Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Drugs, Alcohol, Tobacco

Drugs, Alcohol, Tobacco For political topics and discussions about drugs, alcohol, and tobacco


Thanks Tree18Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2015, 09:49 AM   #1
The Token Black Guy
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MD
Posts: 2,223
My Theory on Drug Addiction

I don't believe you can be addicted to drugs. A drug, by itself, is not addictive. The first time you try alcohol, you don't become an alcoholic. In the same breath, the first time you smoke a blunt, you don't become a pothead. What is addictive, however, is the feeling you get from doing drugs. Getting high gives people something they are missing in their lives.

For example, I've been struggling with a weed problem. When I first started smoking, I wasn't hooked immediately. Getting high relieved the depression and anxiety issues that I've suffered from since my adolescence. It made the quality of my life a lot better, it raised my self-esteem, and it helped me to develop closer relationships with people. Then, as soon as I became sober, it was back to my miserable life. I felt that being high was the way that people were supposed to feel. Overtime, I developed a need to be high all the time and I lost control of it.

Capitalism, and other factors, makes people's lives so miserable, that they turn to mind-altering chemicals in order to find some semblance of happiness. Being that these feelings are temporary, they want more of the chemical in order to stay sane.
Thanks from Kipper

Last edited by Gordy; October 6th, 2015 at 09:53 AM.
Gordy is offline  
Old October 6th, 2015, 09:57 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 10,463
Pot is a wonder drug that only lasts four hours when smoked, eating pot brownies is a stronger high that lasts longer because THC binds to the fat molecules in the brownies. Pot has not been shown to cause any kind of cancer and helps people cope. Don't drive when high.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old October 6th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #3
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
I don't believe you can be addicted to drugs. A drug, by itself, is not addictive. The first time you try alcohol, you don't become an alcoholic. In the same breath, the first time you smoke a blunt, you don't become a pothead. What is addictive, however, is the feeling you get from doing drugs. Getting high gives people something they are missing in their lives.

For example, I've been struggling with a weed problem. When I first started smoking, I wasn't hooked immediately. Getting high relieved the depression and anxiety issues that I've suffered from since my adolescence. It made the quality of my life a lot better, it raised my self-esteem, and it helped me to develop closer relationships with people. Then, as soon as I became sober, it was back to my miserable life. I felt that being high was the way that people were supposed to feel. Overtime, I developed a need to be high all the time and I lost control of it.

Capitalism, and other factors, makes people's lives so miserable, that they turn to mind-altering chemicals in order to find some semblance of happiness. Being that these feelings are temporary, they want more of the chemical in order to stay sane.
Some drugs like booze and dope can become physically addictive and have very painful if not deadly withdrawals.
Sabcat is offline  
Old October 6th, 2015, 10:08 AM   #4
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: LA LA Land North
Posts: 25,805
At a cocktail party Mrs. RNG dragged me to some years ago, I ended up surprising myself by having a good time. I got into a discussion with a psychologist who was studying addictions. This is a distillation of what he told me.

There are two parts to an addiction, the enjoyable mental high, and a physiological dependence. The high is self explanatory. The physiological dependence is the very negative mental and in some cases physical symptoms that occur when the drug is withheld.

Even coffee has some of the physiological component. When I was hospitalized for an operation, the nurse asked me if I required a caffeine pill to prevent withdrawal headaches. And cigarette withdrawal causes mild fever, capillary dilation or constriction, I can't remember which and I think something else. But for smoking and coffee, these are mild and short term. The desire for the mental high lasts much longer.

I am not aware of even such mild physiological effects with pot, but obviously the mental high is real.

Then there are the the opiates. Heroin addiction for sure causes severe withdrawal symptoms and they last for a while. And the high is higher so the want is deeper. Opiates also have the unfortunate characteristic of requiring continually increasing doses to achieve the high and/or to prevent withdrawal symptoms.

This guy wasn't sure where cocaine fit into this. My personal experience of knowing several "weekend coke sniffers" who have done so for decades suggest it may not be so bad, or perhaps there is just a great variance in people's reactions towards it, like with alcohol.

And all this was before the manufactured stuff like PCP et al.

