Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Conspiracy Theories

Conspiracy Theories Political Conspiracy Theory Forum - Discuss your theories about major political events


Thanks Tree75Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17th, 2016, 03:10 PM   #31
TW
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 19,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Please take the time to read this so we don't have to go down this rabbit hole anymore.
The evidence

The FBI warned the DNC of a potential ongoing breach of their network in November of 2015. But the first hard evidence of an attack detected by a non-government agency was a spear-phishing campaign being tracked by Dell SecureWorks. That campaign began to target the DNC, the Clinton campaign, and others in the middle of March 2016, and it ran through mid-April.

This campaign was linked to a "threat group" (designated variously as APT28, Sofacy, Strontium, Pawn Storm, and Fancy Bear) that had previously been tied to spear-phishing attacks on military, government, and non-governmental organizations.

"[SecureWorks] researchers assess with moderate confidence that the group is operating from the Russian Federation and is gathering intelligence on behalf of the Russian government," the report from SecureWorks concluded.

The DNC's information technology team first alerted party officials that there was a potential security problem in late March, but the DNC didn't bring in outside help until May. This is when CrowdStrike's incident response team was brought in. CrowdStrike identified two separate ongoing breaches, as detailed in a June 15, 2016 blog post by CrowdStrike CTO Dmitri Alperovitch. The findings were based both on malware samples found and a monitoring of the breach while it was in progress.

One of those attacks, based on the malware and command and control traffic, was attributed to Fancy Bear. The malware deployed by Fancy Bear was a combination of an agent disguised as a Windows driver file (named twain_64.dll) in combination with a network tunneling tool that allowed remote control connections.

The other breach, which may have been the breach hinted at by the FBI, was a long-running intrusion by a group previously identified as APT29, also known as The Dukes or Cozy Bear. Cozy Bear ran SeaDaddy (also known as SeaDuke, a backdoor developed in Python and compiled as a Windows executable) as well as a one-line Windows PowerShell command that exploited Microsoft's Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) system. The exploit allowed attackers to persist in WMI's database and execute based on a schedule. Researchers at Fidelis who were given access to malware samples from the hack confirmed that attribution.

In addition to targeting the DNC and the Clinton campaign's Google Apps accounts, the spear-phishing messages connected to the campaign discovered by SecureWorks also went after a number of personal Gmail accounts. It was later discovered that the campaign had compromised the Gmail accounts of Clinton campaign chair John Podesta, former Secretary of State Colin Powell, and a number of other individuals connected to the Clinton campaign and the White House. Many of those e-mails ended up on DC Leaks. The Wikileaks posting of the Podesta e-mails include an e-mail containing the link used to deliver the malware.

After Crowdstrike and the DNC revealed the hacks and attributed them to Russian intelligence-connected groups, some of the files taken from the DNC were posted on a website by someone using the name Guccifer 2.0. While the individual claimed to be Romanian, documents in the initial dump from the DNC by Guccifer 2.0 were found to have been edited using a Russian-language version of Word and by someone using a computer named for Felix Dzerzhinsky, founder of the Soviet secret police. (The documents are linked in this article by Ars' Dan Goodin.)

In addition to publishing on his or her own WordPress site, Guccifer used the DC Leaks site to provide an early look at new documents to The Smoking Gun using administrative access. The Smoking Gun contacted one of the victims of the breach and confirmed he had been targeted using the same spear-phishing attack used against Podesta.

The DC Leaks site also contains a small number of e-mails from state Republican party operatives. Thus far, no national GOP e-mails have been released. (The New York Times reports that intelligence officials claim the Republican National Committee was also penetrated by attackers, but its e-mails were never published.)

Attribution and motive

There are several factors used to attribute these hacks to someone working on behalf of Russian intelligence. In the case of Fancy Bear, attribution is based on details from a number of assessments by security researchers. These include:

Focus of purpose. The methods and malware families used in these campaigns are specifically built for espionage.

The targets. A list of previous targets of Fancy Bear malware include:

• Individuals in Russia and the former Soviet states who may be of intelligence interest
• Current and former members of NATO states' government and military
• Western defense contractors and suppliers
• Journalists and authors


Fancy Bear malware was also used in the spear-phishing attack on the International Olympic Committee to gain access to the World Anti Doping Agency's systems. This allowed the group to discredit athletes after many Russian athletes were banned from this year's Summer Games.

Long-term investment. The code in malware and tools is regularly and professionally updated and maintained—while maintaining a platform approach. The investment suggests an operation funded to provide long-term data espionage and information warfare capabilities.

