Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Money and Finance > Economics


Thanks Tree88Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2017, 10:13 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,060
Capitalism Benefits the Common Man

There are some arguments so illogical that only an intellectual or politician can believe them. One of those arguments is: capitalism benefits the rich more than it benefits the common man.
Let's look at it.

The rich have always had access to entertainment, and some times in the comfort of their palaces and mansions. The rich have never had to experience the drudgery of having to beat out carpets, iron their clothing or slave over a hot stove all day in order to have a decent dinner; they could afford to hire people. Today, the common man has the power to enjoy much of what only the rich could yesteryear. Capitalism's mass production have made radios and televisions, vacuum cleaners, wash-and-wear clothing and microwave ovens available and well within the reach of the common man; thus, sparing him of the drudgery of the past.

What about those who became wealthy making comforts available to the common man? Henry Ford benefitted immensely from mass producing automobiles but the benefit for the common man, from being able to buy a car, dwarfs anything Ford received. Individual discovers and companies who produced penicillin, polio and typhoid vaccines may have become wealthy but again it was the common man who was the major beneficiary. In more recent times, computers and software products have impacted our health, safety and life quality in a way that dwarfs the wealth received by their creators.

Here's a little test. Stand on the corner and watch people walk or drive by. Then, based on their appearances, identify which persons are wealthy. Years ago, it wouldn't have been that hard.
The ordinary person wouldn't be dressed as well, surely not wearing designer clothing, nor would they have nice looking jewellery plus, they wouldn't be driving by. Compare the income status of today's airline passengers with those of yesterday; you'll find a greater percentage of ordinary people.

That's one of the great benefits of capitalism; it has made it possible for common people to enjoy at least some of what wealthy people enjoy. You say, "Williams, common people don't have access to Rolls Royces and yachts!" You're wrong. Microsoft's Bill Gates is super-rich and can afford to ride in a Rolls Royce and go yachting sailing; so can Williams - just not as long. I can rent a Rolls or a yacht for a day, half-day or an hour.

Capitalism is relatively new in human history. Prior to capitalism, the way people amassed great wealth was by looting, plundering and enslaving their fellow man. Capitalism made it possible to become wealthy by serving your fellow man. Capitalists seek to find what people want and produce and market it as efficiently as possible. Here's a question for us: are people who by their actions create unprecedented convenience, longer life expectancy and more fun available to the ordinary person, and become wealthy in the process, deserving of all the scorn and ridicule heaped upon them by intellectuals and politicians? Are the wealthy obliged to "give something back?" For example, what more do the wealthy discoverers and producers of life-saving antibiotics owe us? They've already saved lives and made us healthier.

Despite the miracles of capitalism, it doesn't do well in popularity polls. One of the reasons is that capitalism is always evaluated against the non-existent utopias of socialism or communism. Any earthly system pales in comparison to utopias. But for the ordinary person, capitalism, with all of its warts, is superior to any system yet devised to deal with our everyday needs and desires.

Walter E. Williams
Economist
Thanks from gmeyers1944, webguy4, coke and 1 others
sumara is offline  
Old March 24th, 2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 10,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumara View Post
There are some arguments so illogical that only an intellectual or politician can believe them. One of those arguments is: capitalism benefits the rich more than it benefits the common man.
Let's look at it.

The rich have always had access to entertainment, and some times in the comfort of their palaces and mansions. The rich have never had to experience the drudgery of having to beat out carpets, iron their clothing or slave over a hot stove all day in order to have a decent dinner; they could afford to hire people. Today, the common man has the power to enjoy much of what only the rich could yesteryear. Capitalism's mass production have made radios and televisions, vacuum cleaners, wash-and-wear clothing and microwave ovens available and well within the reach of the common man; thus, sparing him of the drudgery of the past.

What about those who became wealthy making comforts available to the common man? Henry Ford benefitted immensely from mass producing automobiles but the benefit for the common man, from being able to buy a car, dwarfs anything Ford received. Individual discovers and companies who produced penicillin, polio and typhoid vaccines may have become wealthy but again it was the common man who was the major beneficiary. In more recent times, computers and software products have impacted our health, safety and life quality in a way that dwarfs the wealth received by their creators.

Here's a little test. Stand on the corner and watch people walk or drive by. Then, based on their appearances, identify which persons are wealthy. Years ago, it wouldn't have been that hard.
The ordinary person wouldn't be dressed as well, surely not wearing designer clothing, nor would they have nice looking jewellery plus, they wouldn't be driving by. Compare the income status of today's airline passengers with those of yesterday; you'll find a greater percentage of ordinary people.

That's one of the great benefits of capitalism; it has made it possible for common people to enjoy at least some of what wealthy people enjoy. You say, "Williams, common people don't have access to Rolls Royces and yachts!" You're wrong. Microsoft's Bill Gates is super-rich and can afford to ride in a Rolls Royce and go yachting sailing; so can Williams - just not as long. I can rent a Rolls or a yacht for a day, half-day or an hour.

