Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Conspiracy Theories

Conspiracy Theories Political Conspiracy Theory Forum - Discuss your theories about major political events


Thanks Tree64Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2018, 10:48 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Nwolfe35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 16,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
I'm pretty sure you meant to say, "The bias today isnít only in the media...."
I might modify it to say isnít primarily in the media. Yes there are ďnewsĒ sites that have an obvious bias (left and right). But the bigger ones? NBC, ABC, CBS, The NY Times, The WSJ. I donít see a bias.
Thanks from noonereal
Nwolfe35 is offline  
Old July 11th, 2018, 10:48 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
noonereal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clicker II View Post
[B]Trump just adopted it as a way to describe the utterances of the press as they contradicted his made up stuff.
Fixed it for ya, friend!
noonereal is online now  
Old July 11th, 2018, 11:06 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Clicker II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwolfe35 View Post
I might modify it to say isnít primarily in the media. Yes there are ďnewsĒ sites that have an obvious bias (left and right). But the bigger ones? NBC, ABC, CBS, The NY Times, The WSJ. I donít see a bias.
Of course you don't!!! That's the problem!! The only fix in evidence is to release the hidebound chains that keep your mind closed so securely. On another thread it was suggested that I stop looking for nuanced bias in everything I read or hear in the media. Perhaps you should start. Try it out, might just work.
Thanks from Sabcat
Clicker II is online now  
Old July 11th, 2018, 11:12 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 10,972
Donald Trump is making dictionaries GREAT again.

From Time:
A new poll out puts numbers behind a trend you’ve probably seen evidence of in your feeds: dictionaries are hot right now. And that is thanks, in good part, to Donald Trump.

Dictionary.com commissioned a survey, conducted by Harris Poll, to ask more than 2,200 Americans about how they are dealing with current affairs. Half of them said they are reading more political news since the 2016 election and nearly 60% said they feel a greater need to analyze the meaning of words used by politicians. Per the poll, a third of Americans have looked up words because of the election and expanded their vocabularies, action that dictionary editors have seen in website traffic and on social media.

People are curious about Trump and the words he uses. People crave a source of truth and turn to dictionaries because they feel they can trust the dictionary to settle an argument. The same probably applies to similar types of resources. Apparently, dictionaries have become "referees" in the search for truth and facts.

But here's the sting. NOW (because of our political climate) IF a person doesn't LIKE the definition/answer they read.. the allegations of trolling begin. AND WHO do they think is the victim of said trolling? The Trump Team--of course--which has led to words like "alternative" and "fake" and "misinterpreted" and "slanted".

Dictionaries are now accused of political leanings. All I can do is shake my head and wonder what will become of us.
Thanks from imaginethat and noonereal
Clara007 is offline  
Old July 11th, 2018, 11:33 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 60,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clicker II View Post
In the real world my opinion does not carry the weight of the POTUS' opinion.
The people handed him the bully pulpit. The accusation of abuses of power and yada yada yada yada ad infinitum for using it are remarkable and an insult to those of us who gave it to him.

Trump started the meme "fake news" before his Kellyanne introduced the concept of alternative facts. He's got to own this. He presents himself as unbiased, which of course he isn't.

That term, "fake news" shortened from fake news story, has been in general usage on the internet as a synonym for yellow journalism for over 25 years that I know of. It was used in the Clinton era when we wanted to shorten "wag the dog" to two words. "That's a fake news story" was in use as well. Trump just adopted it as a way to describe the utterances of the press as they exhibited their inherent bias.
As for "alternative facts" she did appear to use that specifically first. Back in the 80s and 90s the use of corporate newspeak (Orwell 1984) was called alternative as well. Saying newspeak was verboten for obvious reasons.

Now you've moved over to the cyber incarnation of the dead tree industry. Congrats, great job. This is a huge site, how's the revenue stream?
I see. You feel personally insulted. You said:
The standard on Trump is the same as that applied to any other citizen including you and any other person offering their opinion.
That's ... just ... wrong. I said, "In the real world my opinion does not carry the weight of the POTUS' opinion."

That's 100 percent true. Good Lord man, can't we agree on that?

Maybe if I'd said, "In the real world my opinion does not carry the weight of A POTUS' opinion," you wouldn't feel personally insulted, and we could agree on an obviously true statement.


As well, Kellyanne used "alternative facts" in a "get to know ya" interview quickly following the inauguration. Whether she intended it or not, she created yet another meme that will forever be associated with DJ Trump who, we have seen, indeed lives in a world of alternative facts.

No president in my lifetime other than Trump has used the term "fake news." And with Trump, and most of his supporters, "fake news" accurately can be defined as: Anything I disagree with. Own it, please.

Many facts Trump declares indeed are alternative. If he later contradicts himself, his address remains Alternative Factland. Pretty good gig for a performer.
Thanks from Clara007
imaginethat is offline  
Old July 11th, 2018, 11:39 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
noonereal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
Donald Trump is making dictionaries GREAT again.