Language and location. Artifacts in the code indicate it was written by Russian speakers in the same time zone as Moscow and St. Petersburg, according to a FireEye report


These don't necessarily point to Fancy Bear being directly operated by Russian intelligence. Other information operations out of Russia (including the "troll factory" operated out of St. Petersburg to spread disinformation and intimidate people) have had tenuous connections to the government.


Scott DePasquale and Michael Daly of the Atlantic Council suggested in an October Politico article that the DNC hack and other information operations surrounding the US presidential campaign may have been the work of "cyber mercenaries"—in essence, outsourcing outfits working as contractors for Russian intelligence. There is also an extremely remote possibility that all of this has been some sort of "false flag" operation by someone else with extremely deep pockets and a political agenda.

WikiLeaks' Julian Assange has insisted that the Russian government is not the source of the Podesta and DNC e-mails. That may well be true, and it can still be true even if the Russian government had a hand in directing or funding the operation. But that is all speculation—the only way that the full scope of Russia's involvement in the hacking campaign and other aspects of the information campaign against Clinton (and for Trump) will be known is if the Obama administration publishes conclusive evidence in a form that can be independently analyzed.
More here: Did the Russians ?hack? the election? A look at the established facts | Ars Technica

Please visit the website. The quotes above are filled with live links.

There's no smoking gun that Putin ordered the hacking, but two points are worth noting. One, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. Two, NOTHING happens in Russia without Putin's approval.

No thing.

And in light of the numerous Russian connections, it's preposterous and suspicious for Trump to summarily dismiss any possible Russian connections, well unless his buddy Putin told him it's preposterous, and asked him to relay that information to US citizens.

What's even more preposterous is in light of the above known facts that American conservatives and Republicans would knee jerk come to Putin's defense AND repeat Kremlin propaganda. How delighted Putin must be. Mission accomplished.


Quote:
. Guccifer 2.0 were found to have been edited using a Russian-language version of Word and by someone using a computer named for Felix Dzerzhinsky, founder of the Soviet secret police

So we are to believe that a person(s) who's job is basically a cyber spy just so happened to leave incriminating breadcrumbs that trailed back to the nation behind the attacks? This was the question I asked months ago and am still asking today.
Thanks from coke
Sabcat is online now  
Old December 17th, 2016, 03:15 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.,USA
Posts: 5,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
So we are to believe that a person(s) who's job is basically a cyber spy just so happened to leave incriminating breadcrumbs that trailed back to the nation behind the attacks? This was the question I asked months ago and am still asking today.
False Flag, I presume
Jimgorn is offline  
Old December 17th, 2016, 03:16 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 52,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by coke View Post
huh?
Obama on the campaign trail - Photo 9 - Pictures - CBS News

Never has there been a lame duck President campaign like Obama before. Never. That was done on the tax dollars of the US. So, I disagree. I think he used the weight of his office to influence an election.
You're going equivocate Obama campaigning for Clinton with a possible attempt by Putin to influence our electoral process, six of one, half dozen of the other?

There's nothing I have to add to that.
Thanks from skews13
imaginethat is offline  
Old December 17th, 2016, 03:20 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 52,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
So we are to believe that a person(s) who's job is basically a cyber spy just so happened to leave incriminating breadcrumbs that trailed back to the nation behind the attacks? This was the question I asked months ago and am still asking today.
You don't understand computers very well.

To answer your question, yes that's possible. And if you read the article I partially quoted, and went to the website and followed some of the links, you wouldn't be asking this question. Soooooooooooo.............

Now I understand that your King got that "if you don't catch 'em in the act, how can you know anyone did anything" meme going, and that you're duty bound to repeat it.
imaginethat is offline  
Old December 17th, 2016, 03:23 PM   #35
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: LA LA Land North
Posts: 23,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
You'd be singing a different tune, all of you would, if the tables were turned, if after months of "the system is rigged" Trump had lost, and the very same information was available.

I go back to "if it walks like a duck....." I think the test for irrefutable proof for you guys is a video with audio of the hacker, time synched with a DNC computer actually being hacked. Yep. Oh, and with an endorsement from Putin:
I'm Putin, and I approve of this evidence.
The CIA is full of shit, but crap that Comey spewed was golden. How can they look themselves in the eye in the mirror? Odds are they all have beards.
RNG is offline  
Old December 17th, 2016, 03:26 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.,USA
Posts: 5,933
The meme "de Jour" is that Hillary lost because the Russian interfered with the election.....Hillary/Obama/Dems are playing the "victim card"....It's goal is to undermine and de-legitimize Trump's win.....through innuendo.....
Thanks from Sabcat
Jimgorn is offline  
Old December 17th, 2016, 03:49 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Polari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Britton, SD
Posts: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Possibly because we don't have irrefutable proof.

