Political Forums
Forum Notice

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Magister
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,491




This is liberal economics 101. This would be true if the money funding this fell out of the sky, but it doesn't.



Quote:

Hoyer: Food Stamps, Unemployment Insurance 2 'Most Stimulative' Things for Economy



(CNSNews.com) – House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) said Tuesday that food stamps and unemployment insurance are the two "most stimulative" t things you can do for the economy.



During a pen and pad briefing with reporters on Capitol Hill, Hoyer was asked if any Democrats are “reconsidering the wisdom” of letting the Bush tax cuts expire at year’s end for the top income earners given the still struggling U.S. economy.



"I haven’t talked to any who are of that mind," said Hoyer. "If you talk to economists, they will tell you there are two things that are the most stimulative that you can do -- one’s unemployment insurance, the other’s food stamps, okay?”



“Why is that?” he said. “Because those folks who receive those resources must spend them. And they’ll spend them almost upon receipt. Most economists with whom I talk believe that those with significant discretionary income, that that’s not the case.”



Unless action is taken by Congress, the Bush tax cuts will expire on Jan. 1, 2013. Originally enacted in 2001 and 2003, President Barack Obama and Congress renewed the cuts for all income-brackets for two years in 2010.



Obama and the Democrats are now proposing that the rates be extended for one more year, until the end of 2013, for people earning less than $250,000 a year, while Republicans want the rates extended for people in all income brackets.



The Congressional Budget Office (CBO has projected that if the Bush tax cuts are allowed to expire at the end of 2012, coupled with the defense cut sequester, it will lead to a 1.3 percent contraction in GDP after Jan. 1, 2013.
Jimmyb is offline  
Remove Ads
Old July 18th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Not Believing My Eyes....
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 29,643
I don't know about falling from the sky, but money has been pouring out of the Fed and the banking system for more than a decade.



In fact, we may see QE3!!! Just not before the election, that's for sure. Big money, and big bankers, are lining up behind Mr. Romney.
imaginethat is offline  
Old July 18th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #3
Magister
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
I don't know about falling from the sky, but money has been pouring out of the Fed and the banking system for more than a decade.



In fact, we may see QE3!!! Just not before the election, that's for sure. Big money, and big bankers, are lining up behind Mr. Romney.


Hoyer’s statement is not a liberal outlier. Nancy Pelosi made these statements when Speaker of the House:


[indent=1]Unemployment Checks Fastest Way to Create Jobs. Unemployment benefits are creating jobs faster than practically any other program. It injects demand into the economy. It creates jobs faster than almost any other initiative you can name.[/indent]
Jimmyb is offline  
Old July 18th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Not Believing My Eyes....
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 29,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat' timestamp='1342639934' post='414661

I don't know about falling from the sky, but money has been pouring out of the Fed and the banking system for more than a decade.



In fact, we may see QE3!!! Just not before the election, that's for sure. Big money, and big bankers, are lining up behind Mr. Romney.


Hoyer’s statement is not a liberal outlier. Nancy Pelosi made these statements when Speaker of the House:


[indent=1]Unemployment Checks Fastest Way to Create Jobs. Unemployment benefits are creating jobs faster than practically any other program. It injects demand into the economy. It creates jobs faster than almost any other initiative you can name.[/indent]


I'm not saying Hoyer is a liberal outlier. I'm saying, don't expect anything but promises from the Fed before Nov. 4, because big money and big bankers want a President Romney.



And I'm puzzled Jimmy. Unemployment benefits put money directly into the hands of citizens, as opposed to the bailouts to big money and big bankers.
imaginethat is offline  
Old July 18th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Magister
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb' timestamp='1342640498' post='414664

[quote name='imaginethat' timestamp='1342639934' post='414661']

I don't know about falling from the sky, but money has been pouring out of the Fed and the banking system for more than a decade.



In fact, we may see QE3!!! Just not before the election, that's for sure. Big money, and big bankers, are lining up behind Mr. Romney.


