Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Thanks Tree21Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2016, 05:58 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Toefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: No Name City
Posts: 516
Another idiot in power that does not understand our constitution

Congress once again shucking responsibility.

Mitch McConnell Ready To Give President Unlimited War Powers

WASHINGTON -- Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) caught nearly everybody off guard late Wednesday by quietly clearing the path for new legislation to declare war on the self-described Islamic State -- an issue he'd signaled for months he had no interest in touching.

McConnell introduced a sweeping authorization for the use of military force, or AUMF, that would give the president new authority to take action against the militant group also known as ISIS or ISIL. It wouldn't put any limits on the duration, geography or use of U.S. ground combat troops in the war, or on the means by which the U.S. military could act. It also would keep in place a broad AUMF from 2001 that never expired and that allows the president to take military action against anyone, anywhere, connected to the terrorists behind the 9/11 attacks.

In other words, it's a war authorization that's as wide open as it gets. (Read the text of McConnell's proposal below.)

White House spokeswoman Brandi Hoffine couldn't say if President Barack Obama would get behind McConnell's vision of an AUMF.

"We certainly welcome Republicans taking an interest in specifically authorizing the continued use of military force against ISIL," Hoffine said. "We will review the proposal put forward by Leader McConnell, and look forward to continued consultations as Congress undertakes what we hope will be the robust debate and amendment process the American people deserve on this important topic."

She added, "However, the president has also been clear from the beginning that we will not be engaging in the type of armed conflict that we saw in Iraq and Afghanistan, and that remains the case."

Obama has been urging Congress for more than a year to pass a new AUMF tailored to the fight against ISIS. Since August 2014, he's been relying on the 2001 AUMF as his legal grounds for launching military strikes against ISIS without congressional signoff. The Constitution requires Congress -- not the president -- to declare wars. But the White House argues ISIS is an offshoot of al Qaeda, so it's still covered by the 2001 AUMF.
Thanks from Sabcat
Toefoot is offline  
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:01 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 15,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefoot View Post
Congress once again shucking responsibility.

Mitch McConnell Ready To Give President Unlimited War Powers

WASHINGTON -- Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) caught nearly everybody off guard late Wednesday by quietly clearing the path for new legislation to declare war on the self-described Islamic State -- an issue he'd signaled for months he had no interest in touching.

McConnell introduced a sweeping authorization for the use of military force, or AUMF, that would give the president new authority to take action against the militant group also known as ISIS or ISIL. It wouldn't put any limits on the duration, geography or use of U.S. ground combat troops in the war, or on the means by which the U.S. military could act. It also would keep in place a broad AUMF from 2001 that never expired and that allows the president to take military action against anyone, anywhere, connected to the terrorists behind the 9/11 attacks.

In other words, it's a war authorization that's as wide open as it gets. (Read the text of McConnell's proposal below.)

White House spokeswoman Brandi Hoffine couldn't say if President Barack Obama would get behind McConnell's vision of an AUMF.

"We certainly welcome Republicans taking an interest in specifically authorizing the continued use of military force against ISIL," Hoffine said. "We will review the proposal put forward by Leader McConnell, and look forward to continued consultations as Congress undertakes what we hope will be the robust debate and amendment process the American people deserve on this important topic."

She added, "However, the president has also been clear from the beginning that we will not be engaging in the type of armed conflict that we saw in Iraq and Afghanistan, and that remains the case."

Obama has been urging Congress for more than a year to pass a new AUMF tailored to the fight against ISIS. Since August 2014, he's been relying on the 2001 AUMF as his legal grounds for launching military strikes against ISIS without congressional signoff. The Constitution requires Congress -- not the president -- to declare wars. But the White House argues ISIS is an offshoot of al Qaeda, so it's still covered by the 2001 AUMF.
So have the Republican dominated Congress stand up and vote yes or no to formally declare war on a sovereign nation that does not exist.
We'll just ignore the fact that the nations of Syria and Iraq do indeed legally exist.
Problem solved.
Thanks from Camelot
Hollywood is online now  
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:10 AM   #3
TW
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 19,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefoot View Post
Congress once again shucking responsibility.

Mitch McConnell Ready To Give President Unlimited War Powers

WASHINGTON -- Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) caught nearly everybody off guard late Wednesday by quietly clearing the path for new legislation to declare war on the self-described Islamic State -- an issue he'd signaled for months he had no interest in touching.

