Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Civil Rights

Civil Rights Civil and Political Rights Forum - Civil rights and liberties


Thanks Tree75Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2017, 02:02 PM   #1
Spud
 
foundit66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 5,934
Post Confederate Statues Were Built To Further A 'White Supremacist Future'

Quote:
Yet many historians say the argument about preserving Southern history doesn't hold up when you consider the timing of when the "beautiful" statues, as Trump called them, went up.

"Most of the people who were involved in erecting the monuments were not necessarily erecting a monument to the past," said Jane Dailey, an associate professor of history at the University of Chicago."But were rather, erecting them toward a white supremacist future."

The most recent comprehensive study of Confederate statues and monuments across the country was published by the Southern Poverty Law Center last year. A look at this chart shows huge spikes in construction twice during the 20th century: in the early 1900s, and then again in the 1950s and 60s. Both were times of extreme civil rights tension.

In the early 1900s, states were enacting Jim Crow laws to disenfranchise black Americans. In the middle part of the century, the civil rights movement pushed back against that segregation.

James Grossman, the executive director of the American Historical Association, says that the increase in statues and monuments was clearly meant to send a message.

"These statues were meant to create legitimate garb for white supremacy," Grossman said. "Why would you put a statue of Robert E. Lee or Stonewall Jackson in 1948 in Baltimore?"
Why Were Confederate Monuments Built? : NPR

Some people proclaim these monuments are "historical" but ignore the reality of what history they are meant to celebrate.
:mad
Thanks from Camelot and kbear
foundit66 is offline  
Old September 6th, 2017, 07:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Why Were Confederate Monuments Built? : NPR

Some people proclaim these monuments are "historical" but ignore the reality of what history they are meant to celebrate.
:mad
NPR. That sounds like a truly unbiased source... Not.

Maybe a few more links that support that theory are in order.
discollector is offline  
Old September 6th, 2017, 07:12 PM   #3
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 27,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by discollector View Post
NPR. That sounds like a truly unbiased source... Not.

Maybe a few more links that support that theory are in order.
There were many news sources listing the dates of various statues honoring Civil War heros and it was very obvious how the Civil Rights Act seemed to be the big trigger when it first became a hot topic.

I'm sure Google could give you a ton of them.
Thanks from Camelot
RNG is offline  
Old October 10th, 2017, 04:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
BubbaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 6,477
I know I just posted this in another thread but I'm going to drop it here too. This girl explains it beautifully.

Quote:
You want to talk about statues? Let's talk about statues.

I am a proud Southern woman.
I drink sweet tea like nobody's business, know the difference between a Western and English saddle, and can make a pecan pie from scratch.
Believe me when I say I love my heritage and my culture.
I grew up one block down from the Chickamauga battlefield in Georgia.
I had picnics in that park, went hiking on those trails with my girl scout troop.
Confederate statues are all too familiar to me.
In fourth grade I took a field trip to Stone Mountain to see the faces of Jefferson Davis, Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson up close and personal.

This is a very fond memory for me of my childhood.
I remember salt water taffy and blown glass figurines in the park.
I remember riding the Summit Skyride and just looking out for miles and miles.
But you know what I don't remember? Anyone telling me,
"These men carved into this mountain are the men that lost the Civil War.
These are the men who fought to be a separate America and lost.
These are the men that fought to keep slaves."
No one took the time to educate me on the real history of these men.
Instead, I was filled with fun, happy thoughts.
How could these guys be bad people?
I mean, they're riding horses, come on!
Every ten year old thinks someone riding a horse is cool.
Now, there's a chance I just wasn't listening, or I didn't read enough wall plaques because I was an easily distracted kid who didn't care too much for history.
This is entirely possible.
But I guaran-damn-tee no one ever said the word slavery to me while I was there.
Not my parents, not my teachers, not the park employees.
The same goes for the Chickamauga Battlefield, less than half a mile from my front door.
No one ever stopped to say, "this is important history because they fought to keep slaves and lost."

All that time I spent staring at sculptures of these men, I never knew they were fighting on the wrong side of history.
Now you bet I heard phrases like "state rights" and "war of northern aggression". But it was always in passing and vague. What state rights? Aggression about what?
No one ever told me, and I didn't know I was supposed to ask because it was all so normal to me.
That's the thing about these memorials.
Do they offend me? No, not particularly.
Because they've been NORMALIZED my whole life.
This is where it is our job to listen to marginalized people that are offended and hurt by these.
If they say these are bad and we should take them down, they're probably right!
Just because we've been taught our whole lives that they're okay, does not make them okay.
The fact that they don't make me uncomfortable IS THE WHOLE PROBLEM.
These statues aren't there to teach us history.
They're there to rewrite history and feed us false perceptions of the Civil War.
They make us comfortable with a very bad cause.
Do you think these white supremacists were radicalized overnight?
They are a direct product of DECADES of misinformation and misdirection.
Of normalization and an overwhelming acceptance of "how it's always been".
The South can no longer fall behind the ideology of how it's always been.
Times are changing, and we should too.
I love being a Southerner. I love my heritage.
But I can be proud of where I come from without embracing a history that never really was.
I can acknowledge my ancestors' mistakes and appreciate the past without glorifying them on pedestals.
We don't need a single Confederate statue.
Not a single one.
Not until they're all accompanied with real teachings and historical lessons, which can happen in a museum.
Not until we have our picnics beside Robert E Lee and describe him to our children as he REALLY was.

