Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Thanks Tree31Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2018, 01:16 PM   #31
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 35,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
It's as though you are an egotistical, self-important CHILD who doesn't know up from siccum.
See I told you everyone (which includes myself) can be a jackass, (noted by your insult only post with nothing to do with the thread}
Thanks from xMathFanx
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old May 10th, 2018, 02:49 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 59,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMathFanx View Post
@Clara

It is as though you are completely oblivious to how much great resources & information there is out there, and just how inadequate (at best) the public school curriculum is--not to mention other significant problems.
You look at the symptoms and results without accurately addressing the causes, which are legion and interwoven into society's fabric.
imaginethat is online now  
Old May 10th, 2018, 02:55 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 10,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
See I told you everyone (which includes myself) can be a jackass, (noted by your insult only post with nothing to do with the thread}

YES. I suppose that statement came off as harsh, but Mr. Math IS A CHILD and yet he pretends to have all the answers. Experience matters and there's nothing worse than a young pup pretending to be an expert on things he knows NOTHING about. He's never been an educator. He comes off as an arrogant know-it-all because he's been a student. No humility. No inquiry. No substance.

When and only when Mr. Math has worked in the real world with real children and real parents and real school boards and real administrators SHOULD HE be telling those who HAVE paid their dues what is true and what is not.

He's a pretender...and a small-minded one at that.

p.s. The topic is Charter Schools, which is directly connected to public schools.
Thanks from xMathFanx
Clara007 is offline  
Old May 10th, 2018, 02:58 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
xMathFanx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
You look at the symptoms and results without accurately addressing the causes, which are legion and interwoven into society's fabric.
@imaginethat

I'm not sure what you mean--the curriculum & environment is the direct result/consequence of the general cultural thought (i.e. it is a reflection of adults 'mind-space' and society at large). It would be logically impossible for the system to be set up how it is if the majority understood how out-of-step it is with knowledge, resources, and training material available--or even what is to be valued in life.

That is far too much for any one teacher too contend against (or parent, etc.)--I understand that and take that into account when evaluating individual teachers. I have mentioned this before on DTT, the movie "The Dead Poet's Society" explores & displays this excellently.
xMathFanx is offline  
Old May 10th, 2018, 02:59 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
xMathFanx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
YES. I suppose that statement came off as harsh, but Mr. Math IS A CHILD and yet he pretends to have all the answers. Experience matters and there's nothing worse than a young pup pretending to be an expert on things he knows NOTHING about. He's never been an educator. He comes off as an arrogant know-it-all because he's been a student. No humility. No inquiry. No substance.

When and only when Mr. Math has worked in the real world with real children and real parents and real school boards and real administrators SHOULD HE be telling those who HAVE paid their dues what is true and what is not.

He's a pretender...and a small-minded one at that.

p.s. The topic is Charter Schools, which is directly connected to public schools.
@Clara

You are far too kind, ma'am.
xMathFanx is offline  
Old May 10th, 2018, 03:00 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 59,751
IOW, the ills of education can't be addressed in isolation.
imaginethat is online now  
Old May 10th, 2018, 03:04 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
xMathFanx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
IOW, the ills of education can't be addressed in isolation.
@imaginethat

What does IOW stand for?

Yes, you are right--the education system will only be reformed (from the ground up) once the zeitgeist changes, which may or may not even occur--and if it does occur, will (almost definitely) be a very long, uneasy, drawn-out transition; though, it is certainly possible. This is why I love Star Trek.
xMathFanx is offline  
Old May 10th, 2018, 03:43 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
LongWinded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 11,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ional-rankings


All of the top 20 schools in the US are all Charter Schools

another interesting fact

17 of the 20 are in RED states.
Lots of information missing there.
LongWinded is offline  
Old May 10th, 2018, 03:44 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
LongWinded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 11,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ional-rankings


All of the top 20 schools in the US are all Charter Schools

another interesting fact

17 of the 20 are in RED states.
This is according to US News. It's not ranking by any association affiliated with education.
LongWinded is offline  
Old May 10th, 2018, 04:12 PM   #40
Put some ice on that
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 26,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
AND you would lose that bet. Public SCHOOLS are required BY LAW (state statutes and regulations) to fulfill certain requirements for grades K-12. Those requirements are found in ALL 50 states: English, Math, Social Studies/history, Science, PE, Arts, Foreign Language, and elective units. Google your state.

Public School districts are also required BY LAW to submit hundreds of reports and documentation: School Board meeting minutes, student records, testing records, scores, attendance, personal information, immunization records, enrollment histories, transcripts, health records, transfers, disciplinary reports...pages and pages of files that are kept as permanent records. Public schools require specific requirements for teachers--background checks, fingerprinting, educational requirements and certifications. It's called being highly qualified--a holdover from the GW Bush administration. Many private schools do NOT require these certifications.


Charter schools, home schools, private/parochial schools are NOT held to the same standards which is why there is so much fraud in some of these areas.
There are some very good charter schools but parents should do a thorough background check before enrolling their children.

AND one more point. Unless you have worked in a public school, volunteered in a public school or tutored in a public school in the last 5 years........shut your pie hole because you have no idea what's really happening in our schools.


You seem to be posting this as a virtue. I see it as a core problem.
Sabcat is online now  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
charter, chater, interesting, schools, top



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overwhelming Majority Of Voters Want Charter Schools Reigned In skews13 Americas 36 March 8th, 2016 12:59 AM
Charter Schools May Be Economic 'Bubble' That Bursts in Urban Communities pensacola_niceman Current Events 0 January 7th, 2016 12:44 PM
Inside the Growing Movement to Unionize Charter Schools LongWinded Current Events 0 June 26th, 2015 12:33 PM
Feds Spent $3.3 Billion Fueling Charter Schools LongWinded Current Events 0 May 11th, 2015 02:14 PM
Charter schools fail to make grade Mrs. CJ Parker Education 3 April 22nd, 2013 08:52 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.