pregnant Uber driver finishing her delivery/ going to the hospital to have the baby/ and being back at work full time three days later...if this doesn't describe modern slavery, I don't know what you call it! Cause people who are in debt bondage aren't making many fucking choices about anything!
right to left is offline  
Old February 26th, 2017, 08:07 PM   #10
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 20,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by right to left View Post
And that could never happen with an uber driver!
Is that what I said. It was not the fact that the driver made a mistake. It was the fact that the company could have given a shit less. I called to let them know that one of their drivers was driving recklessly in THEIR vehicle and they were complet dicks.

The point is that is not uncommon and that it is a dying business model. Good bye.

A hack licenses in NYC is like a million dollars.

I am guessing that you have not taken uber or lift because I do not know one person who will take a cab when given the choice once they have. Download the app and give it a shot. I take public transportation and car services a lot. I used to use cabs but mostly a car service. Now that uber and lift can go to MSP I cannot see a reason to take a cab.

Fuck em.
Thanks from coke
Sabcat is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Money and Finance > Business & Industries

Tags
drivers, fares, heats, livelihoods, lose, market, rideforhire, taxi



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bo & Luke Lose Their Ride Libertine Current Events 17 June 25th, 2015 12:34 PM
Taxi! intangible child Crime and Punishment 0 June 2nd, 2010 03:00 PM
Market Economies Demand Subordinated Market Societies coberst Philosophy 1 November 25th, 2008 06:51 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.