The measure for courtroom evidence isn't "irrefutably true." It's "beyond a reasonable doubt."

Please go to the page I linked upthread and take on some of the evidence presented.
I'm not saying it didn't happen, chances are it did but the horseshit political non-answer to it did happen is not "great confidence". If your going to accuse someone you have to fucking own it. I haven't seen the evidence and I'm for damn sure not taking the word of beurocrats. Didn't work out so well with the weapons of mass destruction now did it? I only got to "moderate confidence" before I quit reading. Your a writer and you know that phrase means there doing some guessing. But I understand your bias.
Thanks from Sabcat, coke and Jimgorn
Polari is offline  
Old December 17th, 2016, 04:10 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
skews13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: nirvana
Posts: 7,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
You don't understand computers very well.

To answer your question, yes that's possible. And if you read the article I partially quoted, and went to the website and followed some of the links, you wouldn't be asking this question. Soooooooooooo.............

Now I understand that your King got that "if you don't catch 'em in the act, how can you know anyone did anything" meme going, and that you're duty bound to repeat it.
I think he understands them very well.

Enough that he wants to expose our intelligence agencies counter espionage and cyber warfare techniques.

A real patriot this guy.
skews13 is offline  
Old December 17th, 2016, 04:17 PM   #39
TW
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 19,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
You don't understand computers very well.

To answer your question, yes that's possible. And if you read the article I partially quoted, and went to the website and followed some of the links, you wouldn't be asking this question. Soooooooooooo.............

Now I understand that your King got that "if you don't catch 'em in the act, how can you know anyone did anything" meme going, and that you're duty bound to repeat it.
It is possible. Yet it is also probable that those breadcrumbs were left there as misdirection. Like leaving someone else's finger prints on the murder weapon that just so happened to be found next to the body.
Sabcat is online now  
Old December 17th, 2016, 04:19 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 52,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polari View Post
I'm not saying it didn't happen, chances are it did but the horseshit political non-answer to it did happen is not "great confidence". If your going to accuse someone you have to fucking own it. I haven't seen the evidence and I'm for damn sure not taking the word of beurocrats. Didn't work out so well with the weapons of mass destruction now did it? I only got to "moderate confidence" before I quit reading. Your a writer and you know that phrase means there doing some guessing. But I understand your bias.
Political horseshit is ubiquitous. Where are you going to escape from it? So you got to read between the lines. But let's go back to the title of this thread:
Putin Lays Down the Gauntlet to Obama Over Hacking Claims: ‘Show Proof or Shut Up’
Say what? Piss on you Putin. We're not threatening nuclear war, nor was Obama reminding you that the US is the only country on earth that can reduce Russia to radioactive dust ... as your mouthpiece did not too long ago on Russia One, the premier state-owned news channel that everybody watches, and that's not an exaggeration that everyone watches it.

That's what has me going. The bastard almost certainly OK'ed the hacking from hack shops in Moscow and St. Petersburg, and he knew conclusively linking him to the hackings would be next to impossible. But that's not good enough for Putin.

Nooooooo, he's doubling down. He's got to do some rubbing in. "Show proof or shut up," says Shorty.

Pardon me, but piss on you Mr. Putin. And a lot of his character can be understood by the fact that he's a short guy, 5'7". Medvedev is even shorter, 5'4". Probably why they're such good buds.
imaginethat is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Conspiracy Theories

Tags
claims, gauntlet, hacking, lays, obama, proof, putin, shut, up’, ‘show



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
 Why Are the Media Taking the CIA’s Hacking Claims at Face Value? excalibur Current Events 29 December 17th, 2016 07:27 PM
FACT SHEET: President Obama Lays Out Vision for 21st Century Transportation Infrastru The White House The White House 0 February 26th, 2014 09:00 AM
President Obama Lays Wreath at Arlington National Cemetery The White House The White House 1 November 12th, 2012 03:28 AM
GOP leader: Pelosi should show proof or apologize CNN Current Events 3 May 18th, 2009 03:32 AM
Obama Blasts GOP & Lays Out "Bail Out" Plan... tadpole256 Money and Finance 34 February 15th, 2009 01:35 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.