Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Drugs, Alcohol, Tobacco

Drugs, Alcohol, Tobacco For political topics and discussions about drugs, alcohol, and tobacco


Thanks Tree11Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2017, 01:37 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,237
Alcoholism is better than illegal drugs from Cuba for one example complex!!
McCoy is offline  
Old July 2nd, 2017, 02:20 PM   #12
The Posters of Meh
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Texas
Posts: 4,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Give an average person six beers and another four hits, and you tell me who you'd rather have driving.

That's experience talking, btw.

Alcohol makes people stupid, and do stupid things. Our culture owes many of its worst characteristics to alcohol consumption.
What I don't understand is why alcohol isn't under the same level of scrutiny as pot or tobacco products. Neither of which can buy ad time in this country like alcohol companies can. In which... Smoking pot is finally starting to gain Mainstream support across the country, while smoking and tobacco is the only one targeted negatively by social groups.

None of this makes any sense.
Panther is offline  
Old July 2nd, 2017, 02:23 PM   #13
Have you seen my Iguana
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 22,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
What I don't understand is why alcohol isn't under the same level of scrutiny as pot or tobacco products. Neither of which can buy ad time in this country like alcohol companies can. In which... Smoking pot is finally starting to gain Mainstream support across the country, while smoking and tobacco is the only one targeted negatively by social groups.

None of this makes any sense.
Because booze has been entwined w/ western society from the beginning.
Sabcat is online now  
Old July 2nd, 2017, 02:30 PM   #14
The Posters of Meh
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Texas
Posts: 4,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
Because booze has been entwined w/ western society from the beginning.
Couldn't the same be said for tobacco and pot, especially here in the US?
Thanks from McCoy
Panther is offline  
Old July 2nd, 2017, 03:02 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
Because booze has been entwined w/ western society from the beginning.
England for over 700 or 800 ages back the beer where from in Robin Hood or after Robin Hood era.

McCoy is offline  
Old July 2nd, 2017, 04:03 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 19,482
Texting while driving is far more dangerous than driving while drunk or stoned.
Hollywood is offline  
Old July 2nd, 2017, 07:12 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,237
Alcohol is nearly heavier than drug macaque. Been big drunk is dangerous.
McCoy is offline  
Old October 22nd, 2017, 08:48 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: California
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by coke View Post
Its a start. But its not fair that the DUI for pot is less extreme for alcohol. Needs to be even
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
A drunk driver is more dangerous by a big margin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coke View Post
Unless of course the drunk is the guy who drinks 12 beers every day at the bar and drives home. His tolerance is built up. But, that does not count either. Nope, sorry. Agree to disagree. I think pot should be legal. But it should not be given a free pass just because you think or joe thinks or whoever thinks they are in more control with pot than booze. Your high on drugs or booze you dont drive. Equal punishment for all.
That's both silly and stupid.

They are entirely different things.

No false equivalencies please.

Alcohol is a strong central nervous system depressant that definitely causes impairment to coordination and judgement that gets worse and worse as more drinks are consumed. People get louder, more aggressive and more combative. And they drive like complete idiots. Drunks almost never can accurately judge their own degree of impairment so they decide they can handle driving drunk....and then they kil other people or themselves. There are mountains of evidence linking drinking alcohol and driving to large increases in fatal auto accidents and serious injuries.

Pot is a comparatively gentle herbal euphoriant that makes people feel good (usually) but it causes very little or no impairment if you are smoking it, even in activities like driving - (eating it is a very different story, BTW, and I would favor laws restricting driving after eating pot...it should be easier to detect too). Studies in Europe showed stoned people tended to drive a bit slower and more carefully, if anything, because stoners are generally quite aware of exactly how stoned they are feeling. There is no real solid evidence that driving stoned causes more car accidents, and with a lot more people getting stoned now, there would have been an obvious increase in the accident rate if pot was causing problems.

There is no good reason to treat pot smokers exactly like drinkers. They are not the same, no matter what prejudices and myths you've picked up from all of the official "anti-drug" propaganda about pot that was pushed for so long.

Last edited by Ahgho Boogheroff; October 22nd, 2017 at 08:51 PM.
Ahgho Boogheroff is offline  
Old October 22nd, 2017, 09:52 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: in that one house at that location over there
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahgho Boogheroff View Post
That's both silly and stupid.

They are entirely different things.

No false equivalencies please.

