Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Ideologies > Conservatism

Conservatism Conservatism Forum - Political Philosophy Forum


Thanks Tree50Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2018, 06:25 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by senor boogie woogie View Post
Conservative comes from the word conserve, which is to save. When you leave your house, you turn off all the lights and air conditioning. Because it conserves energy, and one saves money on their electrical bills. Most people want to go to the place where things are the cheapest price to save money. Conserve means to save.

Marijuana legalization is actually a conservative viewpoint. Stop the War on Drugs and stop paying cops, courts, lawyers and judges to put people in prison for smoking a plant (and ruining the person's life and employment opportunities).

I think we confuse conservative with traditional. Traditionalists do not want to change the status quo. Traditionalists are fine with things the way they are. Someone for example who doesn't want their child to marry someone out of their race is a traditionalist, not necessarily a conservative. I think there should be a new definition to seperate what one thinks on social or economic lines.
I disagree with you. I believe a conservative is someone who wants to save traditional beliefs and values, not just save money. Christians were furious with John Dewey a man who held a lot of power in our educational system because John Dewey was pragmatic and imposed this philosophy on public education. Being pragmatic means not having notions of universal truths such as the truths a Christian holds sacred. We still have this battle in schools today between those who want creationism taught along with evolution. Christians, Jews, and Muslims do their best to conserve the beliefs and traditions of their religion.
Athena is offline  
Old March 13th, 2018, 06:30 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwolfe35 View Post
Finally, after how many times I’ve asked you’ve finally answered one of two questions.

Year 0 on your graph = 1995

Thank you for providing a graph that’s about TWENTY FIVE YEARS OUT OF FUCKING DATE!!!!

Since year zero on your graph is 1995 (the last year your graph shows measurements for) of course it doesn’t include 2016 THE YEAR CO2 LEVELS REACHED 400 PPM FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!!!!!

The World Passes 400 PPM Threshold. Permanently | Climate Central


So STFU about CO2 levels being higher in the past because IT ISN’T FUCKING TRUE!!!!


What the heck does that have to do with being conservative/Republican? Coming late to a thread is almost always a big problem because the discussion moves so far from the OP.
Athena is offline  
Old March 13th, 2018, 06:51 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 60,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post


What the heck does that have to do with being conservative/Republican? Coming late to a thread is almost always a big problem because the discussion moves so far from the OP.
TNV is a conservative/Republican. That's the connection, and the demonstration.
imaginethat is offline  
Old March 13th, 2018, 06:51 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
iolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rhondda
Posts: 2,018
What's quite striking about 'conservatism' in capitalist systems is that it says it is attempting to conserve something in a system that constantly revolutionises everything. For an outsider, I suppose, it is difficult to understand what it is about 'traditional' American values that seem so worth conserving, but then, I was brought up to be seriously Christian and don't know much about Mammon-worship!
Thanks from Camelot
iolo is offline  
Old March 13th, 2018, 11:35 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
Neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
I never use the “C-word”. They behave just the opposite. I think being a Republican today means that you unrealistically wish to regress into the past. That is an impossible. Ergo their miserable demeanors.
You may be on to something. The Republican party of today has been commandeered by the Democrats when they sent over their Neocons to infiltrate it. That could somewhat explain how the party of slavery abolition got tainted with a reputation of being racist.

Anyways, yeah, it's not exactly overall the party of conservatism. I feel the same way about the Democratic party when it comes to the notion that it's the party of liberalism and progressivism; to me it's the exact opposite, the party of authoritarianism and regression.
Thanks from guy39, Sabcat and Braveheart
Neil is offline  
Old March 13th, 2018, 12:18 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
Nwolfe35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 16,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You may be on to something. The Republican party of today has been commandeered by the Democrats when they sent over their Neocons to infiltrate it. That could somewhat explain how the party of slavery abolition got tainted with a reputation of being racist.

Anyways, yeah, it's not exactly overall the party of conservatism. I feel the same way about the Democratic party when it comes to the notion that it's the party of liberalism and progressivism; to me it's the exact opposite, the party of authoritarianism and regression.
BOTH parties are parties of authoritarianism. The only difference is what they want authority over.
Thanks from Sabcat and Neil
Nwolfe35 is offline  
Old March 13th, 2018, 02:57 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: ohio
Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwolfe35 View Post
BOTH parties are parties of authoritarianism. The only difference is what they want authority over.
I agree, but what do each party want authority over?
Braveheart is offline  
Old March 13th, 2018, 03:10 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 23,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by senor boogie woogie View Post
Conservative comes from the word conserve, which is to save.
like people being all excited about spending 30 million taxpayer dollars for Dear Leader's parade?
Thanks from Camelot and Clara007
tristanrobin is offline  
Old March 14th, 2018, 06:50 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by iolo View Post
What's quite striking about 'conservatism' in capitalist systems is that it says it is attempting to conserve something in a system that constantly revolutionises everything. For an outsider, I suppose, it is difficult to understand what it is about 'traditional' American values that seem so worth conserving, but then, I was brought up to be seriously Christian and don't know much about Mammon-worship!

Honor and virtues and accepting responsibility for our institutions are American values, we just don't remember that.
Athena is offline  
Old March 14th, 2018, 07:04 AM   #60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin View Post
like people being all excited about spending 30 million taxpayer dollars for Dear Leader's parade?
Since the days of Babylon, such displays of wealth and power have unified and raised the morale of the people.

At one time Persia was the largest and wealthiest nation, and like the US, they believed this was so because a God willed it to be so, and therefore, they were responsible for making it so because that was the will of God. That is circler logic we should be familiar with.

So let's enjoy the parade and honor the God that makes us great.

Last edited by Athena; March 14th, 2018 at 07:07 AM.
Athena is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Political Ideologies > Conservatism



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FBI Director once a devout Republican, no longer a Republican GhostRider Americas 1 July 7th, 2016 07:23 PM
The Republican Conservative Base Is Shrinking LongWinded Current Events 2 June 4th, 2015 11:08 AM
Why Conservative Immigrants Don't Vote Republican skews13 Current Events 2 November 26th, 2012 03:28 PM
Advantages Of Voting Republican/having Republican Leaders. RWE Political Ideologies 35 March 9th, 2012 03:56 PM
Another Conservative Republican endorses Obama knot_e_lady Conservatism 0 October 21st, 2008 04:53 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.