Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Thanks Tree11Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,515
Mass Shootings and mental illness

https://townhall.com/columnists/rach...y-ill-n1854591

Mass Shootings: Itís Time To Go Back To Institutionalizing The Severely Mentally Ill
Rachel Alexander
Rachel Alexander
|
Posted: Jun 23, 2014 12:01 AM
Mass Shootings: Itís Time To Go Back To Institutionalizing The Severely Mentally Ill
Trending

Ed Klein
McCabe v. Comey: Stabbed in the Back, An Excerpt from Ed Klein's Latest Book
Ben Shapiro
Get Ready for a Word Problem
Michelle Malkin
Allahu Akbar-itis: America's Deadly and Debilitating Disease

Sponsored
What is full coverage?

The left consistently blames guns for school shootings, while mostly ignoring the big elephant in the room: mental illness. Up until the 1960s, the severely mentally ill were locked up in psychiatric hospitals, for their own good and for the protection of society. The ACLU and the left changed that, by successfully suing to get them released out onto the streets. So now, they make up much of our homeless population. From there, many have predictably ended up in our prison system. The rate of mental illness in U.S. prisons is five times greater than in the regular population, and people with serious mental illness are three to four times more likely to be violent than others.

While access to guns has decreased, there is one common denominator that most, if not all, mass shooters reflects, which is mental illness. While some liberals are finally gingerly mentioning mental illness now, most liberals dare to state the obvious - the mass shooters should have been locked up when there were telltale signs. In 2005, Virginia Special Justice Paul Barnett wrote in an order that future Virginia Tech mass shooter Seung-Hui Cho "presented an imminent danger to himself as a result of mental illness," but instead of committing him to an institution - which would have also removed his ability to buy firearms for his future mass shooting - he only recommended outpatient treatment. The mother of Adam Lanza, the Sandy Creek Elementary School shooter, who was also one of the victims fatally shot by him, had been making plans to have him institutionalized. The mother of Elliot Rodger, the 22-year old who went on a shooting and knifing spree in Isla Vista, Calif., last month, called the police on her son prior to the shooting incident. While in college, he tried to push a girl off a ledge.
CARTOONS | Ken Catalino
View Cartoon

The father of Jared Loughner- who seriously injured Congresswoman Gabby Giffords and fatally shot others in Tucson - used to disable his sonís car every night in order to stop him from leaving the house, confiscated his shotgun, and urged him to get help for his erratic and drug-addicted behavior. Lanza was heavily addicted to violent video games, and apparently refused to talk to anyone, including his dad and brother. He would communicate with his mother, whom he lived with, only over email. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, who shot fellow students at Columbine High School in 1999, were both addicted to violent video games and discussed building explosives on their blog.

Many of these mass killers were no longer children. While many parents are conflicted about locking up their minor children; once those children become adults at around age 18 or so, parents need to take the tough love steps to have them committed if they believe they are a danger to society.

Loughner was 23 when he shot Congresswoman Giffords and others in Tucson. Adam Lanza was 20 when he shot students and teachers at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. Seung-Hui Cho was 23 when he killed 32 people and wounded 17 others at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Elliot Rodger was 22 when he went on his killing spree in California last month.

Sadly, society has swung back so far from committing the mentally ill, that parents are given mixed signals about what to do with disturbed children. No one wants to offend parents, or mistakenly commit children who may have less severe problems - a legitimate concern - so the medical community errs on the side of not committing the seriously crazy to mental institutions.

A generic prohibition on blocking all ďmentally illĒ - a very broad term which could be used to hurt the innocent - from buying firearms will not fix the problem. Statistics from Colorado reveal that doing this in recent years has had only a negligible effect on violent crime. ďAdding the mental health records [to the background check system] only prevented an estimated 14 violent crimes a year, or less than one half of one percent of the stateís overall violent crime.Ē

In order to fix this, arenít there common denominators we all can agree upon when someone should be institutionalized? Who would not agree, looking back at the revealing early signs from most of these mass killers, is that most, if not all of these egregious examples, should have been institutionalized?

Gun laws are ignored by criminals, so increasing the number and severity of gun laws wonít solve the problem either. Many of the killers obtained their weapons illegally. Harris and Klebold had an 18-year-old friend purchase firearms for them. Lanza stole his motherís firearms. Many of the guns used by the mass shooters were pistols or shotguns - yet the gun control crowd always clamors to restrict AR-15s or ďassault weapons,Ē not pistols. Rodger used a knife to stab his three roommates to death.

