Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Money and Finance > Economics


Thanks Tree37Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2017, 03:50 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
I did attend college. had I followed the advice of my councilors I would have ended up as a professor. Not that that is relevant.

Tenure is very relevant when talking about people going into the education system as a career. You do not think so?


Had you followed the advice of your *counselors*, you MIGHT be able to SPELL the word *COUNSELORS*.

You have an inquiring mind so it doesn't surprise me that you received that advice. Surely, you looked into the professorial profession and if so then you already know what it takes to be granted tenure, but let me review it with you.

Start with a PhD which takes approximately 8 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Add another 6-7 years of research, publishing peer-reviewed articles AND a book. Include dozens of conferences all over the country, speaking engagements and chairing academic committees. Finally, after checking all the boxes required, your tenure-track needs to be reviewed by your university department colleagues and chair. At that point it moves on to the university president and the regents. THEN and only IF THEY LIKE WHAT THEY see--how you dress--how you live--how you teach and how you interact with others your tenure will be granted.
I hope that helps you...and now, I suppose you have something insulting to say??
Thanks from tristanrobin
Clara007 is online now  
Old September 19th, 2017, 03:54 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
Those that can, do. Those that cannot...teach.


Someone taught you, Sabcat. IN fact, several someones who (according to you) cannot teach, DID teach you.

Were you as nasty then as you are now?? If so, those "someones" deserve a world of praise. I sincerely doubt that you ever thanked them.
Thanks from tristanrobin
Clara007 is online now  
Old September 19th, 2017, 04:02 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 23,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
Those that can, do. Those that cannot...teach.
oh, bullshit

a woman who is a professor here at Yale just won the Tony award for the Best Play of the Year - and has previously won the Pulitzer Prize.

you don't have a clue what you're yammering about.

I worked steadily in the theatre for fifty years, all the while teaching.

edited to add: not to mention the number of high-profile lawyers who teach!
Thanks from Clara007
tristanrobin is offline  
Old September 19th, 2017, 04:03 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 10,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
Those that can, do. Those that cannot...teach.
That's a slogan.
It's funny, not very accurate, but funny, because it plays with words.

And left out the last part.

Those that can do,
Those that can't, teach,
Those that can't teach, coach...
Thanks from Clara007
goober is offline  
Old September 19th, 2017, 04:07 PM   #15
Put some ice on that
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 26,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
Had you followed the advice of your *counselors*, you MIGHT be able to SPELL the word *COUNSELORS*.

You have an inquiring mind so it doesn't surprise me that you received that advice. Surely, you looked into the professorial profession and if so then you already know what it takes to be granted tenure, but let me review it with you.

Start with a PhD which takes approximately 8 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Add another 6-7 years of research, publishing peer-reviewed articles AND a book. Include dozens of conferences all over the country, speaking engagements and chairing academic committees. Finally, after checking all the boxes required, your tenure-track needs to be reviewed by your university department colleagues and chair. At that point it moves on to the university president and the regents. THEN and only IF THEY LIKE WHAT THEY see--how you dress--how you live--how you teach and how you interact with others your tenure will be granted.
I hope that helps you...and now, I suppose you have something insulting to say??
Depends on what you find insulting I guess.

Tenure lies in in the hands of a group that has in its best intrests to keep the intellectual temp. Of the institution the same.
Sabcat is offline  
Old September 19th, 2017, 04:12 PM   #16
Put some ice on that
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 26,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
Someone taught you, Sabcat. IN fact, several someones who (according to you) cannot teach, DID teach you.

Were you as nasty then as you are now?? If so, those "someones" deserve a world of praise. I sincerely doubt that you ever thanked them.

I am extremely calm in comparison. We were just talking about this last night.

The librarians and my mentors. Definitely. The union shills in k-12. No. I most definitely have not. I have to constantly hear about the miseducation that these dopes are tossing at my kids to this day. Not all of them, mind you but my god is there a lot.
Sabcat is offline  
Old September 19th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Clara007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabcat View Post
Depends on what you find insulting I guess.

