Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Thanks Tree38Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2018, 04:07 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 10,703
Picking leaders with a "beauty contest" just might be the problem.....
goober is offline  
Old January 9th, 2018, 05:16 AM   #22
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Picking leaders with a "beauty contest" just might be the problem.....
Yep. That's how we ended up with Obama.
Thanks from Sabcat
Libertarian Guy is offline  
Old January 9th, 2018, 05:16 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
mayeve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: The Midwest
Posts: 224
This rumor was started by a single person on facebook and Oprah said it's not true. She has no desire to run for president.
mayeve is offline  
Old January 9th, 2018, 05:18 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
iolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rhondda
Posts: 1,759
I'm sure the lady could win, but could she achieve anything amongst all that gerrymandered racist sabotage?
iolo is offline  
Old January 9th, 2018, 05:24 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
mayeve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: The Midwest
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
Did you watch the Golden Globes last night? If not, you missed a moving speech by Oprah Winfrey, the recipient of the Cecille B. DeMille lifetime achievement award.

America woke up Monday with a crazy idea in its addled brain: Oprah Winfrey could be the next president of the United States.

The notion has tugged at the imagination for as long as Winfrey has been famous, but her barnstorming speech at the Golden Globes on Sunday electrified much of the 56 percent of the populace that disapproves of her fellow television personality, President Trump. The possibility of a Winfrey campaign, on Monday at least, seemed capable of uniting both ends of the political spectrum.

“I want her to run for president,” Meryl Streep told The Washington Post just after the Globes ceremony. “I don’t think she had any intention [of declaring]. But now she doesn’t have a choice.”

“Oprah. #ImWithHer,” tweeted Bill Kristol, scion of neoconservatism and the original promoter of Sarah Palin, whose tongue-in-cheek declaration gave way to an objective case for her candidacy: “Understands Middle America better than Elizabeth Warren,” he tweeted. “Less touchy-feely than Joe Biden, more pleasant than Andrew Cuomo, more charismatic than John Hickenlooper.”

The question lingering under this surprising groundswell: Are we now at a point where we believe celebrity is a prerequisite for winning (let alone governing)? Jokes about Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson being so widely likable that he, too, could run for president have recently morphed into something like actual candidate buzz; the wrestler-turned-actor recently said he’s “seriously considering” a run.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.a5710c9c100e

Where was Oprah when Rose McGowen was being slandered by Hollywood for speaking "her truth?"




Oprah is as fake as the rest of the Hollywood elite.




Rose McGowan: ‘Hollywood blacklisted me because I got raped’

The actor Rose McGowan has said she was “blacklisted” because she “got raped”, and has vowed to chase down the individuals in the film industry who are “aiding and abetting” sex crimes.

On Thursday she publicly accused the Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein of raping her.

In a remarkable interview recorded in January 2017, obtained by the Observer and published for the first time, McGowan sheds more light on the allegation while explaining that she never reported the rape to the police because a criminal lawyer advised her that she was unlikely to win. “Also, I didn’t want his name next to mine in my obituary; his name doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as mine when I’m dead,” she said.
McGowan is one of more than 30 women who have come forward since the New York Times revealed sexual harassment and rape allegations against Weinstein going back decades. In a series of tweets last week she also accused Roy Price, the head of Amazon Studios, of ignoring her when she made the allegation earlier.

The accusations have raised questions over who knew about the details, with McGowan, 44, claiming in the interview that she was directly threatened after reporting that she had been raped. “They threatened [me] with being blacklisted. I was blacklisted after I was raped, because I got raped, because I said something … but only like internally, you know,” she said.
Following a New Yorker article last week in which three women accused Weinstein of rape, a spokesman for the Hollywood producer “unequivocally denied” the allegations.

During the interview McGowan also said that she had between 150 and 200 people she could subpoena to support her testimony and referred to a legal document in relation to the alleged attack. “I actually have a signed document from the time of the attack. It was settled for a very small settlement, so that’s an admission of guilt,” she said.