Mass shootings today come down to a gradual deterioration in societal values, bullying innocent kids, lazy parenting, mainly due to the incredible demands today. Children are bombarded with increasing violence in video games, movies and TV shows glorifying gun violence. Their brains are at a developmental stage that is at a highly influenceable stage as teenagers. Unless parents take responsibility and limit exposure to this violent media, there is a risk that the least unstable children among us will be wrongly influenced by this garbage.

Once parents start seeing signs that they have children who are extremely mentally unstable, they need to take steps to fix the problem. And the system should support them, not negatively influence them. This isnít going to be popular to say, but the laws must be changed to make it easier to lock people up - even against their will.
Sensible is offline  
Old November 1st, 2017, 10:30 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 22,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
https://townhall.com/columnists/rach...y-ill-n1854591

Mass Shootings: Itís Time To Go Back To Institutionalizing The Severely Mentally Ill
Rachel Alexander
Rachel Alexander
|
Posted: Jun 23, 2014 12:01 AM
Mass Shootings: Itís Time To Go Back To Institutionalizing The Severely Mentally Ill
Trending

Ed Klein
McCabe v. Comey: Stabbed in the Back, An Excerpt from Ed Klein's Latest Book
Ben Shapiro
Get Ready for a Word Problem
Michelle Malkin
Allahu Akbar-itis: America's Deadly and Debilitating Disease

Sponsored
What is full coverage?

The left consistently blames guns for school shootings, while mostly ignoring the big elephant in the room: mental illness. Up until the 1960s, the severely mentally ill were locked up in psychiatric hospitals, for their own good and for the protection of society. The ACLU and the left changed that, by successfully suing to get them released out onto the streets. So now, they make up much of our homeless population. From there, many have predictably ended up in our prison system. The rate of mental illness in U.S. prisons is five times greater than in the regular population, and people with serious mental illness are three to four times more likely to be violent than others.

While access to guns has decreased, there is one common denominator that most, if not all, mass shooters reflects, which is mental illness. While some liberals are finally gingerly mentioning mental illness now, most liberals dare to state the obvious - the mass shooters should have been locked up when there were telltale signs. In 2005, Virginia Special Justice Paul Barnett wrote in an order that future Virginia Tech mass shooter Seung-Hui Cho "presented an imminent danger to himself as a result of mental illness," but instead of committing him to an institution - which would have also removed his ability to buy firearms for his future mass shooting - he only recommended outpatient treatment. The mother of Adam Lanza, the Sandy Creek Elementary School shooter, who was also one of the victims fatally shot by him, had been making plans to have him institutionalized. The mother of Elliot Rodger, the 22-year old who went on a shooting and knifing spree in Isla Vista, Calif., last month, called the police on her son prior to the shooting incident. While in college, he tried to push a girl off a ledge.
CARTOONS | Ken Catalino
View Cartoon

The father of Jared Loughner- who seriously injured Congresswoman Gabby Giffords and fatally shot others in Tucson - used to disable his sonís car every night in order to stop him from leaving the house, confiscated his shotgun, and urged him to get help for his erratic and drug-addicted behavior. Lanza was heavily addicted to violent video games, and apparently refused to talk to anyone, including his dad and brother. He would communicate with his mother, whom he lived with, only over email. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, who shot fellow students at Columbine High School in 1999, were both addicted to violent video games and discussed building explosives on their blog.

Many of these mass killers were no longer children. While many parents are conflicted about locking up their minor children; once those children become adults at around age 18 or so, parents need to take the tough love steps to have them committed if they believe they are a danger to society.

Loughner was 23 when he shot Congresswoman Giffords and others in Tucson. Adam Lanza was 20 when he shot students and teachers at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. Seung-Hui Cho was 23 when he killed 32 people and wounded 17 others at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Elliot Rodger was 22 when he went on his killing spree in California last month.

Sadly, society has swung back so far from committing the mentally ill, that parents are given mixed signals about what to do with disturbed children. No one wants to offend parents, or mistakenly commit children who may have less severe problems - a legitimate concern - so the medical community errs on the side of not committing the seriously crazy to mental institutions.

