Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Civil Rights

Civil Rights Civil and Political Rights Forum - Civil rights and liberties


Thanks Tree18Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2018, 10:39 AM   #11
work in progress
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 200
48 He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”
Matthew 12:48-50

My Christ doesn't allow for racism, some people do, selective humanitarians and so called Christians alike. Those who follow His teaching know the truth.
Lovebug is offline  
Old January 21st, 2018, 02:03 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
avlis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Matosinhos Portugal
Posts: 1,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
I have been wanting to talk about the difference between religions and humanitarianism.

Here is one definition of humanitarianism...



I favor humanitarianism because it assumes we are all equal under the sun. This is different from religions with a God who has favorite people and orders his favorite to kill people and take their land. I think those religions have been very problematic for several reasons, and the belief that something is wrong with us unless we are saved by a supernatural being is offensive. Not to mention the wrong of killing and taking people's lands and still operating with that mentality in the name of God.
____________________________________

I favor humanitarianism because it assumes we are all equal under the sun.
...
Because everyone in the sun does shade.

Who is not racist, put your finger in the air so I can see.

In what year did racism begin in the world?
And what is the reason racism exists?
avlis is offline  
Old January 21st, 2018, 06:52 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbrother View Post
Ok, start your own thread.....
A problem with Christianity is believing something is more wrong with humans who are not Christians who believe they must be saved by Jesus, and make moral decisions based on their understanding of the bible and life after death.

Isn't that the point of everything you say?
Thanks from Clara007
Athena is offline  
Old January 21st, 2018, 06:55 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis View Post
____________________________________

I favor humanitarianism because it assumes we are all equal under the sun.
...
Because everyone in the sun does shade.

Who is not racist, put your finger in the air so I can see.

In what year did racism begin in the world?
And what is the reason racism exists?
My dark-skinned 6-year-old great-grandson enjoys being with people who look like him. Is he racist? If you think I am racist what do you think made me that way? What does it mean to be racist?

I grew up in southern California where having a dark tan is a very good thing. Judging a person by the color of his/her skin really makes no sense to me.
Thanks from Clara007

Last edited by Athena; January 21st, 2018 at 07:00 AM.
Athena is offline  
Old January 21st, 2018, 07:08 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
48 He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. 50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”
Matthew 12:48-50

My Christ doesn't allow for racism, some people do, selective humanitarians and so called Christians alike. Those who follow His teaching know the truth.
So do the people who follow science. It is funny when people buy brown eggs believing they are more nutritious and they cost more! The color of the egg does not mean the nutrition is different. Maybe we should eat blue eggs or speckled eggs for the better nutrition?

PS, I have a problem with the verse you used. I do not think people who are Christians are different from people who are not. The quote you used is divisive and that is hurtful and wrong, like racism. Seeing our relationships in terms of family relationships leads to tribalism and having some pretty serious relationship problems.

Last edited by Athena; January 21st, 2018 at 07:31 AM.
Athena is offline  
Old January 21st, 2018, 07:15 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
BubbaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
A problem with Christianity is believing something is more wrong with humans who are not Christians who believe they must be saved by Jesus, and make moral decisions based on their understanding of the bible and life after death.

Isn't that the point of everything you say?
The problem with most people who call themselves Christian is that they don't act very Christ like. They read and even speak the words but have absolutely no understanding of their meaning. I work in the south, and often in the rural south. I find it amazing how they can in one breath express their deepest religious beliefs then in the very next breath express not just a dislike but an utter hatred of some group of people. Often people they will never meet nor have any interaction with.
Thanks from imaginethat, Athena and Clara007
BubbaJones is online now  
Old January 21st, 2018, 07:21 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaJones View Post
The problem with most people who call themselves Christian is that they don't act very Christ like. They read and even speak the words but have absolutely no understanding of their meaning. I work in the south, and often in the rural south. I find it amazing how they can in one breath express their deepest religious beliefs then in the very next breath express not just a dislike but an utter hatred of some group of people. Often people they will never meet nor have any interaction with.
Sure like thinking our color makes us more or less nutritious, members of religious groups think what they believe makes them better people. You know in heaven there are different places for Catholics, Protestants, Mormons, Muslims (the Sunni and Shia) because only by keeping them all separate can there be peace.

Can I add some science to that? Our thoughts create and recreate who we are. If we create ourselves as hateful, prejudiced unloving beings, isn't that what we will be when we get to heaven? At what point might a god take away our free will and make us what we are not?

Last edited by Athena; January 21st, 2018 at 07:26 AM.
Athena is offline  
Old January 21st, 2018, 07:38 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,734
Urbrother, let us make this very clear, speaking of humanism is not a separate subject, but an argument against what you said.

Quote:
A slow God heal is way better than a fast man cure!!!
I will pit humanism and science against religion any day.

"Change happens at the speed of thought" The philosophy of the enlightenment has done more for us than religion.
Thanks from RNG

Last edited by Athena; January 21st, 2018 at 07:40 AM.
Athena is offline  
Old January 21st, 2018, 07:41 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
BubbaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 7,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Sure like thinking our color makes us more or less nutritious, members of religious groups think what they believe makes them better people. You know in heaven there are different places for Catholics, Protestants, Mormons, Muslims (the Sunni and Shia) because only by keeping them all separate can there be peace

Sadly their own religion tell them differently:

Mathew 8:11 I say to you that many will come from the east and the west to share the banquet with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. But the sons of the kingdom will be cast into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
BubbaJones is online now  
Old January 21st, 2018, 08:18 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 60,008
The Sermon on the Mount lays down exactly how a person who believes the Gospel taught by Yeshua will conduct herself or himself.

Few agree with Yeshua's Sermon on the Mount and even fewer live up to them.
Thanks from Clara007
imaginethat is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Civil Rights

Tags
racism



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
racism urbrother Civil Rights 0 February 26th, 2017 05:28 PM
racism webguy4 Racism 2 September 20th, 2013 07:09 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.