Hoyer’s statement is not a liberal outlier. Nancy Pelosi made these statements when Speaker of the House:


[indent=1]Unemployment Checks Fastest Way to Create Jobs. Unemployment benefits are creating jobs faster than practically any other program. It injects demand into the economy. It creates jobs faster than almost any other initiative you can name.[/indent]


I'm not saying Hoyer is a liberal outlier. I'm saying, don't expect anything but promises from the Fed before Nov. 4, because big money and big bankers want a President Romney.



And I'm puzzled Jimmy. Unemployment benefits put money directly into the hands of citizens, as opposed to the bailouts to big money and big bankers.

[/quote]



I feel the same way about the bailouts.
Jimmyb is offline  
Old July 18th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #6
Your Own Moderator
 
pensacola_niceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 24,853
The government should bail out everybody who carries a debt.
pensacola_niceman is offline  
Old July 18th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
knowuryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 7,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat' timestamp='1342642463' post='414668

[quote name='Jimmyb' timestamp='1342640498' post='414664']

[quote name='imaginethat' timestamp='1342639934' post='414661']

I don't know about falling from the sky, but money has been pouring out of the Fed and the banking system for more than a decade.



In fact, we may see QE3!!! Just not before the election, that's for sure. Big money, and big bankers, are lining up behind Mr. Romney.


Hoyer’s statement is not a liberal outlier. Nancy Pelosi made these statements when Speaker of the House:


[indent=1]Unemployment Checks Fastest Way to Create Jobs. Unemployment benefits are creating jobs faster than practically any other program. It injects demand into the economy. It creates jobs faster than almost any other initiative you can name.[/indent]


I'm not saying Hoyer is a liberal outlier. I'm saying, don't expect anything but promises from the Fed before Nov. 4, because big money and big bankers want a President Romney.



And I'm puzzled Jimmy. Unemployment benefits put money directly into the hands of citizens, as opposed to the bailouts to big money and big bankers.

[/quote]



I feel the same way about the bailouts.

[/quote]





TARP was signed into law by Bush and had broad bipartisan support, so why are you indicting only "liberals" for it's passage?



Even McCain stopped his campaign short to go run back to Washington an lobby for the bailouts.
knowuryder is offline  
Old July 18th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #8
Not Believing My Eyes....
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 29,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowuryder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb' timestamp='1342645141' post='414675

[quote name='imaginethat' timestamp='1342642463' post='414668']

[quote name='Jimmyb' timestamp='1342640498' post='414664']

[quote name='imaginethat' timestamp='1342639934' post='414661']

I don't know about falling from the sky, but money has been pouring out of the Fed and the banking system for more than a decade.



In fact, we may see QE3!!! Just not before the election, that's for sure. Big money, and big bankers, are lining up behind Mr. Romney.


Hoyer’s statement is not a liberal outlier. Nancy Pelosi made these statements when Speaker of the House:


[indent=1]Unemployment Checks Fastest Way to Create Jobs. Unemployment benefits are creating jobs faster than practically any other program. It injects demand into the economy. It creates jobs faster than almost any other initiative you can name.[/indent]


I'm not saying Hoyer is a liberal outlier. I'm saying, don't expect anything but promises from the Fed before Nov. 4, because big money and big bankers want a President Romney.



And I'm puzzled Jimmy. Unemployment benefits put money directly into the hands of citizens, as opposed to the bailouts to big money and big bankers.

[/quote]



I feel the same way about the bailouts.

[/quote]





TARP was signed into law by Bush and had broad bipartisan support, so why are you indicting only "liberals" for it's passage?



Even McCain stopped his campaign short to go run back to Washington an lobby for the bailouts.

[/quote]



Man, are you ever putting an overlay on Jimmy. First, it'd be good to put things in context.



I'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat' timestamp='1342642463' post='414668

[quote name='Jimmyb' timestamp='1342640498' post='414664']

[quote name='imaginethat' timestamp='1342639934' post='414661']

I don't know about falling from the sky, but money has been pouring out of the Fed and the banking system for more than a decade.



