Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Thanks Tree63Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2017, 07:56 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 54,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by justoneman View Post
Its right there in your quote of Rush. He is talking about fear and panic created about climate change "causing" hurricanes. You Lefties have an agenda and you are willing to lie and distort in order to achieve it.
In criticizing those who politicize weather, Rush has done exactly that. Here's some science he ignores:
Whether or not we see more tropical storms (a matter of continuing research by the scientific community), we know that the strongest storms are getting stronger, with roughly eight meters per second increase in wind speed per degree Celsius of warming. And so it is not likely to be a coincidence that almost all of the strongest hurricanes on record (as measured by sustained wind speeds) for the globe, the Northern Hemisphere, the Southern Hemisphere, the Pacific, and now, with Irma, in the open Atlantic, have occurred over the past two years. A stronger storm means not only more damaging winds, but a bigger storm surge as well, adding to the coastal flooding impact of sea level rise.

Furthermore, a warmer ocean surface means more moisture in the atmosphere. A fundamental rule of atmospheric thermodynamics known as the Clausius-Clapeyron equation indicates an increase of roughly 7 percent more moisture in the air for each degree Celsius of increase in sea surface temperature (SST). Global SSTs have risen now the better part of a degree C and conditions in which SSTs are several degrees C above normal are now more common as a result. Unusually warm SSTs contributed to the flooding power of both Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irene in 2011.

Other connections are more subtle. Part of what yielded the record flooding associated with Harvey and Irene was the slow-moving nature of the storms, which allowed for persistent rainfall over eastern Texas and New England respectively. The slow movement of these storms was favored by an expanded sub-tropical region of high pressure over the southern U.S. and a far northward-shifted jet stream, something that climate model simulations predict as a result of human-caused climate change. There is also some tentative evidence that the warming of the Arctic may favor the stalling of mid-latitude weather systems, though this is at the cutting edge of the science and still being studied.

The second approach to understanding the linkage between human activity and extreme weather involves a sort of climatological “CSI”—running simulations of a climate model both with and without the impact of human-generated greenhouse gas increases, seeking to detect a trend and attribute the event in question in part to those increases. As recently as a decade ago, climate scientists had a motto that “you can’t attribute any single extreme event to global warming.”

By the time politicians and journalists started repeating that line, however, the science had moved on, so that we now can attribute individual events in a probabilistic sense. For example, if a baseball player on steroids is hitting 20 percent more home runs, we can’t attribute a particular home run to steroids. But we can say steroids made it 20 percent more likely to have occurred. For some of the physical processes discussed here, one can view increasing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere as steroids for the storms.
More here: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ne-connection/
Thanks from tristanrobin, RNG and right to left
imaginethat is online now  
Old September 9th, 2017, 08:09 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
justoneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
And then he bagged his fat ass out of town......LOL....in fear......LOL
Of course all people should leave town when a hurricane is hitting your town. So what?
Thanks from Sabcat
justoneman is offline  
Old September 9th, 2017, 08:16 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
justoneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
In criticizing those who politicize weather, Rush has done exactly that. Here's some science he ignores:
Whether or not we see more tropical storms (a matter of continuing research by the scientific community), we know that the strongest storms are getting stronger, with roughly eight meters per second increase in wind speed per degree Celsius of warming. And so it is not likely to be a coincidence that almost all of the strongest hurricanes on record (as measured by sustained wind speeds) for the globe, the Northern Hemisphere, the Southern Hemisphere, the Pacific, and now, with Irma, in the open Atlantic, have occurred over the past two years. A stronger storm means not only more damaging winds, but a bigger storm surge as well, adding to the coastal flooding impact of sea level rise.

Furthermore, a warmer ocean surface means more moisture in the atmosphere. A fundamental rule of atmospheric thermodynamics known as the Clausius-Clapeyron equation indicates an increase of roughly 7 percent more moisture in the air for each degree Celsius of increase in sea surface temperature (SST). Global SSTs have risen now the better part of a degree C and conditions in which SSTs are several degrees C above normal are now more common as a result. Unusually warm SSTs contributed to the flooding power of both Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irene in 2011.

Other connections are more subtle. Part of what yielded the record flooding associated with Harvey and Irene was the slow-moving nature of the storms, which allowed for persistent rainfall over eastern Texas and New England respectively. The slow movement of these storms was favored by an expanded sub-tropical region of high pressure over the southern U.S. and a far northward-shifted jet stream, something that climate model simulations predict as a result of human-caused climate change. There is also some tentative evidence that the warming of the Arctic may favor the stalling of mid-latitude weather systems, though this is at the cutting edge of the science and still being studied.