McConnell introduced a sweeping authorization for the use of military force, or AUMF, that would give the president new authority to take action against the militant group also known as ISIS or ISIL. It wouldn't put any limits on the duration, geography or use of U.S. ground combat troops in the war, or on the means by which the U.S. military could act. It also would keep in place a broad AUMF from 2001 that never expired and that allows the president to take military action against anyone, anywhere, connected to the terrorists behind the 9/11 attacks.

In other words, it's a war authorization that's as wide open as it gets. (Read the text of McConnell's proposal below.)

White House spokeswoman Brandi Hoffine couldn't say if President Barack Obama would get behind McConnell's vision of an AUMF.

"We certainly welcome Republicans taking an interest in specifically authorizing the continued use of military force against ISIL," Hoffine said. "We will review the proposal put forward by Leader McConnell, and look forward to continued consultations as Congress undertakes what we hope will be the robust debate and amendment process the American people deserve on this important topic."

She added, "However, the president has also been clear from the beginning that we will not be engaging in the type of armed conflict that we saw in Iraq and Afghanistan, and that remains the case."

Obama has been urging Congress for more than a year to pass a new AUMF tailored to the fight against ISIS. Since August 2014, he's been relying on the 2001 AUMF as his legal grounds for launching military strikes against ISIS without congressional signoff. The Constitution requires Congress -- not the president -- to declare wars. But the White House argues ISIS is an offshoot of al Qaeda, so it's still covered by the 2001 AUMF.
eliminate the federal reserve bank and the income tax. out law the state taking out loans. make them beg the people for money for war. then who really gives a shit how they dress it up. if they don't have funds to play soldier they cant just go around blowing up stuff when ever they want.
Thanks from Pilgrim and Toefoot
Sabcat is online now  
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:20 AM   #4
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 23,850
You would rather have the war against ISIS fought without Congressional authorization ? How can the Republicans whine about the president not being aggressive in fighting ISIS when their not even willing to stand up and take a vote of authorization that the president has asked for 18 months ago ? How can Republicans whine about the president overstepping his powers just to refuse to weigh in on matters as important as war and peace when the president has specifically asked for their guidance ?
Thanks from Clara007
Camelot is offline  
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:26 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Toefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: No Name City
Posts: 516
I get your frustration and share it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
eliminate the federal reserve bank and the income tax. out law the state taking out loans. make them beg the people for money for war. then who really gives a shit how they dress it up. if they don't have funds to play soldier they cant just go around blowing up stuff when ever they want.
Toefoot is offline  
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:28 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Toefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: No Name City
Posts: 516
Sure, that is what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
You would rather have the war against ISIS fought without Congressional authorization ? How can the Republicans whine about the president not being aggressive in fighting ISIS when their not even willing to stand up and take a vote of authorization that the president has asked for 18 months ago ? How can Republicans whine about the president overstepping his powers just to refuse to weigh in on matters as important as war and peace when the president has specifically asked for their guidance ?
Toefoot is offline  
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:29 AM   #7
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 23,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefoot View Post
Sure, that is what I said.
Then what would you like Congress to do ?
Camelot is offline  
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:34 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Toefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: No Name City
Posts: 516
Follow the constitution.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
Then what would you like Congress to do ?
Thanks from caconservative and Patriot66
Toefoot is offline  
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:47 AM   #9
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 23,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefoot View Post
Follow the constitution.
That was a total evasion. You started this thread. What do you want Congress to do with regards to our military engagement in Iraq and Syria ?
Camelot is offline  
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:52 AM   #10
TW
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 19,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
That was a total evasion. You started this thread. What do you want Congress to do with regards to our military engagement in Iraq and Syria ?
end all military operations no on US soil, including closing all foreign bases. bring every soldier home. if other nations want to pay our military to intervene then so be it, otherwise fuck em.
Thanks from Patriot66
Sabcat is online now  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
constitution, idiot, power, understand



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mike Huckabee does not understand the Constitution Nwolfe35 Politicians 21 May 25th, 2015 08:29 AM
Presidential Proclamation --- Constitution Day and Citizenship Day, Constitution Week The White House The White House 0 September 17th, 2014 06:21 AM
Presidential Proclamation -- Constitution Day, Citizenship Day, and Constitution Week The White House The White House 0 September 16th, 2013 01:11 PM
Power is in fascism. Absolute power is in free market fascism. dimaniac Political Talk 0 May 31st, 2013 12:04 PM
She Doesn't Understand The Constitution Yet.... Ray Kaye Gay and Lesbian Rights 8 August 28th, 2011 11:08 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.