Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Current Events Current Events Forum - Latest political news and events


Thanks Tree7Thanks
  • 4 Post By skews13
  • 1 Post By GluteusMaximus
  • 1 Post By Neil
  • 1 Post By imaginethat
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2018, 03:47 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
skews13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: nirvana
Posts: 9,479
GOP Congressman Buys $3M Yacht After Voting For Tax Scam

Why would a wealthy Congressman treat himself to a luxurious yacht you say?

The answer is simple and why we call the tax bill the #GOPTaxScam. The wealthy are lavished with massive tax breaks, thus they can afford another yacht or two.

Buchananís net-worth is nearly $74 million and the #GOPTaxScam will save him a whopping $2.1 million. Thatís a great down payment for a yacht thatís worth over $3 million.

Do you think Buchanan had a vested interest in voting for the tax scam bill?

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...The-GOPTaxScam
skews13 is offline  
Old July 11th, 2018, 03:59 PM   #2
PragmaticBastard
 
GluteusMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 820
Gotta love the ability to give yourself a huge tax cut!!
Thanks from PMB
GluteusMaximus is offline  
Old July 11th, 2018, 06:05 PM   #3
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 27,805
Middle class right wingers are total suckers. Always have been.
Camelot is offline  
Old July 11th, 2018, 09:55 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by skews13 View Post
Why would a wealthy Congressman treat himself to a luxurious yacht you say?

The answer is simple and why we call the tax bill the #GOPTaxScam. The wealthy are lavished with massive tax breaks, thus they can afford another yacht or two.

Buchananís net-worth is nearly $74 million and the #GOPTaxScam will save him a whopping $2.1 million. Thatís a great down payment for a yacht thatís worth over $3 million.

Do you think Buchanan had a vested interest in voting for the tax scam bill?

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...The-GOPTaxScam
Plagiarism. This is actually content from the source in the link. You need to indicate it as a quote.

Regarding the topic - I want lawmakers to cut taxes. Cutting taxes is a good thing. If he can afford to buy a yacht, good for him. He's creating jobs by buying that yacht. In the article it mentions that the bill is called the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act", which is consistent with what he's doing.
Thanks from Sabcat
Neil is offline  
Old July 12th, 2018, 12:02 AM   #5
#freetommy
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 27,428
I wonder how they go about deciding their pay?
Sabcat is online now  
Old July 12th, 2018, 12:03 AM   #6
#freetommy
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 27,428
list of members of the United States Congress by wealth


Rank Name Party State Net Worth ($ million)
1 Rep. Greg Gianforte Republican Montana 315[4][5]
2 Rep. Darrell Issa Republican California 254.65
3 Rep. Michael McCaul Republican Texas 107.61
4 Rep. John Delaney Democratic Maryland 91.68
5 Sen. Mark Warner Democratic Virginia 90.85
6 Rep. Jared Polis Democratic Colorado 90.81
7 Rep. David Trott Republican Michigan 73.52
8 Sen. Richard Blumenthal Democratic Connecticut 66.99
9 Sen. Dianne Feinstein Democratic California 52.78
10 Rep. Vern Buchanan Republican Florida 49.86
11 Rep. Diane Black Republican Tennessee 45.95
12 Rep. Scott Peters Democratic California 40.19
13 Rep. Alan Grayson Democratic Florida 33.86
14 Rep. James Renacci Republican Ohio 31.62
15 Rep. Suzan DelBene Democratic Washington 31.02
16 Rep. Nancy Pelosi Democratic California 29.35
17 Rep. Roger Williams Republican Texas 27.45
18 Rep. Tom MacArthur Republican New Jersey 25.90
19 Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen Republican New Jersey 24.73
20 Rep. Chris Collins Republican New York 23.83
21 Sen. Jim Risch Republican Idaho 19.14
22 Sen. Claire McCaskill Democratic Missouri 19.10
23 Rep. Joseph Kennedy III Democratic Massachusetts 18.64
24 Sen. Bob Corker Republican Tennessee 17.98
25 Sen. John Hoeven Republican North Dakota 17.54
26 Sen. Ron Johnson Republican Wisconsin 17.00
27 Sen. David Perdue Republican Georgia 16.78
28 Rep. Richard Hanna Republican New York 16.13
29 Rep. Don Beyer Democratic Virginia 16.01
30 Sen. John McCain Republican Arizona 14.41
31 Rep. Fred Upton Republican Michigan 14.32
32 Rep. Kenny Marchant Republican Texas 13.91
33 Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner Republican Wisconsin 13.52
34 Rep. Lloyd Doggett Democratic Texas 12.94
35 Rep. Nita M. Lowey Democratic New York 12.03
36 Rep. Scott Rigell Republican Virginia 11.40
37 Rep. Trent Franks Republican Arizona 9.85
38 Rep. John Fleming Republican Louisiana 9.64
39 Sen. Johnny Isakson Republican Georgia 9.51
40 Sen. Mitch McConnell Republican Kentucky 9.41
41 Rep. Curt Clawson Republican Florida 9.30
42 Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney Democratic New York 9.15
43 Rep. Mike Kelly Republican Pennsylvania 8.73
44 Rep. Bill Foster Democratic Illinois 8.32
45 Sen. Ron Wyden Democratic Oregon 8.24
46 Sen. Rob Portman Republican Ohio 8.05
47 Rep. Buddy Carter Republican Georgia 7.87
48 Rep. Rod Blum Republican Iowa 7.86
49 Rep. Tom Rooney Republican Florida 7.76
50 Rep. Steve Pearce Republican New Mexico 7.73



