Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Education

Education Educational System Forum - For topics and discussions about the educational system


Thanks Tree43Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2018, 06:47 AM   #81
Senior Member
 
KnightOfSappho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by senor boogie woogie View Post
I was in tenth grade taking a required class of English literature. A homework assignment we were given was to memorize a Shakespearan Sonnet. Now, you may ask, what is a sonnet? Well a sonnet is a 14 line poem written in 16th Century English. There are I think over two hundred of them. Here is an example....

"No, Time, thou shalt not boast that I do change:
Thy pyramids built up with newer might
To me are nothing novel, nothing strange;
They are but dressings of a former sight.
Our dates are brief, and therefore we admire
What thou dost foist upon us that is old;
And rather make them born to our desire
Than think that we before have heard them told.
Thy registers and thee I both defy,
Not wondering at the present nor the past,
For thy records and what we see doth lie,
Made more or less by thy continual haste.
This I do vow, and this shall ever be,
I will be true, despite thy scythe and thee."

Now, for myself, I had my first job, and was 15 or 16 years old enjoying my teenage years as much as possible, and doing average stuff kids did in 1983 (the Good Old Days, you had Ike, we had Ronnie).

So I half assed studied one, and on the due date, had to stand in front of class to recite it, and I forgot most of it and failed. But as I took my seat, I got really indignant and pissed off at WHY this assignment was given. I screamed at that teacher (a black woman who disliked her mostly white students whose ancestors were living in mud huts throwing spears at wild game when this shit was written) that this crap was written hundreds of years ago, doesn't matter and would not help me get a job. She said something back on the lines of how dare I and all that and threatened to send me to the office, so I backed down because I didn't want my parents to find out (and my dad would have agreed with me, but gotten punished for raising hell in class). English literature and literature in general was pointless. I know how to read. I read all the time. I read encyclopedias and shit. High school, even the horrid Detroit City Schools on Wayne and Shithole Avenue require people to be able to read.

But I made a point, and going to high school and college, there are a lot of worthless classes that students are forced to take. When I was in college as a business major, we had to take a year of science. Why? I ended up taking geology which consisted myself and a bunch of bored freshman to be in some ancient underground lab looking at dirty ass rocks and having to know which one is what. Another doozy was "Art History" which required the student to know painting, as in, who painted it, what year, what style, what country and the name. For again, business and public administration students. The college said it was to give a "well rounded" education, but to me, it is just to make them more money. High school is where you learn art and science, and you shouldn't have to take any more of it, unless art or science is your major!
Learning the basic skills of taking an assignment/instructions, completing said assignment and making a presentation might not get you a job, but it would help you KEEP a job.

Basically, you blamed the teacher giving you the assignment for the fact that you did not do the work assigned. An excellent way to NOT retain a job.
Thanks from RNG
KnightOfSappho is offline  
Old January 16th, 2018, 09:19 AM   #82
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 11,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightOfSappho View Post
Learning the basic skills of taking an assignment/instructions, completing said assignment and making a presentation might not get you a job, but it would help you KEEP a job.

Basically, you blamed the teacher giving you the assignment for the fact that you did not do the work assigned. An excellent way to NOT retain a job.
We all have to start somewhere and my first real job was on a hog farm when 15. Hogs can be vicious and if you can put up with them, you can put up with anything.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old January 16th, 2018, 09:39 AM   #83
Senior Member
 
KnightOfSappho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Sister View Post
We all have to start somewhere and my first real job was on a hog farm when 15. Hogs can be vicious and if you can put up with them, you can put up with anything.
Hogs don't like having their spaces rearranged (like mucking it out). They are very good at letting their displeasure be known.

That said, I would guess that listening to instruction kept you from being flattened in the pigpen more than once.
KnightOfSappho is offline  
Old January 16th, 2018, 09:48 AM   #84
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 11,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightOfSappho View Post
Hogs don't like having their spaces rearranged (like mucking it out). They are very good at letting their displeasure be known.

That said, I would guess that listening to instruction kept you from being flattened in the pigpen more than once.
These were free range hogs and we bedded the sows in the sow barn and bedded the boars in the boar barn. Our hogs always had clean straw and processed hog food to eat and clean water to drink. It saddened me when the pigs got sent to market but a new batch of pigs is on the way. Sheep are disgusting animals.

Last edited by Twisted Sister; January 16th, 2018 at 10:04 AM.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old January 16th, 2018, 09:57 AM   #85
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 30,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by senor boogie woogie View Post
<snip>

But I made a point, and going to high school and college, there are a lot of worthless classes that students are forced to take. When I was in college as a business major, we had to take a year of science. Why? I ended up taking geology which consisted myself and a bunch of bored freshman to be in some ancient underground lab looking at dirty ass rocks and having to know which one is what. Another doozy was "Art History" which required the student to know painting, as in, who painted it, what year, what style, what country and the name. For again, business and public administration students. The college said it was to give a "well rounded" education, but to me, it is just to make them more money. High school is where you learn art and science, and you shouldn't have to take any more of it, unless art or science is your major!
I will argue that had more people taken a geology course and actually learned it there might be less people believing pseudoscience related to a lot of things, particularly right now AGW and thus making stupid policy decisions that affect it.

