Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Thanks Tree36Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2018, 04:02 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 10,592
NRA: Block New Florida Gun Law

I think we all saw this coming.

The National Rifle Association is suing the state of Florida after Gov. Rick Scott signed Senate Bill 7026 into law Friday, the first gun control legislation enacted in the state after the Parkland school massacre on February 14.

"This bill punishes law-abiding gun owners for the criminal acts of a deranged individual," executive director of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action Chris W. Cox said. "Securing our schools and protecting the constitutional rights of Americans are not mutually exclusive."
Seventeen people were killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School when a 19-year-old man with a semi-automatic military-style rifle opened fire.
The new Florida law raises the minimum age to purchase a firearm to 21 from 18, bans the sale or possession of bump fire stocks, gives law enforcement greater power to seize weapons and ammunition from those deemed mentally unfit and provides additional funding for armed school resource officers.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/09/us/nr...law/index.html

In other news.....Florida Rep. Elizabeth Porter turned heads when she compared children calling for gun control to children calling for 'no homework,' during a speech about gun reform on the statehouse floor.

Ms. Porter claims that THEY (Florida lawmakers) have the wisdom and experience to make these decisions. HEY LIZZY! That's debatable.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...aws/407697002/
Thanks from skews13 and Lyzza
Clara007 is offline  
Old March 9th, 2018, 04:07 PM   #2
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 27,510
Publish the pictures and it will be game over.
Camelot is online now  
Old March 9th, 2018, 04:14 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,316
The part of the Florida law we question, in this household, is 21 to buy and own a rifle. At 18 these same people can vote...on all things from bonds that raise property taxes to the President and with none or little experience about taxes or the many things connected to what any politician has done or will do. So,,they are mature enough to make those decisions but not what rifle suits them? Many have hunting licenses and have hunted for several years. Are they to be denied hunting? Are they expected to "borrow" a rifle.. or ...be told they cannot "use" one owned by other family members?
goodpen is offline  
Old March 9th, 2018, 04:18 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,316
Camelot...well does he ever consider how the kids are driven by emotion? I doubt it. How much do they know about gun laws and in general "guns'?
goodpen is offline  
Old March 9th, 2018, 04:43 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 577
Yup, the Republicans are 2nd Amendment hating gun grabbers, probably worse than Democrats in some cases, such as this one.

Seems like the NRA is trying to do the right thing, but I don't trust them and I wonder if they're doing enough. If they are doing enough they may gain my respect. I may even sign up to become an NRA member.
Neil is offline  
Old March 9th, 2018, 04:58 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
skews13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: nirvana
Posts: 9,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
I think we all saw this coming.

The National Rifle Association is suing the state of Florida after Gov. Rick Scott signed Senate Bill 7026 into law Friday, the first gun control legislation enacted in the state after the Parkland school massacre on February 14.

"This bill punishes law-abiding gun owners for the criminal acts of a deranged individual," executive director of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action Chris W. Cox said. "Securing our schools and protecting the constitutional rights of Americans are not mutually exclusive."
Seventeen people were killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School when a 19-year-old man with a semi-automatic military-style rifle opened fire.
The new Florida law raises the minimum age to purchase a firearm to 21 from 18, bans the sale or possession of bump fire stocks, gives law enforcement greater power to seize weapons and ammunition from those deemed mentally unfit and provides additional funding for armed school resource officers.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/09/us/nr...law/index.html

In other news.....Florida Rep. Elizabeth Porter turned heads when she compared children calling for gun control to children calling for 'no homework,' during a speech about gun reform on the statehouse floor.

Ms. Porter claims that THEY (Florida lawmakers) have the wisdom and experience to make these decisions. HEY LIZZY! That's debatable.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...aws/407697002/
They can sue all they want. If the NRA is going to sue on the grounds of the age of the individual being regulated by the state, then they lost their case based upon their own standing.

The 2nd Amendment clearly states that a well regulated militia being necessary, as it's core principle, makes the states argument in the case, as the law is written in the very spirit of the baring of firearms in a well regulated manner by the citizens of the state.

This puts the NRA of having to put forth the argument before the court that in order to not be in violation of the 2nd amendment, a 3 year old must not be prohibited from it's right to keep and bear arms.
Thanks from Lyzza and Clara007
skews13 is offline  
Old March 9th, 2018, 05:53 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,316
I find the constant attacks on people that have guns is somewhat a cover up to avoid talking about the good things that have been and are happening. Do you ever see teenagers encouraged to talk about jobs or what they would prefer as one and what "they" are doing to prepare?
goodpen is offline  
Old March 9th, 2018, 06:04 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by skews13 View Post
They can sue all they want.
Yeah, they can sue all they want, you can sue all you want, I can sue all I want, Sue can sue all she wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skews13 View Post
If the NRA is going to sue on the grounds of the age of the individual being regulated by the state, then they lost their case based upon their own standing.
And what exactly is this standing you're referring to, this that follows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skews13 View Post
The 2nd Amendment clearly states that a well regulated militia being necessary, as it's core principle,
Huh? [A]s it is core principle? Did you mean "as its core principle"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skews13 View Post
makes the states argument in the case,
Oh wait, maybe you put that apostrophe in the wrong spot, if what you meant was "makes the state's [or states'] argument in the case."

Quote:
Originally Posted by skews13 View Post
as the law is written in the very spirit of the baring of firearms in a well regulated manner by the citizens of the state.
Ok, but what does that have to do with some age restriction? If you want this statement of yours to serve some purpose such as to make a point, then do something relevant connected to it, such as to assert something such as that "militia" and "people" only refers to some age limit, then fine, make the claim & back it up, or make the argument. Until you make the assertion, you don't have it (you haven't made it until you've made it). As it stands, this seems pointless to me - and yeah, maybe it's only me & someone can help me out; this is fine with me too (whatever).

