Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Thanks Tree11Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2015, 04:23 AM   #1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: ohio
Posts: 4,786
Well now, what say you liberals?

Lesbian Judge Refuses to Marry Straight Couples

Tonya Parker says until same-sex licenses are legal in Texas, she will not sign the forms.
By Danielle Wright
Posted: 02/27/2012 11:30 AM EST
Filed Under gay marriage, marriage, gay rights, same-sex marriage, New York City, Texas, Washington, D.C., National News

(Photo: State of Texas)
A Black, openly lesbian Texas judge is refusing to conduct straight-couple marriage ceremonies in her state until same-sex couples can wed.

The judge, Tonya Parker, recently explained her decision during a Stonewall Democrats of Dallas monthly meeting.

I do not perform them because it is not an equal application of the law. Period, she said, reports the NY Daily News.

Parker says she is using her decision as an opportunity to give a lesson about marriage equality in the state.

So I usually will offer them something along the lines of, Im sorry. I dont perform marriage ceremonies because we are in a state that does not have marriage equality, and until it does, I am not going to partially apply the law to one group of people that doesnt apply to another group of people,' she says.

Same-sex marriage licenses have been granted in six states: Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont and Washington, D.C.

Conversely, in states that have approved gay marriage, clerks across the country have been in jeopardy of losing their jobs for refusing to sign marriage licenses for same-sex couples.




BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world.
Patriot66 is offline  
Old September 8th, 2015, 06:08 AM   #2
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 25,390
Brilliant women. A court can not rule against her without similarly ruling against the state of Texas for discrimination. In that case, she will achieve her goal. See what a little intelligence can do to increase one's chances of success. P.S.: You Right wingers were bragging and applauding on another thread about counties in Alabama refusing to issue marriage licenses to anyone.
Camelot is offline  
Old September 8th, 2015, 06:15 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 9,178
Well, it's an old story, but it turns out she was right, and same sex marriage licenses are being issued in Texas. So no harm, no foul...


And to be a little more to the point, a Judge has the option of performing a marriage, not the duty to perform a marriage.
That's different from a Clerk, who has the duty to issue marriage licenses.

Last edited by goober; September 8th, 2015 at 06:17 AM.
goober is online now  
Old September 8th, 2015, 06:44 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 609
If a judge can decide not to marry people isn't it "not an equal application of the law" to fired clerks for not performing marriages and allowing only a judge to act on her own conscious? In my community, a baker got an outrageous fine for refusing to bake a gay couple a wedding cake, and yet everywhere restaurants have signs saying they can refuse to give someone service. Liberty means the right to determine what is right, and a law that takes that right away from us and not a liberal law.
Athena is offline  
Old September 8th, 2015, 06:58 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 56,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot66 View Post
Lesbian Judge Refuses to Marry Straight Couples

Tonya Parker says until same-sex licenses are legal in Texas, she will not sign the forms.
By Danielle Wright
Posted: 02/27/2012 11:30 AM EST
Filed Under gay marriage, marriage, gay rights, same-sex marriage, New York City, Texas, Washington, D.C., National News

(Photo: State of Texas)
A Black, openly lesbian Texas judge is refusing to conduct straight-couple marriage ceremonies in her state until same-sex couples can wed.

The judge, Tonya Parker, recently explained her decision during a Stonewall Democrats of Dallas monthly meeting.

I do not perform them because it is not an equal application of the law. Period, she said, reports the NY Daily News.

Parker says she is using her decision as an opportunity to give a lesson about marriage equality in the state.

So I usually will offer them something along the lines of, Im sorry. I dont perform marriage ceremonies because we are in a state that does not have marriage equality, and until it does, I am not going to partially apply the law to one group of people that doesnt apply to another group of people,' she says.

Same-sex marriage licenses have been granted in six states: Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont and Washington, D.C.

Conversely, in states that have approved gay marriage, clerks across the country have been in jeopardy of losing their jobs for refusing to sign marriage licenses for same-sex couples.




BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world.
A Feb 27, 2012, story? Reeeallllly?????

Thanks from Sabcat
imaginethat is offline  
Old September 8th, 2015, 07:00 AM   #6
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: ohio
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
A Feb 27, 2012, story? Reeeallllly?????

Yeah she did it for 3 years, the hypocrisy of these replies stinks to high heaven, the double standard is amazing.
Patriot66 is offline  
Old September 8th, 2015, 07:17 AM   #7
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: ohio
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Well, it's an old story, but it turns out she was right, and same sex marriage licenses are being issued in Texas. So no harm, no foul...


And to be a little more to the point, a Judge has the option of performing a marriage, not the duty to perform a marriage.
That's different from a Clerk, who has the duty to issue marriage licenses.
Oh typical double standard then! ok just say so
Patriot66 is offline  
Old September 8th, 2015, 07:23 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
BubbaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 6,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot66 View Post
Yeah she did it for 3 years, the hypocrisy of these replies stinks to high heaven, the double standard is amazing.
The difference is, the judge isn't "required" to marry people. She doesn't even need a reason not to marry people. Its an option in her job.

But in KY (and most other states) you can't get married unless the clerk issues the marriage license. It is her job to issue those licenses. Not doing so is not an option. As long as you meet the state requirements, age, not already married, etc, the clerk is obligated to issue the license.
Thanks from foundit66
BubbaJones is offline  
Old September 8th, 2015, 07:38 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 19,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot66 View Post
Lesbian Judge Refuses to Marry Straight Couples

Tonya Parker says until same-sex licenses are legal in Texas, she will not sign the forms.
By Danielle Wright
Posted: 02/27/2012 11:30 AM EST
Filed Under gay marriage, marriage, gay rights, same-sex marriage, New York City, Texas, Washington, D.C., National News

(Photo: State of Texas)
A Black, openly lesbian Texas judge is refusing to conduct straight-couple marriage ceremonies in her state until same-sex couples can wed.

The judge, Tonya Parker, recently explained her decision during a Stonewall Democrats of Dallas monthly meeting.

I do not perform them because it is not an equal application of the law. Period, she said, reports the NY Daily News.

Parker says she is using her decision as an opportunity to give a lesson about marriage equality in the state.

So I usually will offer them something along the lines of, Im sorry. I dont perform marriage ceremonies because we are in a state that does not have marriage equality, and until it does, I am not going to partially apply the law to one group of people that doesnt apply to another group of people,' she says.

Same-sex marriage licenses have been granted in six states: Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont and Washington, D.C.

Conversely, in states that have approved gay marriage, clerks across the country have been in jeopardy of losing their jobs for refusing to sign marriage licenses for same-sex couples.




BET National News - Keep up to date with breaking news stories from around the nation, including headlines from the hip hop and entertainment world.
Well what? She can share a hail cell with the loon in Kentucky so far as I;m concerned. If, course she4 is sentenced to jail for contempt of court or whatever.
Hollywood is offline  
Old September 8th, 2015, 08:14 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Nwolfe35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 14,882
You do realize that there is a difference between issuing a marriage license and officiating at a marriage ceremony don't you?

Also, as already pointed out, this story is about 3 1/2 years old AND since gay marriage was made legal this judge has officiated at marriage ceremonies.
Thanks from waitingtables and Camelot
Nwolfe35 is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
liberals



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what liberals don't know webguy4 Political Humor 200 May 13th, 2017 11:32 AM
Liberals of Oz Jimmyb Political Humor 10 October 13th, 2014 11:50 PM
Liberals - Just Wow RNG Americas 84 January 4th, 2014 06:20 AM
Liberals Gone Wild! alias Political Talk 13 October 23rd, 2006 11:37 PM
Liberals theBTMANIAC Political Talk 12 December 20th, 2005 06:05 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.