Just one example of the benefits of a diverse education.
RNG is offline  
Old January 16th, 2018, 09:59 AM   #86
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 30,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightOfSappho View Post
Hogs don't like having their spaces rearranged (like mucking it out). They are very good at letting their displeasure be known.

That said, I would guess that listening to instruction kept you from being flattened in the pigpen more than once.
Welcome back, stranger.
Thanks from KnightOfSappho
RNG is offline  
Old January 16th, 2018, 10:13 AM   #87
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 11,891
Hogs don't like the cattle prod and have an extreme aversion to get their noses stapled to keep them from rooting.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Old January 16th, 2018, 01:24 PM   #88
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 36,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by segluary View Post
a mere bachelor's degree has meant nothing for 20 years now, other than as entre into some state or fed job requiring same. A master's degree can mean nothing, too, if it's not in a growing field, like med care.
That is not True, Nursing Degree is worth a lot, a Medical Technologist Degree is worth a lot, an Engineering degree is worth a lot, Degree in Military Science is worth a lot.

An undergraduate degree is in Sociology is pretty much worthless, for example.
Thanks from roastpork
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old January 22nd, 2018, 06:08 AM   #89
Senior Member
 
xMathFanx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
I think this may be a good thing. But as is so often the case, the devil is in the details.

More High School Grads Decide College Isn?t Worth It | FiveThirtyEight
I would submit learning a trade immediately following High School is perhaps the wisest course of action given the structure of the current system. Consider, acquiring a Trade skill is able to set a Young Adult up with a very solid income in a couple years time, the price of attendance (to a Trade School program or apprenticeship) is minute in comparison to typical College prices, the Trade Professions are (overwhelmingly) of absolute necessity to the healthy functioning of society (i.e. they become highly productive members of society), and (last but not least) a Young Adults brain does not develop fully for another half-decade or so after High School meaning they aren't ready to make the kind of decisions asked of them (e.g. chose a Major, invest $40,000-$100,000+ in debt) nor are they as mentally fit/capable of performing higher-order intellectual work that they will be in 5 years time (when their Frontal Lobes develop into maturity). Also, having a solid income to fall back on (as a personal "Safety Net") if they do decide to continue with Higher Education after learning a Trade by then in their low to mid twenties while having a much better idea of their interests and path they desire to pursue. Thus, they would properly be in such a position to think through and make such a huge life decision rather than rushing into it as society/cultural norms demand.
Thanks from Sabcat

Last edited by xMathFanx; January 22nd, 2018 at 06:10 AM.
xMathFanx is offline  
Old January 22nd, 2018, 12:26 PM   #90
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 11,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMathFanx View Post
I would submit learning a trade immediately following High School is perhaps the wisest course of action given the structure of the current system. Consider, acquiring a Trade skill is able to set a Young Adult up with a very solid income in a couple years time, the price of attendance (to a Trade School program or apprenticeship) is minute in comparison to typical College prices, the Trade Professions are (overwhelmingly) of absolute necessity to the healthy functioning of society (i.e. they become highly productive members of society), and (last but not least) a Young Adults brain does not develop fully for another half-decade or so after High School meaning they aren't ready to make the kind of decisions asked of them (e.g. chose a Major, invest $40,000-$100,000+ in debt) nor are they as mentally fit/capable of performing higher-order intellectual work that they will be in 5 years time (when their Frontal Lobes develop into maturity). Also, having a solid income to fall back on (as a personal "Safety Net") if they do decide to continue with Higher Education after learning a Trade by then in their low to mid twenties while having a much better idea of their interests and path they desire to pursue. Thus, they would properly be in such a position to think through and make such a huge life decision rather than rushing into it as society/cultural norms demand.
Non-union electricians make very good money and electrician is a trade. The Navy taught me electronics which is not a trade but I crossed over to electrician with relative ease and never went to electrician school. I did buy electrician books and read them.
Thanks from xMathFanx
Twisted Sister is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Education

Tags
college, decide, grads, high, isnít, school, worth



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remarks by the First Lady at Discussion with High School and College Students The White House The White House 0 April 18th, 2014 05:40 AM
High court to decide on war memorial CNN Current Events 1 October 5th, 2009 10:53 AM
23% of Oklahoma High School Students waitingtables Current Events 9 September 21st, 2009 07:25 AM
High School Senior's Nude Photos Posted Around School tadpole256 Education 15 March 19th, 2007 07:00 AM
23% of Oklahoma High School Students Education 0 December 31st, 1969 04:00 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.