Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Thanks Tree113Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2015, 07:01 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtables View Post
States rights are paramount, only landowners should vote and the Supreme Court should not be an activist court. In other words, liberty is only for rich white men.
You have no idea what the word "liberty" meant, do you?
Jimmyb is offline  
Old June 22nd, 2015, 07:02 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
JamesB's legal acumen is beyond reproach.
Any time you want to debate the law or American history with me instead of running away each time I point out your fabrications, knock you lights out.
Jimmyb is offline  
Old June 22nd, 2015, 07:16 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
skews13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: nirvana
Posts: 8,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtables View Post
States rights are paramount, only landowners should vote and the Supreme Court should not be an activist court. In other words, liberty is only for rich white men.
Well, except for this one small detail, he would have a point.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KoTYPUhjjp-XWQ
skews13 is offline  
Old June 22nd, 2015, 07:26 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by skews13 View Post
Well, except for this one small detail, he would have a point.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KoTYPUhjjp-XWQ
I suppose you are going to enlighten me how a court ruling twenty-seven years after the foundational principles of this country were declared is a founding principle. You may also want to throw in the man who was on the opposite side of that ruling put the founding principles in writing in 1776. I will await this one small detail from you.

Have any of you ever actually taken, at the least, a high school history class?
Thanks from caconservative and excalibur
Jimmyb is offline  
Old June 22nd, 2015, 07:41 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
skews13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: nirvana
Posts: 8,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
I suppose you are going to enlighten me how a court ruling twenty-seven years after the foundational principles of this country were declared is a founding principle. You may also want to throw in the man who was on the opposite side of that ruling put the founding principles in writing in 1776. I will await this one small detail from you.

Have any of you ever actually taken, at the least, a high school history class?
The article posted explains the decision quite clearly.

Marbury v Madison is the accepted settled law.

I await your explanation on how the current court will discard the ruling, or how Congress is going to pass laws that amends it.

Hopefully before the elections next year.
skews13 is offline  
Old June 22nd, 2015, 07:43 PM   #26
Banned
 
excalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Milky Way
Posts: 24,581
This from skews link:

Quote:

Jefferson disagreed with Marshall's reasoning in this case:
You seem to consider the judges as the ultimate arbiters of all constitutional questions; a very dangerous doctrine indeed, and one which would place us under the despotism of an oligarchy. Our judges are as honest as other men, and not more so. They have, with others, the same passions for party, for power, and the privilege of their corps.... Their power [is] the more dangerous as they are in office for life, and not responsible, as the other functionaries are, to the elective control. The Constitution has erected no such single tribunal, knowing that to whatever hands confided, with the corruptions of time and party, its members would become despots. It has more wisely made all the departments co-equal and co-sovereign within themselves.
And an oligarchy we have.


excalibur is offline  
Old June 22nd, 2015, 07:48 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by skews13 View Post
The article posted explains the decision quite clearly.

Marbury v Madison is the accepted settled law.

I await your explanation on how the current court will discard the ruling, or how Congress is going to pass laws that amends it.

Hopefully before the elections next year.
You used Wikipedia to explain Marbury to me? Are you serious. Read my writing on Marbury.

You do know that the Marbury ruling isn't law, and that the case did not involve a law, right?

Now if you want to address the twenty-seven year difference between the founding principles and Marbury, knock your lights out.
Jimmyb is offline  
Old June 22nd, 2015, 07:58 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 19,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
And so expands the uneducated class. This is why the U.S. needs a qualification to vote. The founders understood that.
refresh my memory if you don't mind. What were the "qualifications to vote", let's say in the 1800 presidential election.
Hollywood is offline  
Old June 22nd, 2015, 08:01 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
refresh my memory if you don't mind. What were the "qualifications to vote", let's say in the 1800 presidential election.
Which state?
Jimmyb is offline  
Old June 22nd, 2015, 08:05 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
skews13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: nirvana
Posts: 8,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur View Post
This from skews link:



And an oligarchy we have.


Oh, so you're taking Jefferson's side on this? Interesting.

How about his stance on the separation of church and state?

Looks like he was right about that to huh?

Looks like Jefferson knew his despots.

But he lost that argument with Washington, so you'll have to deal with that.

As far as an oligarchy goes, you'll have to take that up with the Presidents that nominated them, and the Senators that confirmed them.

That boy Thomas. He was ahead of his time.
skews13 is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
confederate, flag, merchandise, remove, store, walmart



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you think the University should remove the Flag? Peter Forsberg Current Events 45 July 11th, 2014 07:23 AM
Confederate Flag Can Still Draw Blood NowhereMan Liberalism 7 June 10th, 2014 08:10 AM
Presidential Proclamation -- Flag Day and National Flag Week, 2013 The White House The White House 0 June 7th, 2013 02:10 PM
Feds Won't Stop Walmart Black Friday Strike, Walmart Threatens Firings skews13 Current Events 28 November 26th, 2012 03:17 PM
Biden calls for removal of Confederate flag CNN Current Events 1 January 15th, 2007 07:32 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.