Weinstein reached a settlement with McGowan when she was 23 years old after “an episode in a hotel room” during a film festival, according to a New York Times article this month.

The star also suggested that she had other physical proof. “I had three surgeries on my wrist and elbow. I think that’s fair enough,” she said.

More broadly, the star of the US television series Charmed criticised the way allegations of sexual harassment and rape were treated by the film industry, in which the victims rather than the perpetrators were targeted.

“They blame the victim, they do all that shit. People are bred to be scared. They are bred to put fear into people and that’s what they do, they’re bred to put fear into the publishers and lawyers and they overreach it, and I’m going to do what I can and come out as hard as I can,” she said.

Although the interview took place ten months ago, McGowan correctly predicted that women in the industry would come forward with claims of rape, sexual harassment and unwanted physical contact. “You can’t really keep information any more,” she said, referring to the allegations directed at Bill Cosby, who faces numerous accusations of rape, drug-facilitated sexual assault and sexual misconduct stretching back to the 1960s.

McGowan claimed that a network of people hid the allegations against Cosby. “It was a whole cottage industry. Everyone who worked with him are aiding and abetting a crime. Those are the fuckers that I’m going after.”

She also revealed that the late US journalist David Carr had wanted to publicise the crimes against her, but she was waiting for the right time. “Everyone knows who I’m talking about: David Carr from the New York Times was trying to break my story for years, and I wouldn’t let him. I said, ‘It’s not time yet, the public consciousness is not there.’”

During the recording, details of McGowan’s forthcoming book – called Brave and bought by the UK publisher HarperCollins – were discussed. She said 85% of it had been written and that she was prepared to use false names if legally required in order to detail certain incidents in it. “My book is going to address a lot of these things, it’s not a ‘tell all’, it’s a ‘tell it how it is’,” said McGowan.

Though she was named in the New York Times investigation as an accuser, her tweets last Thursday were the first time she publicly alleged that Weinstein raped her. “I told the head of your studio that HW raped me,” she wrote in a tweet to Amazon’s chief executive, using Weinstein’s initials.

Three months before the interview obtained by the Observer took place – October 2016 – McGowan spoke about being raped by a studio head, but did not name Weinstein. Using the hashtag #WhyWomenDontReport, she explained that she never went to the authorities with the alleged crime because she received legal advice that she could never win the case.


https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...owan-rape-film

Last edited by mayeve; January 9th, 2018 at 05:28 AM.
mayeve is offline  
Old January 9th, 2018, 06:19 AM   #26
Put some ice on that
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 26,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by right to left View Post
If she gives everyone a free car I'm sure that's going to be a winning strategy!
She could even dramiticly over pay for them w/ tax dollars. As long as they get them.
Sabcat is offline  
Old January 9th, 2018, 06:49 AM   #27
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by iolo View Post
I'm sure the lady could win, but could she achieve anything amongst all that gerrymandered racist sabotage?
Gerrymandering has nothing to do with Presidential elections. Perhaps you should stick to worrying about your own country.
Libertarian Guy is offline  
Old January 9th, 2018, 08:55 AM   #28
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
Did you watch the Golden Globes last night? If not, you missed a moving speech by Oprah Winfrey, the recipient of the Cecille B. DeMille lifetime achievement award.

America woke up Monday with a crazy idea in its addled brain: Oprah Winfrey could be the next president of the United States.

The notion has tugged at the imagination for as long as Winfrey has been famous, but her barnstorming speech at the Golden Globes on Sunday electrified much of the 56 percent of the populace that disapproves of her fellow television personality, President Trump. The possibility of a Winfrey campaign, on Monday at least, seemed capable of uniting both ends of the political spectrum.

“I want her to run for president,” Meryl Streep told The Washington Post just after the Globes ceremony. “I don’t think she had any intention [of declaring]. But now she doesn’t have a choice.”

