Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Thanks Tree38Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #71
Banned
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 35,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
I believe that there is no god. And I admit that I can't prove it. My rational for this belief is along these lines. Yes, we think there needs to be a "prime mover", "guiding force", whatever to fill the current gaps in our knowledge of cause and effect.

But I keep coming back to a lecture some missionaries from my parents church who returned from Africa and put on a slide show on their experiences. One of the things they went on about at great length was that any time they saw an airplane cross the sky, they all thought is was a god. And most thought the god would cause them some type of grief. They were terrified. The missionaries laughed at them which even at the age of 10 I knew was not fair because they didn't have the knowledge base, or ability to acquire it, to realize the cause and effect of heavier than air flight.

So I keep thinking that one of these days some missionaries from Alpha Centauri will come, try and teach us and go back home to laugh about how ignorant we are because we don't know how our universe came to be. I'm not saying that will happen, but I think it is as likely, or in fact more likely than there being a "superior, ephemeral entity".
I have no problem with what you say.. There could be a lot of explainations for God, or the answer could be there really is a God.
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old February 27th, 2015, 01:01 AM   #72
Senior Member
 
LongWinded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 11,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
I have no problem with what you say.. There could be a lot of explainations for God, or the answer could be there really is a God.
Or that god is the creation of rich men to control masses of people. That ones the most probable, as there's no proof of any god, just a "belief".
LongWinded is offline  
Old February 27th, 2015, 01:06 AM   #73
Banned
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 35,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWinded View Post
Or that god is the creation of rich men to control masses of people. That ones the most probable, as there's no proof of any god, just a "belief".
Prove it.
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old February 27th, 2015, 01:11 AM   #74
Senior Member
 
LongWinded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 11,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
Prove it.
I don't have to prove a god doesn't exist. He doesn't exist. YOU have the burden of proving something not seen, nor heard DOES exist.

You don't understand how this all works, do you? Are you a Bob Jones University grad?
LongWinded is offline  
Old February 27th, 2015, 03:52 AM   #75
Senior Member
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWinded View Post
I don't have to prove a god doesn't exist. He doesn't exist. YOU have the burden of proving something not seen, nor heard DOES exist.

You don't understand how this all works, do you? Are you a Bob Jones University grad?
The burden of proof is on you.
Jimmyb is offline  
Old February 27th, 2015, 03:54 AM   #76
Senior Member
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWinded View Post
Or that god is the creation of rich men to control masses of people. That ones the most probable, as there's no proof of any god, just a "belief".
Substantiate your statement. If it is the most probable, then show me your mathematical probability model.
Jimmyb is offline  
Old February 27th, 2015, 03:54 AM   #77
Senior Member
 
baloney_detector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,029
“Evolution in no way implies atheism, although it is consistent with atheism. But evolution is clearly inconsistent with the literal truth of certain revered books. If we believe the Bible was written by people, and not dictated word-for-word to a flawless stenographer by the Creator of the Universe, or if we believe God might on occasion resort to metaphor for clarity, then evolution should pose no theological problem. But whether it poses a problem or not, the evidence for evolution-that it has happened, apart from the debate on whether uniformitarian natural selection fully explains how it happened-is overwhelming.

The Darwinian perspective is central to all of modern biology, from investigations of the molecular structure of DNA to studies of the behavior of apes and men. It connects us with our long-forgotten ancestors and our swarm of relatives, the millions of other species with whom we share the Earth. But the price exacted has been high, and there are still-especially in the United States-those who refuse to pay, and for very human and fathomable reasons. Evolution suggests that if God exists, God is fond of secondary causes and factotum processes: getting the Universe going, establishing the laws of Nature, and then retiring from the scene. A hands-on Executive seems to be absent; power has been delegated. Evolution suggests that God will not intervene, whether beseeched or not, to save us from ourselves. Evolution suggests we’re on our own-that if there is a God, that God must be very far away. This is enough to explain much of the emotional anguish and alienation that evolution has worked. We long to believe that there’s someone at the helm.”


"Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors"
Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan
baloney_detector is offline  
Old February 27th, 2015, 04:11 AM   #78
Senior Member
 
Nwolfe35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 16,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
The burden of proof is on you.
If someone claims a god doesn't exist then that is a positive statement.

An atheist is (in most cases) someone who says I don't believe a god exists then that puts the burden of proof on those that claim one does exist.

If a theist wants to only claim "I believe a god exists" that is their right. But if they offer no convincing evidence for that claim then they might as well believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny too.
Nwolfe35 is offline  
Old February 27th, 2015, 04:20 AM   #79
Senior Member
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwolfe35 View Post
If someone claims a god doesn't exist then that is a positive statement.

An atheist is (in most cases) someone who says I don't believe a god exists then that puts the burden of proof on those that claim one does exist.

If a theist wants to only claim "I believe a god exists" that is their right. But if they offer no convincing evidence for that claim then they might as well believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny too.
If an atheist says they do not believe God exists, then they have the burden of providing the evidence that God does not exist, which there is nit evidence that God does not exist. And to the contrary, there is evidence that God exists.
Jimmyb is offline  
Old February 27th, 2015, 04:29 AM   #80
Senior Member
 
baloney_detector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
...there is evidence that God exists.
...and that alleged evidence happens to be...?
baloney_detector is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
creationists, heal, mental, scientists, suggest, top, watch, ‘imprisoned’



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rev. Edward Pinkney Imprisoned for Fighting the Whirlpool Corporation LongWinded Current Events 0 December 16th, 2014 01:26 PM
List of scientists who became creationists after studying the evidence. Nwolfe35 Atheism 95 December 14th, 2013 06:43 AM
Navy veteran Donald Vance says he was imprisoned by the American military intangible child Warfare 0 August 24th, 2007 06:14 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.