In fact, we may see QE3!!! Just not before the election, that's for sure. Big money, and big bankers, are lining up behind Mr. Romney.


Hoyer’s statement is not a liberal outlier. Nancy Pelosi made these statements when Speaker of the House:


[indent=1]Unemployment Checks Fastest Way to Create Jobs. Unemployment benefits are creating jobs faster than practically any other program. It injects demand into the economy. It creates jobs faster than almost any other initiative you can name.[/indent]


I'm not saying Hoyer is a liberal outlier. I'm saying, don't expect anything but promises from the Fed before Nov. 4, because big money and big bankers want a President Romney.



And I'm puzzled Jimmy. Unemployment benefits put money directly into the hands of citizens, as opposed to the bailouts to big money and big bankers.

[/quote]



I feel the same way about the bailouts.

[/quote]



Second, after putting things in context, you claim that he's blaming liberals for anything simply vanishes.
imaginethat is offline  
Old July 18th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
knowuryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 7,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowuryder' timestamp='1342648339' post='414697

[quote name='Jimmyb' timestamp='1342645141' post='414675']

[quote name='imaginethat' timestamp='1342642463' post='414668']

[quote name='Jimmyb' timestamp='1342640498' post='414664']

[quote name='imaginethat' timestamp='1342639934' post='414661']

I don't know about falling from the sky, but money has been pouring out of the Fed and the banking system for more than a decade.



In fact, we may see QE3!!! Just not before the election, that's for sure. Big money, and big bankers, are lining up behind Mr. Romney.


Hoyer’s statement is not a liberal outlier. Nancy Pelosi made these statements when Speaker of the House:


[indent=1]Unemployment Checks Fastest Way to Create Jobs. Unemployment benefits are creating jobs faster than practically any other program. It injects demand into the economy. It creates jobs faster than almost any other initiative you can name.[/indent]


I'm not saying Hoyer is a liberal outlier. I'm saying, don't expect anything but promises from the Fed before Nov. 4, because big money and big bankers want a President Romney.



And I'm puzzled Jimmy. Unemployment benefits put money directly into the hands of citizens, as opposed to the bailouts to big money and big bankers.

[/quote]



I feel the same way about the bailouts.

[/quote]





TARP was signed into law by Bush and had broad bipartisan support, so why are you indicting only "liberals" for it's passage?



Even McCain stopped his campaign short to go run back to Washington an lobby for the bailouts.

[/quote]



Man, are you ever putting an overlay on Jimmy. First, it'd be good to put things in context.



I'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat' timestamp='1342642463' post='414668

[quote name='Jimmyb' timestamp='1342640498' post='414664']

[quote name='imaginethat' timestamp='1342639934' post='414661']

I don't know about falling from the sky, but money has been pouring out of the Fed and the banking system for more than a decade.



In fact, we may see QE3!!! Just not before the election, that's for sure. Big money, and big bankers, are lining up behind Mr. Romney.


Hoyer’s statement is not a liberal outlier. Nancy Pelosi made these statements when Speaker of the House:


[indent=1]Unemployment Checks Fastest Way to Create Jobs. Unemployment benefits are creating jobs faster than practically any other program. It injects demand into the economy. It creates jobs faster than almost any other initiative you can name.[/indent]


I'm not saying Hoyer is a liberal outlier. I'm saying, don't expect anything but promises from the Fed before Nov. 4, because big money and big bankers want a President Romney.



And I'm puzzled Jimmy. Unemployment benefits put money directly into the hands of citizens, as opposed to the bailouts to big money and big bankers.

[/quote]



I feel the same way about the bailouts.

[/quote]



Second, after putting things in context, you claim that I'm blaming liberals for anything simply vanishes.

