Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Crime and Punishment

Crime and Punishment Crime and Punishment Forum - For topics and discussions about crime, criminals, circumstances, and punishments


Thanks Tree54Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2016, 07:29 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 54,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
Did you copy and paste this from The Onion, skews?

Civil forfeiture laws regarding guilty property have a long history. The doctrine of in rem forfeiture dates to the 1500s under the the deodand doctrine in English common law, then US common law, and then federal statutes by the 1st Congress under customs. It is not rocket science to know that Reagan was born a long time ago, but never met Jefferson or Madison.

There are three Presidents in a class of their own regarding contempt for the Constitution: Lincoln, Roosevelt, and Obama.
None of the history lesson has squat to do with the current round of civil forfeiture which was in fact implemented under the Comprehensive Crime Control Act of 1984. Granted, that act had bipartisan support.

From the DoJ web page:
The Department of Justice Asset Forfeiture Program encompasses the seizure and forfeiture of assets that represent the proceeds of, or were used to facilitate federal crimes. The primary mission of the Program is to employ asset forfeiture powers in a manner that enhances public safety and security. This is accomplished by removing the proceeds of crime and other assets relied upon by criminals and their associates to perpetuate their criminal activity against our society. Asset forfeiture has the power to disrupt or dismantle criminal organizations that would continue to function if we only convicted and incarcerated specific individuals.
The problem of course is that the Asset Forfeiture Program assumes guilt.
Thanks from coke and Pilgrim
imaginethat is online now  
Old April 3rd, 2016, 07:31 PM   #12
Commie Exposer
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
None of the history lesson has squat to do with the current round of civil forfeiture which was in fact implemented under the Comprehensive Crime Control Act of 1984. Granted, that act had bipartisan support.

From the DoJ web page:
The Department of Justice Asset Forfeiture Program encompasses the seizure and forfeiture of assets that represent the proceeds of, or were used to facilitate federal crimes. The primary mission of the Program is to employ asset forfeiture powers in a manner that enhances public safety and security. This is accomplished by removing the proceeds of crime and other assets relied upon by criminals and their associates to perpetuate their criminal activity against our society. Asset forfeiture has the power to disrupt or dismantle criminal organizations that would continue to function if we only convicted and incarcerated specific individuals.
The problem of course is that the Asset Forfeiture Program assumes guilt.
I never said it did. This isn't the first time a liberal made it seem as if Reagan created forfeiture law.
Thanks from coke
Jimmyb is offline  
Old April 3rd, 2016, 08:05 PM   #13
Banned
 
coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: nunya
Posts: 12,580
Law was created in a civil manner
coke is offline  
Old April 4th, 2016, 08:02 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 54,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
I never said it did. This isn't the first time a liberal made it seem as if Reagan created forfeiture law.
You never said what did what?
Thanks from coke
imaginethat is online now  
Old April 4th, 2016, 08:42 AM   #15
Banned
 
coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: nunya
Posts: 12,580
Trump is bad
coke is offline  
Old April 4th, 2016, 08:56 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
My grandfather had to fight to get his house back . He sold on land contract to a couple who got charged with drug dealing.
Now this looks like a serious argument about what is wrong with the state seizing property. So to the family losing a car because Dad stopped to pick a prostitute. Fines used for revenue collection also disrespect the family and individual. I think we need to take a closer look at what is happening and consider the values that the US stood for in the beginning.

There is a movement to end civil forfeiture http://endforfeiture.com/
Thanks from imaginethat, Sabcat and coke

Last edited by Athena; April 4th, 2016 at 09:00 AM.
Athena is offline  
Old April 4th, 2016, 03:03 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
skews13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: nirvana
Posts: 8,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
It's now possible for a drug dealer to serve time in a forfeiture-financed prison after being arrested by agents driving a forfeiture-provided automobile while working in a forfeiture-funded sting operation.

 Reagan attorney general Richard Thornburgh in 1989
Interesting story on the news the other night. All research on the effects of, and properties of cannabinoids, used to be conducted by private research through universities before Ronnie Raygun. The private research was stopped by the DEA, and all research turned over to government research conducted through major phama corporations, who was instructed to only find negative results. Universities, in Colorado, and Washington want to conduct new private research, but are still being restricted by the DEA.

Ronnie Raygun. The gift that keeps on giving.

The board righties have Ronnie, and tricky Dick to thank for my political leanings. Thanks to the internet, i'll be the gift that keeps on giving for many many years. And i'm just getting warmed up.
Thanks from coke
skews13 is offline  
Old April 4th, 2016, 03:16 PM   #18
Banned
 
coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: nunya
Posts: 12,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by skews13 View Post
Interesting story on the news the other night. All research on the effects of, and properties of cannabinoids, used to be conducted by private research through universities before Ronnie Raygun. The private research was stopped by the DEA, and all research turned over to government research conducted through major phama corporations, who was instructed to only find negative results. Universities, in Colorado, and Washington want to conduct new private research, but are still being restricted by the DEA.

Ronnie Raygun. The gift that keeps on giving.

The board righties have Ronnie, and tricky Dick to thank for my political leanings. Thanks to the internet, i'll be the gift that keeps on giving for many many years. And i'm just getting warmed up.
Good job! Meanwhile for anyone interested problem solving....Unless anyone thanks digging up Ronald Reagan and???
coke is offline  
Old April 4th, 2016, 03:17 PM   #19
Commie Exposer
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
You never said what did what?
The issue discussed is civil asset forfeiture. You posted the Comprehensive Crime Control Act of 1984 regarding federal criminal forfeiture laws. What the law has morphed into cannot be blamed on Reagan.
Thanks from caconservative and coke
Jimmyb is offline  
Old April 4th, 2016, 03:25 PM   #20
Banned
 
excalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Milky Way
Posts: 24,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
Did you copy and paste this from The Onion, skews?

Civil forfeiture laws regarding guilty property have a long history. The doctrine of in rem forfeiture dates to the 1500s under the the deodand doctrine in English common law, then US common law, and then federal statutes by the 1st Congress under customs. It is not rocket science to know that Reagan was born a long time ago, but never met Jefferson or Madison.

There are three Presidents in a class of their own regarding contempt for the Constitution: Lincoln, Roosevelt, and Obama.

The more I see the total lack of knowledge about matters such as this the more I am convinced this nation will not survive another 20 years*. And that precludes nuclear war, or a Carrington type event.

*This does not include the Second Coming.

Thanks from Jimmyb and coke
excalibur is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Crime and Punishment

Tags
civil, forfeiture, legalized, stealing



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Asset Forfeiture webguy4 Crime and Punishment 14 July 20th, 2016 09:09 AM
Montana Changes Civil Asset Forfeiture Law excalibur Current Events 0 May 13th, 2015 11:14 AM
AG Eric Holder Ends Most Forms Of Civil Asset Forfeiture skews13 Current Events 4 January 18th, 2015 05:46 AM
The two States that legalized pot are getting together for a intangible child Sports 2 January 21st, 2014 03:42 PM
Who thinks Weed should be legalized? ShatteredHorizons Opinion Polls 241 March 29th, 2012 04:46 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.