“Oprah. #ImWithHer,” tweeted Bill Kristol, scion of neoconservatism and the original promoter of Sarah Palin, whose tongue-in-cheek declaration gave way to an objective case for her candidacy: “Understands Middle America better than Elizabeth Warren,” he tweeted. “Less touchy-feely than Joe Biden, more pleasant than Andrew Cuomo, more charismatic than John Hickenlooper.”

The question lingering under this surprising groundswell: Are we now at a point where we believe celebrity is a prerequisite for winning (let alone governing)? Jokes about Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson being so widely likable that he, too, could run for president have recently morphed into something like actual candidate buzz; the wrestler-turned-actor recently said he’s “seriously considering” a run.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.a5710c9c100e
She has less experience than Obama, and his Presidency was horrible, based on the whole thing being about popularity though she might, I think the statement about old white people needing to die might hurt though!
Sensible is offline  
Old January 9th, 2018, 10:34 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayeve View Post
Where was Oprah when Rose McGowen was being slandered by Hollywood for speaking "her truth?"




Oprah is as fake as the rest of the Hollywood elite.




Rose McGowan: ‘Hollywood blacklisted me because I got raped’

The actor Rose McGowan has said she was “blacklisted” because she “got raped”, and has vowed to chase down the individuals in the film industry who are “aiding and abetting” sex crimes.

On Thursday she publicly accused the Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein of raping her.

In a remarkable interview recorded in January 2017, obtained by the Observer and published for the first time, McGowan sheds more light on the allegation while explaining that she never reported the rape to the police because a criminal lawyer advised her that she was unlikely to win. “Also, I didn’t want his name next to mine in my obituary; his name doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as mine when I’m dead,” she said.
McGowan is one of more than 30 women who have come forward since the New York Times revealed sexual harassment and rape allegations against Weinstein going back decades. In a series of tweets last week she also accused Roy Price, the head of Amazon Studios, of ignoring her when she made the allegation earlier.

The accusations have raised questions over who knew about the details, with McGowan, 44, claiming in the interview that she was directly threatened after reporting that she had been raped. “They threatened [me] with being blacklisted. I was blacklisted after I was raped, because I got raped, because I said something … but only like internally, you know,” she said.
Following a New Yorker article last week in which three women accused Weinstein of rape, a spokesman for the Hollywood producer “unequivocally denied” the allegations.

During the interview McGowan also said that she had between 150 and 200 people she could subpoena to support her testimony and referred to a legal document in relation to the alleged attack. “I actually have a signed document from the time of the attack. It was settled for a very small settlement, so that’s an admission of guilt,” she said.

Weinstein reached a settlement with McGowan when she was 23 years old after “an episode in a hotel room” during a film festival, according to a New York Times article this month.

The star also suggested that she had other physical proof. “I had three surgeries on my wrist and elbow. I think that’s fair enough,” she said.

More broadly, the star of the US television series Charmed criticised the way allegations of sexual harassment and rape were treated by the film industry, in which the victims rather than the perpetrators were targeted.

“They blame the victim, they do all that shit. People are bred to be scared. They are bred to put fear into people and that’s what they do, they’re bred to put fear into the publishers and lawyers and they overreach it, and I’m going to do what I can and come out as hard as I can,” she said.

Although the interview took place ten months ago, McGowan correctly predicted that women in the industry would come forward with claims of rape, sexual harassment and unwanted physical contact. “You can’t really keep information any more,” she said, referring to the allegations directed at Bill Cosby, who faces numerous accusations of rape, drug-facilitated sexual assault and sexual misconduct stretching back to the 1960s.

McGowan claimed that a network of people hid the allegations against Cosby. “It was a whole cottage industry. Everyone who worked with him are aiding and abetting a crime. Those are the fuckers that I’m going after.”

She also revealed that the late US journalist David Carr had wanted to publicise the crimes against her, but she was waiting for the right time. “Everyone knows who I’m talking about: David Carr from the New York Times was trying to break my story for years, and I wouldn’t let him. I said, ‘It’s not time yet, the public consciousness is not there.’”

