Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Thanks Tree56Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #61
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 20,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgorn View Post
Fail......There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me because they want to give something back. They know they didn't look, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen.
The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don't do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.


That was too easy.....
For God's sake, read post #54.
Hollywood is offline  
Old December 6th, 2017, 02:34 PM   #62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.,USA
Posts: 7,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
For God's sake, read post #54.
You asked a question,....I answered it...The whole speech was just an arrogant defense of big government, but, right there is the part I disagree with the most....

Now answer my question....Why does the left think it is alright to be offended by everything all the time, but think those of us on the right should not be offended by arrogant condescending remarks like this....??
Jimgorn is offline  
Old December 6th, 2017, 02:38 PM   #63
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 20,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgorn View Post
You asked a question,....I answered it...The whole speech was just an arrogant defense of big government, but, right there is the part I disagree with the most....

Now answer my question....Why does the left think it is alright to be offended by everything all the time, but think those of us on the right should not be offended by arrogant condescending remarks like this....??
Your mind is made up on the matter. Logic, reason and apparently even reading comprehension do not enter into it.
Good day to you. I'll not participate in your nonsense.
Hollywood is offline  
Old December 6th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #64
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.,USA
Posts: 7,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Your mind is made up on the matter. Logic, reason and apparently even reading comprehension do not enter into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Good day to you. I'll not participate in your nonsense.
Can't answer the question, can you??...Because it would have to be civil, instead you divert with insults...<see highlites>...then you wonder why I dish it out.....Goodnight to you too
Thanks from Sabcat
Jimgorn is offline  
Old December 6th, 2017, 02:57 PM   #65
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 20,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgorn View Post
Can't answer the question, can you??...Because it would have to be civil, instead you divert with insults...<see highlites>...then you wonder why I dish it out.....Goodnight to you too
You have my response. You'll just have to live with it.
Hollywood is offline  
Old December 6th, 2017, 03:54 PM   #66
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgorn View Post
Of course I did not pay for things 50, 60 or 100 years ago....But my predecessors did...just as I am paying, right now, for your grandchildren's (I have none) infrastructure.....

This whole argument gets right to the core of the ideology of the right vs the left....You and your tribe (headed by Obama)....believe that government is Omnipotent....That there is some sort of Uncle Sammy sitting in D.C., or some state capital, or county seat that dispenses good will on the grateful citizens...That all wealth belongs to the Government and it dispenses it to the citizens as they need it...Nothing could get done if it were not for the benevolence of the Government......

And my side says BULLSHIT!!.. ..Because my side (including the framer's of the Constitution) believes that the Government's (federal, state or local) roll is to serve the people....That government is necessary but, inherently evil... Very similar to fire....You need fire to heat your house, but without strict diligence that same fire can burn your house down....

It is the same with Government... It's primary reason is to provide protection from outside forces interfering with the entrepreneur (which the entrepreneur pays for in taxes)...But, it can very easily become a liability with excessive taxes and regulations...So, Obama's July 2012 diatribe puts government (including public education) up as the foundation of entrepreneurship....and all entrepreneurs are equal.... And owe the government some sort of thanks.....BULLfuckingSHIT!!!



NO! I (and millions like me) do not think the government is omnipotent--of course it isn't. As I said before, the government is NOT the be all and end all of anything. The preamble to the constitution states very clearly the purpose of the federal government....establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare....but your anger at a mere speech is way over the top, my friend and Obama's speech wasn't aimed at YOU. It wasn't meant to be insulting or demeaning OR to imply that people like YOU didn't work hard.
The speech was summed up in these words: "The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

The speech was a pep talk--a reminder that we depend on each other--that 'we the people' are a team. When disaster strikes, we come together. We support each other. When one community succeeds, we all succeed because we never know when OUR community will experience devastation. Obama gave the example of fighting fires. Our government provides us with "common defense" which supports domestic tranquility.

One thing I know for sure, Jim. You are NOT very tranquil. Chill out.
Thanks from imaginethat
Clara007 is offline  
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:07 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.,USA
Posts: 7,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
NO! I (and millions like me) do not think the government is omnipotent--of course it isn't. As I said before, the government is NOT the be all and end all of anything. The preamble to the constitution states very clearly the purpose of the federal government....establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare....but your anger at a mere speech is way over the top, my friend and Obama's speech wasn't aimed at YOU. It wasn't meant to be insulting or demeaning OR to imply that people like YOU didn't work hard.
The speech was summed up in these words: "The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

The speech was a pep talk--a reminder that we depend on each other--that 'we the people' are a team. When disaster strikes, we come together. We support each other. When one community succeeds, we all succeed because we never know when OUR community will experience devastation. Obama gave the example of fighting fires. Our government provides us with "common defense" which supports domestic tranquility.

One thing I know for sure, Jim. You are NOT very tranquil. Chill out.
This speech was an insight into the mind of the Obama...You read it your way and I'll read it mine..... I have many friends who are small businessmen and they agree with my opinion...

