Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Thanks Tree54Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #71
Senior Member
 
skews13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: nirvana
Posts: 8,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy39 View Post
Yeah, the fact that you in your opinion you decided that there anti-abortion flier could not be religious. That is opinion based. Furthermore there is no law that says you can deny someone a service or allow for it rather because of a religion they practice. Everything you said was predicated on the fact that the abortion flier, in your opinion, rather you stated it as or not was religious or not. Its like saying a thanksgiving dinner in the church basement is not a religious gathering, because thanksgiving is not in the bible. Have a nice day potato head.


Last edited by imaginethat; October 9th, 2017 at 05:55 PM.
skews13 is offline  
Old October 9th, 2017, 05:53 PM   #72
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 56,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy39 View Post
Yeah, the fact that you in your opinion you decided that there anti-abortion flier could not be religious. That is opinion based. Furthermore there is no law that says you can deny someone a service or allow for it rather because of a religion they practice. Everything you said was predicated on the fact that the abortion flier, in your opinion, rather you stated it as or not was religious or not. Its like saying a thanksgiving dinner in the church basement is not a religious gathering, because thanksgiving is not in the bible. Have a nice day potato head.
Is this "religious?"

Thanks from foundit66

Last edited by imaginethat; October 9th, 2017 at 05:56 PM.
imaginethat is offline  
Old October 9th, 2017, 07:43 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: in that one house at that location over there
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Is this "religious?"

Could be
Lets see here.
idolatrous. What does that mean?

Quote:
Definition of idolatrous
1 f or relating to idolatry
2 :having the character of idolatry

the religion of idolatrous nationalism —Aldous Huxley

3 :given to idolatry
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/idolatrous

Quote:
Definition of idolatry
plural idolatries
1 :the worship of a physical object as a god
2 :immoderate attachment or devotion to something
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/idolatry

So, then you say, well thats not religion because its sickening and disgusting. Blah blah blah
Thanks from Sabcat

Last edited by guy39; October 9th, 2017 at 07:47 PM.
guy39 is offline  
Old October 9th, 2017, 07:49 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: in that one house at that location over there
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Again with the pointless strawman arguments...
1) I never said "could not be religious".
2) I am saying this one is not Christian
3) Yet again, you refuse to even take up a position on that. Instead, you just attack me for making that assessment...

The funny thing is I could give you some precedent. Previous case examples where others tried to allege their "flier material" was protected by the first amendment when it was little more than an attack on gays.
And then they got shut down as well...




While we could spend a lot of meaningless time talking about laws that do not exist, I think it's better to talk about laws that DO exist and ARE RELEVANT to the case at hand.

For example, it is illegal for a public business to deny service to a customer based on the religion of that customer.
That is a law that exists.
These people were not denied service because they were Christian.

And STILL you refuse to even try to positively argue that was the case.



No. It's nothing like that.

Did you even bother to look at the flier I linked to?
Kindly explain what about the flier do you think makes it inherently Christian?
Ohh, wait so it has to be Christian. Wow your a bigot against other forms of religion? Or, you want to define Christianity for someone? Or, wait you want to be able to unilaterally decide what a religion is to someone. Got it.
guy39 is offline  
Old October 9th, 2017, 07:54 PM   #75
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 19,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
Yet the cake was repulsive to the bakers.
If cake is repulsive to them why in the hell did they open a bakery?
Hollywood is offline  
Old October 9th, 2017, 08:32 PM   #76
Spud
 
foundit66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy39 View Post
Could be
Lets see here.
idolatrous. What does that mean?
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/idolatrous
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/idolatry
So, then you say, well thats not religion because its sickening and disgusting. Blah blah blah
"could be" religious is your response.
Based on the fact that ONE WORD on the page has religious connotations?

Yet again, I challenge you.
PICK A SIDE AND DEFEND IT. Stop with this wishy-washy b.s. where you refuse to state whether YOU YOURSELF consider that flier to be Christian.

By your specious reasoning, I could put up offensive pictures of Trump having carnal relations with Pence. And as long as I did something specious like put "Malcolm X"'s name on the flier, that means the flier "could be" racially protected...


Quote:
Originally Posted by guy39 View Post
Ohh, wait so it has to be Christian. Wow your a bigot against other forms of religion? Or, you want to define Christianity for someone? Or, wait you want to be able to unilaterally decide what a religion is to someone. Got it.
You are just trying for everything but reading comprehension, aintcha...

You got nothing. Not even a pretense of a clue.
The people involved stated they were Christian.
THAT is why I specified "Christian".

I don't know if I have to spell this out for you, but if a Christian wants to claim (for example) an ISLAM religious connotation protection, that would fail because the Christian is not Muslim.

Last edited by foundit66; October 9th, 2017 at 08:34 PM.
foundit66 is offline  
Old October 9th, 2017, 08:51 PM   #77
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: in that one house at that location over there
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
"could be" religious is your response.
Based on the fact that ONE WORD on the page has religious connotations?