During the recording, details of McGowan’s forthcoming book – called Brave and bought by the UK publisher HarperCollins – were discussed. She said 85% of it had been written and that she was prepared to use false names if legally required in order to detail certain incidents in it. “My book is going to address a lot of these things, it’s not a ‘tell all’, it’s a ‘tell it how it is’,” said McGowan.

Though she was named in the New York Times investigation as an accuser, her tweets last Thursday were the first time she publicly alleged that Weinstein raped her. “I told the head of your studio that HW raped me,” she wrote in a tweet to Amazon’s chief executive, using Weinstein’s initials.

Three months before the interview obtained by the Observer took place – October 2016 – McGowan spoke about being raped by a studio head, but did not name Weinstein. Using the hashtag #WhyWomenDontReport, she explained that she never went to the authorities with the alleged crime because she received legal advice that she could never win the case.


https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...owan-rape-film


So your response is: where was Oprah?? How is that relevant? How does that make Oprah fake? Does that same question apply to the other 30 women Weinstein assaulted? Does that same question apply to Bill Cosby's rapes? Matt Lauer? Charlie Rose? Al Franken? Steven Seagal? Dustin Hoffman? Jeremy Piven? Kevin Spacey? Oliver Stone? Because ALL these guys were in the entertainment business and probably ALL of them knew Oprah via social engagements/films/industry. Donald J. Trump says he knows Oprah very well so where was Oprah when his victims came forward?

Oprah Winfrey stood in front of America last night and some of us completely missed the point, which wasn't about HER. It was about us. AND every little girl who was watching. It was about "Women whose names we’ll never know. They are domestic workers and farmworkers. They are working in factories and they work in restaurants and they’re in academia, engineering, medicine, and science.They’re part of the world of tech and politics and business. They’re our athletes in the Olympics and they’re our soldiers in the military."
Oprah talked about the "limits" of TOP DOWN power.....the power of MEN in positions of power and how they have used it.
Oprah should know what she's talking about. She was sexually abused as a child. She was 9 years old when her 19-year-old cousin raped her so do you really want to continue with "where was Oprah"?
Clara007 is offline  
Old January 9th, 2018, 10:42 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
mayeve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: The Midwest
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
So your response is: where was Oprah?? How is that relevant? How does that make Oprah fake? Does that same question apply to the other 30 women Weinstein assaulted? Does that same question apply to Bill Cosby's rapes? Matt Lauer? Charlie Rose? Al Franken? Steven Seagal? Dustin Hoffman? Jeremy Piven? Kevin Spacey? Oliver Stone? Because ALL these guys were in the entertainment business and probably ALL of them knew Oprah via social engagements/films/industry. Donald J. Trump says he knows Oprah very well so where was Oprah when his victims came forward?

Oprah Winfrey stood in front of America last night and some of us completely missed the point, which wasn't about HER. It was about us. AND every little girl who was watching. It was about "Women whose names we’ll never know. They are domestic workers and farmworkers. They are working in factories and they work in restaurants and they’re in academia, engineering, medicine, and science.They’re part of the world of tech and politics and business. They’re our athletes in the Olympics and they’re our soldiers in the military."
Oprah talked about the "limits" of TOP DOWN power.....the power of MEN in positions of power and how they have used it.
Oprah should know what she's talking about. She was sexually abused as a child. She was 9 years old when her 19-year-old cousin raped her so do you really want to continue with "where was Oprah"?

I just don't think Oprah was sincere. Like Meryl, she's a cozy friend of Harvey's. Just too icky for me to believe.
Thanks from Sabcat
mayeve is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
oprah, run, win



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oprah 2020 RNG Current Events 11 January 8th, 2018 01:55 PM
the donald on oprah in 1988 Sabcat Political Talk 10 May 26th, 2016 10:36 AM
Oprah does it again! Mr. Logic Civil Rights 112 September 13th, 2013 07:29 AM
Saw This on Oprah and The View! jeansyzer Crime and Punishment 4 January 19th, 2010 11:27 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.