Alcohol is a strong central nervous system depressant that definitely causes impairment to coordination and judgement that gets worse and worse as more drinks are consumed. People get louder, more aggressive and more combative. And they drive like complete idiots. Drunks almost never can accurately judge their own degree of impairment so they decide they can handle driving drunk....and then they kil other people or themselves. There are mountains of evidence linking drinking alcohol and driving to large increases in fatal auto accidents and serious injuries.

Pot is a comparatively gentle herbal euphoriant that makes people feel good (usually) but it causes very little or no impairment if you are smoking it, even in activities like driving - (eating it is a very different story, BTW, and I would favor laws restricting driving after eating pot...it should be easier to detect too). Studies in Europe showed stoned people tended to drive a bit slower and more carefully, if anything, because stoners are generally quite aware of exactly how stoned they are feeling. There is no real solid evidence that driving stoned causes more car accidents, and with a lot more people getting stoned now, there would have been an obvious increase in the accident rate if pot was causing problems.

There is no good reason to treat pot smokers exactly like drinkers. They are not the same, no matter what prejudices and myths you've picked up from all of the official "anti-drug" propaganda about pot that was pushed for so long.
After reading on this thread some, I have to ask you this. Would you be comfortable with your airline pilot smoking a bowl on the taxi line with the co-pilot?
How about the train engineer?
How about the Ships pilot?

I dont doubt that alcohol interacts with motor skills different than pot but a false sense of euphoria is what they both bring. Also, how much pot compared to alcohol? How much pot was used in whatever tests your going to bring up? What was the measurable amount? You dont know and neither do I. But we have a measure for alcohol.

Quote:
In the review, researchers revealed that people who used marijuana had differences in some parts of the brain labeled as the corticostriatal networks compared to people who does not use it. The areas are linked to control and motor learning. Also, according to the studies that are included in the review, it can also affect people's memory, ability to switch between tasks and the reaction time.
Cannabis News: How Marijuana Reacts In The Brain's Motor Skills And Coordination; Study : Health & Medicine : Science World Report

I do not understand why it would be a debate about driving drunk or stoned. Lets not do either one and other than that to each their own when it comes to their form of recreational habits.
guy39 is offline  
Old October 22nd, 2017, 11:04 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
imaginethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 56,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy39 View Post
After reading on this thread some, I have to ask you this. Would you be comfortable with your airline pilot smoking a bowl on the taxi line with the co-pilot?
How about the train engineer?
How about the Ships pilot?

I dont doubt that alcohol interacts with motor skills different than pot but a false sense of euphoria is what they both bring. Also, how much pot compared to alcohol? How much pot was used in whatever tests your going to bring up? What was the measurable amount? You dont know and neither do I. But we have a measure for alcohol.


Cannabis News: How Marijuana Reacts In The Brain's Motor Skills And Coordination; Study : Health & Medicine : Science World Report

I do not understand why it would be a debate about driving drunk or stoned. Lets not do either one and other than that to each their own when it comes to their form of recreational habits.
I'm not advocating for driving, flying, boating, or engineering the choo-choo after using cannabis. I've watched people using cannabis and have used it for half a century. I've never had a friend tell me about the accident they had because they were too high on cannabis. Anecdotal, I understand.

In skiing, I advanced into the 0.1 percent category. My buddies and I would share a bowl at the top of truly death defying runs at least 90 percent of the times. I skied with a group of locals who were big on the backcountry and on form. We liked to look good and we did. Carry forward the 90 percent figure.

Cannabis, for some people, seems to improve perception including unconscious perception, by filtering out the mind's background noise. As well, it helps some people to coordinate rapid physical movements with the always varying terrain and snow conditions. Skiing.
Thanks from RNG and Hollywood
imaginethat is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Drugs, Alcohol, Tobacco

Tags
great, proposal



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New privilege tax proposal Sabcat Current Events 17 November 16th, 2015 09:12 AM
A bad proposal roastpork Current Events 4 February 25th, 2015 12:36 AM
Best Marriage Proposal Ever! tristanrobin Gay and Lesbian Rights 4 September 13th, 2013 06:47 AM
The Great Leap Forward [THE GREAT MARCH BACKWARDS] falcondule Civil Rights 1 September 3rd, 2013 03:21 PM
Pineapple And Great Great Great Granddaddy Say Howdy! PINEAPPLE Gay and Lesbian Rights 34 February 27th, 2007 07:18 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.