https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ress_by_wealth
Sabcat is online now  
Old July 12th, 2018, 11:13 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
guy39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kekistan
Posts: 4,273
The first thing is, the picture in the story is not a 3 million dollar yacht. So, an obvious attempt to mislead right off the bat. The story stinks. Its dishonest in its presentation off the bat
guy39 is offline  
Old July 12th, 2018, 11:55 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Clicker II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 304
Loons don't remember but I'll bet Dems do. there was a "luxury tax" imposed in the 90s by GHWB. It was a smash flop, not yielding the revenue expected and was repealed 3 yrs after it was put in place. Luxury autos were still on the list till 2002. California did the same thing at a different time. Boat and RV sales dropped to virtually nothing and buyers went out of state to purchase and store their toys. That was also repealed in just a few years. Trying to characterize anyone as making law to benefit one purchase is truly idiotic.

California made a name for itself with its rules on smog and other rules that prohibited whole classes of cars from sale or ownership in the state. People found a myriad of ways to get their toys regardless.
Reducing taxes encourages, raising taxes discourages. It also tries to make criminals of certain classes of citizens. Punitive taxes always lose bigly.
Clicker II is offline  
Old July 12th, 2018, 12:08 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Clicker II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by GluteusMaximus View Post
Gotta love the ability to give yourself a huge tax cut!!
C'mon guys. Yer always whining. Are you saying that tax cuts shouldn't be given? Or are you saying that legislation shouldn't apply to congress members? If it's the latter, that's a direct contradiction of your need to apply all rules congress imposes on the general public to themselves as well.
Clicker II is offline  
Old July 12th, 2018, 12:29 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 60,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
list of members of the United States Congress by wealth


Rank Name Party State Net Worth ($ million)
1 Rep. Greg Gianforte Republican Montana 315[4][5]
2 Rep. Darrell Issa Republican California 254.65
3 Rep. Michael McCaul Republican Texas 107.61
4 Rep. John Delaney Democratic Maryland 91.68
5 Sen. Mark Warner Democratic Virginia 90.85
6 Rep. Jared Polis Democratic Colorado 90.81
7 Rep. David Trott Republican Michigan 73.52
8 Sen. Richard Blumenthal Democratic Connecticut 66.99
9 Sen. Dianne Feinstein Democratic California 52.78
10 Rep. Vern Buchanan Republican Florida 49.86
11 Rep. Diane Black Republican Tennessee 45.95
12 Rep. Scott Peters Democratic California 40.19
13 Rep. Alan Grayson Democratic Florida 33.86
14 Rep. James Renacci Republican Ohio 31.62
15 Rep. Suzan DelBene Democratic Washington 31.02
16 Rep. Nancy Pelosi Democratic California 29.35
17 Rep. Roger Williams Republican Texas 27.45
18 Rep. Tom MacArthur Republican New Jersey 25.90
19 Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen Republican New Jersey 24.73
20 Rep. Chris Collins Republican New York 23.83
21 Sen. Jim Risch Republican Idaho 19.14
22 Sen. Claire McCaskill Democratic Missouri 19.10
23 Rep. Joseph Kennedy III Democratic Massachusetts 18.64
24 Sen. Bob Corker Republican Tennessee 17.98
25 Sen. John Hoeven Republican North Dakota 17.54
26 Sen. Ron Johnson Republican Wisconsin 17.00
27 Sen. David Perdue Republican Georgia 16.78
28 Rep. Richard Hanna Republican New York 16.13
29 Rep. Don Beyer Democratic Virginia 16.01
30 Sen. John McCain Republican Arizona 14.41
31 Rep. Fred Upton Republican Michigan 14.32
32 Rep. Kenny Marchant Republican Texas 13.91
33 Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner Republican Wisconsin 13.52
34 Rep. Lloyd Doggett Democratic Texas 12.94
35 Rep. Nita M. Lowey Democratic New York 12.03
36 Rep. Scott Rigell Republican Virginia 11.40
37 Rep. Trent Franks Republican Arizona 9.85
38 Rep. John Fleming Republican Louisiana 9.64
39 Sen. Johnny Isakson Republican Georgia 9.51
40 Sen. Mitch McConnell Republican Kentucky 9.41
41 Rep. Curt Clawson Republican Florida 9.30
42 Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney Democratic New York 9.15
43 Rep. Mike Kelly Republican Pennsylvania 8.73
44 Rep. Bill Foster Democratic Illinois 8.32
45 Sen. Ron Wyden Democratic Oregon 8.24
46 Sen. Rob Portman Republican Ohio 8.05
47 Rep. Buddy Carter Republican Georgia 7.87
48 Rep. Rod Blum Republican Iowa 7.86
49 Rep. Tom Rooney Republican Florida 7.76
50 Rep. Steve Pearce Republican New Mexico 7.73



https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ress_by_wealth
33 Rs

17 Ds

For what it's worth....
Thanks from Hollywood
imaginethat is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Forum > Current Events

Tags
$3m, buys, congressman, gop, scam, tax, voting, yacht



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sydney-to-Hobart Yacht Race Tony Sports 4 December 30th, 2013 03:43 PM
Elin Nordegren's Boyfriend Chris Cline Has a Bigger Yacht Than Ex-Husband Tiger Woods pensacola_niceman Sports 3 August 6th, 2013 08:18 AM
As oil spews in Gulf, BP chief at UK yacht race intangible child Political Talk 7 June 19th, 2010 07:24 PM
Man Convicted in Gruesome Yacht Killings highway80west Crime and Punishment 2 November 18th, 2008 11:07 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.