[/quote]



That was not directed at you it was directed at Jimmy, sorry if I replied to the wrong post in the thread.
knowuryder is offline  
Old July 18th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Magister
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowuryder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb' timestamp='1342645141' post='414675

[quote name='imaginethat' timestamp='1342642463' post='414668']

[quote name='Jimmyb' timestamp='1342640498' post='414664']

[quote name='imaginethat' timestamp='1342639934' post='414661']

I don't know about falling from the sky, but money has been pouring out of the Fed and the banking system for more than a decade.



In fact, we may see QE3!!! Just not before the election, that's for sure. Big money, and big bankers, are lining up behind Mr. Romney.


Hoyer’s statement is not a liberal outlier. Nancy Pelosi made these statements when Speaker of the House:


[indent=1]Unemployment Checks Fastest Way to Create Jobs. Unemployment benefits are creating jobs faster than practically any other program. It injects demand into the economy. It creates jobs faster than almost any other initiative you can name.[/indent]






I'm not saying Hoyer is a liberal outlier. I'm saying, don't expect anything but promises from the Fed before Nov. 4, because big money and big bankers want a President Romney.



And I'm puzzled Jimmy. Unemployment benefits put money directly into the hands of citizens, as opposed to the bailouts to big money and big bankers.

[/quote]



I feel the same way about the bailouts.

[/quote]





TARP was signed into law by Bush and had broad bipartisan support, so why are you indicting only "liberals" for it's passage?



Even McCain stopped his campaign short to go run back to Washington an lobby for the bailouts.

[/quote]



I don't know. Why don't you point out where I indicted liberals about TARP? How long have you been creating alternate realities in your mind?
Jimmyb is offline  
Old July 18th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #11
Not Believing My Eyes....
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 29,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowuryder View Post
That was not directed at you it was directed at Jimmy, sorry if I replied to the wrong post in the thread.


MY apology! I thought it was directed at me and responded, but then I saw it wasn't and changed my post.



Quote:
Man, are you ever putting an overlay on Jimmy ....


Imo, Jimmy wasn't blaming anything on liberals. He was agreeing with me that bailouts suck for big money and big bankers.
imaginethat is offline  
Old July 19th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
(CNSNews.com) – House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) said Tuesday that food stamps and unemployment insurance are the two "most stimulative" t things you can do for the economy.


How come they keep telling us how smart they are, then never fail to say really stupid things?
Podium Pentothal is offline  
Old July 19th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #13
Eyes Wide Open
 
waitingtables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 39,349
You tell us. You would know how that is. I guess not everyone is dumb enough to follow the economic principles that have failed us and led to this problem. Too bad more people seem to believe the idiots that got us here than the ones who would actually fix it, like Hoyer.
waitingtables is offline  
Old July 19th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
knowuryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 7,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowuryder' timestamp='1342648339' post='414697

[quote name='Jimmyb' timestamp='1342645141' post='414675']

[quote name='imaginethat' timestamp='1342642463' post='414668']

[quote name='Jimmyb' timestamp='1342640498' post='414664']

[quote name='imaginethat' timestamp='1342639934' post='414661']

I don't know about falling from the sky, but money has been pouring out of the Fed and the banking system for more than a decade.



In fact, we may see QE3!!! Just not before the election, that's for sure. Big money, and big bankers, are lining up behind Mr. Romney.


Hoyer’s statement is not a liberal outlier. Nancy Pelosi made these statements when Speaker of the House:


[indent=1]Unemployment Checks Fastest Way to Create Jobs. Unemployment benefits are creating jobs faster than practically any other program. It injects demand into the economy. It creates jobs faster than almost any other initiative you can name.[/indent]






I'm not saying Hoyer is a liberal outlier. I'm saying, don't expect anything but promises from the Fed before Nov. 4, because big money and big bankers want a President Romney.



And I'm puzzled Jimmy. Unemployment benefits put money directly into the hands of citizens, as opposed to the bailouts to big money and big bankers.

[/quote]



I feel the same way about the bailouts.

[/quote]





TARP was signed into law by Bush and had broad bipartisan support, so why are you indicting only "liberals" for it's passage?



Even McCain stopped his campaign short to go run back to Washington an lobby for the bailouts.