So you are partly right, Gordy, but that is far from the whole story, and your conclusion that it is all capitalism's fault is questionable to my mind.

A good friend of mine often said it is more important that you are happy with what you do than that you do what makes you happy. And I think that should be applied to a lot of situations.
RNG is offline  
Old October 6th, 2015, 10:12 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
skews13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: nirvana
Posts: 8,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
I don't believe you can be addicted to drugs. A drug, by itself, is not addictive. The first time you try alcohol, you don't become an alcoholic. In the same breath, the first time you smoke a blunt, you don't become a pothead. What is addictive, however, is the feeling you get from doing drugs. Getting high gives people something they are missing in their lives.

For example, I've been struggling with a weed problem. When I first started smoking, I wasn't hooked immediately. Getting high relieved the depression and anxiety issues that I've suffered from since my adolescence. It made the quality of my life a lot better, it raised my self-esteem, and it helped me to develop closer relationships with people. Then, as soon as I became sober, it was back to my miserable life. I felt that being high was the way that people were supposed to feel. Overtime, I developed a need to be high all the time and I lost control of it.

Capitalism, and other factors, makes people's lives so miserable, that they turn to mind-altering chemicals in order to find some semblance of happiness. Being that these feelings are temporary, they want more of the chemical in order to stay sane.
Well then you're going to really love this story.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...S99GbRs8vBuv8w
skews13 is offline  
Old October 6th, 2015, 10:12 AM   #6
Celebrating diversity
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 21,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
At a cocktail party Mrs. RNG dragged me to some years ago, I ended up surprising myself by having a good time. I got into a discussion with a psychologist who was studying addictions. This is a distillation of what he told me.

There are two parts to an addiction, the enjoyable mental high, and a physiological dependence. The high is self explanatory. The physiological dependence is the very negative mental and in some cases physical symptoms that occur when the drug is withheld.

Even coffee has some of the physiological component. When I was hospitalized for an operation, the nurse asked me if I required a caffeine pill to prevent withdrawal headaches. And cigarette withdrawal causes mild fever, capillary dilation or constriction, I can't remember which and I think something else. But for smoking and coffee, these are mild and short term. The desire for the mental high lasts much longer.

I am not aware of even such mild physiological effects with pot, but obviously the mental high is real.

Then there are the the opiates. Heroin addiction for sure causes severe withdrawal symptoms and they last for a while. And the high is higher so the want is deeper. Opiates also have the unfortunate characteristic of requiring continually increasing doses to achieve the high and/or to prevent withdrawal symptoms.

This guy wasn't sure where cocaine fit into this. My personal experience of knowing several "weekend coke sniffers" who have done so for decades suggest it may not be so bad, or perhaps there is just a great variance in people's reactions towards it, like with alcohol.

And all this was before the manufactured stuff like PCP et al.

So you are partly right, Gordy, but that is far from the whole story, and your conclusion that it is all capitalism's fault is questionable to my mind.

A good friend of mine often said it is more important that you are happy with what you do than that you do what makes you happy. And I think that should be applied to a lot of situations.

I had no severe physical withdrawals from years of coke.
Sabcat is offline  
Old October 6th, 2015, 10:17 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 10,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
At a cocktail party Mrs. RNG dragged me to some years ago, I ended up surprising myself by having a good time. I got into a discussion with a psychologist who was studying addictions. This is a distillation of what he told me.

There are two parts to an addiction, the enjoyable mental high, and a physiological dependence. The high is self explanatory. The physiological dependence is the very negative mental and in some cases physical symptoms that occur when the drug is withheld.

Even coffee has some of the physiological component. When I was hospitalized for an operation, the nurse asked me if I required a caffeine pill to prevent withdrawal headaches. And cigarette withdrawal causes mild fever, capillary dilation or constriction, I can't remember which and I think something else. But for smoking and coffee, these are mild and short term. The desire for the mental high lasts much longer.

I am not aware of even such mild physiological effects with pot, but obviously the mental high is real.

Then there are the the opiates. Heroin addiction for sure causes severe withdrawal symptoms and they last for a while. And the high is higher so the want is deeper. Opiates also have the unfortunate characteristic of requiring continually increasing doses to achieve the high and/or to prevent withdrawal symptoms.

