Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Thanks Tree25Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2017, 03:29 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 10,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimov View Post
My church elders are considering dropping the name "Evangelical" altogether, thanks to characters like Fred Phelps and Jerry Falwell who have given the name "Evangelical" such a negative turn that nobody anymore, it seems, can even define accurately what it means. I read the posts on this forum, and they are 99% negative, while not one such person has accurately described what I or the leaders of my local church believe, how we regard others, or how we tend to vote.

It's very frustrating to try to explain what you believe, and have someone who doesn't know you from Adam tell you "no you don't, you believe..."
Alipes has been eagerly awaiting for your appearance because she wanted to know who are the intellectuals on this board. I told her that Asimov is a History Professor at a major university in Indiana who plays the French Horn.
Thanks from Alipes
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old April 16th, 2017, 04:34 PM   #12
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 26,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimov View Post
My church elders are considering dropping the name "Evangelical" altogether, thanks to characters like Fred Phelps and Jerry Falwell who have given the name "Evangelical" such a negative turn that nobody anymore, it seems, can even define accurately what it means. I read the posts on this forum, and they are 99% negative, while not one such person has accurately described what I or the leaders of my local church believe, how we regard others, or how we tend to vote.

It's very frustrating to try to explain what you believe, and have someone who doesn't know you from Adam tell you "no you don't, you believe..."
That's interesting. Many Christians of various stripes consistently do that to atheists too.
RNG is offline  
Old April 16th, 2017, 04:53 PM   #13
Banned
 
coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: nunya
Posts: 12,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimov View Post
My church elders are considering dropping the name "Evangelical" altogether, thanks to characters like Fred Phelps and Jerry Falwell who have given the name "Evangelical" such a negative turn that nobody anymore, it seems, can even define accurately what it means. I read the posts on this forum, and they are 99% negative, while not one such person has accurately described what I or the leaders of my local church believe, how we regard others, or how we tend to vote.

It's very frustrating to try to explain what you believe, and have someone who doesn't know you from Adam tell you "no you don't, you believe..."
In my case I have a religion assigned to me due to my political views.
coke is offline  
Old April 16th, 2017, 04:54 PM   #14
Banned
 
coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: nunya
Posts: 12,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
That's interesting. Many Christians of various stripes consistently do that to atheists too.
Do you have an example of that?
coke is offline  
Old April 16th, 2017, 05:11 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Bookworm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimov View Post
My church elders are considering dropping the name "Evangelical" altogether, thanks to characters like Fred Phelps and Jerry Falwell who have given the name "Evangelical" such a negative turn that nobody anymore, it seems, can even define accurately what it means.
I hadn't heard that. Where do you get this inside information from? I need to be in the loop here.
(note to others: Asimov and I attend the same church.)
Bookworm is offline  
Old April 16th, 2017, 06:49 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Asimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,819
So far it's just talk. I heard if from my spouse, who must have heard it from one of the other in-touch wives. We'll see if it goes anywhere.
Asimov is offline  
Old April 16th, 2017, 07:01 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Asimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by coke View Post
In my case I have a religion assigned to me due to my political views.
I guess I'm what some would call a "closet democrat." I voted twice for Obama, and then for Hillary. I'm pro-gay-marriage (for constitutional reasons) and I think the NC "Bathroom Bill" was a right-wing extremist blunder by fascist bullies hiding behind a poorly disguised mask of religious foolishness. But I still attend an "evangelical" Christian Church. Go figure.

Wow! Did I just sink to an uncharacteristic low?

I have religious beliefs assigned to me by people who don't know my political views, and sometimes political views assigned because of assumed beliefs. So I generally keep political views to myself around fellow Christians because I value relationships and community more than a divisive need to prove that I am right. Does that make me a coward, or just discreet?
Thanks from iolo
Asimov is offline  
Old April 16th, 2017, 07:05 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Asimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
That's interesting. Many Christians of various stripes consistently do that to atheists too.
Sadly, I have to agree with that. Perhaps it is human nature to prejudge people before we get to know them.
Asimov is offline  
Old April 16th, 2017, 07:08 PM   #19
Banned
 
coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: nunya
Posts: 12,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimov View Post
I guess I'm what some would call a "closet democrat." I voted twice for Obama, and then for Hillary. I'm pro-gay-marriage (for constitutional reasons) and I think the NC "Bathroom Bill" was a right-wing extremist blunder by fascist bullies hiding behind a poorly disguised mask of religious foolishness. But I still attend an "evangelical" Christian Church. Go figure.

Wow! Did I just sink to an uncharacteristic low?

I have religious beliefs assigned to me by people who don't know my political views, and sometimes political views assigned because of assumed beliefs. So I generally keep political views to myself around fellow Christians because I value relationships and community more than a divisive need to prove that I am right. Does that make me a coward, or just discreet?
I can think of no time that being discreet has ever been a wrong decision to make. I vote GOP normally but I do not agree with the state issuing permission slips to marry, at all. Could care less who you are sleeping with. Favor legalizing weed, against militarization of the police. Do not support PC policies of self gender identity though. I think its the lefts version of science denial like the right denying climate change.
coke is offline  
Old April 16th, 2017, 07:28 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Asimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by coke View Post
I can think of no time that being discreet has ever been a wrong decision to make. I vote GOP normally but I do not agree with the state issuing permission slips to marry, at all. Could care less who you are sleeping with. Favor legalizing weed, against militarization of the police. Do not support PC policies of self gender identity though. I think its the lefts version of science denial like the right denying climate change.
I grew up conservative and voted GOP my whole adult life. I once said that the last Democrat I supported was LBJ in 1964, but I was in the 3rd grade and didn't know better. THEN I attended law school and learned what the Constitution actually says. And when the Party went on the record as being openly anti-gay, I couldn't find any valid constitutional argument for denying a portion of U.S. citizens the equal protection of the law just because a different faction of the constituency disapproves of their choice of private domesticity. I have yet to hear a valid legal argument against allowing gay people to marry their live-in partners. So I dumped the GOP for now until the leadership shows some willingness to move closer to the center and be more compassionate and inclusive in their application of civil rights.

A few years ago my wife (hetero) and I were attending a church service (evangelical), and one of the leaders stood and invited the congregation to pull together in a rally to push for an anti-gay amendment to the State Constitution. I turned to my wife and said, "I'm not okay with this." And we left... permanently. We are much happier where we attend now.
Thanks from iolo, Polari, RNG and 1 others
Asimov is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
christian, grew



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are you a Christian? urbrother Christianity 4 December 15th, 2016 06:47 PM
Economy grew 2.6% in the fourth quarter ptif219 Current Events 13 January 31st, 2015 05:49 PM
U.S. Economy Grew At Brisk 4.2 Percent In Q2 LongWinded Current Events 23 October 11th, 2014 02:12 AM
Colonialisms, and sayings you grew up hearing. TNVolunteer73 Current Events 1 May 14th, 2014 03:56 PM
Small Businesses Grew Twice As Fast Under Clinton Tax Rates skews13 Current Events 2 November 11th, 2012 12:40 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.