From Time:
A new poll out puts numbers behind a trend youíve probably seen evidence of in your feeds: dictionaries are hot right now. And that is thanks, in good part, to Donald Trump.

Dictionary.com commissioned a survey, conducted by Harris Poll, to ask more than 2,200 Americans about how they are dealing with current affairs. Half of them said they are reading more political news since the 2016 election and nearly 60% said they feel a greater need to analyze the meaning of words used by politicians. Per the poll, a third of Americans have looked up words because of the election and expanded their vocabularies, action that dictionary editors have seen in website traffic and on social media.

People are curious about Trump and the words he uses. People crave a source of truth and turn to dictionaries because they feel they can trust the dictionary to settle an argument. The same probably applies to similar types of resources. Apparently, dictionaries have become "referees" in the search for truth and facts.

But here's the sting. NOW (because of our political climate) IF a person doesn't LIKE the definition/answer they read.. the allegations of trolling begin. AND WHO do they think is the victim of said trolling? The Trump Team--of course--which has led to words like "alternative" and "fake" and "misinterpreted" and "slanted".

Dictionaries are now accused of political leanings. All I can do is shake my head and wonder what will become of us.
that's humans for ya'

They decide what they want to believe then look to support those wants.

So now, instead of being disgruntled and unhappy when the media told the truth and it did no coincide with what they want to believe, Trump has given them an excuse to not believe truth. Alternate facts, fake news.

Kinda wild how the fake news comes from those that yell fake news.
Thanks from Clara007
noonereal is online now  
Old July 11th, 2018, 11:39 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
justoneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 4,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Fixed it for ya, friend!
Here is a Lefty altering peoples worss on a quote. Lets see if there is any backlash for it from the Left here.
justoneman is offline  
Old July 11th, 2018, 11:40 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
noonereal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
I see. You feel personally insulted. You said:
The standard on Trump is the same as that applied to any other citizen including you and any other person offering their opinion.
That's ... just ... wrong. I said, "In the real world my opinion does not carry the weight of the POTUS' opinion."

That's 100 percent true. Good Lord man, can't we agree on that?

Maybe if I'd said, "In the real world my opinion does not carry the weight of A POTUS' opinion," you wouldn't feel personally insulted, and we could agree on an obviously true statement.


As well, Kellyanne used "alternative facts" in a "get to know ya" interview quickly following the inauguration. Whether she intended it or not, she created yet another meme that will forever be associated with DJ Trump who, we have seen, indeed lives in a world of alternative facts.

No president in my lifetime other than Trump has used the term "fake news." And with Trump, and most of his supporters, "fake news" accurately can be defined as: Anything I disagree with. Own it, please.

Many facts Trump declares indeed are alternative. If he later contradicts himself, his address remains Alternative Factland. Pretty good gig for a performer.
He must revere your word as much as he does Trump's.
noonereal is online now  
Old July 11th, 2018, 12:11 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Nwolfe35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 16,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clicker II View Post
Of course you don't!!! That's the problem!! The only fix in evidence is to release the hidebound chains that keep your mind closed so securely. On another thread it was suggested that I stop looking for nuanced bias in everything I read or hear in the media. Perhaps you should start. Try it out, might just work.
No, it is not the problem. I donít say it because it because everyone on the internet (especially on forums like this) claims to be the smartest, best looking, richest person in the world. But the fact is I am one of the more intelligent and non biased persons on here. I strive very hard to make sure my facts are correct before I post them. Do I make mistakes? Sure, Iím human. If I make a mistake I WANT to know it. If something in my knowledge base is wrong I WANT to correct it. I willingly admit when Iím wrong and I know the difference between opinion and fact.

These characteristics about myself allow me to recognize bias when I when I see it.

My opinion of Trump (and the current state of the GOP) is based on this.

Trump is, by far, the worst, most corrupt president in my lifetime. This is not something I state lightly. This has nothing to do with his political party. This is based solely on my observations of his behavior. I also believe that most, if not all, of the people in his administration and Republican members of Congress feel the same way. Unfortunately most of them have tied their political future to this sinking ship and seem bound and determined to go down with him. The GOP has sold its soul for four years (if he lasts that long) of power in the White House.
Thanks from Clara007
Nwolfe35 is offline  
Old July 11th, 2018, 12:30 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
noonereal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: NYC
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwolfe35 View Post
the smartest, best looking, richest person in the world.
You called me?

Thanks from Clara007
noonereal is online now  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Conspiracy Theories

Tags
bias, media



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Media Bias webguy4 Americas 41 July 23rd, 2017 04:37 AM
Another Example of Mainstream Media Bias sumara Current Events 7 June 25th, 2017 05:19 AM
Media Bias Is Dangerous But Outright Bias Gets Many Killed skews13 Current Events 20 September 18th, 2014 01:35 PM
Does the Media have a Liberal Bias? Steama1973 Liberalism 33 December 1st, 2006 08:04 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.