Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Education

Education Educational System Forum - For topics and discussions about the educational system


View Poll Results: What is the difference between education and indoctrination?
Indoctrination is false, education is true. 0 0%
Indoctrination is when the student is expected not to question. 5 62.50%
Indoctrination concerns subjects without consensus. 2 25.00%
There is no difference. 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Thanks Tree2Thanks
  • 1 Post By TNVolunteer73
  • 1 Post By hoosier88
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Milky Way
Posts: 26
Education and indoctrination

What do you guys think is the difference between education and indoctrination? Is it that education is with true information and indoctrination is false? Is it that the student is expected not to question indoctrination? Is it that education concerns only subjects where there is consensus, such as science and mathematics, while indoctrination extends to subjects where there is no consensus, like Religion? Or is there no difference at all?

I say it's about questioning. The reasoning behind it is much the same as the logic behind my Anarchist principles: if you believe your beliefs are true (which obviously you do), it makes no sense not to try to convince people of them. Why would you let the population believe something you think is wrong, regardless of the consensus? I would say that you have an obligation to defend whatever you think is true provided you can do so through rational argument. That is why I deny the third option.
I deny the first option on the grounds that throwing a teapot into orbit around Mars, and then convincing all of humanity that it exists and expecting everyone to unquestioningly believe this unparsimonious doctrine despite that they cannot see it would still count as indoctrination.
Zealot is offline  
Old January 19th, 2014, 02:13 PM   #2
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 34,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
What do you guys think is the difference between education and indoctrination? Is it that education is with true information and indoctrination is false? Is it that the student is expected not to question indoctrination? Is it that education concerns only subjects where there is consensus, such as science and mathematics, while indoctrination extends to subjects where there is no consensus, like Religion? Or is there no difference at all?

I say it's about questioning. The reasoning behind it is much the same as the logic behind my Anarchist principles: if you believe your beliefs are true (which obviously you do), it makes no sense not to try to convince people of them. Why would you let the population believe something you think is wrong, regardless of the consensus? I would say that you have an obligation to defend whatever you think is true provided you can do so through rational argument. That is why I deny the third option.
I deny the first option on the grounds that throwing a teapot into orbit around Mars, and then convincing all of humanity that it exists and expecting everyone to unquestioningly believe this unparsimonious doctrine despite that they cannot see it would still count as indoctrination.
Indocrination is when only one side is provided.

Education is when all sides are debated, and the truth is discovered.
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old January 19th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Milky Way
Posts: 26
Quote:
Indocrination is when only one side is provided.

Education is when all sides are debated, and the truth is discovered.
So you agree with me?
Zealot is offline  
Old January 19th, 2014, 02:25 PM   #4
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 34,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
So you agree with me?
Maybe it is you that agree with me..

I have stated in many times with my conversation with Nwolfe I believe schools should follow the old Greek gymnasium model Where the mind and body is tested, after the model of Socrates.


Let faith, and science be debated. History and math and languages be valued as much as the athletic physical body is tested and made stronger

Greek motto of Gymnasium "Sound mind, Sound body"
Thanks from Zealot
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old January 19th, 2014, 03:17 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NM
Posts: 1,450
Open v. closed

Education is open-ended. The emphasis in on starting the student on a quest for meaning, wherever he or she may find/pursue it. Education attempts to impart language skills - reasoning, analysis, reading, writing, & etc. as tools for the student to use in the search.

Indoctrination attempts to impose a particular worldview upon the student - with no regard for whether there is any meaning in it for the student. Indoctrination is diametrically opposed to education - it is a negation of questioning & skepticism with regards to the World.
Thanks from TNVolunteer73
hoosier88 is offline  
Old January 19th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #6
Mayor of Realville
 
webguy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,521
"both sides" simplistic, some issues have many sides. some issues are clear cut. who decides? no easy answer.
webguy4 is offline  
Old January 19th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #7
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 34,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy4 View Post
"both sides" simplistic, some issues have many sides. some issues are clear cut. who decides? no easy answer.
Maybe it should be all sides.
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old January 19th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Milky Way
Posts: 26
Kinda surprised that 80% of votes agree with me. I'm usually 1 v. 100 on forums.
Zealot is offline  
Old January 19th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gamma Solaris
Posts: 22,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
Kinda surprised that 80% of votes agree with me. I'm usually 1 v. 100 on forums.
That's what being a zealot entails...
Tony is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Education

Tags
education, indoctrination



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CA: Tony Perkins Endorses the CLASS Act against homosexual indoctrination garysher Bullying 0 June 14th, 2012 02:05 PM
More Homosexual Indoctrination - Harvey Milk Day Coming to Your School May 22nd garysher Current Events 4 June 4th, 2012 11:58 AM
Texas State Board of Indoctrination tadpole256 Current Events 0 July 19th, 2010 01:37 PM
Far left at it again child indoctrination Zack Political Talk 5 September 25th, 2009 03:52 AM
Texas State Board of Indoctrination Freedom of Speech 0 December 31st, 1969 04:00 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.