Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Thanks Tree6Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #1
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 25,380
It's all about voter fraud, right ?

This is an assault on our Democratic process and nothing less.

Quote:
. Florida County Eliminates Minority-Heavy Polling Places

Source: ThinkProgress

On a party-line vote, a Florida county’s Republican majority Board of County Commissioners voted Tuesday to eliminate almost one-third of Manatee County’s voting sites. The board accepted a proposal by Supervisor of Elections Mike Bennett (R) by a 6-1 vote to trim the number of precincts, despite unanimous public testimony against the move — and complaints by the lone Democratic Commissioner that it would eliminate half of the polling places in his heavily minority District 2.

Bennett, in his first term as elections supervisor, proposed reducing the number of Manatee County precincts from 99 to 69. Citing decreased Election Day turnout, as more voters switch to in-person early voting and vote-by-mail options, he told the commissioners that the move would save money and allow the county to offer more early voting sites in the future.

In the public comment section of the meeting, all ten speeches strongly opposed the move. Representatives of the local NAACP and Southern Christian Leadership Council warned that the cuts would decrease voter turnout because voters would have to travel further to a polling place, especially among the elderly and people without cars, and noted that the cuts disproportionately affected minority-heavy precincts. Bennett dismissed these concerns, noting that because District 2 had received “preferential treatment in the past,” even with the changes, his district will have the smallest number of voters per precinct. “It was overbalanced before, it’s overbalanced now.” Bennett also repeatedly noted that he had discussed the move with civil rights groups and both the Republican and “Democrat” Parties.

Bennett assured the commission that if lines are longer in 2014 as a result of these changes, he would ask them to revisit the decision in 2015, before the 2016 elections. But it is unclear whether voter accessibility is a sincere priority for him. In 2011, while serving in the Florida Senate, he endorsed making it hard to vote: “I wouldn’t have any problem making it harder. I would want them to vote as badly as I want to vote. I want the people of the state of Florida to want to vote as bad as that person in Africa who’s willing to walk 200 miles…This should not be easy.”

-snip-

Read more: Florida County Eliminates Minority-Heavy Polling Places | ThinkProgress
Camelot is offline  
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:45 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In the mind of commie hippies
Posts: 38,895
It seems they gave a reason.

Quote:
Bennett, in his first term as elections supervisor, proposed reducing the number of Manatee County precincts from 99 to 69. Citing decreased Election Day turnout, as more voters switch to in-person early voting and vote-by-mail options, he told the commissioners that the move would save money and allow the county to offer more early voting sites in the future
Quote:
Representatives of the local NAACP and Southern Christian Leadership Council warned that the cuts would decrease voter turnout because voters would have to travel further to a polling place, especially among the elderly and people without cars, and noted that the cuts disproportionately affected minority-heavy precincts.
The difference is 2.7 miles with 69 polling places rather than 99.

And on another note, ID's are required to attend the North Carolina State Conference of the NAACP rally to protest the Voter ID law in North Carolina.
Thanks from caconservative, RNG and pana8
Jimmyb is offline  
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:56 PM   #3
Eyes Wide Open
 
waitingtables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 44,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
It seems they gave a reason.





The difference is 2.7 miles with 69 polling places rather than 99.

And on another note, ID's are required to attend the North Carolina State Conference of the NAACP rally to protest the Voter ID law in North Carolina.
IDs are required there because people haven't pre-registered for it by showing ID and a signature. It is not comparable. So your little aside means nothing. On another note, attending a protest rally is in no way like voting.
waitingtables is offline  
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:57 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In the mind of commie hippies
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtables View Post
IDs are required there because people haven't pre-registered for it by showing ID and a signature. It is not comparable. So your little aside means nothing. On another note, attending a protest rally is in no way like voting.
Of course it isn't other than having to prove who you are.
Jimmyb is offline  
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:59 PM   #5
Eyes Wide Open
 
waitingtables's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 44,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
Of course it isn't other than having to prove who you are.
You can't vote without having registered and you can't register to vote without having had to prove who you are.

waitingtables is offline  
Old February 11th, 2014, 01:02 PM   #6
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 25,380
Don't let him take you off topic WT. I guess the 5 hour waiting time to vote in minority communities in Florida in 2012 was not enough to satiate Republican thirst for voter suppression.
Thanks from waitingtables
Camelot is offline  
Old February 11th, 2014, 02:45 PM   #7
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 25,380
The moment the Right wingers on the Supreme Court gutted the Voting Rights Act, the Republicans illustrate why the Voting Rights Act needed to be continued.
Thanks from waitingtables
Camelot is offline  
Old February 11th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In the mind of commie hippies
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
The moment the Right wingers on the Supreme Court gutted the Voting Rights Act, the Republicans illustrate why the Voting Rights Act needed to be continued.
What is a "right winger" on the Supreme Court? You illustrate why we need internment camps.
Jimmyb is offline  
Old February 11th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 17,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
Of course it isn't other than having to prove who you are.
Which is the ultimate goal of voter ID. That must have flown over her head. Much like, if you like your doctor you can....
Thanks from Jimmyb
caconservative is offline  
Old February 11th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #10
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 25,380
I guess you two didn't read the article that started this thread. It had nothing to do with voter fraud. Reading is essential......LOL
Camelot is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
fraud, voter



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hey democrats can you say voter fraud sovereignman Current Events 97 June 21st, 2013 10:08 AM
Voter Fraud Log... Post events of voter fraud here.... MAGMAN Current Events 7 October 27th, 2012 04:12 PM
The Truth about Voter Fraud knot_e_lady Politicians 1 October 28th, 2008 05:30 AM
Voter Fraud in the U.S? Observer Politicians 1 December 12th, 2007 09:39 PM
Republican Voter Fraud... foundit66 Political Talk 38 October 25th, 2006 08:31 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.