Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Thanks Tree21Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2018, 09:00 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,497
It is good for our economy, like football only those missiles cost a little more than footballs. Seriously, to keep our economy going we must use and replace the products.

Quote:
https://www.dailysabah.com/syrian-cr...in-syria-costs
S. President Donald Trump vows to hit the Assad regime again, a year after striking an air base with a barrage of Tomahawk missiles.

The most recent U.S. missile strike on Shayrat air field in April 2017 has cost the Pentagon around $93 million.

According to the U.S. Navy's 2017 budget, each Tomahawk missile, made by Raytheon Co. RTN, cost $1.59 million and the U.S. used 59 of them on the Shayrat air field in response to a chemical attack that killed over 80 civilians.
It was good for the oil companies too.

Quote:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/...083402580.html
Oil prices have soared to their highest level since December 2014 amid the possibility of the US carrying out air strikes against Syria.
Athena is offline  
Old April 16th, 2018, 09:30 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 59,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
It is good for our economy, like football only those missiles cost a little more than footballs. Seriously, to keep our economy going we must use and replace the products.



It was good for the oil companies too.
You might appreciate this:

When they sell the final weapon, we can all watch it blow
Keep the people working, working
Keep the people working, working
Keep the people working, working
Gotta keep the people working

In the bed of iron they cast the final weapon
Just to keep the people working, got to keep the people working

From the mines of Anatolia to the Isle of Mandalay
Along the coast of sullen Africa, they're queuing up to pay
No cause, I don't discriminate, I sell to those who buy
There never was an innocent who didn't want to die

And with demand upon the increase what could keep the cost down
If I keep the people fighting, I can really go to town
No surprise, the cash you borrow, we can close the deal tomorrow
Just swiss francs or dollars won't cause me any borrow, boy

In a bed of iron they cast the final weapon
Just to keep the people working, got to keep the people working
In a bed of iron they cast the final weapon
Just to keep the people working, got to keep the people working

Everybody itching for someone to serve the task
I'll arm the politician for the coup, the crew, the cast,
I have a score of different faces, I can look like a lord
Seen in high places, flying on the concorde

Well you can marvel at precision, you can dial a telephone
Call up color vision from the safety of your home
You can mount the great offensive from a button by the chair
If you arm the right system, you can ionize the air

In a bed of iron, they cast the final weapon
Just to keep the people working, got to keep the people working
In a bed or iron they cast the final weapon
Just to keep the people working, got to keep the people working
Like the wind across the frontier or the breaking light of day
I push across the mountains, all around the Bay of Biscay

Freeze in North America, boil in Pakistan
All along theAamazon, from the fire to the frying pan

Whether air, sea or battle ground, desert sand or snow
When they sell the final weapon we can all watch it blow................

In a bed of iron, they cast the final weapon
Just to keep the people working, got to keep the people working
In a bed or iron they cast the final weapon
Just to keep the people working, got to keep the people working
--- Julian Lennon
imaginethat is offline  
Old April 16th, 2018, 09:54 AM   #13
Quid est veritas?
 
Peter the Roman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The heart of darkness
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Thanks.

AJ is one of the world's better news sources.
To be fair, IT, I don't think you actually know what you're talking about in regards to AJ. Al Jazeera is state-funded by the Qataris and their commentary on anything involving the Middle East is suspect considering the Qatari Government has been waist-deep in the conflicts there.

But, to respond to the article itself, I think that the conclusion that these strikes were intentionally useless isn't exactly a novel idea. I think that there is a great deal of pressure put on Washington by Israel and some factions of that dreadful cabal to deal a blow on Assad before final victory is all but assured. I don't think the idea of a vengeful Syria turning towards the Golan Heights is a scenario that the Jews want to see played out.

I do, but the Jews don't. Just to clarify my personal position.

Personally, I don't think it matters if he used chemical weapons or not. Frankly I don't care on a number of levels. The first and foremost is that this is a war of survival for not only Assad and the regime themselves, but the Alawite peoples and anyone who isn't a Sunni Muslim. It is total war, and things must happen. I don't think that's callous because our Western countries have done some ignoble things to achieve total victory. Like firebombing cities or dropping nuclear weapons. I'm not saying that these are bad things or good things, but that these are necessary things for victory in war. I'm also not particularly bothered because to me it's another mess in the Middle East that we really ought to not involve ourselves in. What, exactly, would be the end-game if we did? 'Democracy?' Because that's worked in the past, right? There's no endgame except endless war and I don't think one American life is worth ten thousand Arabs.

I don't think it matters because these strikes would happen regardless if he had chemical weapons or not. The narrative would still be there. Israel has perhaps the strongest lobby our Government and the prospect of Syria somehow recovering is not an option for them because I believe firmly they will go after the Golan Heights eventually. The Jews would be making up some other story if it wasn't this. As I said, it doesn't matter if the chemical attacks were real or not. It's a post-truth world we live in.

I think that America is fracturing already without this. I think that this is just irrelevant posturing over sand dunes for the sake of our masters in Jerusalem. Frankly Putin doesn't need to do anything at all to have the United States divide itself like a cell would. We're doing it all on our own.
Thanks from Sabcat and PMB
Peter the Roman is offline  
Old April 16th, 2018, 10:10 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
I failed to convey my point.

