Political Forums  

Go Back   Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Education

Education Educational System Forum - For topics and discussions about the educational system


Thanks Tree69Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2016, 06:00 AM   #121
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: nashville TN
Posts: 3
Can you say bankruptcy...

1968 on steroids...

http://www.booster.com/standupdontshutup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg standupdontshutup01.jpg (40.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg standupdontshutup02.jpg (42.7 KB, 0 views)
BigLove is offline  
Old February 20th, 2016, 08:33 AM   #122
RNG
Senior Member
 
RNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: LA LA Land North
Posts: 24,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
I'm sure we won't agree on this issue, but I'm weighing in. I graduated from a Wesleyan University so this issue piqued my interest. Our daughter-in-law is a professor so I've heard all sorts of interesting scenarios. I am not worried in the least that newspaper funding will be stripped, because Wesleyan Universities graduates are NOW famous, wealthy columnists for literary giants. Their financial contributions will keep the Argus afloat.
But here's the bottom line. Trends come and go. I seriously doubt if you would be so outraged IF the trend were swinging in the opposite direction--if the college campuses and newspapers were advocating conservative lifestyles--abstinence, Christianity, pro-gun, etc.
The First Amendment is not an absolute concept, and that is why it is so difficult to administer and so essential to a free society and an educated population. Community interests and civility must be weighed in the balance. Campuses are in no way obliged to permit speech that poses a threat of imminent danger, lawlessness or the destruction of either public or private property. Campus newspapers are not free to print whatever they want; the law of libel applies to them just as it applies to every other journalistic enterprise. Child pornography is unacceptable, whether on or off the campus. What is criminal away from the campus is criminal on campus. Universities are not islands. They are part of a larger community of values and interests.
Thoughts?
The problem is that non-libelous criticism of certain groups is instantly classed as being non-PC and/or hurtful. Which is just plain wrong. I criticize Obama but that doesn't make me racist. I criticize the Senator from Israel but that doesn't make me anti semitic. I criticize some BLM stances and actions but that doesn't make me racist or pro-death. But many, especially young people it appears, immediately jump to that conclusion without thinking.
Thanks from Panther and Twisted Sister
RNG is offline  
Old February 20th, 2016, 08:31 PM   #123
The Posters of Meh
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Texas
Posts: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara007 View Post
I'm sure we won't agree on this issue, but I'm weighing in.
Maybe not, but that doesn't mean i would lose any respect for a person who disagrees with me.

Quote:
I graduated from a Wesleyan University so this issue piqued my interest. Our daughter-in-law is a professor so I've heard all sorts of interesting scenarios. I am not worried in the least that newspaper funding will be stripped, because Wesleyan Universities graduates are NOW famous, wealthy columnists for literary giants. Their financial contributions will keep the Argus afloat.
Good for them. But i may be missing your point. The main point i drew from this is the threats (Non-violent to my knowledge at this time) and the carrying out of said threats just because someone wrote an opposing view critical of BLM.
I think you are right, The Argus will stay afloat thanks to the Alumni's, but only for as long as they got the message from the most sensitive of students in not providing a sounding board for those who disagree with them.

Quote:
But here's the bottom line. Trends come and go. I seriously doubt if you would be so outraged IF the trend were swinging in the opposite direction--if the college campuses and newspapers were advocating conservative lifestyles--abstinence, Christianity, pro-gun, etc.
This is one trend (If it can be called that) that this country could have done without, from any political standpoint, silencing opposing views. And no, i wouldn't be outraged if it was swinging in the opposite direction to a more level ground if campuses and University newspapers were allowed to advocate conservative issues as long as there was an openly allowed political counter points to the same conservative issues addressed.
I mean, i imagine this: what would our heavily influenced enlightenment culture be like now if Voltaire, Descartes, Adam Smith, John Locke, Kant, Galileo, Hegel and a host of other great minds (Men and Women alike) hadn't dared themselves to do an impossible if they couldn't handle criticisms in any form from anyone and declared any public space their safe zone so that they could recuperate from opposing views that challenged their beliefs which they felt were too extremely abusive of their sensitivities?

But then again. That may not click with anyone. What do they matter? After all, all of them are dead white people to contemporary education. Do they really matter? Sure it sounds like a nonsensical question. But a question i have heard raised here and there on more than one occasion. And just to hear it asked once is enough to raise the alarm bells of anyone who is concerned about the direction education, and in not only the US, but also in the West.

