Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Thanks Tree21Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2017, 03:45 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 22,470
Hillary Clinton tweets up a reminder of why more Americans chose her

This week, courtesy of Twitter, we were offered a glimpse of why more Americans chose Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump as the appropriate person to be president of the United States.

On Monday night, Clinton (whose margin, by the way, was 2.9 million votes) tweeted up a storm. “This hasn’t gotten enough attn,” she wrote in her opener . “For the first time, Congress missed the deadline to reauthorize the Children’s Health Insurance Program.”

It was the first of seven tweets in which she expressed a proper outrage over the failure of the House and Senate to renew a valuable piece of the government’s health-care safety net that provides insurance to some 9 million Americans under the age of 18.

The next morning, Trump issued a tweet of his own: “The Failing @nytimes set Liddle’ Bob Corker up by recording his conversation. Was made to sound a fool, and that’s what I am dealing with!”

Quite a contrast, don’t you think? On the one side is Clinton using the attention she commands on behalf of a group that enjoys little political influence or lobbying power. On the other is a self-involved bully who spends much of his time belittling those who dare oppose him. Clinton was fighting for children and teenagers. Trump was acting like one.

It’s true that about two hours before he sent out his missive attacking the Tennessee Republican senator who fears Trump might start World War III, the petulant president did post a tweet on health care: “Since Congress can’t get its act together on HealthCare, I will be using the power of the pen to give great HealthCare to many people — FAST.”

Naturally, Trump shucked off responsibility for not delivering on his promise to repeal Obamacare and replace it with “something great.” It’s all Congress’s fault.

As to substance, he was referring to an executive order that aides say he’ll issue this week to undo some of the Affordable Care Act’s regulations and permit the sale of cheap, skimpy, short-term insurance plans likely to appeal most to the healthiest people.

Trump’s move would undercut existing patient protections and likely further destabilize health-care markets he has already thrown into chaos with his stealthy efforts to sabotage Obamacare.

This week, the New York Times’s Robert Pear reported the administration’s 41 percent reduction in funds for the program that helps consumers pick plans through the ACA. The new Obamacare enrollment period begins on Nov. 1, and as Pear wrote, “The cuts come at a time of turmoil in insurance markets, when more consumers than ever may need help navigating the health care system.”

If the Clinton-Trump contrast highlights Trump’s pettiness, the striking difference in their approach to health care reminds us that the various circuses he is orchestrating — around Corker, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and kneeling at NFL games — are also distracting us from the profound day-to-day harm he and Congress are inflicting.

The two-decade-old Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) was a genuine bipartisan achievement, championed by Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah) and Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.). One reason its renewal has been stalled is House Republicans’ insistence on tying five more years of CHIP funding to cuts and tweaks in Medicaid, Medicare and the ACA.

As the fights over Obamacare have shown, many in the GOP seem willing to use any opportunity available to cut funding for health coverage. If you wonder why compromise is so hard to come by these days, notice that even long-standing cross-party efforts are encountering resistance and delays from the ideologues on the right.

In the meantime, Trump is doing all he can to reverse the victory of Obamacare supporters who saved the program this summer and again in the fall. Here again, bipartisanship is the loser. Polls show that Americans overwhelmingly favor making Obamacare better rather than repealing it. Democrats are game for this. But Trump still won’t go there, although he occasionally claims to be ready to work with “Chuck” — that would be Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) — on alternatives to scrapping the law.

In fact, Trump cares and thinks little about policy, and the big news this week may be that the Washington consensus is finally coming around to the obvious: that Trump is utterly unfit to be president, which is what a plurality of the voters thought in the first place. That’s all very nice, but he’s still there, and we can’t lose track of all the damage he can unleash.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...l_popns&wpmm=1
Thanks from Hollywood
tristanrobin is offline  
Old October 12th, 2017, 04:16 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin View Post
This week, courtesy of Twitter, we were offered a glimpse of why more Americans chose Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump as the appropriate person to be president of the United States.

On Monday night, Clinton (whose margin, by the way, was 2.9 million votes) tweeted up a storm. “This hasn’t gotten enough attn,” she wrote in her opener . “For the first time, Congress missed the deadline to reauthorize the Children’s Health Insurance Program.”

It was the first of seven tweets in which she expressed a proper outrage over the failure of the House and Senate to renew a valuable piece of the government’s health-care safety net that provides insurance to some 9 million Americans under the age of 18.

The next morning, Trump issued a tweet of his own: “The Failing @nytimes set Liddle’ Bob Corker up by recording his conversation. Was made to sound a fool, and that’s what I am dealing with!”

Quite a contrast, don’t you think? On the one side is Clinton using the attention she commands on behalf of a group that enjoys little political influence or lobbying power. On the other is a self-involved bully who spends much of his time belittling those who dare oppose him. Clinton was fighting for children and teenagers. Trump was acting like one.

It’s true that about two hours before he sent out his missive attacking the Tennessee Republican senator who fears Trump might start World War III, the petulant president did post a tweet on health care: “Since Congress can’t get its act together on HealthCare, I will be using the power of the pen to give great HealthCare to many people — FAST.”

Naturally, Trump shucked off responsibility for not delivering on his promise to repeal Obamacare and replace it with “something great.” It’s all Congress’s fault.

As to substance, he was referring to an executive order that aides say he’ll issue this week to undo some of the Affordable Care Act’s regulations and permit the sale of cheap, skimpy, short-term insurance plans likely to appeal most to the healthiest people.