I think Trump, France, and the UK just got snookered.

Why would Assad gas his own people? That question has been asked repeatedly as though it would be a dumb move on his part. Super dumb.

Not really. Look it up yourself. The alleged chemical attack killed Sunnis. Assad would have no problem dusting a few Sunnis. As a side note, Assad's forces have carried out 73 documented chemical attacks since their war began, so the question "Why would Assad attack his 'own' people" is moot indeed.

Putin wanted a big, ineffective, preemptive, invasive display of raw but ineffective US power, which he got and knew he'd get if Assad gassed a few dozen Sunnis. Clearly, Assad remaining in power is a done deal, as is the future of Russian bases in Syria.

Meanwhile, back in the U S of A, more fracturing, D against R, R against R, D against D. More division. More confusion.

Score one for Vlad.


Vlad IS RACKING up the points!! In fact, he's probably got a scoreboard in his office.
While the RW is busy as little bees coming up with clever epithets for Liberals and basically anyone who vaguely opposes Trump--Commie, Pinko, Comrade, Marxist, Collectivist, Rooskie--the REAL THING sits in Moscow having a chuckle or two about HOW EASY it was.

While the RW denies an attack on our election process, hacking our polling sites, infiltrating our political party websites--while Guccifer passes on thousands of files to Wiki-Leaks.......the RW thinks (something they are obviously unaccustomed to) this is totally freakin' AWESOME, because it's a hit on the liberal Commies???
But NOT on their country....because liberal Commies are citizens/voters too? Somehow this translates into a WIN-WIN for conservatives across this nation?

Is there some kind of warped logic in this??

But of course this is the same tribe that thinks that taking money away from public schools will make them better and that there's no such thing as global warming and that our 44th president was born in Kenya....so...never mind.
Face the West tomorrow morn, kids. That's probably where the sun will be coming up.
Thanks from PMB

Last edited by Clara007; April 16th, 2018 at 10:57 AM.
Clara007 is online now  
Old April 16th, 2018, 10:50 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hell
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
I failed to convey my point.

I think Trump, France, and the UK just got snookered.

Why would Assad gas his own people? That question has been asked repeatedly as though it would be a dumb move on his part. Super dumb.

Not really. Look it up yourself. The alleged chemical attack killed Sunnis. Assad would have no problem dusting a few Sunnis. As a side note, Assad's forces have carried out 73 documented chemical attacks since their war began, so the question "Why would Assad attack his 'own' people" is moot indeed.

Putin wanted a big, ineffective, preemptive, invasive display of raw but ineffective US power, which he got and knew he'd get if Assad gassed a few dozen Sunnis. Clearly, Assad remaining in power is a done deal, as is the future of Russian bases in Syria.

Meanwhile, back in the U S of A, more fracturing, D against R, R against R, D against D. More division. More confusion.

Score one for Vlad.
You should listen to the Sunni in Syria on social media.

Without Sunni support, Assad would not have even lasted a year, let alone retaking most of the country back.

The Sunnis are 75% of the population and the army is 85% Sunni. The Goverment is 80% Sunni, and all but two bureau security chiefs in all of Syria are Sunni. Damascus is mainly Sunni and not a single anti-Assad action. Aleppo which is 90% Sunni refused to surrender and held out for four years until liberated by the Syrian Army. A poor village named Qamhaneh is all Sunni and they refused to surrender to the Free Syrian Army and the villagers all by themselves without the help of the Syrian Army held out for two months and DEFEATED the separatists.

The most fanatical units of the Syrian Army are called Al-Ba’ath brigades and they are almost exclusively Sunni.

The Sunni is Assad's main support. Why were the Syrian people constantly fleeing towards the government and not towards the rebels?

Last edited by Marcus Livius; April 16th, 2018 at 11:02 AM.
Marcus Livius is offline  
Old April 16th, 2018, 10:57 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
iolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rhondda
Posts: 1,764
It seems unlikely that when the Government was winning hands down in Syria that it should deliberately seek bad publicity, whereas those who used the matter to destroy the evidence of what they claimed to be fact did have excellent reason to do a little killing. How on earth will we ever know?
iolo is online now  
Old April 16th, 2018, 02:52 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 59,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Roman View Post
To be fair, IT, I don't think you actually know what you're talking about in regards to AJ. Al Jazeera is state-funded by the Qataris and their commentary on anything involving the Middle East is suspect considering the Qatari Government has been waist-deep in the conflicts there.

But, to respond to the article itself, I think that the conclusion that these strikes were intentionally useless isn't exactly a novel idea. I think that there is a great deal of pressure put on Washington by Israel and some factions of that dreadful cabal to deal a blow on Assad before final victory is all but assured. I don't think the idea of a vengeful Syria turning towards the Golan Heights is a scenario that the Jews want to see played out.

I do, but the Jews don't. Just to clarify my personal position.

