Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #1
CNN
Politics
 
CNN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,362
Republicans block bill making it easier to form unions

Read full story for latest details.



View the full article here.
CNN is offline  
Old June 26th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
knot_e_lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,371
I'm not sure how I feel about this....



Being from Michigan, I've seen first hand the harm unions have done to companies, and to people, for that matter.



I've seen workers, who make $25.00 plus sitting on their butts, sleeping, and completely ignoring truck drivers that are trying to drop off product simply because they were 'on break' (a break that lasted better then 1/2 hour, I might add). I've seen salaried workers get written up because they wheeled a typewriter from one cubicle to another because they didn't want to wait 3 days for a union employee to do it (no lie!!!). I've actually been witness to a union driver run a 30,000 lb forklift into a building, destroying the forklift (worth about $250,000) and causing $100,000's worth of damage to the building and not lose his job.



I think when unions were formed they were desperately needed. Corporations were working people to death, and the people had no one to help them. Nowadays, though, this just isn't the case. And unions have become exactly what they were formed to fight against, huge corporate lobbies that really don't care about the little guys.
knot_e_lady is offline  
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
sgtdmski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Poplar, MT
Posts: 2,181
This bill is bad because it gets around the democratic process. I have worked at several places where they have attempted to get Unions. When the Union representatives first come in they pass out cards which you fill out, this enables them to talk to you. Filling out the card may not mean that you wish for a Union.



But Unions don't see it that way. Instead of having a vote on a Secret Ballot to see whether the required 50% +1 employees vote in favor, they want to install the union as soon as they have the 50% + 1 cards.



Does anybody see the cowardice of the unions here. To get information about what they will do for you as a member you have to fill out a card in which the Union wants everyone to believe that means you want the Union.



Sorry but we vote by secret ballot for our President, Senators, and Representatives, why not still do that with Unions.



This bill was entitled the Employee Free Choice Act. Where is the choice, just by signing to get infomation the Unions are saying you want them. If this is truly a Free Choice Act why is there no mention of eliminating the Closed Shop in the Bill. Why not call the act what it really is, the Join the Union Choice Act.



dmk
sgtdmski is offline  
Old June 27th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #4
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by knot_e_lady
I'm not sure how I feel about this....



Being from Michigan, I've seen first hand the harm unions have done to companies, and to people, for that matter.



I've seen workers, who make $25.00 plus sitting on their butts, sleeping, and completely ignoring truck drivers that are trying to drop off product simply because they were 'on break' (a break that lasted better then 1/2 hour, I might add). I've seen salaried workers get written up because they wheeled a typewriter from one cubicle to another because they didn't want to wait 3 days for a union employee to do it (no lie!!!). I've actually been witness to a union driver run a 30,000 lb forklift into a building, destroying the forklift (worth about $250,000) and causing $100,000's worth of damage to the building and not lose his job.



I think when unions were formed they were desperately needed. Corporations were working people to death, and the people had no one to help them. Nowadays, though, this just isn't the case. And unions have become exactly what they were formed to fight against, huge corporate lobbies that really don't care about the little guys.
Let me show you where your premise is wrong. A corporation/business is an inanimate object. Not a living thing. Should we give more rights to inanimate objects than we do U.S. citizens? With your logic we should give robots the same rights we give U.S. citizens. So when a robot murders you we will make sure it gets a fair trial.
billybobama is offline  
Old June 27th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
knot_e_lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobama
Let me show you where your premise is wrong. A corporation/business is an inanimate object. Not a living thing. Should we give more rights to inanimate objects than we do U.S. citizens? With your logic we should give robots the same rights we give U.S. citizens. So when a robot murders you we will make sure it gets a fair trial.


Billy, you lecturing me about my illogic is like G.W. Bush lecturing me about bad English.
knot_e_lady is offline  
Old June 28th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #6
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by knot_e_lady
Billy, you lecturing me about my illogic is like G.W. Bush lecturing me about bad English.
I see you can do nothing to refute my post. Typical of all Republicans. I also see you know zero about business. I will educate you further. A corporation/business, an inamimate object, requires two things to exist. Cash flow and profit, again two more inanimate objects. Why do you care more about non-living objects more than you do your fellow Americans? I can tell you why. You are a Fascist Republican.
billybobama is offline  
Old June 28th, 2007, 03:57 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
knot_e_lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobama
I see you can do nothing to refute my post. Typical of all Republicans. I also see you know zero about business. I will educate you further. A corporation/business, an inamimate object, requires two things to exist. Cash flow and profit, again two more inanimate objects. Why do you care more about non-living objects more than you do your fellow Americans? I can tell you why. You are a Fascist Republican.


ROFLMAO!!!!



So, anyone who thinks your posts are a bunch of hot air is a Republican?



Have you even read any of my other posts? I'm a fascist Republican that believes both Bush and Cheney should be impeached and thrown into jail? How does that work, exactly?



What a joke you are.



LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
knot_e_lady is offline  
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:41 AM   #8
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by knot_e_lady
ROFLMAO!!!!



So, anyone who thinks your posts are a bunch of hot air is a Republican?



Have you even read any of my other posts? I'm a fascist Republican that believes both Bush and Cheney should be impeached and thrown into jail? How does that work, exactly?



What a joke you are.



LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Again you post nothing to refute my post. And you know who you voted for.
billybobama is offline  
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
intangible child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: California
Posts: 12,699
Same ol shit, different repulsians!



Reagan presidency pivotal for unions - baltimoresun.com
intangible child is offline  
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
knot_e_lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobama
Again you post nothing to refute my post. And you know who you voted for.


Yes, and I'll be more then happy to tell you....



1992 - Bill Clinton

1996 - Bill Clinton

2000 - Al Gore

2004 - John Kerry



Shall we get into local elections? Jennifer Granholm, Levin and Stabenow.



And there really isn't anything in your post to refute.



Most people know that corporations are inanimate, but they are run by flesh and blood people.



You really are boring, you know that?



Oh, and BTW, billyboidiot? Unions are inanimate objects, too.
knot_e_lady is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
bill, block, easier, form, making, republicans, unions



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Republicans Backed Into A Corner Of Their Own Making skews13 Current Events 3 November 27th, 2012 09:38 AM
Is making gay jokes a form of gay bashing. tyreay Opinion Polls 58 November 18th, 2011 10:16 AM
Republicans block bill to restore Habeus Corpus waitingtables Political Talk 64 January 4th, 2008 01:47 PM
Republicans block bill to give troops equal time waitingtables Warfare 0 September 20th, 2007 07:31 AM
Republicans block bill making it easier to form unions CNN Current Events 2 June 28th, 2007 03:23 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.