Trump’s move would undercut existing patient protections and likely further destabilize health-care markets he has already thrown into chaos with his stealthy efforts to sabotage Obamacare.

This week, the New York Times’s Robert Pear reported the administration’s 41 percent reduction in funds for the program that helps consumers pick plans through the ACA. The new Obamacare enrollment period begins on Nov. 1, and as Pear wrote, “The cuts come at a time of turmoil in insurance markets, when more consumers than ever may need help navigating the health care system.”

If the Clinton-Trump contrast highlights Trump’s pettiness, the striking difference in their approach to health care reminds us that the various circuses he is orchestrating — around Corker, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and kneeling at NFL games — are also distracting us from the profound day-to-day harm he and Congress are inflicting.

The two-decade-old Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) was a genuine bipartisan achievement, championed by Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah) and Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.). One reason its renewal has been stalled is House Republicans’ insistence on tying five more years of CHIP funding to cuts and tweaks in Medicaid, Medicare and the ACA.

As the fights over Obamacare have shown, many in the GOP seem willing to use any opportunity available to cut funding for health coverage. If you wonder why compromise is so hard to come by these days, notice that even long-standing cross-party efforts are encountering resistance and delays from the ideologues on the right.

In the meantime, Trump is doing all he can to reverse the victory of Obamacare supporters who saved the program this summer and again in the fall. Here again, bipartisanship is the loser. Polls show that Americans overwhelmingly favor making Obamacare better rather than repealing it. Democrats are game for this. But Trump still won’t go there, although he occasionally claims to be ready to work with “Chuck” — that would be Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) — on alternatives to scrapping the law.

In fact, Trump cares and thinks little about policy, and the big news this week may be that the Washington consensus is finally coming around to the obvious: that Trump is utterly unfit to be president, which is what a plurality of the voters thought in the first place. That’s all very nice, but he’s still there, and we can’t lose track of all the damage he can unleash.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...l_popns&wpmm=1
I still pray every night, and thank God that she is not the President, we will see what she will do in 2020, I don't think she can stand not running, she still thinks the Presidency is owed to her, we will see, and I will keep praying, and thanking!
Thanks from webguy4
Sensible is offline  
Old October 12th, 2017, 05:34 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 22,470
I don't think she'll run.

She was not my first choice for President.

But, I definitely would have preferred her over the dotard-in-chief we have now.

I may not have completely trusted her - or agreed with every single policy issue - but, I wouldn't have been embarrassed to have her be the President of my country. I wouldn't cringe when I saw a news story about her. I would trust that she would do something positive for the nation. I would be completely confidant that she would comport herself like the leader of the free world.
Thanks from RNG, catus felis and Hollywood
tristanrobin is offline  
Old October 12th, 2017, 05:36 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
I still pray every night, and thank God that she is not the President, we will see what she will do in 2020, I don't think she can stand not running, she still thinks the Presidency is owed to her, we will see, and I will keep praying, and thanking!


Keep praying, but I don't think you have a thing to worry about. Hillary is done. I'm not saying she isn't going to be 'ever-present' but she can't run without endorsement/nomination, which she will never get again.

Ain't life grand??!!
Clara007 is offline  
Old October 12th, 2017, 07:31 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
Keep praying, but I don't think you have a thing to worry about. Hillary is done. I'm not saying she isn't going to be 'ever-present' but she can't run without endorsement/nomination, which she will never get again.

Ain't life grand??!!
If that is true it's good for now, I suppose they will trot out another unqualified Clinton, or Obama sooner than later.
Sensible is offline  
Old October 12th, 2017, 07:47 AM   #6
concerned citizen
 
titan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Adirondack Park, NY
Posts: 701
Candidate Trump reportedly obtained over a $Billion worth of free publicity via tweets.

But just earlier this month I read that former president Obama has more Twitter followers than Trump does.
titan is offline  
Old October 12th, 2017, 07:50 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 20,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
If that is true it's good for now, I suppose they will trot out another unqualified Clinton, or Obama sooner than later.
How would it be possible to find a candidate more unqualified than Trump was?
Thanks from catus felis and Clara007
Hollywood is offline  
Old October 12th, 2017, 07:58 AM   #8
concerned citizen
 
titan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Adirondack Park, NY
Posts: 701
Quote:
How would it be possible to find a candidate more unqualified than Trump was?
Visit a cemetery, or a zoo?
Thanks from Hollywood and Clara007
titan is offline  
Old October 12th, 2017, 08:47 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 22,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
Visit a cemetery, or a zoo?
... or my neighbor's vegetable garden
Thanks from Clara007
tristanrobin is offline  
Old October 12th, 2017, 09:34 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
How would it be possible to find a candidate more unqualified than Trump was?
Vote democrat!
Thanks from Hashtag
Sensible is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
americans, chose, clinton, hillary, reminder, tweets



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More Americans Wanted Hillary, Now They Want Hillary's Healthcare Plan skews13 Americas 1 July 18th, 2017 06:10 PM
Author links Hillary Clinton email scandal to Clinton Foundation kbear Current Events 27 July 5th, 2016 06:07 PM
Clinton’s problem isn’t Bernie Sanders. It’s Hillary Clinton Sabcat Politicians 3 May 14th, 2016 09:34 PM
Bill Clinton: 'Cover up' hiding Hillary Clinton's chances CNN Current Events 33 May 30th, 2008 01:33 PM
Clinton Ignored Terroism Against Americans alias Warfare 74 July 11th, 2006 07:39 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.