Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Thanks Tree21Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7th, 2017, 07:30 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Quigley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 1,631
Pope wants to change ‘Lord’s Prayer’ as it implies God ‘induces temptation’

POPE Francis has called for the Lord’s prayer to be changed – arguing that the translation used by many parts of the world goes against the teachings of the Bible.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...n-Christianity

OOOPPPSSS, did I say heretical?
Thanks from Twisted Sister
Quigley is offline  
Old December 7th, 2017, 07:42 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 9,551
Ooooh,. Magic words, gotta get the magic words right or it won't work
goober is online now  
Old December 7th, 2017, 07:49 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Quigley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 1,631
So much hatred, that stuff will eat you up inside kid.
Thanks from Sensible
Quigley is offline  
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:08 AM   #4
Quid est veritas?
 
Peter the Roman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The heart of darkness
Posts: 227
I mean, he isn't wrong. "lead us not into temptation..." implies that God could lead us into temptation to evil, which is impossible considering God is the antithesis of evil. A better translation IMO would be "lead us away from temptation, and deliver us from evil."
Thanks from imaginethat
Peter the Roman is offline  
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:39 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Roman View Post
I mean, he isn't wrong. "lead us not into temptation..." implies that God could lead us into temptation to evil, which is impossible considering God is the antithesis of evil. A better translation IMO would be "lead us away from temptation, and deliver us from evil."
The inclusion of a request for God not to lead us into temptation teaches us that avoiding temptation should be one of the primary concerns of the Christian life.
Sensible is offline  
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:40 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,877
The scripture being talked about is not the Prayer of Jesus it's instruction how to pray!
Sensible is offline  
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:41 AM   #7
Quid est veritas?
 
Peter the Roman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The heart of darkness
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
The inclusion of a request for God not to lead us into temptation teaches us that avoiding temptation should be one of the primary concerns of the Christian life.
Yeah but the grammatical implication is that God can lead us into evil. Which is impossible for God to do because God is all-loving and inherently good.
Peter the Roman is offline  
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:44 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,877
The Pope is an idiot, teaching Catholics to pray in vain repetition is against scripture. So say all the hail mary's you want, or our fathers, it is sinful!

This is the Lords prayer,
John 17:1-321st Century King James Version (KJ21)

17 These words spoke Jesus and lifted up His eyes to Heaven and said, “Father, the hour is come. Glorify Thy Son, that Thy Son also may glorify Thee,

2 as Thou hast given Him power over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as Thou hast given Him.

3 And this is life eternal: that they might know Thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent.
Sensible is offline  
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:47 AM   #9
Quid est veritas?
 
Peter the Roman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The heart of darkness
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
The Pope is an idiot, teaching Catholics to pray in vain repetition is against scripture. So say all the hail mary's you want, or our fathers, it is sinful!

This is the Lords prayer,
John 17:1-321st Century King James Version (KJ21)

17 These words spoke Jesus and lifted up His eyes to Heaven and said, “Father, the hour is come. Glorify Thy Son, that Thy Son also may glorify Thee,

2 as Thou hast given Him power over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as Thou hast given Him.

3 And this is life eternal: that they might know Thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent.
Matthew 6:9-13

9 Thus therefore shall you pray: Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.

10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

11 Give us this day our supersubstantial bread.

12 And forgive us our debts, as we also forgive our debtors.

13 And lead us not into temptation. But deliver us from evil. Amen.

Besides, isn't praying the same prayer over and over "vain repetition?"
Peter the Roman is offline  
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:44 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 56,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible View Post
The inclusion of a request for God not to lead us into temptation teaches us that avoiding temptation should be one of the primary concerns of the Christian life.
One of the primary concerns of a Christian is to withstand the temptations of evil, as Yeshua did in his meeting with Satan.

Temptations are unavoidable.
Thanks from TNVolunteer73
imaginethat is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
‘lord’s, change, god, implies, pope, prayer’, prayer’, temptation’, ‘induces, ‘lord’s



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interpretation of commandments of Lord God Jehovah and Lord Jesus Christ fdtwain Christianity 18 April 10th, 2016 08:46 AM
The Pope vs. vampire capitalism: Why his climate-change encyclical is revolutionary LongWinded Current Events 21 June 22nd, 2015 04:21 PM
The Pope Thinks Climate Change Is a Major Threat. So Do American Catholics. imaginethat Current Events 61 January 2nd, 2015 08:43 PM
After SCOTUS Ruling Sectarian Prayer Quickly Becomes Christian Only Prayer skews13 Current Events 2 May 10th, 2014 10:11 AM
Pope Should Talk Climate Change With Bush teethandclaws Environment 2 April 27th, 2007 05:14 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.