[/quote]



I don't know. Why don't you point out where I indicted liberals about TARP? How long have you been creating alternate realities in your mind?

[/quote]



In the OP you start harping on liberal economics, how about the 30 years of conservative economics that brought us to the place where BOTH liberals and conservatives felt we needed to bail out to big to fail banking establishments?



You are constantly indicting liberals, so please spare us all your cluelessness.
knowuryder is offline  
Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:31 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,991
Again, there seems to be a lot of confusion in definitions of terms here.



A liberal is one who believes in big government and spending other people’s money. Let’s run through a quick checklist of people who would meet that definition:
  • Barack Obama
  • George Bush Jr.
  • Bill Clinton
  • George Bush Sr.

I’m leaving out Senators and Congressman for the sake of space, but there are thousands that would make the list.



Finding true conservatives in government is as hard as finding where all your taxpayer dollars are spent. But just to nudge the uniformed in the right direction, here’s a good place to start:



Dr. Tom Coburn
Podium Pentothal is offline  
Old July 24th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #16
Eyes Wide Open
 
waitingtables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 39,349
That is certainly not how we define ourselves and it is absolutely not true that either Bush president was a liberal. Not at all. Those are just more right wing lies intended to pass off the actions of some republicans onto liberals, when it was not a liberal agenda at all. If we are going to use your metric to measure, then Ronald Reagan was a pure liberal, as he believed in deficit spending and raising taxes.
waitingtables is offline  
Old July 24th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
knowuryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern California
Posts: 7,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtables View Post
That is certainly not how we define ourselves and it is absolutely not true that either Bush president was a liberal. Not at all. Those are just more right wing lies intended to pass off the actions of some republicans onto liberals, when it was not a liberal agenda at all. If we are going to use your metric to measure, then Ronald Reagan was a pure liberal, as he believed in deficit spending and raising taxes.


...and amnesty for illegal immigrants, and he bailed out Chrysler.
knowuryder is offline  
Old July 25th, 2012, 02:57 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,991
Ugh, we’re really not going to debate if Reagan was a “liberal” or not, are we?



How about this?



Could we agree the policies of the past few decades are not working regardless of which party is in power?
Podium Pentothal is offline  
Old July 25th, 2012, 04:47 AM   #19
Eyes Wide Open
 
waitingtables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 39,349
Not while you make ridiculous assertions like you consistently make without any proof to back them up. No. If what you claim about the Bush presidents is what you believe, then Reagan was a left wing progressive for raising taxes 11 times and deficit spending to get out of a recession.
waitingtables is offline  
Old July 25th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #20
Magister
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtables View Post
Not while you make ridiculous assertions like you consistently make without any proof to back them up. No. If what you claim about the Bush presidents is what you believe, then Reagan was a left wing progressive for raising taxes 11 times and deficit spending to get out of a recession.


First for the sake of truth; you have never presented a fact or opinion you gathered on your own without it being planted in your head, or being scavanged off a leftist source. So don't accuse PP of the same.



Raising or lowering taxes as needed does not define one politically. But raising taxes as a punitituve action against success is liberal, democrat, and progressive. And lowering taxes for no reason is just plain stupid. Just Reagan's moral compass and principles would have excluded him from being slandered by being called progressive.
Jimmyb is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
'most, economy, food, hoyer, insurance, stamps, stimulative', things, unemployment


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
President Obama Speaks on Extending the Payroll Tax Cut and Unemployment Insurance The White House The White House 0 February 14th, 2012 02:31 PM
Usa - Food Stamp Nation, 46M Get Food Stamps garysher Current Events 18 September 8th, 2011 10:36 AM
Hoyer warms to tax deal msnbc.com Current Events 0 December 14th, 2010 08:32 AM
Hoyer: Congress, not Obama, will decide earmarks CNN Current Events 1 March 4th, 2009 09:15 AM
Hoyer apologizes for 'slavish' remark CNN Current Events 2 October 18th, 2006 09:23 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.