This guy wasn't sure where cocaine fit into this. My personal experience of knowing several "weekend coke sniffers" who have done so for decades suggest it may not be so bad, or perhaps there is just a great variance in people's reactions towards it, like with alcohol.

And all this was before the manufactured stuff like PCP et al.

So you are partly right, Gordy, but that is far from the whole story, and your conclusion that it is all capitalism's fault is questionable to my mind.

A good friend of mine often said it is more important that you are happy with what you do than that you do what makes you happy. And I think that should be applied to a lot of situations.
And I thought I have a good long term memory, your long term memory is acute and perfectly intact to remember the conversation verbatim.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old October 6th, 2015, 10:24 AM   #8
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: LA LA Land North
Posts: 25,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Sister View Post
And I thought I have a good long term memory, your long term memory is acute and perfectly intact to remember the conversation verbatim.
And where did I claim that was verbatim?

Are you so desperate to up your post count you have to clutter up the board with meaningless crap?
RNG is offline  
Old October 6th, 2015, 10:27 AM   #9
The Token Black Guy
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MD
Posts: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
At a cocktail party Mrs. RNG dragged me to some years ago, I ended up surprising myself by having a good time. I got into a discussion with a psychologist who was studying addictions. This is a distillation of what he told me.

There are two parts to an addiction, the enjoyable mental high, and a physiological dependence. The high is self explanatory. The physiological dependence is the very negative mental and in some cases physical symptoms that occur when the drug is withheld.

Even coffee has some of the physiological component. When I was hospitalized for an operation, the nurse asked me if I required a caffeine pill to prevent withdrawal headaches. And cigarette withdrawal causes mild fever, capillary dilation or constriction, I can't remember which and I think something else. But for smoking and coffee, these are mild and short term. The desire for the mental high lasts much longer.

I am not aware of even such mild physiological effects with pot, but obviously the mental high is real.

Then there are the the opiates. Heroin addiction for sure causes severe withdrawal symptoms and they last for a while. And the high is higher so the want is deeper. Opiates also have the unfortunate characteristic of requiring continually increasing doses to achieve the high and/or to prevent withdrawal symptoms.

This guy wasn't sure where cocaine fit into this. My personal experience of knowing several "weekend coke sniffers" who have done so for decades suggest it may not be so bad, or perhaps there is just a great variance in people's reactions towards it, like with alcohol.

And all this was before the manufactured stuff like PCP et al.

So you are partly right, Gordy, but that is far from the whole story, and your conclusion that it is all capitalism's fault is questionable to my mind.

A good friend of mine often said it is more important that you are happy with what you do than that you do what makes you happy. And I think that should be applied to a lot of situations.
The heroin addicts that I've known of say that the high is so incredible that they have no other choice but to become addicted to it.

To expand on my point about capitalism: the pressure to get and keep a job, the pressure to not be broke, etc. can literally make people insane. Especially when they are unable to meet society's standards. If I can go even further, most of these spree killers did the things that they did because they were pushed by the pressures of American society to the point of snapping and reacting violently. So yes, I do blame capitalism for drug addiction and mental illness.

Last edited by Gordy; October 6th, 2015 at 10:42 AM.
Gordy is offline  
Old October 6th, 2015, 10:32 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA TN
Posts: 10,288
the only drugs that cause severe, sometimes dangerous withdrawals are opiates, benzos and alcohol which is basically liquid benzos..
weed and coke don't cause the physical dependence these drugs do..
kbear is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Drugs, Alcohol, Tobacco

Tags
addiction, drug, theory



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Presidential Proclamation -- National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month, 2014 The White House The White House 0 August 29th, 2014 01:40 PM
Presidential Proclamation-- National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month, 2013 The White House The White House 0 August 30th, 2013 01:40 PM
How to Quit Drug Addiction lillywilliam Drugs, Alcohol, Tobacco 29 February 1st, 2010 10:29 PM
A Drug to end Drug addiction onthefence Drugs, Alcohol, Tobacco 1 January 16th, 2008 08:43 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.