Tenure lies in in the hands of a group that has in its best intrests to keep the intellectual temp. Of the institution the same.


What is it that really pisses you off about tenure? Tenure lies in the hands of a group who have put years and years of study, research and commitment into their particular area. Tenure lies in the hands of those whose research, development and knowledge have led others to greatness. Tenure lies in the hands of those whose medical, technological, historical, & scientific knowledge creates life-changing opportunities for every American. Tenure lies in the hands of those who inspire others and change the world.

The people who excel in the study biology, genetics, molecular science, computer programing, stem cell research and much more are the people with PhDs and tenure. It is their research and influence that will move this nation into the next few decades and MAY save YOUR life or the lives of those you love.

Last edited by Clara007; September 19th, 2017 at 05:12 PM.
Clara007 is online now  
Old September 19th, 2017, 05:21 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 11,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
What is it that really pisses you off about tenure? Tenure lies in the hands of a group who have put years and years of study, research and commitment into their particular area. Tenure lies in the hands of those whose research, development and knowledge have led others to greatness. Tenure lies in the hands of those whose medical, technological, historical, & scientific knowledge creates life-changing opportunities for every American. Tenure lies in the hands of those who inspire others and change the world.

The people who excel in the study biology, genetics, molecular science, computer programing, stem cell research and much more are the people with PhDs and tenure. It is their research and influence that will move this nation into the next few decades and MAY save YOUR life or the lives of those you love.
Tenure is the same as a get out of jail free card. I come from a family of educators who got Tenure. I once was a Navy Instructor where Tenure is nonexistent. Banish Tenure!
Thanks from Sabcat
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old September 19th, 2017, 06:13 PM   #19
Put some ice on that
 
Sabcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 26,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
What is it that really pisses you off about tenure? Tenure lies in the hands of a group who have put years and years of study, research and commitment into their particular area. Tenure lies in the hands of those whose research, development and knowledge have led others to greatness. Tenure lies in the hands of those whose medical, technological, historical, & scientific knowledge creates life-changing opportunities for every American. Tenure lies in the hands of those who inspire others and change the world.

The people who excel in the study biology, genetics, molecular science, computer programing, stem cell research and much more are the people with PhDs and tenure. It is their research and influence that will move this nation into the next few decades and MAY save YOUR life or the lives of those you love.


There is a lot that "pisses me off about tenure" but most of it does not really apply to this conversatio.


I understand where you are coming from and I am not saying that there was some sort of nefarious plot to create an echo chamber just that is what organically happened. It is natural for humans to want to surround and support other people w/ similar beliefs and ideals. Over generations of promoting these like minded ideals, mentors and protégés exc. this has occurred. This is a major contributing factor in the lopsideded leftist representation amongst educators. Add that into the mix w/ a major difference between libertarian leaning people and todays American liberals is collectivist vs individualist, whereas an individualist is sure to ruffle feathers. Enough feathers ruffled will ensure that tenure is achieved.
Sabcat is offline  
Old September 19th, 2017, 06:31 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Posts: 21,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanrobin View Post
oh, bullshit

a woman who is a professor here at Yale just won the Tony award for the Best Play of the Year - and has previously won the Pulitzer Prize.

you don't have a clue what you're yammering about.

I worked steadily in the theatre for fifty years, all the while teaching.

edited to add: not to mention the number of high-profile lawyers who teach!
The highly trained and skilled oncologist that saved my life also taught at the Washington University school of medicine.
Thanks from Clara007

Last edited by imaginethat; September 19th, 2017 at 06:40 PM.
Hollywood is online now  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Money and Finance > Economics

Tags
holding, liberals, standard



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rand Paul holding feet to the fire coke Current Events 0 November 24th, 2014 08:07 AM
Still holding hands after 700 years Skeletons found 'holding hands' after 700 intangible child Current Events 3 September 22nd, 2014 04:56 AM
Al-Qaida Holding Us Hostage In Pakistan garysher Current Events 4 December 1st, 2011 05:59 PM
Apple Holding More Cash Than Usa garysher Debt 22 August 1st, 2011 05:58 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.