Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Thanks Tree38Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2017, 08:21 AM   #41
Banned
 
Daws77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: California
Posts: 7,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
The only problem with welfare for the poor, is more people learn to live on just enough to keep them on welfare, how is that good?
How is it bad ?
It appears to be a fine example to conditions.
Daws77 is offline  
Old March 16th, 2017, 08:25 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daws77 View Post
How is it bad ?
It appears to be a fine example to conditions.
We're done, you keep asking stupid arse questions. I refuse to continue feeding the troll monkey!
Sensible is offline  
Old March 16th, 2017, 08:41 AM   #43
Banned
 
Daws77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: California
Posts: 7,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
We're done, you keep asking stupid arse questions. I refuse to continue feeding the troll monkey!
Deflection!
Daws77 is offline  
Old March 16th, 2017, 01:06 PM   #44
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
The only problem with welfare for the poor, is more people learn to live on just enough to keep them on welfare, how is that good?
I have employed a number of people on government assistance. Many were limited to the number of hours that they could work and could not accept a raise. It was weird when I first encountered it.
Sabcat is offline  
Old March 16th, 2017, 01:14 PM   #45
Banned
 
Daws77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: California
Posts: 7,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
I have employed a number of people on government assistance. Many were limited to the number of hours that they could work and could not accept a raise. It was weird when I first encountered it.
would a raise have covered what government assistance did ?
If not , it makes no sense.
Daws77 is offline  
Old March 16th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #46
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daws77 View Post
would a raise have covered what government assistance did ?
If not , it makes no sense.
If their income exceeded X then they would loose assistance Y or it would be decreased. They had found a sweet spot and were encouraged to work. The raise or the extra hours would end up costing them money.

It was like when I was an hourly line cook in my early 20s if I got someplace around 12 hours of overtime or less it would cost me money as it would bump me up a tax bracket or some shit.
Thanks from Sensible

Last edited by Sabcat; March 17th, 2017 at 03:18 AM.
Sabcat is offline  
Old March 16th, 2017, 01:27 PM   #47
Banned
 
Daws77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: California
Posts: 7,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
If their incom exceeded X then they would loose assistance Y or it would be decreased. They had found a sweet spot and were encouraged to work. The raise or the extra hours would end up costing them money.

It was like when I was an hourly line cook in my early 20s if I got someplace around 12 hours of overtime or less it would cost me money as it would bump me up a tax bracket or some shit.
Thanks but you're singing to the choir and my wife works for DPSS.
Daws77 is offline  
Old March 16th, 2017, 01:29 PM   #48
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daws77 View Post
Thanks but you're singing to the choir and my wife works for DPSS.
I don't know what DPSS is but OK
Sabcat is offline  
Old March 16th, 2017, 02:41 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 8,411
The GOP plan includes a 30% penalty paid to the insurance company for a break in coverage.
This replaces the mandate penalty of ObamaCare.
And it's different enough to take the bill out of reconciliation, and make it subject to filibuster.
The bill has a snowball's chance in hell of passing.

That means back to the drawing board, to come up with the bill the GOP has claimed they have for the last seven years, the one that lowers premiums and covers everyone.

That bill would pass with bipartisan support.
goober is offline  
Old March 16th, 2017, 02:47 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
skews13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: nirvana
Posts: 8,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
The GOP plan includes a 30% penalty paid to the insurance company for a break in coverage.
This replaces the mandate penalty of ObamaCare.
And it's different enough to take the bill out of reconciliation, and make it subject to filibuster.
The bill has a snowball's chance in hell of passing.

That means back to the drawing board, to come up with the bill the GOP has claimed they have for the last seven years, the one that lowers premiums and covers everyone.

That bill would pass with bipartisan support.
But wait. There's more.

On MSNBCs MTP Daily host Chuck Todd caught Speaker of the House Paul Ryan misleading about the CBOs Obamacare numbers and the ACA being in a death spiral which are two of the reasons why Republicans claim that the Affordable Care Act must be replaced.

https://youtu.be/iAQTGz7LcYk

Speaker Ryan tried to claim that the CBO projected that 26 million people would be on Obamacare, but only 11 million people are buying from the exchanges.

Todd was prepared and said, Wait a minute. The CBOs 26 million included Medicaid expansion. Youre not including Medicaid expansion in your 11 million.

Rep. Ryan tried to claim that Obamacare is in a death spiral.

Todd responded, How do you say this is a death spiral if more people are signing up. Yes, premiums went up, but you still have Obamacare subsidies in there that has shielded many of these people from these premium hikes. Its not the definition of a death spiral where suddenly youre having premiums go up and no ones buying it.

Ryan answered that insurance company executives told him that not enough young people are buying it, and that there arent enough healthy people in the pool to subsidize the sick individuals.

Speaker Ryans answer wasnt based on data or studies but what insurance company executives told him, because obviously insurance companies would have no motive to get rid of Affordable Care Act regulations that dont allow them to discriminate against more expensive customers and mandate how much money they have to spend providing care to their enrollees.

Chuck Todd was correct on both counts. The CBOs numbers were fairly accurate, and Obamacare isnt in a death spiral.

If the CBO is right, and Trumpcare is going to cause 24 million people to lose their health care, and Obamacare isnt collapsing, the entire rationale for the Republicans health care bill is blown to bits.

Chuck Todd demonstrated what a good journalist could do when they come to an interview prepared with facts instead of sitting by and listening to talking points.
skews13 is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
$600, billion, cbo, cuts, million, rich, tax, uninsured



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Now that Austerity's tax cuts for the rich Mrs. CJ Parker Current Events 6 May 24th, 2013 06:12 PM
Vote Now On Ending Bush Tax Cuts For The Rich rumpelstiltskin Politicians 120 October 20th, 2010 10:53 AM
GOP: No more help for jobless, but rich must keep tax cuts intangible child Money and Finance 0 July 16th, 2010 01:50 PM
More tax cuts for the rich. Thanks Bush! hevusa Money and Finance 110 October 28th, 2008 01:42 AM
Tax Cuts For The Rich Help The Poor alias Money and Finance 86 November 26th, 2006 10:20 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.