Capitalism is relatively new in human history. Prior to capitalism, the way people amassed great wealth was by looting, plundering and enslaving their fellow man. Capitalism made it possible to become wealthy by serving your fellow man. Capitalists seek to find what people want and produce and market it as efficiently as possible. Here's a question for us: are people who by their actions create unprecedented convenience, longer life expectancy and more fun available to the ordinary person, and become wealthy in the process, deserving of all the scorn and ridicule heaped upon them by intellectuals and politicians? Are the wealthy obliged to "give something back?" For example, what more do the wealthy discoverers and producers of life-saving antibiotics owe us? They've already saved lives and made us healthier.

Despite the miracles of capitalism, it doesn't do well in popularity polls. One of the reasons is that capitalism is always evaluated against the non-existent utopias of socialism or communism. Any earthly system pales in comparison to utopias. But for the ordinary person, capitalism, with all of its warts, is superior to any system yet devised to deal with our everyday needs and desires.

Walter E. Williams
Economist
All arguments are moot.
Twisted Sister, Country Squire
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old March 24th, 2017, 10:49 AM   #3
Mayor of Realville
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,419
In my life time , for the first time in the history of the world, most of the worlds population does not live in abject poverty. This is entirely due to the spread of capitalism.
Thanks from Sabcat, coke and Twisted Sister
webguy4 is offline  
Old March 24th, 2017, 10:53 AM   #4
forgot my old user name
 
right to left's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Sister View Post
All arguments are moot.
Twisted Sister, Country Squire
Leave it to Uncle Tom Williams to keep on carrying water for massa regardless of the issue!
Capitalism benefits the common man as long as the common man as enough money to take advantage of those benefits; otherwise....enjoy your new home under a bridge somewhere.
Thanks from Hollywood and Daws77
right to left is offline  
Old March 24th, 2017, 11:04 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 10,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
In my life time , for the first time in the history of the world, most of the worlds population does not live in abject poverty. This is entirely due to the spread of capitalism.
With a little help from Adam Smith.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old March 25th, 2017, 06:23 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
BubbaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 5,849
Pure unregulated capitalism serves only the rich. It does not serve the common man. Just look at the early industrial revolution. 12, 14, 16 hour days, 6 and sometimes 7 days a week and it still took the whole family, even the children, working just to exist. No safety regulations, no pollution regulations. If the job was making you, sick not their problem. Got hurt on the job, not their problem. They would send you home and hire the next guy that stepped off the latest boat from Europe. Henry Ford's workers could NOT afford to buy a car.

Capitalism is a good thing, but it has to be regulated. Left to it's own devices, it's as mean and nasty as any other social construct.
BubbaJones is offline  
Old March 25th, 2017, 06:48 AM   #7
Banned
 
coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: nunya
Posts: 12,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by right to left View Post
Leave it to Uncle Tom Williams to keep on carrying water for massa regardless of the issue!
Capitalism benefits the common man as long as the common man as enough money to take advantage of those benefits; otherwise....enjoy your new home under a bridge somewhere.
Capitalism creates slaves, as opposed to a system that requires a bureaucracy to decide each according to their need. Or, a vote to decide on what the fruits of your labor is. Either way Communism/Socialism does not allow self determination by the individual.
Thanks from Sabcat
coke is offline  
Old March 25th, 2017, 07:00 AM   #8
Mayor of Realville
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by coke View Post
Capitalism creates slaves, as opposed to a system that requires a bureaucracy to decide each according to their need. Or, a vote to decide on what the fruits of your labor is. Either way Communism/Socialism does not allow self determination by the individual.
Capitalism only creates slaves by regulation
Thanks from Sabcat and coke
webguy4 is offline  
Old March 25th, 2017, 07:11 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 17,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
Capitalism only creates slaves by regulation
Total and complete bullshit and you SHOULD be bright enough to know that.
The SLAVE trade was a capitalist enterprise, literally.
Thanks from Clara007

Last edited by Hollywood; March 25th, 2017 at 07:12 AM. Reason: typo
Hollywood is offline  
Old March 25th, 2017, 07:30 AM   #10
Banned
 
Daws77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: California
Posts: 7,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Total and complete bullshit and you SHOULD be bright enough to know that.
The SLAVE trade was a capitalist enterprise, literally.
He's not that bright.
Daws77 is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Money and Finance > Economics

Tags
benefits, capitalism, common, man



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The failure of Capitalism goober Healthcare 51 September 3rd, 2016 09:27 PM
Capitalism! coke Current Events 27 October 12th, 2015 10:15 AM
Capitalism. Sabcat The White House 1 February 15th, 2014 04:56 AM
Is Capitalism bad? Danjb25 Current Events 16 November 21st, 2012 07:47 AM
Capitalism's New Era imaginethat Money and Finance 87 September 9th, 2011 07:46 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.