Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Thanks Tree7Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2017, 01:26 PM   #1
Exposing Rightwing lies
 
GhostRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Anywhereiam, USA
Posts: 6,096
this belief could only come from a right winger.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a475eb33ca64

A true American can be of ANY religion or a non believer, religion has NOTHING to do with being American.
GhostRider is offline  
Old February 2nd, 2017, 01:46 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
About one-third of all Americans think that you have to be a Christian to truly be an American — despite the history of religious pluralism that dates back to the nation’s very earliest days.
Fake news and fake history.

Typical state constitution in the eighteenth and nineteenth century:
...nor shall any person, otherwise competent, be deemed incompetent as a witness, or juror, on account of his religious belief; provided, he believes in the existence of God, and that under His dispensation such person will be held morally accountable for his acts, and be rewarded or punished therefore either in this world or in the world to come.
No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state.
That the Christian religion is the true religion…That the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are of Divine inspiration, and are the rule of faith and practice… God’s grace out of the Holy Scriptures…eternal salvation… doctrine of Christ.
Etc. etc. etc.
Jimmyb is offline  
Old February 2nd, 2017, 01:54 PM   #3
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 27,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
Fake news and fake history.

Typical state constitution in the eighteenth and nineteenth century:
...nor shall any person, otherwise competent, be deemed incompetent as a witness, or juror, on account of his religious belief; provided, he believes in the existence of God, and that under His dispensation such person will be held morally accountable for his acts, and be rewarded or punished therefore either in this world or in the world to come.
No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state.
That the Christian religion is the true religion…That the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are of Divine inspiration, and are the rule of faith and practice… God’s grace out of the Holy Scriptures…eternal salvation… doctrine of Christ.
Etc. etc. etc.
That was true then just like owning slaves was OK then.
RNG is offline  
Old February 2nd, 2017, 02:02 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
That was true then just like owning slaves was OK then.
Is there a defense of the misrepresentations in the OP regarding American history in your post or anything relevent to the OP?
Thanks from caconservative and excalibur
Jimmyb is offline  
Old February 2nd, 2017, 02:18 PM   #5
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 27,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
Is there a defense of the misrepresentations in the OP regarding American history in your post or anything relevent to the OP?
The relevancy of religion to being a true American.
Thanks from GhostRider
RNG is offline  
Old February 2nd, 2017, 02:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
The relevancy of religion to being a true American.
Do you have any relevent historical evidence to the contrary?
Jimmyb is offline  
Old February 2nd, 2017, 02:57 PM   #7
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 27,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
Do you have any relevent historical evidence to the contrary?
At least we both agree is is historical. Jimmy, try living in the present once in a while. The 1700s and 1800s are not going to come back.
Thanks from Clara007 and GhostRider
RNG is offline  
Old February 2nd, 2017, 03:01 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Nwolfe35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 14,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
Fake news and fake history.

Typical state constitution in the eighteenth and nineteenth century:
...nor shall any person, otherwise competent, be deemed incompetent as a witness, or juror, on account of his religious belief; provided, he believes in the existence of God, and that under His dispensation such person will be held morally accountable for his acts, and be rewarded or punished therefore either in this world or in the world to come.
No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state.
That the Christian religion is the true religion…That the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are of Divine inspiration, and are the rule of faith and practice… God’s grace out of the Holy Scriptures…eternal salvation… doctrine of Christ.
Etc. etc. etc.
Which were later found to violate the US Constitution.

Care to tell us if any of the provisions are now enoforced? Do you think they could be enforced? Most importantly, do you think they should be enforced?
Thanks from GhostRider

Last edited by Nwolfe35; February 2nd, 2017 at 03:03 PM.
Nwolfe35 is offline  
Old February 2nd, 2017, 03:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
dusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: north east usa
Posts: 3,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
Do you have any relevent historical evidence to the contrary?
when somone pledges a oath he does so with his hand on the bible
and ends it with so help me god

in court you put your hand on the bible and swear to
tell the truth.

all our money hass (in god we trust) on it.
the constitution garentees freedom of religion. freedom of expression.

looks to me like America has everything to do wiith god
from day one
dusty is offline  
Old February 2nd, 2017, 03:03 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Jimmyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 38,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
At least we both agree is is historical. Jimmy, try living in the present once in a while. The 1700s and 1800s are not going to come back.
Quote:
About one-third of all Americans think that you have to be a Christian to truly be an American — despite the history of religious pluralism that dates back to the nation’s very earliest days.
Try reading the OP.
Jimmyb is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
belief, winger



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Right-winger Planned on Lynching Politicians Gordy Current Events 130 December 24th, 2015 01:59 PM
Belief-O-Matic Dude111 Religion 7 January 10th, 2015 10:18 AM
More Right Winger Lies: Ted Cruz: Democratic Senators Want to ‘Repeal the First Amend tristanrobin Politicians 13 May 26th, 2014 03:39 PM
Belief in Infallibility coberst Philosophy 1 October 9th, 2008 07:13 AM
Beyond Belief 2006 Katczinsky Religion 1 February 17th, 2007 12:31 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.