The second approach to understanding the linkage between human activity and extreme weather involves a sort of climatological “CSI”—running simulations of a climate model both with and without the impact of human-generated greenhouse gas increases, seeking to detect a trend and attribute the event in question in part to those increases. As recently as a decade ago, climate scientists had a motto that “you can’t attribute any single extreme event to global warming.”

By the time politicians and journalists started repeating that line, however, the science had moved on, so that we now can attribute individual events in a probabilistic sense. For example, if a baseball player on steroids is hitting 20 percent more home runs, we can’t attribute a particular home run to steroids. But we can say steroids made it 20 percent more likely to have occurred. For some of the physical processes discussed here, one can view increasing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere as steroids for the storms.
More here: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ne-connection/
What is ignored is that the prediction that we were going to get way more hurricanes because of global warming and in fact we have not had a hurricane make landfall in the USA from 2008 till this year 2017. So 9 straight years of nothing. So obviously the prediction was bull shit.
Thanks from Sabcat and Jimgorn
justoneman is offline  
Old September 9th, 2017, 08:21 AM   #44
forgot my old user name
 
right to left's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
And then he bagged his fat ass out of town......LOL....in fear......LOL
I guess I'll check in on Monday or Tuesday at Counterspin or Media Matters (people who actually have to listen to him) to see if he's back to 'global warming is a government conspiracy'...assuming that the present track means minimal damage to the east coast of Florida.
Thanks from Camelot
right to left is offline  
Old September 9th, 2017, 08:29 AM   #45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: California
Posts: 117
Quote:
.."All you need is to create the fear and panic accompanied by talk that climate change is causing hurricanes to become more frequent and bigger and more dangerous, and you create the panic, and it’s mission accomplished, agenda advanced"..
Quote:
Originally Posted by justoneman View Post

Its right there in your quote of Rush. He is talking about fear and panic created about climate change "causing" hurricanes.
Nope! That is an insane distortion of his drivel. He is very definitely NOT "talking about fear and panic 'causing' hurricanes." Are you out of your mind or just terminally stupid?

Moreover, Rush is wrong about the scientific facts about the effect of human caused global warming on hurricanes. Current science predicts that the overall number of hurricanes of all categories will probably diminish or might stay about the same, while the numbers of the strongest, catagory 4 or 5, hurricanes and typhoons will probably increase in certain ocean basins. Meanwhile the higher sea surface temperatures and higher atmospheric water vapor levels created by global warming will produce stronger hurricanes with higher wind speeds which will also drop considerably more rain. Harvey and Irma are good example of these effects.

How Science Links Climate Change to Irma’s Fury: QuickTake Q&A







Quote:
Originally Posted by justoneman View Post
You Lefties have an agenda and you are willing to lie and distort in order to achieve it.
We "lefties" do indeed have an agenda....which is being sane, trusting sound science, caring about the welfare of this planet and the life on it, including all of the humans, and trying to leave an inhabitable world for our descendants. We have no need to "lie and distort" anything in our pursuit of that agenda. Unlike you science and reality denying rightwingnut loons who have to lie and distort science all the time to justify your brainwashed insanity and divorce from reality regarding human caused global warming (and a number of other issues).
Thanks from Camelot
Ahgho Boogheroff is offline  
Old September 9th, 2017, 08:43 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 21,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by justoneman View Post
Of course all people should leave town when a hurricane is hitting your town. So what?
But there was/is no hurricane. It's fake news by the leftists.
Thanks from Clara007
tristanrobin is offline  
Old September 9th, 2017, 08:44 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
Nwolfe35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 14,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by justoneman View Post
What is ignored is that the prediction that we were going to get way more hurricanes because of global warming and in fact we have not had a hurricane make landfall in the USA from 2008 till this year 2017. So 9 straight years of nothing. So obviously the prediction was bull shit.
You do realize that "the number of hurricanes" vs. "the number of hurricanes that make landfall in the US" are two DIFFERENT things.

The prediction of "the number of hurricanes" increasing has been correct. The average number of hurricanes by decade has been increasing since the 1900s

The has nothing to do with the number of hurricanes making landfall in the US.