Personally, I don't think it matters if he used chemical weapons or not. Frankly I don't care on a number of levels. The first and foremost is that this is a war of survival for not only Assad and the regime themselves, but the Alawite peoples and anyone who isn't a Sunni Muslim. It is total war, and things must happen. I don't think that's callous because our Western countries have done some ignoble things to achieve total victory. Like firebombing cities or dropping nuclear weapons. I'm not saying that these are bad things or good things, but that these are necessary things for victory in war. I'm also not particularly bothered because to me it's another mess in the Middle East that we really ought to not involve ourselves in. What, exactly, would be the end-game if we did? 'Democracy?' Because that's worked in the past, right? There's no endgame except endless war and I don't think one American life is worth ten thousand Arabs.

I don't think it matters because these strikes would happen regardless if he had chemical weapons or not. The narrative would still be there. Israel has perhaps the strongest lobby our Government and the prospect of Syria somehow recovering is not an option for them because I believe firmly they will go after the Golan Heights eventually. The Jews would be making up some other story if it wasn't this. As I said, it doesn't matter if the chemical attacks were real or not. It's a post-truth world we live in.

I think that America is fracturing already without this. I think that this is just irrelevant posturing over sand dunes for the sake of our masters in Jerusalem. Frankly Putin doesn't need to do anything at all to have the United States divide itself like a cell would. We're doing it all on our own.
Yes, we are doing it all on our own, however, Trump and Putin are fanning the flames, in Putin's case for entertainment if nothing else, and for Trump it's his manifest destiny:
"I am your voice," said Trump. "I alone can fix it. I will restore law and order."
As for this alleged "post truth" world in which we live, I call bullshit. Oh, the allegation regularly is made. Those "in the know" are privileged to the mystery knowledge of living in a post truth world, but none of the essential criteria that serve to establish truth have been overwritten.

We are being attacked by skillful opponents. Waking up to this fact would be beneficial. The "post truth" arrow is being used against us .... by us.

I know you're no fan of the American Empire and I understand your rationales and even share some of them with you. However, the US cannot disappear without without creating a huge power vacuum, and when you consider what realistically would fill that vacuum, things could be much worse than they now are.

You and I agree that we really don't have any good reason to be meddling in the centuries-long Sunni-Shia conflict. but then as you pointed out the Zionists have different idea, and they have far too much influence over our government.
Thanks from Clara007
imaginethat is offline  
Old April 16th, 2018, 03:09 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 59,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Livius View Post
You should listen to the Sunni in Syria on social media.

Without Sunni support, Assad would not have even lasted a year, let alone retaking most of the country back.

The Sunnis are 75% of the population and the army is 85% Sunni. The Goverment is 80% Sunni, and all but two bureau security chiefs in all of Syria are Sunni. Damascus is mainly Sunni and not a single anti-Assad action. Aleppo which is 90% Sunni refused to surrender and held out for four years until liberated by the Syrian Army. A poor village named Qamhaneh is all Sunni and they refused to surrender to the Free Syrian Army and the villagers all by themselves without the help of the Syrian Army held out for two months and DEFEATED the separatists.

The most fanatical units of the Syrian Army are called Al-Ba’ath brigades and they are almost exclusively Sunni.

The Sunni is Assad's main support. Why were the Syrian people constantly fleeing towards the government and not towards the rebels?
Everything you noted is true. Now, Assad's Alawite sect, Hezbollah, and the Iranians are Shia. While the army may be predominately Sunni, the myriad of opposition groups mostly Sunnis too.

It's a freaking clusterf**k and our best course of action would be to get the hell out of the region.

But then, we have a "massive" military industrial complex that has a ravenous appetite and demands to be fed.
Thanks from PMB
imaginethat is offline  
Old April 17th, 2018, 07:39 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
BubbaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 7,181
At $1.59 Million dollars each we sent 105 missiles this time. That's $166.95 Million dollars.

But we can't afford to help Puerto Rico ???
BubbaJones is offline  
Old April 17th, 2018, 07:47 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaJones View Post
At $1.59 Million dollars each we sent 105 missiles this time. That's $166.95 Million dollars.

But we can't afford to help Puerto Rico ???


It's all about priorities, Bubba. AND...as the president says "WE can't help Puerto Rico FOREVER"....now can we? Plus, our government/military has better things to do like protect our borders, make quick trips to Syria, and circle the wagons around Donald J. Trump.

Besides, Prez Magnanimous DID throw out those paper towels to those in need.
Clara007 is online now  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
respond, russia, strikes, syria



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kerry Says Strikes By Russia, Syria 'Beg For' A War Crimes Investigation imaginethat Current Events 8 October 7th, 2016 03:49 PM
Russia Strikes On Syria’s Southern Opposition Spark Fears of Conflict With Israel imaginethat Current Events 7 January 12th, 2016 04:48 PM
Strikes on Raqqa in Syria Lead to More Questions Than Results imaginethat Current Events 3 November 17th, 2015 09:38 PM
ABC News Confirms Air Strikes Have Begun In Syria skews13 Current Events 51 September 23rd, 2014 06:31 PM
US Russia Call Syria To Put CW Under International Control Syria Says Yes skews13 Current Events 25 September 9th, 2013 06:12 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.