Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Civil Rights

Civil Rights Civil and Political Rights Forum - Civil rights and liberties


Thanks Tree18Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2018, 01:31 PM   #31
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 36,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
As someone old enough to remember what people were saying about MLK back when he was alive and kicking, the reaction was pretty much the same as the reaction to Kaepernick, there were plenty who reviled him as a troublemaker. That he was taking the Civil Rights Movement too far, too fast.
If you listen to his "I have a Dream" speech, those words are followed by "Fuck the dream Martin, NOW" spoken by, I want to say, Stokely Carmichael, voicing the complaint that King was appeasing white people, that the movement wasn't going far enough, fast enough.
I was also an avid reader of Ebony and Jet magazines back then, even in the black media, he had plenty of detractors.

Sainthood and near universal praise came after his murder.
My family's reaction to MLK was for my 8th Birthday my Grandfather took me to DC on a Bus to attend the "I have a Dream" Sermon and tour the city.
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old January 16th, 2018, 01:34 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 18,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
It's unfortunate. What's even more unfortunate is the right's hypocrisy when it comes to King.
What hypocrisy are you referring to?
caconservative is offline  
Old January 16th, 2018, 03:35 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
BubbaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy39 View Post
How many Amish are there in mainstream society?
How many quakers in mainstream society?
Jehovah witnesses, hmm ok you might have a touch of a point there.
And thank you guy39 for stepping up to the plate, for all your conservative friends, and proving the point, truth and validity of the meme.

The FACT remains MILLIONS of people in this country do not, cannot or will not salute the flag or say the pledge. Hell some won't even swear to tell the truth in court, especially on a bible !! Their position in society, mainstream or other wise is irrelevant.

If this was a white man, kneeling for religious reasons, you'd never say a word. If anyone challenged his right to do so you'd raise 10 kinds of hell.

But like the meme says, let ONE black man protest using nonverbal and non violent method and it's OMFG how dare that son of a bitch !!!!!

I'd remind you, and everyone else on the board that this entire country was founded by men that stood up and said "I OBJECT" !! There were lots of people in the country that did NOT want revolution !! They were perfectly happy with King George's rule.

Even if you personally vehemently disagree with the person or their cause, when someone, anyone, stands up, or kneels down, or carries a sign or makes any other form of nonviolent protest, they are following in the foot steps of the founding fathers. They are being the VERY BEST kind of Americans. I don't care if it's 329,999,999 people in the nation to 1, that 1 is being the ultimate American.
BubbaJones is offline  
Old January 16th, 2018, 03:47 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 11,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by caconservative View Post
What hypocrisy are you referring to?
Did you see the OP.
The hypocrisy of those who criticize Colin Kaepernick's non violent protest against injustice, and spout all this praise of MLK.
goober is online now  
Old January 16th, 2018, 06:33 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
guy39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kekistan
Posts: 4,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaJones View Post
And thank you guy39 for stepping up to the plate, for all your conservative friends, and proving the point, truth and validity of the meme.

The FACT remains MILLIONS of people in this country do not, cannot or will not salute the flag or say the pledge. Hell some won't even swear to tell the truth in court, especially on a bible !! Their position in society, mainstream or other wise is irrelevant.

If this was a white man, kneeling for religious reasons, you'd never say a word. If anyone challenged his right to do so you'd raise 10 kinds of hell.

But like the meme says, let ONE black man protest using nonverbal and non violent method and it's OMFG how dare that son of a bitch !!!!!

I'd remind you, and everyone else on the board that this entire country was founded by men that stood up and said "I OBJECT" !! There were lots of people in the country that did NOT want revolution !! They were perfectly happy with King George's rule.

Even if you personally vehemently disagree with the person or their cause, when someone, anyone, stands up, or kneels down, or carries a sign or makes any other form of nonviolent protest, they are following in the foot steps of the founding fathers. They are being the VERY BEST kind of Americans. I don't care if it's 329,999,999 people in the nation to 1, that 1 is being the ultimate American.
You obviously never heard of Tim Tebow. You have obviously never heard about the complaints over teams praying together. More than all of that. You never addressed that your meme had a bunch of numbers that was irrelevant to the stage that is being discussed. Then you tried to make it personal by telling me what I would say or something along those lines.

Either you can defend or you cant. Building straw men and assuming what I would have said and not addressing what i did say is poor taste.
guy39 is offline  
Old January 16th, 2018, 10:14 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
BubbaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy39 View Post
You obviously never heard of Tim Tebow. You have obviously never heard about the complaints over teams praying together. More than all of that. You never addressed that your meme had a bunch of numbers that was irrelevant to the stage that is being discussed. Then you tried to make it personal by telling me what I would say or something along those lines.

Either you can defend or you cant. Building straw men and assuming what I would have said and not addressing what i did say is poor taste.
I know exactly who Tim Tebow is. He is THE PROOF of what I said earlier and the meme as well. When some non religious types chose to complain or comment, a whole fucking bunch of christians got their collective noses out of joint over it !! HOW DARE THOSE PEOPLE CRITICIZE Tebow for showing his thanks to GOD !!!!!!!! What kind of UNAMERICAN scum bags would criticize and man PRAYING TO JESUS ?!?!?!?

The ultimate irony is that many of Tebows supporters are very likely to be kaepernick's detractors. Which of course makes them hypocrite of the highest order.
BubbaJones is offline  
Old January 17th, 2018, 07:08 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
guy39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kekistan
Posts: 4,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaJones View Post
I know exactly who Tim Tebow is. He is THE PROOF of what I said earlier and the meme as well. When some non religious types chose to complain or comment, a whole fucking bunch of christians got their collective noses out of joint over it !! HOW DARE THOSE PEOPLE CRITICIZE Tebow for showing his thanks to GOD !!!!!!!! What kind of UNAMERICAN scum bags would criticize and man PRAYING TO JESUS ?!?!?!?

The ultimate irony is that many of Tebows supporters are very likely to be kaepernick's detractors. Which of course makes them hypocrite of the highest order.
Quote:
The ultimate irony is that many of Kaepernicks supporters are very likely to be Tebow's detractors. Which of course makes them hypocrite of the highest order.
There I fixed it for you.

Another straw man perhaps?
guy39 is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Civil Rights

Tags
day, happy, mlk



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am so happy! webguy4 Americas 55 September 12th, 2017 05:32 PM
Hello. I'm happy to be here :-) Defender of Virtue New Users 10 April 26th, 2007 03:44 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.