Now, back to my tranquility....trust me I am quite calm.....I am merely asking why it is OK for the media to become outraged because they misread something like Trump's comments on the rioters at Charlottsville VA..(as a precursor to Trump's insanity)....Yet it is wrong for the right to see a Socialist tint to what Obama says..??
Thanks from Sabcat
Jimgorn is offline  
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:52 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: California
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgorn View Post
This speech was an insight into the mind of the Obama...
Something you will unfortunately never be able to comprehend because he is quite intelligent and you are a very brainwashed and very braindead moron.

'Some have questioned the mental ability' of ol' Gormless. For good reason too!

Some excerpts from the FactCheck.org article - ‘You Didn’t Build That,’ Uncut and Unedited

"President Obama spoke of government — including government-funded education, infrastructure and research — assisting businesses to make what he called “this unbelievable American system that we have.”
In summary, he said: “The point is … that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.”

In Context
Obama made his remarks at a July 13 campaign appearance in Virginia. The president was speaking against Romney’s proposal to retain the Bush-era tax cuts and cut federal tax rates an additional 20 percent across the board for all taxpayers.

Here’s what he said:
Obama, July 13: There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me — because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t — look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for President — because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together.
Obama’s comments were not entirely new. The president frequently speaks about the role of government in a free-market society, as he did in his 2011 State of the Union address:
Obama, Jan. 25, 2011: Our free enterprise system is what drives innovation. But because it’s not always profitable for companies to invest in basic research, throughout our history, our government has provided cutting-edge scientists and inventors with the support that they need. That’s what planted the seeds for the Internet. That’s what helped make possible things like computer chips and GPS. Just think of all the good jobs — from manufacturing to retail — that have come from these breakthroughs.
Certainly, Obama’s latest comments invite a debate not only over the role of government, but how much responsibility the private sector has to help fund it. That debate, however, can occur only when the president’s remarks are viewed in context.








Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgorn View Post
You read it your way....
....the way it was obviously intended....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgorn View Post
....and I'll read it...
...the way your propaganda pushing puppet-masters jammed into your gullible little brain.....



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgorn View Post
I have many friends who are small businessmen and they agree with my opinion...
Wonder why?

(From the FactCheck.org article cited above)

Out of Context
American Crossroads, the conservative group founded with the help of Karl Rove, posted a Web video July 20 that features the president’s comments. Twice, Obama is shown saying: “If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

Small-business owners responded to the president’s remarks with outrage. “What an insult,” says one.

The video does not include any other remarks from the president’s speech, including the five sentences preceding his remarks when he says: “If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges.

Three days earlier, the Romney campaign posted a 15-second video that shows the president saying over and over, “If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that.” Five times, in all.

On the website — and in a follow-up fundraising appeal — the Romney campaign says the president’s words are “a slap in the face to the American Dream.” Neither the video nor the fundraising email provided anything more than that single sentence from the president’s speech.

In the latest and most expansive use of the president’s words, the campaign of Sen. Scott Brown of Massachusetts posted a video July 23 that shows past presidents — including John F. Kennedy and Ronald Reagan — speaking about the power of free enterprise. It then shows selectively edited clips of Obama.

In the two-and-a-half-minute video, Obama is shown saying: “If you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart.” And, then, he says: “If you got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.” Everything the president said in between those two quotes — and before and after them — was left out.
Thanks from Hollywood
Ahgho Boogheroff is offline  
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:00 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 56,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgorn View Post
Explain to me how it is wrong for me to take offense with what Obama said about the creation and running of a business....And somehow it is alright for the media (and by extension the anti-Trumpets) to take offense and accuse Trump for aligning with White Supremacists because he said there were people looking to start trouble within the protesters at Charlottsville VA.?? (he was referring to ANTIFA)

Why is it that only your side seems to have the right to be offended..??

Can you do that civilly and not resort to insult....?? Hollywood you too....
How many times is it going to take to show you that your interpretation of what Obama said is wrong?

Earlier I noted, government provides infrastructure. You said bullshit, I pay taxes for roads, etc. OK. How many inches of the nearby interstate highway did your taxes finance?

Henceforth, in running your business you are limited to driving on the inches your taxes paid for.

That's the way this "I'm an island," Ayn Randian, "I don't need nobody," faux anarchist political drama that you've signed onto ought to work, to hold true to the drama you've chosen.

Obama was talking about working together, and the many good things we enjoy that are the product of working together. Of course, to a "I'm an island," Ayn Randian, "I don't need nobody," faux anarchist that equals socialism/communism.
Thanks from Camelot, Hollywood and Clara007
imaginethat is offline  
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:03 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 56,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgorn View Post
Fail......There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me because they want to give something back. They know they didn't look, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen.
The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don't do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.


That was too easy.....
Yeah and you still quote out of context so you can miss the point.

One more time:
If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.
I'm positive you won't get it .....again.
Thanks from Hollywood
imaginethat is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
ability, mental, questined, questioned



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poverty can sap people's ability to think clearly work in progress Social Issues 3 September 1st, 2013 06:13 PM
Why Was Hillary Barely Questioned? excalibur Current Events 1 May 12th, 2013 02:53 PM
Rep. Giffords Regains Ability To Speak npr Current Events 6 February 15th, 2011 06:31 AM
Enquiry Demands the Ability to Formulate Questions coberst Philosophy 0 September 22nd, 2008 12:42 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.