Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Conspiracy Theories

Conspiracy Theories Political Conspiracy Theory Forum - Discuss your theories about major political events


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2006, 11:57 AM   #1
Site Founder
 
RidinHighSpeeds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,710
Why The 9/11 Conspiracies Won't Go Away

Quote:
Conspiracy theories form around them like scar tissue. In a curious way, they're an American form of national mourning. They'll be with us as long as we fear lone gunmen, and feel the pain of losses like the one we suffered on Sept. 11, and as long as the past, even the immediate past, is ultimately unknowable. That is to say, forever.


TIME.com: Why The 9/11 Conspiracies Won't Go Away -- Sep. 11, 2006 -- Page 1



I read this article and this pretty much sums up where I stand on most of the conspiracy theories we have heard recently. Very good artcle!
RidinHighSpeeds is offline  
Old October 1st, 2006, 12:47 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
jaaaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
Posts: 1,682
Yeah... I guess I need to be less hard on these conspiracy theorists that post on this site... they are only being human after all.
jaaaman is offline  
Old October 1st, 2006, 01:59 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Katczinsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 3,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time
"There are psychological explanations for why conspiracy theories are so seductive. Academics who study them argue that they meet a basic human need: to have the magnitude of any given effect be balanced by the magnitude of the cause behind it. A world in which tiny causes can have huge consequences feels scary and unreliable. Therefore a grand disaster like Sept. 11 needs a grand conspiracy behind it. "We tend to associate major events--a President or princess dying--with major causes," says Patrick Leman, a lecturer in psychology at Royal Holloway University of London, who has conducted studies on conspiracy belief. "If we think big events like a President being assassinated can happen at the hands of a minor individual, that points to the unpredictability and randomness of life and unsettles us." In that sense, the idea that there is a malevolent controlling force orchestrating global events is, in a perverse way, comforting."


I agree with what they say here, but I can just as easily fit this explanation with people that believe in creationism. But that doesn't mean its any less reliable.



Perhaps if Time countered the questions posed and not attack the messenger, they would be more effective.
Katczinsky is offline  
Old October 1st, 2006, 03:44 PM   #4
Banned
 
alias's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,176
Evolution and the demolition theory are both in the same category. Lots of innuendo, but no evidence.
alias is offline  
Old October 1st, 2006, 03:45 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Katczinsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 3,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by alias
Evolution and the demolition theory are both in the same category. Lots of innuendo, but no evidence.


Wow, are you serious? Evolution is based on pools of scientific data and evidence, creation is based on faith alone.
Katczinsky is offline  
Old October 1st, 2006, 08:31 PM   #6
Banned
 
alias's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katczinsky
Wow, are you serious? Evolution is based on pools of scientific data and evidence, creation is based on faith alone.


It takes faith to believe a theory. There is no proof of evolution. It's a theory.
alias is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2006, 07:28 AM   #7
Spud
 
foundit66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 5,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by alias
Evolution and the demolition theory are both in the same category. Lots of innuendo, but no evidence.


Over and over again, you demonstrate you don't know much about the subjects you speak on...



1) According to the scientific standards of what a "theory" is, it REQUIRES EVIDENCE before it can be classified as a "theory".



2) I expect you won't, but you should really take a look at this article "15 Answers to Creationist Nonsense". The very first point addresses the nonsense you are now spewing...

http://www.defendingthetruth.com/rel...nist#post45629
foundit66 is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:56 AM   #8
Banned
 
alias's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,176
I can find scientists who don't believe in evolution. This site should keep you busy for a while. Check it out.



Ten Reasons Evolution is Wrong
alias is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:03 AM   #9
Spud
 
foundit66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 5,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by alias
I can find scientists who don't believe in evolution.
A scientist who does not "believe" in evolution is irrelevant.

Just because some scientists let their religious beliefs overrule their scientific standards does not mean anything, except against those scientists.





Quote:
Originally Posted by alias
This site should keep you busy for a while. Check it out.

Ten Reasons Evolution is Wrong


You didn't even bother to click on my link, did you.

Virtually point for point, my article refuted the claims of your link. Over and over again, your article put forth the EXACT STATEMENT that my article refuted and demonstrated why yours was nothing more of a strawman presentation.



Would you like to take ONE issue off of your list and examine it to debate its validity?

Perhaps we should take the MORALITY entry of the list...

(Evolution is wrong because of "morality"??? ROFLMAO!)
foundit66 is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:42 AM   #10
Banned
 
alias's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66
A scientist who does not "believe" in evolution is irrelevant.

Just because some scientists let their religious beliefs overrule their scientific standards does not mean anything, except against those scientists.









You didn't even bother to click on my link, did you.

Virtually point for point, my article refuted the claims of your link. Over and over again, your article put forth the EXACT STATEMENT that my article refuted and demonstrated why yours was nothing more of a strawman presentation.



Would you like to take ONE issue off of your list and examine it to debate its validity?

Perhaps we should take the MORALITY entry of the list...

(Evolution is wrong because of "morality"??? ROFLMAO!)


Everyone who disagrees with you is "irrelevant". Funny how that works. Pick one and refute it.
alias is offline  
Closed Thread

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Conspiracy Theories

Tags
9 or 11, conspiracies



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conspiracies Topic? criticalprocess Opinion Polls 8 October 30th, 2005 08:12 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.