A generic prohibition on blocking all ďmentally illĒ - a very broad term which could be used to hurt the innocent - from buying firearms will not fix the problem. Statistics from Colorado reveal that doing this in recent years has had only a negligible effect on violent crime. ďAdding the mental health records [to the background check system] only prevented an estimated 14 violent crimes a year, or less than one half of one percent of the stateís overall violent crime.Ē

In order to fix this, arenít there common denominators we all can agree upon when someone should be institutionalized? Who would not agree, looking back at the revealing early signs from most of these mass killers, is that most, if not all of these egregious examples, should have been institutionalized?

Gun laws are ignored by criminals, so increasing the number and severity of gun laws wonít solve the problem either. Many of the killers obtained their weapons illegally. Harris and Klebold had an 18-year-old friend purchase firearms for them. Lanza stole his motherís firearms. Many of the guns used by the mass shooters were pistols or shotguns - yet the gun control crowd always clamors to restrict AR-15s or ďassault weapons,Ē not pistols. Rodger used a knife to stab his three roommates to death.

Mass shootings today come down to a gradual deterioration in societal values, bullying innocent kids, lazy parenting, mainly due to the incredible demands today. Children are bombarded with increasing violence in video games, movies and TV shows glorifying gun violence. Their brains are at a developmental stage that is at a highly influenceable stage as teenagers. Unless parents take responsibility and limit exposure to this violent media, there is a risk that the least unstable children among us will be wrongly influenced by this garbage.

Once parents start seeing signs that they have children who are extremely mentally unstable, they need to take steps to fix the problem. And the system should support them, not negatively influence them. This isnít going to be popular to say, but the laws must be changed to make it easier to lock people up - even against their will.
How would you suggest funding this program?
Thanks from catus felis and Clara007
Hollywood is offline  
Old November 1st, 2017, 10:38 AM   #3
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
How would you suggest funding this program?
Insurance? Do you have a better idea, should we just leave them to destruction of themselves, and others?
Sensible is offline  
Old November 1st, 2017, 10:52 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 22,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
Insurance? Do you have a better idea, should we just leave them to destruction of themselves, and others?
Insurance exists now. I'm simply trying to understand how "your" program would work, that's all. I guess we would have to require insurance companies to cover long-term in house mental health treatment. What would we do about the people that could not afford the insurance premiums, Medicare, Medicaid? Subsides of some sort to pay for the insurance?
Hollywood is offline  
Old November 1st, 2017, 11:23 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
BubbaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 7,562
Sorry you don't get to lay it all on those "damned liberals". Your hero Reagan played a pretty major roll both in California where it all started and later as president. Some of his most active supporters and campaign people were OWNERS of a chain of nursing homes which is where many of the mentally ill were transferred. The Republicans have for years been pushing "privatization" and the mental wards were an easy target. Emptying the state hospitals and transferring those patients to less secure and sometimes unsecured groups homes, owned and operated by for profit businesses. They went from lousy state run hospitals to ever worse run private homes. One of Reagans early acts was to kill off Carters mental health plan for the chronically mentally ill.

There's plenty of blame to go around. Just don't skim over the role supposed conservatives played in this travesty.

Other that this I agree with this article. We need easy and ready access to mental health services. And we need a way to lock away the chronic mentally ill. And we certainly need parents to reengage !!
BubbaJones is offline  
Old November 1st, 2017, 11:52 AM   #6
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaJones View Post
Sorry you don't get to lay it all on those "damned liberals". Your hero Reagan played a pretty major roll both in California where it all started and later as president. Some of his most active supporters and campaign people were OWNERS of a chain of nursing homes which is where many of the mentally ill were transferred. The Republicans have for years been pushing "privatization" and the mental wards were an easy target. Emptying the state hospitals and transferring those patients to less secure and sometimes unsecured groups homes, owned and operated by for profit businesses. They went from lousy state run hospitals to ever worse run private homes. One of Reagans early acts was to kill off Carters mental health plan for the chronically mentally ill.

There's plenty of blame to go around. Just don't skim over the role supposed conservatives played in this travesty.

