Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Thanks Tree9Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2018, 03:08 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 23,299
Judge Finalizes $25 Million Settlement in Trump’s Fraud Case

It took a while, but the Trump University fraud case officially reached its end last week. The political fallout, however, hasn’t quite run its course.

USA Today reported the other day on the end of the settlement agreement.

A federal judge finalized the $25 million settlement between President Trump and students of his now shuttered Trump University on Monday, with New York’s attorney general claiming “victims of Donald Trump’s fraudulent university will finally receive the relief they deserve.”

The order from U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel – the same Indiana-born judge Trump called biased because of his “Mexican heritage” – comes a year after he first approved the settlement. It marks the end of two class-action lawsuits and a civil lawsuit from New York accusing Trump of “swindling thousands of Americans out of millions of dollars through Trump University,” in the words of New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman.


The circumstances are nothing short of bizarre: a sitting president of the United States has written a check for $25 million to a group of Americans who credibly claimed that he ripped them off by perpetrating a fraud.

You know things are bad for a president when a story like this goes almost entirely unnoticed by the public, eclipsed by a dozen or so more pressing scandals.

Regardless, after keeping a close eye on this case for a long while, I think it’s a shame to see the case end – because I’ve long believed this is one of the underappreciated controversies of Trump’s recent career.

Indeed, as regular readers may recall, the finalized settlement agreement wasn’t supposed to happen at all – according to the president.

During the 2016 presidential race, Trump boasted during a debate, “This is a case I could have settled very easily, but I don’t settle cases very easily when I’m right.” After boasting that the Better Business Bureau gave Trump University an “A” rating – a claim that turned out to be a brazen lie – Trump added, “Again, I don’t settle cases. I don’t do it because that’s why I don’t get sued very often, because I don’t settle, unlike a lot of other people.” (The assertion that he doesn’t “get sued very often” also turned out to be a demonstrable falsehood.)

After the election Trump settled the case he said he’d never settle – shortly before he was supposed to take the stand in his own fraud case.

And what a case it was. The Washington Post reported in 2015 about students sometimes “max[ing] out their credit cards to pay tens of thousands of dollars for insider knowledge they believed could make them wealthy.”

What I’ve long found important about this story are the parallels between the unaccredited “school” and Trump’s rise to political power: a group of Americans, looking for easy solutions and wowed by a celebrity making too-good-to-be-true promises, put their faith in an accused scam artist, only to learn that Donald Trump had no intention of delivering on outlandish pledges that never really made any sense.

Rank-and-file voters, however, do not have the option of filing a class-action lawsuit.

As for the lingering consequences, the Dallas Morning News had a report the other day that stood out:

President Donald Trump named former Texas Deputy Attorney General David Morales on Tuesday to a trial bench in Corpus Christi. Morales had been recommended to the White House by Sens. John Cornyn and Ted Cruz.

Morales made headlines during the presidential campaign when news outlets learned that in May 2010 the state’s consumer protection division had sought permission to pursue what it believed was a strong case against Trump and Trump University. Investigators asserted that Texas taxpayers had been bilked out of more than $2.6 million, and sought to file a $5.4 million lawsuit.

Morales rejected the recommendation. Texas dropped its investigation. Trump University voluntarily ceased operations in Texas.


Last week, Morales was apparently rewarded for his trouble.

Why didn't Sean Hannity make any kind of news report on this story? Hmmmmm?
Thanks from imaginethat and Clara007
tristanrobin is offline  
Old April 16th, 2018, 03:09 PM   #2
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 27,192
Crooked Spanky Pants. A life long con man.
Camelot is offline  
Old April 16th, 2018, 05:33 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 59,462
Quote:
The circumstances are nothing short of bizarre: a sitting president of the United States has written a check for $25 million to a group of Americans who credibly claimed that he ripped them off by perpetrating a fraud.
You are so full of hate to post this story, Tristan.
Thanks from Camelot and Clara007
imaginethat is offline  
Old April 16th, 2018, 05:42 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 59,462
What is it going to take to wake up the sleeping?

Do 30 million of us who simply cannot bear to see the office of the president further coarsened and cheapened need to march to DC? The First Amendment:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Such a petition has no power, but man it would feel good to deliver it to Mr. Trump.
Thanks from Clara007
imaginethat is offline  
Old April 16th, 2018, 05:49 PM   #5
Put some ice on that
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 26,124
Didn't trump settle on this before the election?
Sabcat is offline  
Old April 16th, 2018, 06:24 PM   #6
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 29,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
Didn't trump settle on this before the election?
He wouldn't pay being the piss-poor human being he is.
RNG is offline  
Old April 16th, 2018, 07:10 PM   #7
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 27,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
He wouldn't pay being the piss-poor human being he is.
He agreed to the terms previously. The judge merely finalized it.
Camelot is offline  
Old April 16th, 2018, 07:11 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 23,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
You are so full of hate to post this story, Tristan.
me?
loathe Dear Leader?
why would you say that?

Thanks from Clara007
tristanrobin is offline  
Old April 16th, 2018, 07:13 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 59,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin View Post
me?
loathe Dear Leader?
why would you say that?

Now, don't be coy Tris....
Thanks from tristanrobin and Clara007
imaginethat is offline  
Old April 16th, 2018, 07:24 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 59,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
Didn't trump settle on this before the election?
Yes.

Quote:
During the 2016 presidential race, Trump boasted during a debate, “This is a case I could have settled very easily, but I don’t settle cases very easily when I’m right.” After boasting that the Better Business Bureau gave Trump University an “A” rating – a claim that turned out to be a brazen lie – Trump added, “Again, I don’t settle cases. I don’t do it because that’s why I don’t get sued very often, because I don’t settle, unlike a lot of other people.” (The assertion that he doesn’t “get sued very often” also turned out to be a demonstrable falsehood.)

After the election Trump settled the case he said he’d never settle – shortly before he was supposed to take the stand in his own fraud case.
What poetic justice that the judge criticized for his "Mexican heritage" finalized the settlement.

Since Inauguration Day, Trump has racked up at least 134 more lawsuits.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...hdM/story.html
Thanks from Clara007
imaginethat is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
$25, case, finalizes, fraud, judge, million, settlement, trump’s



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Judge approves $25 million Trump University settlement imaginethat Current Events 7 March 31st, 2017 05:09 PM
State Police raid Indy office in growing voter fraud case excalibur Current Events 4 October 6th, 2016 07:34 PM
Judge rules against Trump in Trump University case Nwolfe35 Politicians 1 August 2nd, 2016 08:13 PM
Judge Blasts GOP Lawmaker in Anti-Gay Petition Fraud tristanrobin Gay and Lesbian Rights 43 July 23rd, 2007 01:34 PM
BlackBerry maker, NTP ink $612 million settlement hevusa Business & Industries 0 March 4th, 2006 11:12 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.