Maybe one could make the argument that this age in question is 18, if you want to make the argument that it only applies to those who have reached voting age; after all, from what I can tell that's how the argument is made when it comes to being able to enter into a contractual agreement (if that's the case, though, I don't see how that's a valid argument).

Quote:
Originally Posted by skews13 View Post
This puts the NRA of having to put forth the argument before the court that in order to not be in violation of the 2nd amendment, a 3 year old must not be prohibited from it's right to keep and bear arms.
Yeah, and we can go even younger than that - 2 year olds, 1 year olds, 1 month olds, 5 seconds old, etc. What is your point, or what is your argument? I'm not saying you don't have one, and I'm not saying you might not have a good one, but I'm also not going to make assumptions or projections about what it is; after all, this website is called "Defending The Truth", not "Defending The Projections" or "Defending The Assumtions".

It could very well be that that's exactly what the judicial branch of government ought to arrive at or interpret.

Oh no! Not a 3 year old with a gun! They could badly injure themselves or even kill themselves!

Yes, that's the emotional response, and yes, they can badly injure themselves or even kill themselves. My response to that would simply be that just like the 2nd Amendment doesn't grant anyone the right to go around arbitrarily shooting and killing anyone just because they have the right to keep and bear arms, it also doesn't grant the right to be irresponsible by going around and handing out guns to 3 year olds who aren't mature enough to know that it's not a toy. I've never heard of a 3 year old walking into a gun store, whipping out their wallet or purse, pulling out a wad of cash, credit card, check, or cryptocurrency, and telling the shop owner to sell them a gun because it's their 2nd Amendment right.

Suppose it did happen one day, though; suppose in some sort of weird X-Men style of evolution, we some day start having hyper smart 3 year old toddlers that have quickly developed the maturity level and sense to somehow become aware of the need & inherent right to defend themselves, and capability to know how to be safe and responsible with handling guns; in that scenario, who are you to decide that being 3 years old is too young?

The point is not that such a thing will ever happen or that 3 years is not too young. We live in a reality where guns aren't the only deadly things in existence. As far as I know, we don't have age restrictions for buying things like cleaning supplies, paint, glue, kitchen knives, power drills, chain saws, machetes, and all kinds of other dangerous & deadly objects, devices, or substances, yet I've never heard of 3 year old toddlers going into the supermarket or hardware store and buying these items, or this kind of thing being a problem that's portrayed in the same manner as is being done with guns; so why is that? Gee, could it be because it's propaganda hype disseminated by gun grabbers? Nah, couldn't be; could it?

When it's a 3 year old toddler, parents are responsible for making sure they don't do anything harmful to themselves, whether it's getting into the kitchen cabinet, or the basement or garage where there are sharp tools, or wandering around in the yard and trying to grab a bee in a flower or poisonous berry from a plant, or wandering too close to a cliff, river, pool, viper's nest, or a gun. It's up to parents to make sure their children are mature and responsible enough to handle or deal with any of these things, before they do. Or, do you want to go down the slippery slope and end up banning everything, or putting so many restrictions on everyone that we all wind up under perpetual house arrest? That has a self-defeating effect on society.
Thanks from guy39 and Sabcat

Last edited by Neil; March 9th, 2018 at 06:11 PM.
Neil is offline  
Old March 9th, 2018, 09:03 PM   #9
#freetommy
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 27,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
I think we all saw this coming.

The National Rifle Association is suing the state of Florida after Gov. Rick Scott signed Senate Bill 7026 into law Friday, the first gun control legislation enacted in the state after the Parkland school massacre on February 14.

"This bill punishes law-abiding gun owners for the criminal acts of a deranged individual," executive director of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action Chris W. Cox said. "Securing our schools and protecting the constitutional rights of Americans are not mutually exclusive."
Seventeen people were killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School when a 19-year-old man with a semi-automatic military-style rifle opened fire.
The new Florida law raises the minimum age to purchase a firearm to 21 from 18, bans the sale or possession of bump fire stocks, gives law enforcement greater power to seize weapons and ammunition from those deemed mentally unfit and provides additional funding for armed school resource officers.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/09/us/nr...law/index.html

In other news.....Florida Rep. Elizabeth Porter turned heads when she compared children calling for gun control to children calling for 'no homework,' during a speech about gun reform on the statehouse floor.

Ms. Porter claims that THEY (Florida lawmakers) have the wisdom and experience to make these decisions. HEY LIZZY! That's debatable.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...aws/407697002/


Good for them.
Thanks from Lyzza
Sabcat is offline  
Old March 9th, 2018, 09:13 PM   #10
#freetommy
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 27,046
Leftists are so funny.

When did they suddenly become hardcore states rights advocates?











Hint:

1/20/17


Thanks from Jimmyb and guy39
Sabcat is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
block, florida, gun, law, nra



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Block Chain Technology Quigley Current Events 19 December 2nd, 2017 05:37 PM
ISIS Announced Florida Threat: “We Will Attack Florida” excalibur Current Events 8 June 13th, 2016 02:15 AM
Rename Florida, To "Florida Palin"... Medicine Man Current Events 40 November 29th, 2013 09:04 AM
Obama to DOJ: Block terrorist ad Zack Freedom of Speech 23 September 3rd, 2008 08:19 AM
NPR and PBS on the chopping block tyreay Political Talk 57 April 26th, 2007 05:20 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.