Other that this I agree with this article. We need easy and ready access to mental health services. And we need a way to lock away the chronic mentally ill. And we certainly need parents to reengage !!
Well I wasn't actually taking sides, but it is a problem and is partly to blame on the mass shootings. It does mention the ACLU and the left but I have also read about what part Reagan played
Sensible is offline  
Old November 1st, 2017, 01:59 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 11,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
Insurance? Do you have a better idea, should we just leave them to destruction of themselves, and others?
Mental hospitals were state hospitals, because we live in a country that expects people to get their insurance from their employer, full time residents of state hospitals don't have insurance, and since the mentally ill are more likely to be unemployed, they are far more likely to be uninsured.
The massive release of mental patients, was supposed to be followed by massive public spending on community based facilities, that never happened, which is how we converted our institutionalized population into our homeless population.

And are you going to put people in institutions for playing video games?
goober is offline  
Old November 2nd, 2017, 03:28 AM   #8
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Mental hospitals were state hospitals, because we live in a country that expects people to get their insurance from their employer, full time residents of state hospitals don't have insurance, and since the mentally ill are more likely to be unemployed, they are far more likely to be uninsured.
The massive release of mental patients, was supposed to be followed by massive public spending on community based facilities, that never happened, which is how we converted our institutionalized population into our homeless population.

And are you going to put people in institutions for playing video games?
Yeah, they failed to follow up on the whole community based facilities thing thing, video games have nothing to do with this discussion. We are talking about the mentally diseased.
Sensible is offline  
Old November 2nd, 2017, 03:47 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 11,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
Yeah, they failed to follow up on the whole community based facilities thing thing, video games have nothing to do with this discussion. We are talking about the mentally diseased.
Yet the OP seemed to equate video games with mental illness

Quote:
... Lanza was heavily addicted to violent video games, and apparently refused to talk to anyone, including his dad and brother. He would communicate with his mother, whom he lived with, only over email. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, who shot fellow students at Columbine High School in 1999, were both addicted to violent video games and discussed building explosives on their blog.
So how are you going to pay for institutionalizing these people?
Are you willing to pay higher taxes to humanely house and care for this population? Sufficient to provide them with something better than the "Titicut Follies" experience? Zipporah Films Titicut Follies
goober is offline  
Old November 2nd, 2017, 04:54 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 10,616
Ignoring mental illness?? That's absurd. After every single shooting the media, the FBI, the city and state DELVE deeply into the shooter's motivations--mental health--family background---social media--and criminal (or lack or) history. No one is ignoring mental illness, but....1 in 5 people in this country will experience some form of mental illness in any given year, other research has found that fewer than 3 to 5 percent of crimes in the United States involve someone with a diagnosable mental illness. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, fewer than 5 percent of the 120,000 gun-related killings in the United States between 2001 and 2010 were perpetrated by someone diagnosed with a mental illness.
The RW continues to blame gun violence on anything OTHER than the over 300 million guns owned by Americans and the ease of buying a gun. All we hear is 2nd Amendment!! 2nd Amendment RIGHTS!! Obama is coming for your guns! No restrictions allowed.

How typical of Townhall and Conservatives to blame the mentally ill when the real conversation should center on how sick you have to be to want dozens of military-type weapons in your home. There are now more guns than PEOPLE in this country.....and apparently THAT'S a good thing?? So it's not surprising that the mentally ill can get their hands on just about anything they want and then USE it for mass murder.

There is definitely a mental illness problem in this country but so far no one has come up with a solution. Adults cannot be forced to take their lithium. Parents can't control an out-of-control psychopath....and as long as we're talking about it, Hollywood brings up a brilliant point. There's no way in hell that the GOP congress is going to fund a health program for the mentally ill. They don't even want to take care of the hungry children in this country. Jerks.

Last edited by Clara007; November 2nd, 2017 at 07:16 AM.
Clara007 is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
illness, mass, mental, shootings



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Problem With Mental Illness. analyzer Healthcare 6 June 13th, 2017 07:36 PM
Mental Illness; Driven By Prosperity Medicine Man Current Events 3 August 25th, 2014 11:08 AM
What kind of mental illness .... tristanrobin Gay and Lesbian Rights 207 May 26th, 2014 11:46 PM
Homosexuality is a mental illness Brit Dems Gay and Lesbian Rights 10 May 12th, 2013 12:04 PM
What Definition of Mental Illness Do the Gun Grabbers Want To Use excalibur Current Events 72 April 16th, 2013 07:32 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.