But that is just me, i reckon. Maybe i don't get the emotion that seems to have over taken our universities and colleges of late.


Quote:
The First Amendment is not an absolute concept, and that is why it is so difficult to administer and so essential to a free society and an educated population. Community interests and civility must be weighed in the balance. Campuses are in no way obliged to permit speech that poses a threat of imminent danger, lawlessness or the destruction of either public or private property. Campus newspapers are not free to print whatever they want; the law of libel applies to them just as it applies to every other journalistic enterprise. Child pornography is unacceptable, whether on or off the campus. What is criminal away from the campus is criminal on campus. Universities are not islands. They are part of a larger community of values and interests.
Thoughts?
Respectfully i ask this, do you think understanding and respecting the 1st amendment is going to get any easier with each new subsequent generation that follows one another and accepts such a dangerous precedent which closes and shuts out opposing viewpoints? I mean, just look at us now. Is the country doing good now? Are we getting anything getting done? Are we listening to one another? No, not in the least. We're at each others throats over the most basic of things which common sense would resolve in due time, if we were not so twisted with our emotions and in our logic.

Because that is how i see it currently. This isn't a trend, but a dangerous precedent. But then i would be most happy to be proven wrong on this issue. I hope time does prove me wrong and i blew this concern of mine out of proportion.


I've gone on long enough. Hope i didn't stray too much or very far from the points i hoped to address?
Panther is offline  
Old February 20th, 2016, 08:39 PM   #124
The Posters of Meh
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Texas
Posts: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzza View Post
It would make more sense if we could see the student column in question. For some reason, nothing about its content was mentioned in that blurb. I won't just take their word for it.
We are in agreement here. If it is freely available on the net and if you ever happen to find it before i ever can, then please feel free to post it to this thread. I may have to rethink my opinion.

Quote:
Also, I think it is wise for businesses to listen to their customers. If you do something to piss off a large body of your customer base, you might want to rethink what you did.
Before this statement, I've never ever thought of colleges and universities being run like burger King runs its franchise.

I've always thoughts of higher ed as places to learn, and not places that cater to the way students think or demand they should be taught or else face the consequences.
Panther is offline  
Old February 20th, 2016, 08:45 PM   #125
The Posters of Meh
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Texas
Posts: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
The problem is that non-libelous criticism of certain groups is instantly classed as being non-PC and/or hurtful. Which is just plain wrong. I criticize Obama but that doesn't make me racist. I criticize the Senator from Israel but that doesn't make me anti semitic. I criticize some BLM stances and actions but that doesn't make me racist or pro-death. But many, especially young people it appears, immediately jump to that conclusion without thinking.
In six sentences and one paragraph, you did what i could not do after i pounded out five or six hundred sentences contained in fifty paragraphs; You summed it up nicely.
Panther is offline  
Old February 20th, 2016, 08:46 PM   #126
Senior Member
 
Twisted Sister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Brown Township, Ohio
Posts: 9,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNG View Post
The problem is that non-libelous criticism of certain groups is instantly classed as being non-PC and/or hurtful. Which is just plain wrong. I criticize Obama but that doesn't make me racist. I criticize the Senator from Israel but that doesn't make me anti semitic. I criticize some BLM stances and actions but that doesn't make me racist or pro-death. But many, especially young people it appears, immediately jump to that conclusion without thinking.
I agree with you wholeheartedly but how is this self-defeating trend going to be reversed? When I hired on there was no HR in the company. Then HR was instituted and HR brought in unskilled employees who used HR over petty grievances. When I retired HR in the company had been eliminated and it is a multibillion dollar privately held international company. Eliminate HR and Catbert.
Twisted Sister is offline  
Reply

  Defending The Truth Political Forum > Political Issues > Education

Tags
campuses, college, conversation



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The coming of a perfect storm on US college campuses? Panther Education 3 August 16th, 2015 03:36 PM
no free speech on college campuses webguy4 Freedom of Speech 41 October 3rd, 2014 03:28 PM
Call To Boycott Israel Grow On US Campuses skews13 Current Events 17 December 11th, 2013 09:50 AM
Can you imagine a conversation with Hillary bullwinkle Politicians 1 February 4th, 2007 09:43 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2005-2013 Defending The Truth. All rights reserved.