Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Education

Education Educational System Forum - For topics and discussions about the educational system


Thanks Tree47Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2015, 12:32 PM   #61
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 36,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
Which dodges the question.
You asked a question, I don't know if IVY League 2 year programs would be covered. (would they count as a community college)..

I do know that Volunteer State is ~2600/year. There is no on campus living.
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old January 12th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #62
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Between everywhere
Posts: 30,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
You asked a question, I don't know if IVY League 2 year programs would be covered. (would they count as a community college)..

I do know that Volunteer State is ~2600/year. There is no on campus living.
And I've heard that Harvard is $40,000/yr. That might explain the cost difference between Obama's free college plan, which is for one year, and the total student loan. But of course you want to avoid that at all costs.
RNG is offline  
Old January 12th, 2015, 12:57 PM   #63
I'm debt free
 
TNVolunteer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lebanon, TN
Posts: 36,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
And I've heard that Harvard is $40,000/yr. That might explain the cost difference between Obama's free college plan, which is for one year, and the total student loan. But of course you want to avoid that at all costs.
I don't believe in loans.. I am a Pay as you go Kind of Guy.

Worked great for my Daughters, they graduated 4 years no debt.. they did the J.O.B. Scholarship Program work 40 hours and go to school.

Oldest Daughter had a paid internship at Deutsche Bank as well as on campus jobs, she later went to work with the bank in Germany.
TNVolunteer73 is offline  
Old January 12th, 2015, 01:06 PM   #64
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur View Post
What this tells us is that pre K-12 has become a miserable failure.
Explain. How does the fact that you make more if you go to community college than if you don't go to any college mean that K-12 is a failure? The same is true all the way up the spectrum- the more education you get, the higher your earnings are on average.
tuhaybey is offline  
Old January 12th, 2015, 01:07 PM   #65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
Just 6 billion a year...

Total Student loan debt is 1,200 billion... (I guess that was created at 6 billion baby steps every year).
I'd like to see us invest a whole lot more than $6b/year. IMO, it is silly that we are allowing the cost of education discourage anybody from getting it. It is an investment that pays off 20-to-1. Whatever barriers there are to getting as much education as you can ought to be removed.
tuhaybey is offline  
Old January 12th, 2015, 01:28 PM   #66
Banned
 
excalibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Milky Way
Posts: 24,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Yep, it's on a par with the conservative mental disorder.

I'll repeat, as liberals add 2+2 and come up with anything but 4.

Quote:


So after pre K-12 they are at a 7th grade reading level, you now feel we should make it essentially pre K-14 so their reading levels will reach the 8th grade level?

What were they doing with pre K-12, and the Head Start programs, to attain such lofty reading levels and makes you believe that two years of CC will really get them going?

The liberal-left lied about pre K, and about Head Start, they have not done 10 worth of good is apparent, and studies show that. Yet those programs are now sacred cows, and two free years of CC would eventually become the same. And those C+ grades will naturally be all the rage, As I wrote previously, look at the Dean's list at Columbia, the percent on that list; look at the honor's list at Harvard, the percent on that list. Sham on top of a sham.

So we have the liberal-left wet dream of pre-K, and Head Start, none of which have improved education one bit as promised, yet keep getting funded. Which is how the feds work, keep funding failed policies. And now, after that fail, we are to buy into free CC? It is the liberal-left who took over education long ago that produce citizens with a 7th grade reading level after pre-K - 12.

Yep..... Liberalism is a mental disorder.


Thanks from Jimmyb and roastpork
excalibur is offline  
Old January 12th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 18,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethat View Post
Can anyone else afford to pay for it?
We're $18 trillion in debt with another $100 trillion in unsecured debt. Now really....come on.
caconservative is offline  
Old January 12th, 2015, 03:12 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
BubbaJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur View Post
So after pre K-12 they are at a 7th grade reading level, you now feel we should make it essentially pre K-14 so their reading levels will reach the 8th grade level?

What were they doing with pre K-12, and the Head Start programs, to attain such lofty reading levels and makes you believe that two years of CC will really get them going?

The liberal-left lied about pre K, and about Head Start, they have not done 10 worth of good is apparent, and studies show that. Yet those programs are now sacred cows, and two free years of CC would eventually become the same. And those C+ grades will naturally be all the rage, As I wrote previously, look at the Dean's list at Columbia, the percent on that list; look at the honor's list at Harvard, the percent on that list. Sham on top of a sham.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.


And tell us, WHERE exactly did you get YOUR education ????? Would you be among the silver spoon privileged whose mommy and daddy paid for those wonderful private schools and then college ???
BubbaJones is offline  
Old January 12th, 2015, 03:13 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Posts: 18,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuhaybey View Post
I'd like to see us invest a whole lot more than $6b/year. IMO, it is silly that we are allowing the cost of education discourage anybody from getting it. It is an investment that pays off 20-to-1. Whatever barriers there are to getting as much education as you can ought to be removed.
If it were about money spent for child we should be at the top of educational list but, we're 35th. How about we fix K-12 before we consider anything else.
caconservative is offline  
Old January 12th, 2015, 04:05 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by caconservative View Post
If it were about money spent for child we should be at the top of educational list but, we're 35th. How about we fix K-12 before we consider anything else.
I agree that we should look at whether we ought to be taking a different approach in education, but that doesn't mean that nothing that costs money is an improvement, it just means that money isn't the only consideration. We know without a doubt that more people getting more education is an improvement.
tuhaybey is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Education

Tags
college, community, free



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
no free speech on college campuses webguy4 Freedom of Speech 43 May 22nd, 2018 07:48 PM
Bonanza:Get free Iphones 32GB 3Gs for free barud101 Environment 1 October 11th, 2009 12:18 PM
Bonanza:Get free Iphones 32GB 3Gs for free barud101 Business & Industries 0 October 11th, 2009 10:53 AM
Ca's largest COMMUNITY college supports traditional marriage Tirya Gay and Lesbian Rights 6 November 5th, 2008 03:45 AM
Free market . . . but what about free movement? Fanny Kaplan Immigration 10 October 7th, 2008 08:42 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.