Please share this so all centrists and sympathizers can know that yes, you can be a proud Southerner and NOT defend these terrible things.

It's not our fault that we've been misled our whole lives.

But we're adults now, and we no longer have an excuse for not educating ourselves.
I am a proud citizen of the United States of America, not the Confederate States of America.

Guest blogger Rose Sampley, 22, was born and raised in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia before attending upper school in Chattanooga, Tennessee. She currently resides in Knoxville, Tennessee where she is employed by a local non-profit organization.
BubbaJones is offline  
Old October 10th, 2017, 07:17 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaJones View Post
I know I just posted this in another thread but I'm going to drop it here too. This girl explains it beautifully.
She is entitled to her opinion; however, the War of Northern Aggression was not about slavery. That provided the political excuse for the war, but not the real reason.

Bubba, the ONLY thing you're succeeding in doing is to allow the liberals to beat you down with phony political arguments aimed at getting whites to hate their race.
Thanks from caconservative and Sabcat
discollector is offline  
Old October 10th, 2017, 07:25 PM   #6
The Token Black Guy
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MD
Posts: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by discollector View Post
She is entitled to her opinion; however, the War of Northern Aggression was not about slavery. That provided the political excuse for the war, but not the real reason.

Bubba, the ONLY thing you're succeeding in doing is to allow the liberals to beat you down with phony political arguments aimed at getting whites to hate their race.
It wasn't explicitly about slavery but slavery was definitely a key factor in the South's secession. Otherwise, why would they be trying to secede?
Thanks from right to left
Gordy is offline  
Old October 10th, 2017, 09:17 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: in that one house at that location over there
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by discollector View Post
She is entitled to her opinion; however, the War of Northern Aggression was not about slavery. That provided the political excuse for the war, but not the real reason.

Bubba, the ONLY thing you're succeeding in doing is to allow the liberals to beat you down with phony political arguments aimed at getting whites to hate their race.
I disagree. The Civil War was about a region of the nation deciding the preferred a lifestyle and to be treated as if they had title of nobility. Their slaves was the peasant class. Not only did they fight to preserve this self imposed right of nobility, the slaves were the keystone to it. The tragedy is all the poor white folk who got duped into thinking they were fighting for their rights, when in fact they were fighting to preserve some false narrative of nobility of their betters being perpetrated upon them. Read the history if West Virginia and the hillbilly's that all the elites like to make fun of. They did not fall for that bullshit and neither should you.
guy39 is offline  
Old October 10th, 2017, 09:34 PM   #8
Banned
 
Hashtag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Upside Down
Posts: 714
Tariffs is the biggest reason.

Lincoln endorsed an amendment codifying slavery. The southern states did not go for that because tariffs were a far bigger problem for them then the slavery issue.
Hashtag is offline  
Old October 10th, 2017, 09:42 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: in that one house at that location over there
Posts: 2,090
Thats because the Southern aristocracy thought of themselves more as lords of estates like their European cousins. They would rather import a furniture from France or Europe than buy one from a New England cabinet maker. It was a very American first move of ole Abe
guy39 is offline  
Old October 10th, 2017, 09:46 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: in that one house at that location over there
Posts: 2,090
I want to clarify my point on some things. Communities who want to remove statues may do so if that is the wishes of their community. Some things can not nor should never be removed. For instance graves of Confederate in battlefields and the monuments to them in battlefields. Stone Mountain is a part of Americana rather you like it or not. No one is forcing you to go there. Those misguided white boys who died fighting for their aristocrats are no different than the typical Democrat voter today. Voting for the interests of a few elite in order to make a better peasant class.
guy39 is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Civil Rights

Tags
built, confederate, future, statues, supremacist, white



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confederate Statues Removed in Baltimore and Durham Gordy Current Events 232 September 6th, 2017 09:20 AM
Warrants Issued For White Supremacist Sissy Camelot Current Events 26 August 28th, 2017 03:57 PM
Why is there a movement to remove Confederate statues, memorials, etc.? johnwk Current Events 80 July 22nd, 2017 09:01 AM
White supremacist groups see Trump bump LongWinded Current Events 4 December 10th, 2015 02:38 PM
Anonymous Links Ron Paul To White Supremacist Groups skrekk Politicians 30 February 3rd, 2012 09:35 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.