Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Education

Education Educational System Forum - For topics and discussions about the educational system


Thanks Tree47Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2015, 12:26 PM   #91
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
So what if you are the top in your class in psychology? you don't have a job when you get out..
That idea, that degrees that aren't aligned to specific jobs that you're likely to get are useless, is actually totally false. Some of the liberal arts degrees actually perform much better than some of the math, finance and science degrees. Keep in mind that most jobs don't have any particular degree that aligns with them. They're just looking for people who have proven they can write well, analyze complex topics, etc.
tuhaybey is offline  
Old January 18th, 2015, 12:40 PM   #92
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 18,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
This is a very important policy for the future.
When k-12 free education was made the norm in the 19th century, a high school degree was an aspiration that most never reached, and it was close to a guarantee of employment at a decent wage. Today, the economy is producing fewer and fewer jobs at decent wages for those without at least some college education, so two year colleges and eventually four year colleges and even grad school has to become free, to generate the numbers of graduates the country will need to sustain the economy.
Or we just open the doors to let in all the foreign professionals to take the best jobs....
Isn't this government allowing business to bring in cheap educated labor now? Maybe you should take a look at why college tuition is so high. A basic K-12 education is the extent of the responsibility of citizens. For those seeking higher education the responsibility falls on them. They reap the reward let them pay for it. It is not the responsibility of citizens to pay for education on somebody's whim.
caconservative is offline  
Old January 18th, 2015, 12:43 PM   #93
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 36,150
10 College Degrees With Worst Employment Prospects - TheRichest

7 of the 10 are liberal arts

1 architecture
2 Photographic arts
3 fine arts
4 communications
5 Information Systems
6 philosphy
7 anthropology
8 History
9 Ethnic studies
10. Economics
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old January 18th, 2015, 12:46 PM   #94
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 18,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuhaybey View Post
That idea, that degrees that aren't aligned to specific jobs that you're likely to get are useless, is actually totally false. Some of the liberal arts degrees actually perform much better than some of the math, finance and science degrees. Keep in mind that most jobs don't have any particular degree that aligns with them. They're just looking for people who have proven they can write well, analyze complex topics, etc.
If we are to look at the worst paying degrees, where would liberal arts stand?
caconservative is offline  
Old January 18th, 2015, 12:48 PM   #95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 18,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
10 College Degrees With Worst Employment Prospects - TheRichest

7 of the 10 are liberal arts

1 architecture
2 Photographic arts
3 fine arts
4 communications
5 Information Systems
6 philosphy
7 anthropology
8 History
9 Ethnic studies
10. Economics
My cousin has a degree in philosophy. She's flipping hamburgers in Santa Cruz. Her dad's PISSED!
caconservative is offline  
Old January 18th, 2015, 12:49 PM   #96
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 36,150
Medical Laboratory Technologists a U.S. News & World Report ?Best Career? for 2011 | Dark Daily
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old January 18th, 2015, 03:45 PM   #97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
10 College Degrees With Worst Employment Prospects - TheRichest

7 of the 10 are liberal arts

1 architecture
2 Photographic arts
3 fine arts
4 communications
5 Information Systems
6 philosphy
7 anthropology
8 History
9 Ethnic studies
10. Economics
Generally speaking, the more concrete trade-like degrees pay off the best short term and the more abstract degrees pay off the best long term. The degrees that gain the least from starting salary to mid career salary are:

Physician assistant
Nursing
Nutrition
Interior design
Education
Hospitality & tourism
Information technology

The degrees where salaries go up the most between starting and mid-career are:

Math
Philosophy
International relations
Economics
Marketing
Physics
Political science
Chemistry
Journalism

By mid-career, the 75th percentile of people with economics degrees are making $145k. That's more than any other degree. Philosophy majors at the 75th percentile are making $127k. Political science majors are making $114k. International relations majors are making $111. History majors are at $103. And that's just the 75th percentile. The people at the 90th percentile with economics degrees make $210k, philosophy degrees $168k, history $149k, etc. Those liberal arts degrees are right up there with hard science and engineering degrees by mid career.

The worst degrees to have by mid career are all degrees that are tied to a specific job. For example, the people at the 75th percentile with nutrition degrees make $70k, interior design $72k, education $73k, forestry $78k, health care administration $79k, etc.

WSJ.com
tuhaybey is offline  
Old January 19th, 2015, 05:00 AM   #98
Senior Member
 
tristanrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 23,915
OMG - the arts are risky venues to enter into?

who knew?

whoEVER took a college course in any of the arts - fine or performing - that this wasn't stressed on an almost DAILY basis?

it shouldn't be a surprise to anybody who takes an arts career path that it's going to be an uphill ride. And I say this as a person with a bachelors and 2 masters in performing arts. Knowing it's going to be a struggle has NEVER been a secret.
tristanrobin is offline  
Old January 19th, 2015, 05:28 AM   #99
Talent on loan from god
 
Camelot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 27,498
We have lost our low tech manufacturing jobs to cheap Third World labor markets. Future blue collar jobs in America will be dependent on high tech manufacturing skills. Industry has worked very well with 2 year colleges to design programs to train workers for high tech manufacturing jobs. This program is designed to expand on that synergy between industry and 2 year colleges. Reject it and I'm sure that other countries will fill the vacuum for American manufacturers looking for a qualified work force.
Camelot is offline  
Old January 19th, 2015, 06:12 AM   #100
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 36,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuhaybey View Post
Generally speaking, the more concrete trade-like degrees pay off the best short term and the more abstract degrees pay off the best long term. The degrees that gain the least from starting salary to mid career salary are:

Physician assistant
Nursing
Nutrition
Interior design
Education
Hospitality & tourism
Information technology

The degrees where salaries go up the most between starting and mid-career are:

Math
Philosophy
International relations
Economics
Marketing
Physics
Political science
Chemistry
Journalism

By mid-career, the 75th percentile of people with economics degrees are making $145k. That's more than any other degree. Philosophy majors at the 75th percentile are making $127k. Political science majors are making $114k. International relations majors are making $111. History majors are at $103. And that's just the 75th percentile. The people at the 90th percentile with economics degrees make $210k, philosophy degrees $168k, history $149k, etc. Those liberal arts degrees are right up there with hard science and engineering degrees by mid career.

The worst degrees to have by mid career are all degrees that are tied to a specific job. For example, the people at the 75th percentile with nutrition degrees make $70k, interior design $72k, education $73k, forestry $78k, health care administration $79k, etc.

WSJ.com
problem is only 10% of those that graduate with an economics degree got a job offer (I think the data was 2013.. have to go back and check.

it was the 10th worst degree for finding a job after graduation.

In 1990s my daughter graduated with a College Scholars degree (consisted of 3 degrees) Economics German and Finance.. She worked as a paid intern with Deutsche Bank in Risk Assessment after graduation she worked in Germany for 3 years.
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Education

Tags
college, community, free



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
no free speech on college campuses webguy4 Freedom of Speech 43 May 22nd, 2018 07:48 PM
Bonanza:Get free Iphones 32GB 3Gs for free barud101 Environment 1 October 11th, 2009 12:18 PM
Bonanza:Get free Iphones 32GB 3Gs for free barud101 Business & Industries 0 October 11th, 2009 10:53 AM
Ca's largest COMMUNITY college supports traditional marriage Tirya Gay and Lesbian Rights 6 November 5th, 2008 03:45 AM
Free market . . . but what about free movement? Fanny Kaplan Immigration 10 October 7th, 2008 08:42 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.