The former is statistical evidence that global warming is real, the latter is just showing we've been lucky here in the US.
Thanks from RNG, Camelot and Clara007
Nwolfe35 is offline  
Old September 9th, 2017, 08:49 AM   #48
forgot my old user name
 
right to left's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,435
At the end of the hurricane season, we need a complete analysis of how much damage rightwing climate change-deniers have done by promoting a ramp-up in fossil fuel use and production, combined with slashing infrastructure funding, deregulation and cutting funding to FEMA and the EPA, which are needed to determine the extent of environmental damage and disaster preparedness...things that will become more and more expensive in the coming years as the planet heats up.

From what I've read so far, less than 20% of Houston residents had proper flood insurance. Most who were living in the flood zones* are left with houses that are a complete write-off and will not be able to afford to rebuild. They'll end up as disaster refugees similar to New Orleans residents who had to leave after Katrina. I'm just a little more hopeful that this story won't get buried as fast as Katrina because the disaster zones in Houston are more racially mixed/not solely black like New Orleans!

What climate-enhanced disasters represent more than anything else is the importance of a more equal and civil society with effective governments to provide needed services and pay for infrastructure maintenance and repairs...and let's not forget-pay for new infrastructure, since people have died and billions of dollars in damage have been done to Houston because...in spite of all the wealth created from allowing oil development, refining and chemical industries to flourish and create the most concentrated center of billionaires, Houston could not "afford" to spend approximately 1.2 billion for an adjustable seawall similar to what the Dutch have in the Netherlands. Texas and Florida should serve as the final nail in the coffin of supply side economic theory and the libertarian doctrine of eliminating government.

*most of the people living downstream from the Addicks and Barker reservoirs...cheap earthen reservoirs that came close to bursting and killing thousands!...were the poorest communities in the haphazard urban sprawl known as Houston, and afterwards, the government officials in charge decided to allow further flooding of those neighborhoods under the logic that they were already severely flooded...releasing pressure on the reservoirs was essential to protect undamaged and relatively undamaged neighborhoods. I'm wagering that once a full accounting is made, this was another money decision based on Who lives Where. The goal was to protect the assets of people who count and write off those who don't count!
Thanks from Camelot
right to left is offline  
Old September 9th, 2017, 09:27 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: California
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by justoneman View Post
What is ignored is that the prediction that we were going to get way more hurricanes because of global warming and in fact we have not had a hurricane make landfall in the USA from 2008 till this year 2017. So 9 straight years of nothing. So obviously the prediction was bull shit.
You swallowed the denier cult lies like a good little dupe. Too bad you are so ignorant and gullible.

The actual scientific prediction regarding the effect of human caused global warming on hurricanes is that there may be fewer hurricanes of all categories....but probably more very strong hurricanes in some places....coupled with an overall increase in hurricane intensity and in the amount of water these storms drop on the land areas where they strike.

Moreover, numbnuts, hurricanes that "make landfall in the USA" are only a fraction of the hurricane type storms that happen in many other parts of the world. Only your wacko rightwingnut jingoism makes you imagine that the only storms that count are the ones striking the USA.

Hurricanes and Typhoons
Ahgho Boogheroff is offline  
Old September 9th, 2017, 09:37 AM   #50
Senior Member
 
justoneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahgho Boogheroff View Post
You swallowed the denier cult lies like a good little dupe. Too bad you are so ignorant and gullible.

The actual scientific prediction regarding the effect of human caused global warming on hurricanes is that there may be fewer hurricanes of all categories....but probably more very strong hurricanes in some places.......[/URL][/size][/b]
Hahaha! move those goal posts yet again.
Thanks from Sabcat
justoneman is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
claims, flees, hoax, irma, limbaugh



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Irma Twisted Sister Current Events 60 September 9th, 2017 11:30 AM
Greenpeace Claims Immunity from Lawsuits Because Its Claims Are ‘Hyperbole’ excalibur Current Events 2 March 4th, 2017 09:43 PM
The 'gay gene' hoax. FOXNEWS Current Events 35 December 27th, 2013 04:57 PM
MSM Claims Military Revolt Against Obama a Hoax intangible child Current Events 0 September 3rd, 2013 07:09 AM
Rush Limbaugh Falls For Wikipedia Hoax About Judge Roger Vinson rumpelstiltskin Americas 0 September 19th, 2010 09:18 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.