Yet again, I challenge you.
PICK A SIDE AND DEFEND IT. Stop with this wishy-washy b.s. where you refuse to state whether YOU YOURSELF consider that flier to be Christian.

By your specious reasoning, I could put up offensive pictures of Trump having carnal relations with Pence. And as long as I did something specious like put "Malcolm X"'s name on the flier, that means the flier "could be" racially protected...



You are just trying for everything but reading comprehension, aintcha...

You got nothing. Not even a pretense of a clue.
The people involved stated they were Christian.
THAT is why I specified "Christian".

I don't know if I have to spell this out for you, but if a Christian wants to claim (for example) an ISLAM religious connotation protection, that would fail because the Christian is not Muslim.
my point is this. Its not for you or me to decide. Furthermore I still do not think he should/could refuse service because of fliers they were handing out in public. Unless they displayed them in his coffee shop then he had a point. Its that simple.

"we dont serve ya kind here"
guy39 is offline  
Old October 9th, 2017, 09:02 PM   #78
Spud
 
foundit66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy39 View Post
my point is this. Its not for you or me to decide. Furthermore I still do not think he should/could refuse service because of fliers they were handing out in public. Unless they displayed them in his coffee shop then he had a point. Its that simple.
"we dont serve ya kind here"
Even now, you refuse to answer simple questions like whether or not you think the flier is or is not religious...


Regardless, why is the disgusting and insulting nature of the fliers ignored by you?
If Jon spent the last four hours putting up fliers showing Dave having a small penis and engaging in sodomy with Jesus, then Dave's Burgers should still serve Jon for lunch?


Do you renounce the right-wing mantra of shop-owners being able to decide who they want to deny service to?
foundit66 is offline  
Old October 9th, 2017, 09:05 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: in that one house at that location over there
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Even now, you refuse to answer simple questions like whether or not you think the flier is or is not religious...


Regardless, why is the disgusting and insulting nature of the fliers ignored by you?
If Jon spent the last four hours putting up fliers showing Dave having a small penis and engaging in sodomy with Jesus, then Dave's Burgers should still serve Jon for lunch?


Do you renounce the right-wing mantra of shop-owners being able to decide who they want to deny service to?
Because they was not distributing the flier in his shop. You get that? What part of that escapes you?

Yes, unless he put it up in Daves burgers. What part of this do you not understand. Fuck man, do you think we should be allowed to not serve people because of what they posted on Facebook yesterday? I mean if you do..then..hmmm, where do you stand on refusing to bake a cake to a gay couple?
Thanks from Sabcat
guy39 is offline  
Old October 9th, 2017, 09:13 PM   #80
Spud
 
foundit66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy39 View Post
Because they was not distributing the flier in his shop. You get that? What part of that escapes you?
That part is understood.
I'm showing you the absurdity of how limited your scope is.
And your frustration over that is a demonstration of your own cognitive dissonance of trying to pretend it all boils down to one factor...


Quote:
Originally Posted by guy39 View Post
Yes, unless he put it up in Daves burgers. What part of this do you not understand. Fuck man, do you think we should be allowed to not serve people because of what they posted on Facebook yesterday?
I hate to break it to you, but that's already how our society works.
It's entirely legal for Dave to decide not to serve Jon just based on what Jon posted to facebook.

Are you saying that Dave should not be free to refuse service to Jon for that reason?


Quote:
Originally Posted by guy39 View Post
I mean if you do..then..hmmm, where do you stand on refusing to bake a cake to a gay couple?
Apple?
Meet orange!

Here's the thing many right-wingers don't seem to grasp.
If you want to make it illegal to do something, you need to pass a law.
Back in 1964, the Civil Rights Act was passed. As part of it, it stated it was illegal for public business owners to discriminate on the basis of a very small list of characteristics including race, religion, gender, etc, etc.

People voted and add individual characteristics as time goes by, like adding sexual orientation.

Right-wingers seem to ignore this is what the laws actually say and want to generalize everything.
Possibly because details are hard?


So, regarding my personal opinion, gays have a history of being discriminated against and thus that's why a majority of society has approved adding sexual orientation to the list.

Other situations? If they aren't on the list ...
foundit66 is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
christians, coffee, gay, kicks, offensive, owner, rant, shop



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Karma kicks Trumpansy's ass GhostRider Americas 7 March 28th, 2017 01:11 AM
Jeb! kicks off campaign with Major lie goober Political Talk 30 June 24th, 2015 10:54 AM
Pizza Shop Bigots Give Hate Money To Flower shop Bigot skews13 Current Events 10 April 9th, 2015 06:03 AM
Coffee Joulies Your Coffee, Just Right RWE Science and Technology 2 April 29th, 2011 10:20 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.